Nov 15

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

A special note from Mary: I’d like to thank you for being such a fun and supportive audience. It’s been my pleasure to blog with you over the past five years. It is now time for me to move on to new adventures. Although I must bid you farewell, I leave you in the capable hands of HGTV.com editor Kayla, who will be keeping you updated on the latest Blog Cabin developments. Kayla loves furniture with a history, her cat, D’Artagnan, and crafting with lots of glitter. If you read HGTV’s Design Happens blog, then I’m sure you recognize her — check out her posts here. Now, let’s hear from Kayla for her very first post!

Wow — talk about a warm introduction! Hi, everyone. I’m so happy to join the Blog Cabin community and interact with you all about the soon-to-be stunning home you’re going to get to know inside and out. I’ve always had a view of the Smoky Mountains from my window, so I’ve loved seeing past homes get a taste of mountain life, too. When it comes to location, I’ll always have a soft spot for Blog Cabin 2009‘s Asheville, N.C. surroundings. Design-wise, I find myself going back to the vintage-chic, waterfront home from 2011. I just want to cozy up with a glass of wine in that great room. Before we dive into this year’s home, let’s reminisce and get to know each other. From the first home in Kinzel Springs, Tenn. to this year’s Atlantic, N.C. residence, what’s your favorite Blog Cabin?

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

Now, let’s get right down to business. Thinking caps on. Here’s your first clue to uncover the location of Blog Cabin 2014. Take a look at the water, wildlife, foliage … what are they telling you? My lips are sealed, but I’m ready to see those comments!

Check back Monday for clue number two.

• Posted at 3:27 pm on November 11, 2013

1. Savannah, GA

Michael on November 18, 2013 at 11:10 am
  2. Mary, thanks for heading up this blog for the past couple of years, we'll miss you and hope you enjoy your next endeavor.
    Kayla, welcome aboard, Mary has left some pretty big shoes to fill. I hope you're ready to jump on in.
    My favorite was the 2013 cabin in Atlantic NC followed very closely by the 2011 cabin in Mathews VA (more specifically Susan VA). I could have been extremely happy in either one, alas that was not to be. I particularly enjoyed the cabin cam from the 2013 site that was on all of the time and that we could manipulate to see what we desired. I hope that is repeated for the 2014 cabin.
    As for the location of the 2014 site, I get the sense of a large body of water, a protected bay, wide River, or Cove. The birds look to me to be coastal/salt water birds. And the foliage apears to be tropical. I'm guessing the Gulf Coast, southern Florida or Southern Texas.

Windsmurf on November 18, 2013 at 11:24 am
  3. Let's see — morning checklist:

Window blinds opened… check
    Dressed for the morning… check
    Breakfast eaten… check
    Recycles placed curbside… check
    Terri walked and given treat… check
    Emails read… check
    Blog Cabin Location Clue Two… ???

Doggone it, I knew something was missing but I couldn't quite put my finger on it!

Monday, Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way!

DBCoop on November 18, 2013 at 11:39 am
  4. I like the Savannah, Georgia possibility. So on that note, as faithful bloggers everywhere wait patiently for Kayla to hit us with Location Clue Two, here's a thought:

All the way from Beaufort, SC down through Bluffton and into Savannah, GA, there are plenty of scenic waterfront nooks and crannies for a potentially amazing Blog Cabin.

While we're in the area, this home may not measure up to our next Blog Cabin once the DIY folks complete their transformation, but it still has plenty of that Southern charm: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/920-E-Victory-D

DBCoop on November 18, 2013 at 11:50 am
    • Oh my goodness DBCoop, where do you find these houses???That one is so awesome. Love the furnishings. But way too much to dust. Or do they don't have dust in Savannah?

vicki_in_Utah on November 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm
    • My guess is that between the high humidity and a couple of housekeepers, dust wouldn't be a problem!

DBCoop on November 18, 2013 at 12:43 pm
  5. I would have to agree with many of the others that it's somewhere by the Gulf of Mexico.

nancy on November 18, 2013 at 12:14 pm
  6. Key west would be lovely. Can't wait!

Elivin59 on November 18, 2013 at 12:29 pm
  7. " I’ve always had a view of the Smoky Mountains from my window, so I’ve loved seeing past homes get a taste of mountain life, too." I am guessing that the 2014 blog cabin is near a lake, with mountain views. Reminiscing about past cabins gives me the impression that we are returning to a State where they have built before.

RitaANewYorker on November 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm
  8. Welcome Kayla! I love following the progress of the cabin projects and I have learned so much. I can't say I have a favorite, because sometime it depends on if it is going to be a primary home or a vacation home. There are parts of each I love and I think each location has had it's special appeal. I haven't had time to blog much, but have really enjoyed reading along.

vagrammie3 on November 18, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    • Thank you for the welcome, vagrammie3!

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:44 pm
  9. May the LORD bless you, Mary, as you move on to new adventures and endeavors. It's been entertaining, as well as informative, to read your blogs. You'll be missed.

Hello Kayla, here's another welcome from a Blog Cabin fan. I'm looking forward to all the posts for Blog Cabin 2014. Must say I too loved all the interior finishes of the Blog Cabins in Asheville and Atlantic NC, but I feel the first one, in Tennessee, was more complete, with garage space for your cars. I'm excited to see where and what the Blog Cabin team will produce in 2014. So, here's another fan who will check in regularly to see what's going on. Blessings to you as you fulfill this new position.

pbbunderhisshadow on November 18, 2013 at 2:17 pm
  10. Today's Monday, Where is clue #2?????????????Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeas!!

sue on November 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm