Oct 1

A Detail You Will Totally Dig

Blog Cabin 2013 Yard Drainage System

While we wait for the winner announcement, I thought I’d share an interesting tidbit about Blog Cabin 2013 and the yard drainage system that keeps the home high and dry.

As you know, Blog Cabin 2013 has stood on the same spot for more than a century. And surprisingly the site has suffered little to no erosion. So as part of an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” philosophy, project manager Dylan Eastman was careful to maintain the home’s original roof size. For added assurance, project contractor Ryan Crosser of Andrew Roby Construction built a subterranean drain system under the eaves to collect roof runoff and carry it through 300 feet of buried piping to a natural ditch that can handle the excess water.

Pretty nifty, yes? You may not have the wherewithal to create your own subterranean drain system, but a French drain is a pretty easy feature to install and does wonders to draw water away from structures. For those in need of how-to help, please check out DIYNetwork.com’s own French drain installation and yard drainage system projects. HGTVRemodels.com zeroes in on the topic with a focused feature on basement drainage solutions and natural stormwater management techniques.

How has this year’s or past years’ Blog Cabins inspired your own interior design, home remodeling or DIY efforts? Share your stories below.

• Posted at 2:57 pm on October 10, 2013

1. Fellow bloggers, we have a situation. On the Give away forum, there is a blogger victimizing a veteran under the name Richard, that posted a comment couple of days ago. Can you please go back there and put this guy in its place.
    By the way, there is also a comment from a new bloggie that is kind of suspicious.

havanera on October 8, 2013 at 9:15 am
    • It ain't worth it havanera. Most veterans on here know we don't feed the trolls (DFTT)! We ignore them and eventually they go away! Enjoy your day!!

lucyourdog on October 8, 2013 at 9:24 am
  2. Ok, I've had my morning coffee and have read through the comments. Nothing new! Anyone feeling lucky?

lucyourdog on October 8, 2013 at 9:22 am
  3. Wow, it is a long wait until Friday……….. Keep busy everyone! :)

Eden1875 on October 8, 2013 at 10:35 am
  4. I just have fallen in love with this cabin. I'am not a lucky person but if I ever get a house of my own, I would love it to be just like Blog cabin 2013. I would like to request one thing, Please leave all the wonderful tours on for a while after it is given away. I have gotten use to dreaming every morning, and after thinking things thru…I feel it will continue to be a great comfort to me (to dream). Thanks DIY for a great summer!

Debbie on October 8, 2013 at 11:52 am
  5. I just checked with CARTERET County NC tax assessor office, register of deeds and tax assessors' department. Property is still listed in the Scripps Network name.

Holidaygal on October 8, 2013 at 4:29 pm
    • Which means what exactly? Hasn't been signed over to a new owner yet? Is that strange?

Eden1875 on October 8, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    • If I was the winner I'd do everything I could to not take title until the new year. That would push the tax requirement back to April 15, 2015.

Ishmael on October 9, 2013 at 12:59 am
    • Scripps may be planning to have it off their books in 2013. The winner will have to pay a Federal quarterly estimate at the end of the quarter in which they've closed, right? Of course state taxes rules vary by state, but in general, I'm assuming the same. I would absolutely purchase flood insurance, but have no idea the cost.

Once the financial details are taken care of, the winner is going to have an amazing home and property. I can only imagine how they feel right now. And I appreciate that Scripps showed us emotions running equally high at Scripps and DIY. Each contributor put everything they had into the project. We all learned from their work and had a great time too. And it was great to spend time getting to know more about Core Sound. Thanks bloggers, too.

ChicagoBirder on October 9, 2013 at 11:22 am
    • Ishael, Sorry Tax law does not allow the deferment by the winner to defer the income to 2014. A taxpayer is subject to tax in the current year if he or she has unfettered control in determining when items of income will or should be paid. Scripps said the winner has 5 days to accept…thus, the income would be for the fourth quarter of 2013. I am sure that Scripps would not play along with that delay game as they would be subject to a penalty from the IRS… ;-(

Holidaygal on October 9, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    • One the bloggers said in an earlier discussion, that the winner of last year's BC was allowed to do the transfer after January, so wouldn't have to worry about the taxes until the following tax year.
      We just have to wait for the announcement in couple of days.

havanera on October 9, 2013 at 11:37 am
    • That was just guessing. We don't know that from her. It's unlikeley that would be allowed as the prize has a 5-day refusal period. After acceptance it's yours and the 1099 will be dated so. We know someone who won a house in a local food store sweeps. They were handed the keys and the 1099 effective from that date. Luckily for them that was in 2005 and they quickly sold the house.

Sally on October 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm
  6. How close to New Bern Proper is the cabin?

Trish on October 10, 2013 at 7:43 pm
    • about 63 miles.

Holidaygal on October 12, 2013 at 9:15 pm
  7. Finally, a blog post about yard drainage! Yard drainage and basement waterproofing go hand in hand. WELL DONE!!

Michigan Basement on November 27, 2013 at 12:31 pm
  8. rererer

dfdfdfd on December 19, 2013 at 2:17 am
  9. Nice blog and very informative thanks for sharing this blog with us…!
    DIY Security Systems

david on January 7, 2014 at 2:51 am
  10. It is good to see the information and thanks for sharing this blog with us.

DIY Security Systems

david on January 7, 2014 at 7:49 am
  11. Well, it's about 640 miles from Nasheville to New Bern and about 725 miles from Nashville to Egg Harbor.  Let's just continue our virtual travel.  Maybe Scripps (DIY and HGTV) will come along.  I think this is a great time of the year to see Door County, then take the car ferry across Lake Michigan.  I picked up squash, apples, hand harvested wild rice and cranberries plus honey from my favorite bee hives and cheeses when I was in MN and WI a week ago.   I just missed the immense Northern Lights display seen from north of Minneapolis though.  Hoping others will join in with virtual tours for their favorite places for a future Blog Cabin.

ChicagoBirder on October 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm
  12. Wow ChicagoBirder, sounds like a great trip. cranberries, apples and cheese from Wisconsin and Minnesota, yum. Did you get any of those Michigan peaches and blueberries?

Holidaygal on October 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm
  13. I DID get blueberries and peaches.  I'm hoping that Scripps (Blog Cabin and HGTV Dream Home, Smart Home, Green Home) like these midwest and upper midwest virtual trips enough to select the area for many future projects.  Areas to consider are closer to Scripps headquarters than many projects selected thus far.  Additionally, looking at all risks from climate and weather, these areas are excellent choices; i.e. less flood or storm surge risk, less risk from loss of power, less heat risk.  And there are many midwest and upper midwest areas with less crime.   Where are your favorite places for Blog Cabin?

ChicagoBirder on October 25, 2013 at 2:17 pm