Nov 15

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

A special note from Mary: I’d like to thank you for being such a fun and supportive audience. It’s been my pleasure to blog with you over the past five years. It is now time for me to move on to new adventures. Although I must bid you farewell, I leave you in the capable hands of HGTV.com editor Kayla, who will be keeping you updated on the latest Blog Cabin developments. Kayla loves furniture with a history, her cat, D’Artagnan, and crafting with lots of glitter. If you read HGTV’s Design Happens blog, then I’m sure you recognize her — check out her posts here. Now, let’s hear from Kayla for her very first post!

Wow — talk about a warm introduction! Hi, everyone. I’m so happy to join the Blog Cabin community and interact with you all about the soon-to-be stunning home you’re going to get to know inside and out. I’ve always had a view of the Smoky Mountains from my window, so I’ve loved seeing past homes get a taste of mountain life, too. When it comes to location, I’ll always have a soft spot for Blog Cabin 2009‘s Asheville, N.C. surroundings. Design-wise, I find myself going back to the vintage-chic, waterfront home from 2011. I just want to cozy up with a glass of wine in that great room. Before we dive into this year’s home, let’s reminisce and get to know each other. From the first home in Kinzel Springs, Tenn. to this year’s Atlantic, N.C. residence, what’s your favorite Blog Cabin?

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

Now, let’s get right down to business. Thinking caps on. Here’s your first clue to uncover the location of Blog Cabin 2014. Take a look at the water, wildlife, foliage … what are they telling you? My lips are sealed, but I’m ready to see those comments!

Check back Monday for clue number two.

• Posted at 3:27 pm on November 11, 2013

1. I'd have to say this past Atlantic, NC is my fav so far, had myself all set to move in and enjoy, oh well looking forward to 2014's!!

debofsav on November 16, 2013 at 3:05 am
  2. Thank you, Mary, for all that you have done on all the blogs and HGTV projects, as well as on DIY. Blessings in your new venture.
    Greetings to Kayla. This blog can branch off into pun contests, pirate lingo, joke telling and humorous photos, wild fantasy yarns, chocolate prose and recipes, as well as mutual support and blogger news. This has always been a very supportive group with many wonderful characters !
    This year's BC was my favorite with Mathews BC a close second.

LLColeman on November 16, 2013 at 3:49 am
    • LL, you forgot to tell Kayla that Col. Meow is known to show up when things slow down on the blog.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:40 pm
    • Ha ha, Eugenia–I wanted to start off on a positive note by the mention of "humorous photos", without being more specific. If we run into long dry spells, then we may start to bring up the Flash Mob at DIY 's HQ warnings and post the Colonel's photos to get things moving….Not a coincidence, but after posting 3 of the Colonel's bad ass posts, we did get this latest thread. I will therefore not give the Colonel any credit for that one. ;) B)
      I also did not mention how opinionated I have been, and my previous tendency to get worked up over removing original charm from old homes, etc. I will try to tone that down…

LLColeman on November 17, 2013 at 12:45 am
    • Thanks for the welcome, LLColeman. I look forward to getting to know you all. What a wonderful community :)

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:29 pm
  3. Mary, Thanks for being here for all of us. Good Luck on your new adventures. Welcome Kayla. Hope you are ready to tock and roll with us.
    Favorites yes more than 1= BC2013 and BC2012.
    Now to my guess for BC 2014…Florida, my home state; but then again it could be anywhere along the Gulf Coast.

Holidaygal on November 16, 2013 at 7:05 am
    • Thanks, Holidaygal! Let's get this Blog Cabin party started! B)

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm
  4. Mary; It is sad to see you go, but each of us has enjoyed your work and hope that you will find continued success in your new position. To Kayla; Welcome to your new and challenging position. You will find us demanding, intolerant of errors and driving you to distraction on the way to perfection in our eyes. In the end most will be happy to complement what is correct and only to happy to comment on what we view as errors. We enjoy fun and often create fantasies to be part of the "cabin" .Best of luck. I am looking forward to being part of this amazing process. Favorite recent cabin was 2013, but overall favorite was the Smokie Mountains Cabin in 2009(?). Preferred the Log Cabins to most of the restorations. Would like you all to consider handicapped access in any cabin design as well as energy efficiency and preservation of natural resources. Thank you for joining the team.

YankeeNuke on November 16, 2013 at 8:42 am
    • I do hope they will give us a cabin that is energy efficient and also handicapped accessible, or as ChicagoBirder calls it Universal Design.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    • Yankee—such a beauty was the NC site, that I noticed you made no mention this year of Bigfoot in the surroundings…my theory is that the ferocious snapping turtles drove the Bigfoot / Skunk Ape clan away eons ago, LOL. ;) :p

LLColeman on November 17, 2013 at 12:35 am
    • Thanks for the welcome, YankeeNuke. I can see you all are going to keep me on my toes! ;)

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm
    • Handicap access would really be fantastic in any of the BCs as well as energy efficiency. :D

JudyInMich on November 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm
  5. 2014 Cabin Location: No waves, broken down, fixed height dock and banana or other tropical plants as well as tall grass/weeds on the bank. Probably a narrow or no tide swing. Could be GA a couple of miles inland from Atlantic Ocean.

YankeeNuke on November 16, 2013 at 8:54 am
    • You have always amazed me on how observant you are. I had not thought of the dock being fixed height. (probably because I don't live on tidal land)

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm
  6. Watts Bar Lake in Tennessee is by far my favorite Blog Cabin. Hoping for Alabama the Beautiful to be the next Blog Cabin 2014!

grswla on November 16, 2013 at 9:24 am
  7. Tampa, FL

Brenda on November 16, 2013 at 9:50 am
  8. I'm just gonna take a stab at it and say South Carolina, can't wait to see Blog Cabin 2014 & cast my votes. Thanks for the clue :)

CynleeF on November 16, 2013 at 11:38 am
  9. Atlantic, NC was the my dream cabin and retirement location. Too bad I didn't win it. The new location looks like the southern Texas Gulf coast.

John Cochran on November 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm
  10. I would guess somewhere in the gulf coast – Gulf Shores, Alabama, maybe??

jackie on November 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm