Oct 1

A Detail You Will Totally Dig

Blog Cabin 2013 Yard Drainage System

While we wait for the winner announcement, I thought I’d share an interesting tidbit about Blog Cabin 2013 and the yard drainage system that keeps the home high and dry.

As you know, Blog Cabin 2013 has stood on the same spot for more than a century. And surprisingly the site has suffered little to no erosion. So as part of an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” philosophy, project manager Dylan Eastman was careful to maintain the home’s original roof size. For added assurance, project contractor Ryan Crosser of Andrew Roby Construction built a subterranean drain system under the eaves to collect roof runoff and carry it through 300 feet of buried piping to a natural ditch that can handle the excess water.

Pretty nifty, yes? You may not have the wherewithal to create your own subterranean drain system, but a French drain is a pretty easy feature to install and does wonders to draw water away from structures. For those in need of how-to help, please check out DIYNetwork.com’s own French drain installation and yard drainage system projects. HGTVRemodels.com zeroes in on the topic with a focused feature on basement drainage solutions and natural stormwater management techniques.

How has this year’s or past years’ Blog Cabins inspired your own interior design, home remodeling or DIY efforts? Share your stories below.

• Posted at 2:57 pm on October 10, 2013

1. I guess I should take the dock/water view off my computer desktop today. Sigh.

mistifide on October 7, 2013 at 11:07 am
  2. Mary, if we've guessed the winner by now can you confirm or are your hands tied? Laurie do you feel like weighing in…any thoughts?

lucyourdog on October 7, 2013 at 11:28 am
  3. Yes, I think HGTV would have posted notices with all the publcity on the house….and transfer of ownership etc…..even though I feel the winner has probably been notified….

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 11:37 am
    • yeppers, In answer to yesterdays personal question, I saw a writing thingy posted on fb and followed up on it, submitted 4 different categories, as they asked for samples in categories, the sight says pays for blog posts as well, its all freelance, rejection 4 times = (, told ya , I wasn't a professional writer!? You have to pass their sampling test before you can show a blog post!

COOLSMILEY on October 7, 2013 at 12:16 pm
    • u trying your hand at it?

COOLSMILEY on October 7, 2013 at 12:17 pm
    • actually …. putting my feelers out for jobs or business in other states……i currently operate my own company and have for 3 years, but open to opportunities in other areas including the whole northeast southern corridor, love the beach but virginia and tennessee are calling me as well…will see…in this day and age you have to keep an open mind….texas has no state income tax, neither does tennessee…will see….love where i am but we will see

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    • so last nite, my husband is watching old reruns of Magnum PI with Tom Selleck and they kept showing the beach of Robin Masters house (the owner and fictitious author) as the waves kept rolling up , I thought wow blog cabin really must be something, Imagine that 24/7!! That soothing sound….

COOLSMILEY on October 7, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    • yes being in nature by the ocean is incredibly soothing……i would love it….but getting more flexible in my old age…:):)

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    • girl,…….keep trying….i know "professional writers, professors" who cant get writing jobs….keep going girl if this is what you want to do…….i was curious you need to advertise…..writers should get better with experience…

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    • Where did you submit samples, Cool?

Lessie on October 7, 2013 at 9:29 pm
    • Scripted, Inc.

COOLSMILEY on October 8, 2013 at 5:17 am
    • Are you in the San Francisco area? Google freelance writers to see what's available in your area. What genre are you interested in?

Lessie on October 8, 2013 at 8:19 pm
  4. Hi. I just posted in the harvesting portion of our blog that I couldn't get into blog this morning. Your IT team was quick!

There must be SOME word about the winner???? I keep checking in to see who it is.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week!

Trish on October 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm
  5. Still no new information.

StormyWV on October 7, 2013 at 1:04 pm
  6. WHO WON? Just ONE clue before the 11th, please.

AndreaMP on October 7, 2013 at 1:04 pm
  7. Hi friends!!

Hope everyone is doing well this fine Monday. I'm currently covered with glitter and spray paint for a holiday special we're shooting later this week. What are you up to? Did we all have our coffee today?

So much anticipation at this part of the Cabin's journey. Lots of excitement, nostalgia… this home is surely one of the most carefully crafted, well-thought out properties in the world. I know how much love went into it – from every person who set foot on it, through every person here who put their good wishes, dreams, and happy thoughts into it.

How could it be anything but a magical experience for one lucky person!

Soon enough, my friends. Soon enough.

Laurie

Laurie_March on October 7, 2013 at 1:10 pm
    • Laurie,

I agree, soon enough, soon enough. Everyone is getting so antsy, assuming things that may not be true, so I keep telling them to calm down, relax, and wait for that special moment. No use in losing sleep, getting high blood pressure, etc., over something we have no control.

It has been a spectacular build, and it is always fun showing folks how construction is supposed to be done. Like I always say, it takes as long as it takes, if things are going to be done correctly. With that being said, it is just time to wait, and be very patient.

Enjoy………..;)

Builder on October 7, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    • Thanks, I think we are all on the edge of our seats. Waiting to see if a blogger won.

StormyWV on October 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm
    • Laurie,
      Thank you for all you have done to keep we bloggers in touch with all happenings. You are a 'Great House Counselor' and have become a friend. This is my first year ever blogging and it has been fun.
      Congratulations to the winner of this precious home sweet home. I hope they know how Blessed they are.
      Good Luck to all blogger friends I have met this year. Keep praying everyday. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son.

Janis Conard on October 7, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    • I hope it's soon – I just binge ate the remainder of a package of Pepperidge Farm Brussels cookies. The pressure is getting to me!

TwoCorgis on October 7, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    • TwoCorgis, You are so funny! It does sound good though! He-hee!^_^

amberPA on October 7, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    • too funny….me and my two terriers just binge ate too….i baked them some chicken tenders………

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 2:18 pm
    • Hey, at least you went for some protein. I need to try to avoid carbs for the duration of this wait or I'm going to be in a sugar coma when they finally come to my door with the keys to the BC!

TwoCorgis on October 7, 2013 at 2:32 pm
    • correct I may turn into a pumpkin myself………….

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    • Too funny!

Lessie on October 7, 2013 at 9:58 pm
    • they are my forever children and angels on earth…

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 10:22 pm
    • Here's a virtual extra-large bag of gourmet chocolates and a bottle of whatever you desire to complement your cookies. Enjoy!

Lessie on October 7, 2013 at 9:58 pm
    • Hi Laurie!

Good to hear from you again! Can't wait to see the holiday special! Speaking of holidays….this waiting reminds me of the anticipation of Christmas when I was 5! LOL

There's truly is alot of heart and soul in the BC for sure!

Have a great afternoon everyone!^_^<3

Debbie on October 7, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    • Thank you Laurie…..and I love your glitter and spray paint too…i love the holidays….

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 2:10 pm
    • Thank you Laurie for keeping us posted! Have a great Monday!^_^

amberPA on October 7, 2013 at 2:12 pm
    • So if we need coffee. Does that mean it is going to be a long day for us bloggers?

StormyWV on October 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm
    • I am looking forward to holiday and can't wait to see the ideas.

Yes, this house was well thought out and blessed by the all the people involved. Thanks DIY! God Bless to you all. What a blessing this house is for someone.

GodsCarolinaGirl on October 7, 2013 at 2:25 pm
    • Hi Laurie,
      In answer to your question, yes, I not only had my coffee today, but I also enjoyed the postings on facebook from https://www.facebook.com/RandomThoughtsandLotsaCo:) You must be preparing for a magical day—there is a lot of fun and magic when one is covered with glitter <span class="idc-smiley"><span style="background-position: 0pt 0pt;"><span>:)</span></span></span> Thanks for dropping in now and then to say hello to all of us here on the Blog Cabin site. <span class="idc-smiley"><span style="background-position: 0pt 0pt;"><span>:)</span></span></span> Maybe we should all be getting some glitter ready to celebrate the winner. Or maybe we could call on Tinker Bell and ask to leave her post at Disney World for a little while to help us celebrate the winner. Since none of us here on the blog know exactly when to invite her, would you please extend the invitation to her when the time is right?

joyfulj9 on October 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm
    • As long as you haven't announced the winner's name, I still have a chance to win…I think there is some complicated theory behind my point of view, string theory or chaos theory or some other theory I don't understand:p Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Waiting for your call, or email, or UPS/FEDEX notification here – let the magic begin:*

Windsmurf on October 7, 2013 at 3:21 pm
    • Everybody take a deep breath – 'cause I suspect you won't hear a darn thing until Friday. ;)

Hang in there!!!

ps. Love the binge eating in excitement over the outcome. Me too – but my favorite is Milk Duds!

Laurie

Laurie_March on October 7, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    • :D ;)^_^

AnniesOwn on October 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    • thank you for a very welcome word…..

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 6:27 pm
    • I'm breaking out the Halloween candy – it sounds like it's going to be a long week!

TwoCorgis on October 7, 2013 at 7:15 pm
    • oh ooooooooooooooh the terriers may need some beef jerky between now and then and i'll be chewing fingernails maybe….

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 7:59 pm
    • Learned long ago not to buy Halloween candy early! It's always gone before the day comes…

Beachdreamer51 on October 7, 2013 at 8:29 pm
    • funny wonder if anyone saw Lauries most recent post today other than all us here…..standing on the sidelines here waiting for the wind….

twoTERRIERs on October 7, 2013 at 11:23 pm
    • Thank you Laurie for another update. Wow! Looking forward to an exciting week! It appears this week is the announcement of the lucky winner!! Good luck to all my blogging friends! Blogging with everyone has been so much fun and I have enjoyed blogging about this wonderful historical home!

ivawluvsthesea on October 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    • Laurie, guess what we will all be doing this week————Dre-e-e-eam, Dream, Dream, Dream, Dre-e-e-eam. lol. We all love this wonderful historical Blog Cabin! It contains so many treasures. What a great magical place!

ivawluvsthesea on October 7, 2013 at 9:16 pm
    • OH. NO. LAURIE! How could you say that??? Milk Duds? Oh no! Now I'm in trouble, alas! Alas! ALAS! I have NOT A ONE~~and that would never satisfy me anyhow…. My mouth is watering. My mind is yearning… My heart is racing , alas! Darn! Tootin' Dag NABIT! It's rainy messy outside and I don't drive on wet dark roads and you've ignited an insatiable appetite for my favorite thing. Maria could beautifully sing "My Favorite Things" in "The Sound of Music' and we all knew Raindrops would bring them to us. except these won't. Well, Bloggie DIY Beautiful Talented Lady~~aren't you so happy? If I HAD some MILK DUDS, I'd invite you over and we could stuff ourselves with them and champagne, in honor of the 2013 BC Winner, which I know is not I. Milk Duds! you temptress, you! :*:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm
    • Hello Laurie! (= Thank you for an update and hope!! Yes, this home is truly a treasure and the work of a very dedicated and talented crew. My Gran-girl keeps asking me if I've heard anything and how much longer will it take? She loves looking at the Cabin's pics and tours. She is only thirteen y/o but knows a magical dream might come true; she plans to use the guest bedroom and spend days on the dock and the gorgeous coastal water. A dreamer like her Grandma!!! Wishing all <3 blogger friends nerves of steel and keep the dreams alive.

donna white on October 7, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    • Hello, Laurie! Great to hear from you. Agree with you about the entire group that had anything to do with our Blog cabin. What wonderful people and the talents and the skills you all have. Together you all have made a beautiful home for a very fortune person. All of you are the "best" and Thank you.
      <3 ;) <3 ;)

Nan on October 7, 2013 at 8:45 pm
    • Oh Laurie, Mary is rubbing off on you! I take it that the coffee question pertains to a loooooooong wait? We've come this far, what's another 4 days? No clues, hints, inkling, sign, lead, cue…but we have wind, lol. We were hoping you would give us the skinny on the winner. But, we love hearing from you nonetheless! :p

lucyourdog on October 7, 2013 at 9:20 pm
  8. And, if they've been notified…… :)

Eden1875 on October 7, 2013 at 1:56 pm
  9. Just home from the elementary school and I see there is no news yet. I'm going to take that as good news and keep on dreamin'!

Hope everyone got to see Laurie's new note to us. ^_^

amberPA on October 7, 2013 at 2:11 pm
  10. Oh, I will check back later. I am headed to another game. Good Luck everyone.

StormyWV on October 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm