Nov 15

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

A special note from Mary: I’d like to thank you for being such a fun and supportive audience. It’s been my pleasure to blog with you over the past five years. It is now time for me to move on to new adventures. Although I must bid you farewell, I leave you in the capable hands of HGTV.com editor Kayla, who will be keeping you updated on the latest Blog Cabin developments. Kayla loves furniture with a history, her cat, D’Artagnan, and crafting with lots of glitter. If you read HGTV’s Design Happens blog, then I’m sure you recognize her — check out her posts here. Now, let’s hear from Kayla for her very first post!

Wow — talk about a warm introduction! Hi, everyone. I’m so happy to join the Blog Cabin community and interact with you all about the soon-to-be stunning home you’re going to get to know inside and out. I’ve always had a view of the Smoky Mountains from my window, so I’ve loved seeing past homes get a taste of mountain life, too. When it comes to location, I’ll always have a soft spot for Blog Cabin 2009‘s Asheville, N.C. surroundings. Design-wise, I find myself going back to the vintage-chic, waterfront home from 2011. I just want to cozy up with a glass of wine in that great room. Before we dive into this year’s home, let’s reminisce and get to know each other. From the first home in Kinzel Springs, Tenn. to this year’s Atlantic, N.C. residence, what’s your favorite Blog Cabin?

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

Now, let’s get right down to business. Thinking caps on. Here’s your first clue to uncover the location of Blog Cabin 2014. Take a look at the water, wildlife, foliage … what are they telling you? My lips are sealed, but I’m ready to see those comments!

Check back Monday for clue number two.

• Posted at 3:27 pm on November 11, 2013

1. We used to live in fort Myers Florida & still have family there. It could be down aroud there I would love to live back doen there by my kids , grand children & in-laws!

jeanie on November 15, 2013 at 9:29 pm
  2. For some reason I'm thinking Georgia too…and south carolina….

twoTERRIERs on November 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm
  3. and welcome kayla…

twoTERRIERs on November 15, 2013 at 9:35 pm
    • Thanks, twoTERRIERS! Happy to meet you!

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:23 pm
  4. New Orleans

Anthony on November 15, 2013 at 9:37 pm
  5. Mary, I never got a chance to meet you but I feel like I know you from reading the blogs for a few years now! I have retired now and am able to blog and hope I will be able to keep up with everyone! I wish you every success in your future endeavors and thanks for everything you did for our blogs!

Kayla, it is very good to meet you! I am new to blogging, I have been just reading the blogs for a few years now. I am retired now and can blog to my hearts content! Thanks for our very first clue! I have been watching Grundy's Facebook page and enjoying his little hints as well. I look forward to getting to know you and following your clues to our next fantastic BC! Btw, my fav is this years BC in Atlantic, NC. I wish next year's BC was right by Mari and Ken's house! See you Monday with the next clue! <3 Jill in FL

jchristie24 on November 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm
    • Hi, jchristie24! Thanks for the warm welcome :) I can't wait to share more Blog Cabin details with you!

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:24 pm
  6. Mary, the best to you and your family! Hopefully you've landed in a position you love and look forward to every day. Thanks for so many great memories!

Lessie on November 15, 2013 at 10:04 pm
  7. Welcome Kayla! I know you'll be an asset to the blog but I'm checking you out. Would like to know a little more about you than Mary listed. Looking forward to a wonderful journey with you.

Lessie on November 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm
    • Hi, Lessie! Thanks for the welcome! I'm happy to be apart of the Blog Cabin community and chat with you all.

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:25 pm
  8. Kayla, my favorite Blog Cabins are: 2011, 2013, and 2008.

Lessie on November 15, 2013 at 10:11 pm
    • Hi Lessie ! I definitely agree with your favorites of 2011 and 2013. What I loved best about 2008 were actually the hosts..Amy was great , and Ahmed went above and beyond in his work and communicating with the blog.( I admit to being worried about that hill directly in front of the '08 BC and wonder if a landslide might not happen. (we have too many of those during rainy years in CA, whether retaining walls were built or not. I also noticed Ahmed being overwhelmed by the flying bugs when he did his landscaping videos…) ;)

I think BC 2014 could be the best yet, but this year's will be very hard to surpass !

LLColeman on November 17, 2013 at 12:59 am
  9. As for the first clue, it appears the 2014 Blog Cabin will be in the South and on the water. Loving it!!!

Lessie on November 15, 2013 at 10:12 pm
    • How do you figure that?

LOL :)

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    • South as in below the Mason-Dixon line or south as in southern California. Do you have banana trees in Oregon? Rain, yes. Banana trees, no. :)

Lessie on November 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    • Lessie, I'm convinced that THAT "banana tree" could be found at the South Pole too! What we really have so far is a calm waterfront, rotted, old pier, tall, marshy brown-top grasses, even the birds look suspect to me. Definitely not a heron–notice there's no water ripples around its legs in the water? The other "bird" looks as though it just came out of dancing in a bowl with an egg-beater, with its feathers still attached! Photoshop? ~~"Monday! Monday…can we trust THAT day?" we'll see what Kayla has up her sleeves! B);):D

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm
  10. I agree with the Ft. Myers area. I had friends living there before they bailed (2 many hurricane issues) and moved to Colorado. They had moved from St. James Island inland, up the river from Ft. Myers. They had banana trees on their place.
    Texas and all the rest of the gulf states are too far north for banana trees, I'm thinking. Could be wrong.
    I'm pretty sure that's not a boat-tailed grackle pictured. Its beak is all wrong.
    I haven't researched all the previous BC's lately so I'll have to say my favorite was my first – BC 2013 (Go Mari & Ken!). It was a beautiful job in so many ways.
    Thanks Mary and good luck. Welcome Kayla. (Are you an Ash?) I like your cat's name. I wanted to rename my rescue kitty Athos, but where I live I knew it might be taken wrong.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm
    • Thanks for the welcome, Wind Chime Girl. Athos is a great name, too :)

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm