Nov 15

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

A special note from Mary: I’d like to thank you for being such a fun and supportive audience. It’s been my pleasure to blog with you over the past five years. It is now time for me to move on to new adventures. Although I must bid you farewell, I leave you in the capable hands of HGTV.com editor Kayla, who will be keeping you updated on the latest Blog Cabin developments. Kayla loves furniture with a history, her cat, D’Artagnan, and crafting with lots of glitter. If you read HGTV’s Design Happens blog, then I’m sure you recognize her — check out her posts here. Now, let’s hear from Kayla for her very first post!

Wow — talk about a warm introduction! Hi, everyone. I’m so happy to join the Blog Cabin community and interact with you all about the soon-to-be stunning home you’re going to get to know inside and out. I’ve always had a view of the Smoky Mountains from my window, so I’ve loved seeing past homes get a taste of mountain life, too. When it comes to location, I’ll always have a soft spot for Blog Cabin 2009‘s Asheville, N.C. surroundings. Design-wise, I find myself going back to the vintage-chic, waterfront home from 2011. I just want to cozy up with a glass of wine in that great room. Before we dive into this year’s home, let’s reminisce and get to know each other. From the first home in Kinzel Springs, Tenn. to this year’s Atlantic, N.C. residence, what’s your favorite Blog Cabin?

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

Now, let’s get right down to business. Thinking caps on. Here’s your first clue to uncover the location of Blog Cabin 2014. Take a look at the water, wildlife, foliage … what are they telling you? My lips are sealed, but I’m ready to see those comments!

Check back Monday for clue number two.

• Posted at 3:27 pm on November 11, 2013

1. FL – the Gulf side

Lisa D on November 15, 2013 at 4:37 pm
  2. Mary, good luck in your new adventures, thanks for all the info and Kayla, welcome to Blog Cabin blogging duties! This looks like anywhere from Alalabama, FL, GA, NC, SC etc. need more clues.. Btw, No offense but the very first blog cabin was in Kinzel Springs, Tn. I've been around since then, not blogged as much in a few years, but keeping up with the builds. HI all of you bloggers, love Carrie Miracle (KY). My favorite would be both Kinzel Springs & Lakefront,! Both of which were in Tn and the Marshall NC home.

Carrie Miracle on November 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    • hi Carrie, Its been a long time. I also think about Helen what have you been up to. Just staying behind the scene. lol How's the wood working girl and Carter? Watts Barr that was a great time the twins etc wonder if the other twin got married ahhhh the good old days. Bloggin Bob etc. The flag those goats lol those recipes were yummy too.

MaryPA on November 17, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    • Those were the good old days MaryPA, I wonder about the twins too. They were great, maybe if the next BC is in Tn they will be back.

vicki_in_Utah on November 17, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    • Remember that guilt xD

MaryPA on November 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    • The Quilt was beautiful. Do you remember poor Amund (sp) getting shot with the nail gun? Poor guy. I sure miss him.

vicki_in_Utah on November 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    • lol he was so lucky. His show is great they can do my yard any time.xD

MaryPA on November 17, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    • Hi Mary ( PA ) I've been really busy, being mom, taking care of the family, you can find me on facebook, the other ladies & I still keep in touch via email & fb, Christen believe it or not is grown up now, she is in her 2 nd year of community college, she is studying for becoming an English teacher, writer, she's doing great for now, she's interested in journalism but focusing on basics mostly, she is keeping with her crafty side, by working at hobby lobby, she's almost 20 now, Carter is 8 years old in 2 nd grade, he still has a lot of asthmatic, breathing problems, gets sick a lot, so this keeps momma busy and we finally have moved into a bigger & better house finally, YaY! I'm still at home, daydreaming, lol, our goats, well, they are still being so naughty, travelling, just having fun enjoying the lil things, life has to offer!

Carrie Miracle on November 21, 2013 at 7:52 pm
    • And good old Watson he was a trip!

MaryPA on November 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm
    • Now the only time we hear from Watson, is if someone is very bad on the blog. LOL

vicki_in_Utah on November 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    • Thanks for the welcome, Carrie Miracle. Looks like we both love the same homes :)

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:16 pm
    • You're welcome, yes, we do, looking forward to the new home

Carrie Miracle on November 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm
  3. Sapelo Island, GA
    o.0

claudette on November 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm
  4. C YA Monday?

COOLSMILEY on November 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm
  5. In California & on the border of Nevada. On a Lake. rustic log cabin. Looks like a perfect get away. Wanda Mullins

Wanda Mullins on November 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm
  6. Banana plants don't survive Houston and around..further south..pelicans….southern gulf key west, corpus christi

twoTERRIERs on November 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm
  7. Spoiler alert! Wow that beautiful warm scene is telling me that sea level is rising, storms are approaching and to head for the hills. I agree looks like Georgia to me. Visit Loves restaurant just off 95 and have the all you can eat Cat Fish!

Ashtabulannie on November 15, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    • Hokie it tells me there will be another year of blogging about storm surge, hurricanes, coastal flooding, wave action zones, FEMA, the cost of hurricane and flood insurance, etc., etc., hope this statement doesn't make me sound to snarky, because every year of BC has been a good year.
      I was hoping though we might head to the southern mountains of VA, or the northern mountains of SC/GA or the Great Smokey mountains of eastern TN for BC 2014. If we went west, I was secretly pulling for Washington State, Utah or California. I was picturing a little log cabin tucked away on the shore of a river, lake, or pond with long range mountain views, perhaps we will head back to the hills one day?o.0

Mel on November 16, 2013 at 9:20 am
    • Yes Mel I was hoping for West, like Washington, Utah or Idaho. I know people think of potatoes when they think Idaho, but on the boarder of Idaho and Oregon there are some beautiful mountains and lakes.
      Coeur d'Alene Idaho is so pretty, I would love to have a little log cabin there. No hurricanes there.

vicki_in_Utah on November 16, 2013 at 11:05 am
    • I love the Coeur d'Alene area. There are so many wonderful places in Idaho and western Montana.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    • Lots of lakes and rivers up that way.

vicki_in_Utah on November 16, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    • Vicki the Idaho connection with potatoes would be a nice departure from discussing Hurricanes and the damage and destruction they cause.
      I think I could enjoy a year of potato recipes, or even potato jokes, these are a couple of good ones :
      Q- Why do potatoes make good Lifeguards? A–They know how to keep their eyes peeled. (insert blog laughter)
      Q- What do you call a baby potato? A- A small fry (insert more blog laughter)
      And can you imagine the potato puns? Folks content to read the blog and not participate would be spec*taters and those that do join in a conversation but it takes them a while would be hesi*taters.

Mel on November 16, 2013 at 5:02 pm
    • Very funny Mel… My mom and dad are from Idaho. We would go there for vacations it was so pretty.

vicki_in_Utah on November 16, 2013 at 5:07 pm
    • Vicki year eight of Blog Cabin is approaching and we haven't gone west yet.
      I enjoy talking like a pirate as much as the next blogger, but going west we could talk like Cowboys
      Jawin' on topics & chewin' things over, climbing into the saddle so to speak and riding along on the trail of Blog Cabin. Yee Haaaww I say lets get-along-little-doggies and head yonder West!

Mel on November 16, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    • I know Mel, every year I have kept my fingers crossed that they would come out west. Yee Haaaww… Maybe the BC could have a real basement, and not worry about the water table. I didn't know how much fun a basement could be until we moved from So. Calif to So. Utah.

vicki_in_Utah on November 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm
    • When I first saw that picture I didn't think, how wonderful tropical weather. I thought, not again!
      I know it is not a happy thought but look at the Philippines.
      I hope in the future they find us a nice cabin, either in the woods or in the mountains, far from hurricanes.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 3:51 pm
    • Eugenia the first thing I thought when I saw the pic above is it looks like that dock might have met Hurricane Isabel or Irene, mainly because of the way it's damaged.
      We aren't many years past the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, and there are quite a few guesses on the blog this could be the gulf coast. I would imagine bloggers would be concerned and blogging about the possible threat of another major Hurricane hitting that region. Hurricanes were a hot topic in blogging years 2011 & 2013.
      BC 2014 might cause a bit of deja vu if this is another southeastern coastal location.

Mel on November 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    • Another direction to consider is north. Scripps could get there for the same miles as some of the prior blog Cabins. I'm hoping the BC after this is either north or west.

ChicagoBirder on November 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm
    • Mel- I don't think that there is any need in worrying about hurricanes. I think since the news "people" are just able to get more hurricane info.I hear more and more news about horrible fires and earthquakes out that way. I think there are storm worries everywhere. I feel like the news writers tend to glorify it all. What do others in our blogging world feel?

Sheri McNamara on November 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm
  8. I really loved the Newbern House. I liked the 5 acres of privacy!!! The large yard and beautiful water front home. Kind of a Farm house effect. Love watching the HGTV Dream Homes each year. I alway enter and keep my fingers crossed. I would prefer one on the East Coast. My Family is in Atlanta and I live in the Mountains of Virginia. Would be lovely to be close enough for each family to drive and enjoy time together.
    You make this fun ever year. I will be following. Wanda Mullins

Wanda Mullins on November 15, 2013 at 4:49 pm
  9. Asheville House my favorite as well…

twoTERRIERs on November 15, 2013 at 4:54 pm
  10. Welcome Aboard Kayla! Looking forward to your posts – Follow it closely – I would have to guess this will be somewhere on the Jersey shore by the looks of things. It would be wonderful if it was, they deserve something good to happen
    Linda C – Blog Owner – Hello I Live Here – DIY Blog Ballwin MO.

Linda Crandall on November 15, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    • Thank you, Linda! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:17 pm