Oct 1

A Detail You Will Totally Dig

Blog Cabin 2013 Yard Drainage System

While we wait for the winner announcement, I thought I’d share an interesting tidbit about Blog Cabin 2013 and the yard drainage system that keeps the home high and dry.

As you know, Blog Cabin 2013 has stood on the same spot for more than a century. And surprisingly the site has suffered little to no erosion. So as part of an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” philosophy, project manager Dylan Eastman was careful to maintain the home’s original roof size. For added assurance, project contractor Ryan Crosser of Andrew Roby Construction built a subterranean drain system under the eaves to collect roof runoff and carry it through 300 feet of buried piping to a natural ditch that can handle the excess water.

Pretty nifty, yes? You may not have the wherewithal to create your own subterranean drain system, but a French drain is a pretty easy feature to install and does wonders to draw water away from structures. For those in need of how-to help, please check out DIYNetwork.com’s own French drain installation and yard drainage system projects. HGTVRemodels.com zeroes in on the topic with a focused feature on basement drainage solutions and natural stormwater management techniques.

How has this year’s or past years’ Blog Cabins inspired your own interior design, home remodeling or DIY efforts? Share your stories below.

• Posted at 2:57 pm on October 10, 2013

1. We built a french drain once, it's great to know you won't have to worry about flooding. Great job!!!!!:D

nanwes on October 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm
    • It sounds much better than a sunk pump, I had a bad experience with that. The house got mold everywhere.

havanera on October 2, 2013 at 1:22 pm
  2. Well, I suppose I did not win Blog Cabin 2013. I have NOT gotten a phone call !! Been in lots of pain the past few days with the sciatica in my left leg. Going for more injections tomorrow !!

gremol on October 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    • So very sorry you are not feeling well. I hope the doctors app. makes you feel better.
      Feel better Soon<3

StormyWV on October 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm
    • Gremol, my dear Friend, I am so sorry to hear the sciatica is back on the prowl! That is also one of my issues to, so I know how you feel. What I know is frustrating for you is that you went through all that surgery to no avail and that is heartbreaking! I pray your shot therapy will help. I am now seeing a physiatrist am wearing a pain patch that helps a teeny bit–takes a little edge off–but not all the pain. They may still call, Gremol, still a chance, since it's only the 1st. Keep that phone handy…xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 1, 2013 at 8:12 pm
    • Sure hope the injections help Gremol. Praying they do.

Lessie on October 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    • OUCH! gremol, I know it can be painful. Hope the injections help.

vicki_in_Utah on October 1, 2013 at 11:44 pm
    • gremol,
      I hope you will be feeling better soon. Be sure and sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs in sitting position lying on your side. That will relieve the pressure. I also place a pack of frozen peas on my lower back and it really seems to help. I'll say a prayer for you tonight.

Janis Conard on October 2, 2013 at 12:04 am
    • Gremol and Kitty Prayers for the pain to subside from my <3

COOLSMILEY on October 2, 2013 at 11:28 am
    • Oh, thank you so much, sweet Cool Smiley! :D What a sweet <3 You ARE!!! I worry about Gremol, because she had unsuccessful surgery for pain, in fact i think she mentioned a while back that it seems as bad or worse! I do hope the shots help her! I sleep with pillows elevating my legs to take pressure off, like Janis mentioned above, but I cannot sit upright nor stand for lengthy periods of time. I must lie down periodically and alternate. Then I guess I can accomplish a few things. Used to be very active, athletic, outdoorsy, gardening, buying and refurbishing/selling properties and cooked all kinds of creative stuff. More like a slug, these days~~still impish and full of laughter~~the best medicine! B):*;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 2, 2013 at 6:25 pm
    • HI, I had back surgery then sciatic pain came back. I was able to take away the pain of back along with many other issues by consuming Zija It's 100% natural and I am able to be my old active self again. If you are interested in giving it a try, research it on drinklifein.com and get back with me and I will set you up. ppoe66@gmail.com I did start my Zija business and am a distributor. I love to help people, especially those that deal with same pain I use to have. I do understand the pain. Patti Poe

Patti on November 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    • I feel you !! Exactly how I feel !! I was once ran my household in a very efficient manner; now, the floors new sweeping/mopping/vacuuming, laundry has piled up, dust bunnies have taken over & procreating, plants need pruning, and I won't even talk about my science projects in the fridge !! Seems like all I do any more is go to the doctor !! We slugs have to stick together !!!

gremol on November 16, 2013 at 4:33 pm
    • All you need is to win this home and you'll forget about the pain, at least for a little while. lol. Being in pain is no fan, I sure hope the new option treatment helps ease the pain. My prayers are with you; faith can heal more than traditional medicine.

havanera on October 2, 2013 at 1:27 pm
    • Amen

Eugenia27 on October 2, 2013 at 2:11 pm
    • I see it has been 20 hours since your post. Have you had your appointment yet? Did it help? Janis had helpful suggestions.

Eugenia27 on October 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    • Hoping those shots helped you. I have gone thru the whole gamut: shots, massage, chiropractor, went to Spinal laser surgery 3 years ago and it helped.

Holidaygal on October 3, 2013 at 9:04 am
    • Hoping you are feeling better today after those injections. No phone call here either. It ain't over yet!

jazzygirl9 on October 3, 2013 at 11:20 am
    • Dear Gremol, I pray after the shots, your pain will subside and you will feel much better…I'm so sorry you are still having to go through this agony so long after you had your back surgery..Take care Blogging Buddy <3<3

Jennie/Florida on October 3, 2013 at 12:28 pm
    • I am sorry you are dealing with pain, especially after going through surgery. I too had back surgery then the sciatic pain returned. I also dealt with arthritis, neuropathy, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, severe headaches, and more issues. I had to quit teaching because of 24/7 pain. I was blessed to have a friend introduce me to Zija. I didn't believe something natural would help me as I had been on medications and trying new things for 7 years, but still in pain all the time. well, out of desperation I finally gave it a try. I was amazed and in disbelief that in 4 days I felt better and in 10 days was pain free. I know it sounds too good to be true, but I hear stories like mine all the time. I was a Gulf War veteran is why I had so many problems. If you are interested in more information contact me at ppoe66@gmail.com. I love to help people and hope I can help you too. Patti Poe

Ptti on November 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    • Look for my e-mail to you !!

gremol on November 18, 2013 at 4:23 pm
  3. Mary,
    I've been inspired by DIY and HGTV for years now. I was really inspired a few years back with the colorsplash episodes. That man can design. I love curb appeal with John. I love Dear Geneve and all of the interior designors. Anitra m. and Laurie March are just two designers I enjoy seeing their designs.
    I watched all the video of the Blog Cabin building and about Dylan and Ryan placing the french drain. All we have to do when we are in doubt about a design is enter DIY or HGTV to get our inspiration. We also can get directions and suggestions from you guys. YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks for the ride along with everyone watching the building of 'OUR' Blog Cabin. We all feel in our hearts that we have walked up the steps to the big front porch and walked into the beautiful home. In our minds eye we have walked along the deck to the pier. Thanks again to Chris, Allison , Dylan, Laurie, Ryan , Mary and so many more I can't remember their names. The excitement everyday was fantastic. Good luck to This years winner whoever it may be<3<3<3<3<3<3 You are one Lucky Person<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Janis Conard on October 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm
  4. We actually saw what we thought were french drains being put in while the cabin cam was" the hot spot to be" and my husband had just finished putting in a few around our farm (back patio area), we were excited to see that we were right up with the DIY team and the times! He-heee! We are really happy with this drainage. Am sure the BC winner will be happy with this type of drainage and flood control.^_^

amberPA on October 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm
  5. Glad to see DIY put in the french drains…….always a number one concern for me….someone who has lived through mudslides, earthquakes, hurricanes and floods……..this is a great "renovation" for the property even though the little cabin did survive for so many years…..this blog cabin may endure for centuries….

twoTERRIERs on October 1, 2013 at 7:52 pm
    • out of your list, mudslides are the most frightening.
      We have done our share of ditch digging, to put in drainage.
      It is so important and I'm happy that the project crew went the extra step to insure the cabins survival.

Eugenia27 on October 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm
  6. Just loved the DIY Blog Cabin 2013 build. I have learned many things watching the building and reading their shareing of their projects. The dry wall was so interesting to me as we had a room that needed "help". It was how Steve shared about the Purple dry wall and gave the site for National Gyspum Co. to learn more about the products. We did the room and it looks great. Then paint from Serwin Williams used in two different rooms in pale "cooling" shades of bule for one and green in the other. Seeing how the Blog Cabin looked soooo nice with these cool shades , like we bloggers picked as our favorite, gave me the inspiration do do the same. Watching JoshTemple work is always great . When he did the " Bench" under the steps, it was so awesome! I re -watched that on the shows. I got too many ideas to list all of them. Thank you " DIY" and All your Teams for such interesting things that we can use in our own home. —-

Nan on October 1, 2013 at 8:02 pm
  7. Continued—— sorry told too long-
    Wish the winner ,whoever it may be , the very best. May there be Love, Happiness and Good Health in their Home, always. Keep dreaming, bloggers. my very best to all Nan ;) <3 ;) <3

Nan on October 1, 2013 at 8:06 pm
    • That is sooo true Nan. I have re=watched the "Crashers" along with Chris Grundy doing all that "magical" work they do. I believe I catch most every show multiple times per week. I figure, if that's the way I get to see MY new Blog Cabin then, so be it! When my husband walks by, now he just shakes his head and smiles.You guys have been so helpful to me. I think I got the different "homes" figured.out. This has been my first 'SEASON" of blogging .Good night, talk again tomorrow.I think I'll be ready for blogging and such with new BC, SH, DH,UO, and I know I missed a few.. Good night again..Yes i"m too anxious to sleep. Oh well….

<3<3xD

Sheri McNamara on October 1, 2013 at 9:50 pm
  8. I've looked into how French drains were built. Our home gets quite a lot of water on both sides of it. One spot that the water flows to has popped up a utility box in the back. So, something DOES need to be done. Recently I watered the front yard, I found water coming around a brick retaining wall and towards the backdoor. My dear hub has said he's going to get this problem corrected. I'm very blessed.

This feature of the BC should be appreciated by the winner. 'Tarnation….the whole plumb BC is GORGEOUS!' The entire construction crew did a terrific job! KUDOS!

Many blessings,bloggers.

Trish on October 1, 2013 at 9:01 pm
  9. We had installed a french drain system around the back of our house several years ago after the water table had changed as the result of building in the area. Our house had stood in the same place for over 100 years previously and never a problem, but things change. Watching the work being done around the blog cabin has inspired e to continue to do, or have done the work around my home to maintain it for the times as well as future generations. Way to go DIY !!! I said it before and will say it again, YOU ROCK!!! Thank you!
    <3 Becky