Oct 1

A Detail You Will Totally Dig

Blog Cabin 2013 Yard Drainage System

While we wait for the winner announcement, I thought I’d share an interesting tidbit about Blog Cabin 2013 and the yard drainage system that keeps the home high and dry.

As you know, Blog Cabin 2013 has stood on the same spot for more than a century. And surprisingly the site has suffered little to no erosion. So as part of an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” philosophy, project manager Dylan Eastman was careful to maintain the home’s original roof size. For added assurance, project contractor Ryan Crosser of Andrew Roby Construction built a subterranean drain system under the eaves to collect roof runoff and carry it through 300 feet of buried piping to a natural ditch that can handle the excess water.

Pretty nifty, yes? You may not have the wherewithal to create your own subterranean drain system, but a French drain is a pretty easy feature to install and does wonders to draw water away from structures. For those in need of how-to help, please check out DIYNetwork.com’s own French drain installation and yard drainage system projects. HGTVRemodels.com zeroes in on the topic with a focused feature on basement drainage solutions and natural stormwater management techniques.

How has this year’s or past years’ Blog Cabins inspired your own interior design, home remodeling or DIY efforts? Share your stories below.

• Posted at 2:57 pm on October 10, 2013

1. NICE! A good drainage system is a must! Well Mary, it just so happens that this years guest bedroom in the 2013 Blog Cabin inspired us so much, we painted our master bedroom the same colors! Watery & Eider White and we LIKE it A LOT! This Blog Cabin truly is a place to call home and very inviting!

lucyourdog on October 1, 2013 at 9:35 pm
  2. Just checked in for the first time in a while. Good to see some familiar names still blogging and waiting.

By happy coincidence we're installing a new French Drain in our front yard starting next week to compliment the one we built a few years ago in the back yard. :)

Hope everyone still has their fingers crossed. Good luck one & all.

I wonder where we'll be next season for Blog Cabin? ;)

Clive on October 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm
    • <3 GOOD LUCK TO YOU INSTALLING YOUR NEW DRAIN.<3
      <3 YES, WE STILL HAVE OUR FINGERS AND TOES CROSSED<3
      <3 THIS YEAR HAS BEEN A FUN AND WILD RIDE<3
      <3<3<3 GOOD LUCK EVERYONE<3<3<3<3

Janis Conard on October 1, 2013 at 10:56 pm
    • Yes, love the preventative stuff….french drain…and home protetction items…fingers crossed here; however loving the new SH location and looking forward to new BC location….about it…pondering…have they notified or not, on this BC i mean….

twoTERRIERs on October 1, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    • Nice to see you Clive. I am hoping the next BC is in the mountains with a lake or river near by.

vicki_in_Utah on October 1, 2013 at 11:47 pm
    • I don't know where the next BC will be, but I sure hope they have the Cabin Cam back Clive. Sure makes it a lot more fun than blogging about a picture. I think it spoiled us.:)

540sam on October 2, 2013 at 3:29 am
    • Sam I loved the cabin cam this year, much better then the ones in the past.

vicki_in_Utah on October 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm
  3. Whew! I think I have Blog Cabin Fever right now!

What a beautiful beach home/cottage. I am remodeling my bathroom and getting a lot of ideas from the Blog Cabin's master bath, love the mosaic and burlap.

Nifty drainage system too!

Chips&Salsa53 on October 1, 2013 at 10:21 pm
    • I loved the "wet room" concept of the bath. Oh heck, I love everything about this place. Josh's bench in the stairwell nook is cool also.

riverbluffer on October 2, 2013 at 12:18 am
  4. DRAINAGE? That's just wrong …Ain't nobody got time for that!!! Just tell us if the winner has or has NOT been notified yet -if they have we can stop peeking out the window and/or checking to be sure our cell-phone still works (every 2.5 minutes). ;)

rewrew09 on October 1, 2013 at 10:32 pm
  5. Hi Mary,
    So happy to hear from you again—like your Heading, A Detail You Will Totally Dig:):) It was interesting to learn about the French Drain details—for me, I would still need the help of experts with the installation of a French drain. On a related subject that has to do with another kind of detail we would totally dig—could you and the team dig up some new clues for us? Or, is the announcement so close now that we will soon no longer be wondering who the keys were given to? We are anxious for the virtual blogger party to begin:):)

joyfulj9 on October 1, 2013 at 10:33 pm
  6. This year's Blog Cabin 2013 has inspired me so much b/c it has taught me how to make treasures out of reclaimed materials. I have some land that has been handed down generations and a section is being timbered. I plan to use left over wood from the timbering to make tables like Josh and Grundy made for Blog Cabin 2013 that sits in the Great Room, to have a touch of history that tells a story. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains and have also been inspired to make a dining table like the one in the dining room of Blog Cabin 2013, however, I plan on using local treasures from the Blue Ridge Mountains. Whoever thought that reclaimed wood and materials could be used for so many great purposes as the DIY team so creatively used it for, in so many rooms of the Blog Cabin 2013! Reclaimed materials was even used outdoors and in the foundation of this spectacular Blog Cabin. Thank you for all of the creative ideas this year to include the awesome yard drainage system shown above. All the ideas were treasures! Everything done in Blog Cabin 2013 was done with excellence!

ivawluvsthesea on October 1, 2013 at 10:40 pm
  7. <3 THANK YOU DIY FOR THIS WONDERFUL ADVENTURE<3
    I'VE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM YOU GUYS<3<3<3
    <3 YOU TAUGHT US YOU CAN TURN TRASH INTO TREASURE<3<3<3
    <3 WITH A LITTLE PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING<3<3<3<
    <3 I GET BUTTERFLIES JUST THINKING ABOUT WHAT AN EXCITING JOURNEY I'VE EXPERIENCE WITH A GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE<3<3<3
    D-I-Y ROCKS!!!!!!!<3<3<3

Janis Conard on October 1, 2013 at 10:52 pm
  8. Thanks for the ideas, I always find something interesting idea to use in my house. This year for Blog cabin I love the ideas for the driftwood, I'm a driftwood collector and make all kinds of things with driftwood and shells. My dream is to own a beach home if its not this one I wish the winner much happiness in this one.

jabd89 on October 2, 2013 at 7:35 am
  9. Oh my! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just clicked on one of the pics and found the info I have been trying to locate to show my hub. The Trex deck rain catching system is something I have tried to recreate on my own. My husband didn't understand what I wanted. I couldn't recall the name of the product. So thank you for having it listed on the blog. Woohoo! So many projects we want to implement in our home, this is another one. After getting our water bill ….. extensively gardening….my husband is "encouraged" to get the rain barrels in place for next year.

I believe DIY and HGTV does a fine job educating the public to ways in maintaining & improving their homes. This is why I enjoy watching these programs/reading about them online.

Trish on October 2, 2013 at 8:27 am
  10. I just wanted to an extra special THANKS to everyone at DIY and who ever help in creating and building this Beautiful Home here in Eastern NC. What a Great and Special Opportunity you have given us to see such Grace. May God Bless each and everyone of you. Thank for once in life time chance to change your life forever. <3^_^<3xD<3:D

GodsCarolinaGirl on October 2, 2013 at 8:34 am