Nov 15

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

A special note from Mary: I’d like to thank you for being such a fun and supportive audience. It’s been my pleasure to blog with you over the past five years. It is now time for me to move on to new adventures. Although I must bid you farewell, I leave you in the capable hands of HGTV.com editor Kayla, who will be keeping you updated on the latest Blog Cabin developments. Kayla loves furniture with a history, her cat, D’Artagnan, and crafting with lots of glitter. If you read HGTV’s Design Happens blog, then I’m sure you recognize her — check out her posts here. Now, let’s hear from Kayla for her very first post!

Wow — talk about a warm introduction! Hi, everyone. I’m so happy to join the Blog Cabin community and interact with you all about the soon-to-be stunning home you’re going to get to know inside and out. I’ve always had a view of the Smoky Mountains from my window, so I’ve loved seeing past homes get a taste of mountain life, too. When it comes to location, I’ll always have a soft spot for Blog Cabin 2009‘s Asheville, N.C. surroundings. Design-wise, I find myself going back to the vintage-chic, waterfront home from 2011. I just want to cozy up with a glass of wine in that great room. Before we dive into this year’s home, let’s reminisce and get to know each other. From the first home in Kinzel Springs, Tenn. to this year’s Atlantic, N.C. residence, what’s your favorite Blog Cabin?

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

Now, let’s get right down to business. Thinking caps on. Here’s your first clue to uncover the location of Blog Cabin 2014. Take a look at the water, wildlife, foliage … what are they telling you? My lips are sealed, but I’m ready to see those comments!

Check back Monday for clue number two.

• Posted at 3:27 pm on November 11, 2013

1. west coast of fla

Karen on November 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm
  2. Oh heck, I left my thinking cap in the car and don't want to run out and get it at the moment, but for the fun of guessing, I'm going to start with the area around Palmetto, FL (Tampa/St. Pete) on the west coast or 'roundabouts Cocoa, FL (Cocoa Beach) on the east coast.

Why? Because I like the names Palmetto and Cocoa.

On the other hand, nothing could be finer than to be in (South) Carolina by Monday morning….

DBCoop on November 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    • Ok Coop! We will have to see if it is in FL! If it is then it will be road trips for me to sneek peek at the construction and the area! Then again, if it is in SC I wouldn't mind either but road trips are not in the cards for me! Have to wait till Monday for the next clue……can't wait! :p

jchristie24 on November 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm
    • DBCoop, I thought about the Palmetto area that you were talking about and there are some gorgeous areas in west Palmetto with homes from late 1800's through the 1950's that are fabulous as well as vacant land. Many properties are on the lg.Manatee/Braden rivers. I can see many of them having Blog Cabin potential.
      Wow, I almost sounded like a realtor! I think I was totally shocked to hear anyone having knowledge of my home county. I'm from Bradenton, which is just south "over the bridge". Have a great evening, I'm sooo glad we are back to blog cabins.xD

Sheri McNamara on November 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm
  3. Farewell Mary, best wishes in your new endeavors…hello and welcome Kayla! My favorite cabin is my beach cottage in Atlantic, NC (it's about an hour away from New Bern)…I also loved the one in Virginia. As for my guess on the location…it would be nice if it was next door to us as TwoCorgies proposed and be able to have some iced tea and good times with the neighbors but my wild guess is the gulf coast, probably Florida? Mari

Macusina on November 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm
    • I'm of a similar mind when it comes to favorite Blog Cabin transformations, at least so far. I fell in love with Blog Cabin 2011 in Mathews, VA and again was deeply drawn to the 2013 Atlantic, NC Blog Cabin. Both were loaded with traditional character, irresistible charm and scenic waterfront views.

Ah, but we'll have to see what the DIY folks have in store for us with Blog Cabin 2014! I have a feeling it's going to be yet another favorite and a real heart-warmer.

DBCoop on November 15, 2013 at 7:54 pm
    • I am anxiously waiting with all of you for Kayla's second clue…it is Monday…

Macusina on November 18, 2013 at 5:26 pm
    • Mari I hope that once you get settled in at your Atlantic home you will go exploring the beautiful Outer Banks.
      If you love gardens you will be in absolute heaven touring the Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo. The Manteo waterfront and downtown area reminds me of a smaller Charleston, SC. Take a ferry to Ocracoke, then from there ferry to Hatteras Island, drive north on HWY 12 until you reach Hwy 158, and turn left. You will travel through Kill Devil Hills on to Nags Head, over the bridge and then the beautiful bay side town of Manteo is yours to explore.
      At some point travel from Hatteras Island to Currituck, by taking HWY 12 North. Whalebone Junction and the Currituck Lighthouse area is like heaven on earth. It's a large area with a lot of picturesque natural areas to enjoy. Pack a picnic lunch and eat at a picnic table perfectly shaded by a Live Oak! All types of waterfowl will be providing the best entertainment by fishing in the marsh you will be looking out on.
      Be sure and stop in the town of Duck as you travel on HWY 12 for some of the most delicious made when ordered donuts you will ever eat–Duck Donuts. My husband believes it's worth traveling to the Outer Banks just to eat Duck Donuts! The wild Spanish Mustangs of Corolla are now roaming the beach at Currituck. From Duck to Currituck you will see where some of this country's wealthiest folks are building their vacation homes. You will think you are passing modern day castles on the beach, not just homes! This section of HWY 12 is changing at an unbelievable rate as more and more 10-20 plus bedroom homes are being built up and down this simple two lane highway that runs the length of the Outer Banks.
      Mari you & your family are going to make some beautiful memories in your Atlantic home. I can't express how beautiful, peaceful and even historical areas of the OBX are. Have the absolute best time discovering your own favorite destinations.

Mel on November 15, 2013 at 9:30 pm
    • Mel, thank you so much for the detailed information and recommendations. We are definitely going to check it all out. There is so much for us to explore there and it's going to be so much fun! I've never had Duck Donuts and going to try them and will report back. Ken thanks you for the directions because the area is certainly new to us.
      May you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
      Mari

Macusina on November 16, 2013 at 1:00 pm
    • Mari, you & Ken won't get lost while traveling the Outer Banks, but do be careful…at certain times of the year HWY 12 can be a bit dangerous due to impatient drivers trying to pass each other.
      I have to tell you to be on the watch for a very famous home as you make your way north on HWY 12, the Serendipity house, AKA : The Inn at Rodanthe. It will be on your right side, and is not hard to spot with it's distinctive blue shutters. If you're a fan of the Nicholas Sparks movie Nights in Rodanthe you will likely be thrilled when you see this home sitting on the Ocean side of Hatteras Island. The same company that lifted the Blog Cabin you won, and lifted the 2011 BC in VA, and moved the Hatteras Lighthouse moved the Inn at Rodanthe. It made the BC home extra special for me to know that DIY hired the Expert House Movers to try and save Dobbie's Here's a link to the story http://www.sunrealtync.com/inn-at-rodanthe-hatter

Mel on November 17, 2013 at 10:57 am
    • Hi there Mel!
      Thank you for the link, it has a lot of good information. Ken and I appreciate all the details you've shared with us. Can't wait to explore!
      Have a great holiday season with your family!
      Mari.

Macusina on November 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm
  4. Okay, here is my guess. Lake Erie, Ohio. My reason for this is the heron is the largest bird species in Ohio. And also may people say the great lakes look like a palm tree. I know I am probably on the wrong end of the map completely. But just had to through it out there.

StormyWV on November 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm
    • oooh this is good stormy…

twoTERRIERs on November 15, 2013 at 9:34 pm
    • Good one Stormy. I like the way you think.
      We don't know how Kayla thinks so this is a very viable guess.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    • Stormie, that's good thinking. I really think that green thingy that's masquerading as a "banana plant" is a prop. ;) kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 4:32 pm
  5. Beaufort, SC is my guess.
    I was impressed Grundy correctly pronounced Beaufort, NC in every episode of
    Blog Cabin 2013, Bow-fort.
    If indeed the 2014 home is in Beaufort, SC he'll need to be careful, the "Beau" part rhymes with "you" in the SC pronunciation. Bu-fort. Folks that live in the Carolinas know there's a distinct difference in how you pronounce these two towns that are spelled exactly the same!

My favorite BC home was the Atlantic, NC home. The roomy log cabin (year 2008) in TN is my second favorite.
    I'm gonna miss Mary!!

Mel on November 15, 2013 at 7:44 pm
    • Hi Mel-you have been a most gracious local guide to the locales and people of the North Carolina coastal area, and I will miss your natural history comments of the area, as I look forward to the new BC project and your future commenting !! <3

LLColeman on November 17, 2013 at 12:49 am
    • Who knew marrying a beau born and raised not far from the Outer Banks would be so advantageous??
      He's a keeper no matter where I found him.

Mel on November 17, 2013 at 11:06 am
    • ;)

LLColeman on November 17, 2013 at 8:54 pm
    • every time i look at this picture….i think south carolina…..

twoTERRIERs on November 17, 2013 at 11:30 am
    • Me too Two!!

Mel on November 17, 2013 at 12:22 pm
  6. It looks like a banana tree and a boat-tailed grackle!

AtlOcn on November 15, 2013 at 7:52 pm
  7. My fav BC is the first one 2007. As it was a new build and imo was a "Cabin". But I have enjoyed watching all the BC's. This years has been very good. Watching the Cabin Cam has been so much fun. Thanks DIY. looking forward to blogging with Kayla.

vicki_in_Utah on November 15, 2013 at 8:06 pm
    • Happy to meet you, Vicki!

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    • wow, personal greetings, I like you a lot already Kayla…

vicki_in_Utah on November 18, 2013 at 1:51 pm
  8. Nome, Alaska during the 5 days a year when there is no ice on the water

bescott440 on November 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm
    • ROFL, I think you may have something there.

I'm not sure what that is, but you got it. LOL :)

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:12 pm
  9. I am going to guess the Texas coast.

JaneM on November 15, 2013 at 8:47 pm
    • AltOcn says it is a boat-tailed grackle. The map that shows their habitat also covers parts of the Texas coast.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 4:17 pm
  10. Welcome aboard Kayla. I see you are following in "Mean Mary's" footsteps with your clues! ^_^ My favorite blog cabin was definitely Watts Bar Lake TN. Those logs and the lake shore frontage were over the top. I was all prepared to retire there with my boat!

EdinOregon on November 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm
    • I'm glad my clues are keeping you on your toes.

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:23 pm
    • Thank you for the personal response Kayla. The only time Mary responded to me, was to let me know she wasn't mean just devious! ^_^

EdinOregon on November 18, 2013 at 8:34 pm