Nov 15

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

A special note from Mary: I’d like to thank you for being such a fun and supportive audience. It’s been my pleasure to blog with you over the past five years. It is now time for me to move on to new adventures. Although I must bid you farewell, I leave you in the capable hands of HGTV.com editor Kayla, who will be keeping you updated on the latest Blog Cabin developments. Kayla loves furniture with a history, her cat, D’Artagnan, and crafting with lots of glitter. If you read HGTV’s Design Happens blog, then I’m sure you recognize her — check out her posts here. Now, let’s hear from Kayla for her very first post!

Wow — talk about a warm introduction! Hi, everyone. I’m so happy to join the Blog Cabin community and interact with you all about the soon-to-be stunning home you’re going to get to know inside and out. I’ve always had a view of the Smoky Mountains from my window, so I’ve loved seeing past homes get a taste of mountain life, too. When it comes to location, I’ll always have a soft spot for Blog Cabin 2009‘s Asheville, N.C. surroundings. Design-wise, I find myself going back to the vintage-chic, waterfront home from 2011. I just want to cozy up with a glass of wine in that great room. Before we dive into this year’s home, let’s reminisce and get to know each other. From the first home in Kinzel Springs, Tenn. to this year’s Atlantic, N.C. residence, what’s your favorite Blog Cabin?

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

Now, let’s get right down to business. Thinking caps on. Here’s your first clue to uncover the location of Blog Cabin 2014. Take a look at the water, wildlife, foliage … what are they telling you? My lips are sealed, but I’m ready to see those comments!

Check back Monday for clue number two.

• Posted at 3:27 pm on November 11, 2013

1. Fare the well, Mary. Wishing you all the best in your new endeavors. Welcome to the blog, Kayla! So far my favorite BC is Atlantic, NC. Loved the history of the original builds, and then seeing the total transformation.

My guess for the 2014 BC location would be Hilton Head, SC.

elfie on November 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm
    • Hi elfie! Happy Monday! Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:35 pm
  2. must be gulf coast area.

sheryl Hopper on November 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm
  3. THE CHASE IS ON with a very broad clue. The bird on the left is SO hard to see. I think it's a non breeding Eastern Willet (a shorebird common to the Atlantic and Gulf coasts). I attempted to post this message with a fascinating link to the bird earlier today, but the link needs authorization, so if you see it, I hope you'll love the link. The bird on the right is a Double Crested Cormorant. Both birds are common to salt marshes / savannas / coastal wetlands an the atlantic and Gulf coasts.

I'm thinking the plant is real. I'm not certain if it's a Buckaneer Palm, a Banana Palm or a Cardboard Plant (Zamia Maritima) and at least one of these is always green. All three are found along the Atlantic coast from South Carolina through Florida and up the Gulf along the coasts of Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. And all three are salt tolerant. Hardiness Zones range from 7b to 11 for these plants.

If I'm making guesses, I'm thinking the southern Texas Gulf – or the Gulf coast of Florida, a saltwater marsh – a savanna – a coastal wetland.

ChicagoBirder on November 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm
  4. Took another look at the water, wildlife, and foliage as you suggested Kayla. I definitely see water, wildlife, and foliage. Is there anything else I should focus on?

Lessie on November 16, 2013 at 10:54 pm
  5. eHow report:
    Most people would not think about trying to grow banana trees in USDA growing zone 7 where the average minimum temperature falls to about 0 degrees Fahrenheit, but it is a fun hobby enjoyed by many backyard gardeners. Since the plant is a tropical to subtropical plant and not hardy to cold temperatures, it will only grow outside when the temperatures have warmed to over 70 degrees. The large leaves make an attractive patio plant, even if there is not enough time to produce fruit.

Guess banana trees can grow anywhere, but I still think this is a southern location.

Lessie on November 16, 2013 at 11:17 pm
    • Lessie I have a 25 foot eucalyptus tree in my front yard, which is SO wrong for the plant growing zone that I live in! My beloved eucalyptus tree is a labor of love, but well worth it when I am bringing in the fragrant cuttings for my home.
      I really think the next BC is in a southern location too. I can't forget the sign that Dylan & Robbie left for us bloggers on the grapevine: Thanks voters & blog cabin Fans! We'll miss you, see you next year <3
      Both of them signed it. Blog Cabin had consecutive builders for two years early on, so Andrew Roby returning for a consecutive year wouldn't be unprecedented and Dylan has been the project manager for BC since year 2011.
      Andrew Roby is the premier contractor of the Carolinas, (plural) and the pic above looks a lot like the Low Country to me. I agree with other bloggers that it looks like the Gulf Region too http://www.andrewroby.com/news/57/Andrew_Roby_com

Mel on November 17, 2013 at 8:27 am
  6. Yosemite, Ca

Nikki on November 17, 2013 at 12:42 am
    • just your name made me think of a good friend I had in high school,??last name Harper???

Charlotte on November 18, 2013 at 7:03 pm
  7. WARM!
    I always start with kitchens. Liked the New York one and this last one. As less stairs as possible! I, too, love the Gulf Coast.

ladynlottiesmom on November 17, 2013 at 1:23 am
  8. Maybe Tennesee…..

Linda on November 17, 2013 at 1:59 am
  9. Hope it's on the east coast – Gulf of Mexico.

Mia on November 17, 2013 at 3:25 am
  10. the trees and birds make me think northern Florida, golf side, but weeds say maybe really large lake. tricky.

sherry jackson on November 17, 2013 at 10:04 am
    • Good point Sherry, weeds don't grow in salt water, so that should mean lake, docks aren't on rivers, so another clue that it is a lake.

vicki_in_Utah on November 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm