Nov 15

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

A special note from Mary: I’d like to thank you for being such a fun and supportive audience. It’s been my pleasure to blog with you over the past five years. It is now time for me to move on to new adventures. Although I must bid you farewell, I leave you in the capable hands of HGTV.com editor Kayla, who will be keeping you updated on the latest Blog Cabin developments. Kayla loves furniture with a history, her cat, D’Artagnan, and crafting with lots of glitter. If you read HGTV’s Design Happens blog, then I’m sure you recognize her — check out her posts here. Now, let’s hear from Kayla for her very first post!

Wow — talk about a warm introduction! Hi, everyone. I’m so happy to join the Blog Cabin community and interact with you all about the soon-to-be stunning home you’re going to get to know inside and out. I’ve always had a view of the Smoky Mountains from my window, so I’ve loved seeing past homes get a taste of mountain life, too. When it comes to location, I’ll always have a soft spot for Blog Cabin 2009‘s Asheville, N.C. surroundings. Design-wise, I find myself going back to the vintage-chic, waterfront home from 2011. I just want to cozy up with a glass of wine in that great room. Before we dive into this year’s home, let’s reminisce and get to know each other. From the first home in Kinzel Springs, Tenn. to this year’s Atlantic, N.C. residence, what’s your favorite Blog Cabin?

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

Now, let’s get right down to business. Thinking caps on. Here’s your first clue to uncover the location of Blog Cabin 2014. Take a look at the water, wildlife, foliage … what are they telling you? My lips are sealed, but I’m ready to see those comments!

Check back Monday for clue number two.

• Posted at 3:27 pm on November 11, 2013

1. – I Think the Photo Looks simaluar to a location on Lake Tahoe <3

Joni on November 16, 2013 at 1:56 pm
  2. I would say on the Gulf coast..pan handle of Florida or Alabama.

kim beasley on November 16, 2013 at 1:59 pm
    • That is what I was thinking at first. I just don't know that area that well to know the vegetation.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm
  3. looks to me like bayou country.

bob on November 16, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    • really? I always think of bayou country having Spanish moss.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    • Still could have Spanish moss, Eugenia. We haven't seen a tree yet. I'm not too keen on Bayou, due to alligator and snake propagation, cottonmouths, for example–or even Florida anymore–too many pythons let loose and settling in! Ugh!

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 5:13 pm
    • Not to mention those scary sinkholes!:'(

SID on November 16, 2013 at 6:24 pm
    • …those too! o.0:(

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 6:29 pm
    • SID beat me too it. Sink holes and Hurricanes worry far more than alligators and snakes.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm
    • Yeah, but alligators and snakes=more frequent and propagate.=/:S

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 6:30 pm
    • Last years DH was in Charleston, SC and there was a local blogger that gave us all sorts of information about alligators. I guess alligator tails are a good thing to Grill (or BBQ) I never did figure out the difference. Now the snakes …… I guess you have to live in heavy duty boots and ware a wide brimmed hat when walking under trees.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    • Eugenia, Alligator meat is very good, not wild-tasting at all, as lots of game is. But they grow and propagate and eat pets. I have had a large share of encounters with snakes and hate them more with each one, poisonous or not. Once a huge 7ft. black snake fell off my former barn door directly on my head, down my neck and to the ground. Of course I didn't see it before the fact and only realized the situation as I screamed and turned to see this long retreating reptile, while I shivered with the willies for hours after the incident. I don't know which of us was more frightened. Element of surprise. king snakes like this one are actually territorial and good to have around, for they eat the poisonous ones. But snakes are snakes, and even non-poisonous can bite, if they are disturbed, especially, if they'r ma ting. What are you going to do? Walk up to it and ask "are you in the middle of…?" And they say, "well, uh, yes, why don't you come back later?" I just don't like them dropping on my head and down my back! What is extremely bothersome to me is, however, the proliferation of constrictor and pythons in the deep South! They aren't native to USA, but are thriving due to temperatures and plentiful small prey, so they're achieving huge sizes, while pet snake owners keep turning them loose! These species get big enough to kill and eat humans, aside from biting and breaking bones. Hats will do no good against a fast hungry big python–sorry. Too many years living in Brazil, where huge constrictors are common….o.0:S

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 7:56 pm
    • When I was a kid we went camping every summer. The year we ran into a rattle snake, I found out everything I could about them and refused to go camping the next year until my dad bought me a snake bite kit. He thought I was joking. When it came time to leave I would not budge. After a lot of yelling and screaming he went out and bought me one and I happily went camping every summer; that snake bite kit never left my side.
      Now python are a completely different story.
      On the whole I like snakes (non-poisonous) I just never want to see those that can kill me.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 8:34 pm
    • Kitty, we have lots of snakes here in the AR mountains too. Thankfully I've never had one drop on my head!:o Yikes, keep it up, girlfriend, and you're going to convince me to move back to the snowy NorthEast!:'( I guess every place but heaven has it's downside, and even if it is perfect none of us really wants to hurry off to heaven!;)

SID on November 16, 2013 at 10:15 pm
    • Great points Sid.

Lessie on November 16, 2013 at 11:02 pm
    • ok guys i love the terrain in this clue, but will do what i can to avoid alligators and snakes especially for dinner….i live in big boots when in the yard here in Texas…..we have coral snake propogating in the green spaces around the houses here on our little island; you definitely develop snake eyes living on the gulf coast. and southeast……….however well worth the pleasures of living in these natural almost tropical areas….

twoTERRIERs on November 16, 2013 at 8:15 pm
    • They really need to do a Blog Cabin in the Pacific Northwest (on the western side of the mountains) Other than brown recluse spiders we don't have anything that is poisonous.
      The creepiest things around are the abundance of slugs. I have never met anyone who could not out run a slug. ;)

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 8:37 pm
    • xD

SID on November 16, 2013 at 10:16 pm
    • you know they could be northwest without banana plant…..price of property is so much higher in northwest than south.

twoTERRIERs on November 17, 2013 at 12:42 am
    • I've never been to the gulf coast, but it seems reasonable that the BC 2014 location could be somewhere in that reason. Up until now, between the storms, the heat, and the wildlife, I've been scared off from it's balmy breezes (or so I've heard) and sparkling waters (I assume). It would be fun to learn more about the region, but I'm hoping for someplace a bit further north.

TwoCorgis on November 16, 2013 at 10:44 pm
    • agree but expenses much cheaper in other areas…

twoTERRIERs on November 17, 2013 at 12:43 am
    • Looks like a toss up of Low Country or bayou to me. I've seen the Atlantic Ocean many times amazingly calm. The land looks marshy, and the area tropical. Makes me think of Southport, NC, Beaufort, SC, Biloxi, MS and yes places in Lousianna. We have trees dripping with Spanish moss all through the coastal south.

Mel on November 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm
  4. Diffinitely looks like somewhere on the gulf, not sure where they have snapping turtles!

Linda on November 16, 2013 at 2:11 pm
    • Didn't we talk about snapping turtles in BC 2013 at Atlantic NC?

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:52 pm
  5. Am really excited to watch the new build. The clue does look like a waterfront of a lake or inter coastal waterway. I would assume not NC this time though, so I am going with the Gulf coast.

lindaboren1957 on November 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm
  6. My guess from looking at all the clues in the picture I would have to say South Baton Rouge Louisiana.

Wendy Collier on November 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm
  7. Unless the palm is a hardier variety than most, it is definitely in the South on a large body of water – not the Atlantic, though as there are no swells; ergo, must be somewhere on the Gulf Coast where you can find sea oats. Condition of dock suggests hurricane exposure. Florida Panhandle? Louisiana? Galveston, TX? Mississippi?

Carol on November 16, 2013 at 2:33 pm
  8. Looks beautiful wherever it is. Can't wait to find out!

Susan on November 16, 2013 at 2:52 pm
  9. #1 Dear, Dear Mary! "We've grown accustomed to your Fac…" uh, Fantastic Blog-Keeping over the past few years! Thank you for the fun and for all the memories! Here's hoping you will enjoy your next role and thrive mightily in all you do! In case you haven't had the time to read this Bloggie Groups' Stories, which Starred You~~Mary, you need to put your own thinking cap on and go back to Blog Cabin 2012, circa the late Fall through January, I think, thereabouts. We never knew whether you read your stories–all of which, I assure you, were lovingly written~~But THAT particular period on this Blog and with the wonderful Maine Blog Cabin that lost its powder room and stairs to the basement, was the FUNNIEST BLOG, WITH 2-3 very different and creatively written TERRIFIC ADVENTURES STARRING MARY! Our Blog continues to be awesome, because we are close-knit and caring and we all are loyal to DIY. But nothing compares to the HILARITY of that Blog Season!!! LOL doesn't begin to describe some of our antics, nor the amount of time some of us spent rolling on the floor, laughing till we nearly burst!!! And then, there were YOUR STORIES WE WROTE. PLEASE DON'T MISS THEM, for they are indicators of our loyalty and hearts for you! Thank you, Mary and Best Wishes! <3B);)xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 2:57 pm
    • Kitty helping write those stories was a lot of fun for me. I always imagined that if Mary read them she laughed until she cried, especially the one where she was held captive by actress Betty White!

Mary did a great job with the blog, and is a gifted writer. My favorite posts of hers were when she reported from the Blog Cabins as she visited them upon their completion. I lapped up every detail she fed us like a starved soul. Excuse me for my cheesiness, but for Mary's tireless Blog service I want to dedicate this song: Thank You by Natalie Merchant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ZjrGdlNDo

Mel on November 16, 2013 at 5:43 pm
    • You ARE a fabulous writer, Mel~~I hope we have the occasion to do an encore this time! I STILL chuckle at your ending with Betty White! How DO you come up with such an imagination??? :D I think Betty would love it! The stories that came out of those weeks of quiet and boredom were so fun. Some of our exchanges, also, were funny as slapstick and I still don't know HOW we got that giddy and funny! I spent a few nights reading bedtime stories to Gary from our Bloggie entries and he laughed so hard he almost fell out of bed! Those were the days… I make a motion we do it again! Thanks for the music link too. Lovely! ^_^xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 8:53 pm
    • Kitty you are a great writer, and yes writing those stories for Mary was fun!
      I also enjoyed reading DBCoop's pirate stories, and us talking like pirates in honor of the infamous Blackbeard the Pirate that lost his head at Ocracoke….
      AAAArrrrRR it were a fine year to be an ole salt wit sea lovin' legs when we sang 'er sea shanties whilst gulping grog on the sandy beaches of the Carolina coast. Plundering an searchin fer treasure we were! As the crow flies, might we be headin' into more pirate waters? Kayla wilst have ter tell the tale…of the next BC adventure fer all us hearty buccaneers.

Mel on November 17, 2013 at 9:12 am
    • Those were fun, Kitty, thanks for reminding me.

Windsmurf on November 18, 2013 at 10:49 am
  10. #2 Dear Kayla, It is, indeed a great honor and gonna' be a lot of fun getting to know you on this Blog! Welcome and watch out! ;) :p We can be a bunch of impish kids at times, and may press our concepts to the core, but that's because we Bloggies often have a good grasp of what the Blog Cabin may need, so I really hope that suggestions from the peanut gallery will again (as in 2010 1nd 2011) become part of the radar, for consideration. This is, for the most part a very tight Blog, as we've come to know one another, and are aware that there are some very intelligent folks following your terrific SCRIPPS/DIY Network Production, not only as part of DIY, but also on this Blog! :D For my part, it's hard to pick one Blog Cabin as my favorite build. I am grateful, MOST OF ALL, for the BLOG!!! This is my favorite! There are components to each BC that were/are fabulous! All Design Teams Excelled! Some decisions hit the floor with loud thuds…. But all in all, the CONCEPT~~along with the Bloggie participation, still remains MY favorite part, because, whether or not my name is ever drawn from among the millions, I WIN~~EVERY TIME! Welcome to MY winning Bloggie Group! :D Truly hope you enjoy ~~we LOVE interaction, Kayla~~hope you do too!!!^_^xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    • Hi, DwnSoDwnEaster! Thank you so much for the welcome. I'm ready to get to know you all. You seem like a fun bunch. Blog Cabin 2014!

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:33 pm