Sep 18

Harvest Season Fast Approaches

The muscadine grapes are growing at Blog Cabin 2013 — and harvest season fast approaches! We thought our most die-hard fans would love to see a snapshot of the mini vineyard that’s climbing its way up and around the reclaimed wood pergola. Let’s chat: If you won the home, what would you do with your grape harvest? Make jellies and jams? Produce fine wines? Throw them in the juicer, perhaps? Set up a farm stand in the front yard and sell them by the peck?

Thanks to project manager Dylan Eastman for sending in this great photo! And thanks to our friends at the Made + Remade blog for posting this timely how-to. If you don’t win Blog Cabin 2013, you can grow your own muscadine grapes and enjoy a bountiful harvest. Enjoy!

• Posted at 1:52 pm on September 9, 2013

1. I am still sitting on the dock. But now I have a glass of home-made grape wine in my hand. Feel free to join me bloggers it is so relaxing here. Now if only my daydreams would become reality.

StormyWV on September 19, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    • Now that sounds great, Stormy ! We have to enjoy those sunsets from the dock until the winner's name is announced….

LLColeman on September 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    • Pull up a chair. And when Diy Network announces the winners names maybe you will be able to walk down the dock into your new home.

StormyWV on September 19, 2013 at 9:11 pm
    • Or you will be the winner ! Good luck ! ;)

LLColeman on September 19, 2013 at 9:36 pm
    • I'm there with you Stormy, LL, and everyone else. Surprised there's still room on the dock.

Lessie on September 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm
    • There is always room for more.

StormyWV on September 21, 2013 at 3:53 pm
  2. Harvest those grapes at the Blog Cabin: Here is a great Recipe for Muscadine Wine: Ingredients: Rinse 8 qt. muscadine grapes, 8 lb. sugar with 4 qt. warm non-chlorinated water, 1 pkg. dry yeast, 1 potato and a handful of Irish Oatmeal. INSTRUCTIONS: In a large crock Mash grapes, dissolve yeast in the sugar water and pour over the mashed grapes. Add sliced potato on top of mixture the a handful of steel oatmeal. cover with a heavy lid for 28 days stirring every 3 days. Strain and bottle.(do not seal) Yummy!! ps for less sweet wine you can half the sugar. pss The potato and the oat meal are used as yeast nutrients and also to counter acidity. ENJOY

Holidaygal on September 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    • ps This wine is traditionally served very very cold, more like an after dinner dessert drink.

Holidaygal on September 19, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    • Thanks for the recipe. Okay, now that I've got my recipe, I just need my Blog Cabin. ;) Hope to hear from them early next week. :)

Moving2theCoast on September 19, 2013 at 7:18 pm
    • Good to know! That could come in handy when I win the Blog Cabin. lol

chewag01 on September 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    • After I get settled in my new home, I'll invite you over to help with my wine making.

Carole on September 20, 2013 at 10:46 am
  3. I would eat some and make jelly. I would also freeze a few for a cool treat to eat with vanilla ice cream.

goulaMS on September 19, 2013 at 6:34 pm
  4. I would try my hand at making some muscadine jelly for my friends and family. My grandmother made jelly when I was a child and muscadine was one of my favorites. I also want to learn how to make wine. Muscadine wine is delicious and I would love to sit by the fire in the winter with a glass of homemade muscadine wine.

Moving2theCoast on September 19, 2013 at 7:08 pm
  5. Love the photos! Thanks for posting!
    If I am so lucky as to be the BC winner I would love to use the grapes to top kuchen from an old recipe from my husband's family. Our kuchen has a sweet raised dough covered in yummy custard, topped with fruit and sprinkled with cinnamon. My husband's favorite is kuchen with green grapes! From the photos it looks like I would have plenty to share with friends, family and neighbors. I could freeze ship and send to all my blogging buddies! What a yummy way to celebrate this great BC!

Downonthefarm on September 19, 2013 at 7:26 pm
  6. Hopefully we will all soon intuitively know the winner has been selected and we can start obsessively checking our mail…..

twoTERRIERs on September 19, 2013 at 8:10 pm
  7. WOW! They look lusciously YUMMY!! Thanks Mary & Dylan…I would love to make PURE grape juice &
    jellies & jams….sure I might even try my hand at RED RED WINE……Yummmmm!!! Thanks again DIY and
    HGTV for a beautiful job. – Desiree

Desiree on September 19, 2013 at 8:49 pm
  8. If I win the Blog Cabin I could start a fruit stand with the grape harvest – After all I will need some extra income to pay for the taxes.

chewag01 on September 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm
  9. AAARRRGGHHH–jest had to stop by har to wish me ol' bloggin' mateys Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day ! Mel, Kitty, —whar is me ol' barge-girl ruffybc ?? Always be lookin' up an' down the coast for ruffy !
    I have been planning a ceremony for me little first mate Boston Terrier Taz who has finally gone to join his departed dog pals across rainbow bridges and endless beaches. I think I almost see all the pets frolickin' on the sand in front of the BC…..just as long as they stay away from Blackbeard;s ghost thar. o.0 <3

LLColeman on September 19, 2013 at 9:11 pm
    • Ahoy LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Matey! Me hharrrrdt ees sooo sad fer ye deer, deer Terrieer Ye Luved sooo much! Whan ourrr pettes go tu thatt rraynebow een the skye iit ees ay plece four happinessses four them, beeg bones an long stickes four theem too cheise–butte we sooo meese them, rite, me deere Mate? Me Haveth much luving thots fer ya losses of Taz and sendeth luving cup o' Grog ta celebrate heez lyfe an' owr' frindsheep. B)<3<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 20, 2013 at 12:59 pm
    • Kitty, did you make it to pirates day in norfolk last weekend at the museum, they were going for a Guniss record for the number of pirates? Wait maybe it's this weekend.

540sam on September 20, 2013 at 1:12 pm
    • It is, it's tomorrow 8/21 from 10am till 4pm, pirate count at 2pm.

540sam on September 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm
    • Wella, Matey Sam! Aye shalle theenketh o' eet! Methinks eet a bieet scarrey tho' too beeth thar fer eet waseth een Hampton, VA , whar Blakbeerd wast keeled an hees hed cuteth ouf! Thu hed wast difsplaid on a fstik fer awl too see an AY woold bee skeerd oof hees goost to chaste mee doon –'ee bee steel knoon to du sich thins, doon't everbooty knew thus? ;) B)^_^o.0:S Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 20, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    • Hmmmmmmmm…..strange, I have the same problem when I try to talk to the people on Tangier.:)

540sam on September 20, 2013 at 2:24 pm
    • I am in yer debt, Matey ! I know Taz has joined his big sister Rhodi and his other friends and they no longer have to be in the elderly canine club, but spirit pups having a romp. He has finally made friends with our 19 year old cat who shunned him in Life, no doubt ! We will have a merry toast of grog on the beach!

LLColeman on September 21, 2013 at 8:30 pm
    • Aaaarrrrr Lady LL, me wer so close to Ocracoke on thar special pirate day!!
      Stopped at Pea Island and beheld the pristine beaches ole Blackbeard surely plundered upon…..the sand was almost white, and the ocean an sky wer an amazing blue! Shiver-me-timbers but whar a sight as beautiful as a chest full of doubloons!

Mel on September 22, 2013 at 9:06 am
  10. PS Dylan–should I win, you and your family, including your mom (who has written on FaceBook so much) would be the first guests to stay & have the whole house to yourselves for the weekend. After that, a party for all the crews and DIY hosts and faithful bloggers…plenty of room on the property for camping out.

LLColeman on September 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm