Sep 18

Harvest Season Fast Approaches

The muscadine grapes are growing at Blog Cabin 2013 — and harvest season fast approaches! We thought our most die-hard fans would love to see a snapshot of the mini vineyard that’s climbing its way up and around the reclaimed wood pergola. Let’s chat: If you won the home, what would you do with your grape harvest? Make jellies and jams? Produce fine wines? Throw them in the juicer, perhaps? Set up a farm stand in the front yard and sell them by the peck?

Thanks to project manager Dylan Eastman for sending in this great photo! And thanks to our friends at the Made + Remade blog for posting this timely how-to. If you don’t win Blog Cabin 2013, you can grow your own muscadine grapes and enjoy a bountiful harvest. Enjoy!

• Posted at 1:52 pm on September 9, 2013

1. I would eat those grapes by the fistful! Since my boys and husband love grapes too, I don't think there would be enough left to make wine or jelly.. :)

Suzanne on September 19, 2013 at 12:51 pm
  2. There is nothing like enjoying the fresh ocean air and scenery, with a glass of homemade muscadine wine. North Carolina makes the best muscdine wine ever made. In the mountains of western NC. you can find muscadines growing wild, especially around old homesites where generations from way back grew them for the best homemade jellies and juice. Even today I try to get mamaw to admit that those wine barrels in the cellar were used to make their muscadine wines. So bringing some of my history from the mountains to the coast would be a delicacy.

naebird2015 on September 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm
  3. If I won, I think the first year or two I would enjoy them & share with friends & neighbors…..But once the grapes come in fully, I'd like to learn to make jam/preserves & share with loved ones. Here's to wishful thinking!!! Looking forward to the reveal of winner….Good Luck To ALL!!!!

JanetNY on September 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm
  4. The last thing I want to do is more work! I'm retired for crying out loud. I want to sit on my buttocal area, enjoy the view, not mess with any canning , selling etc. Running a fruit stand is hard work! Let the birds, and the bees and the mold have their way with the grapes. I'm kicking back in that comfy chair, my Manhattan cold and icy with two cherries, big sun hat and a trashy romance novel. Now that's heaven.

Ashtabulannie on September 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm
    • :D :)xD;)

SID on September 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    • :)

twoTERRIERs on September 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm
    • Besides, nothing is funnier than watching birds trying to fly after eating fermented grapes.:DxD

540sam on September 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    • 540sam that is hilarious!!!! Birds fly fermented. Gotta see that!!! ROTH

Ashtabulannie on September 20, 2013 at 8:10 am
    • Oh yes they get super intoxicated and if they do make it off of the ground they usually fly into something or right back to earth. Haven't you heard the term "straighten up and fly right" ?

540sam on September 20, 2013 at 10:51 am
    • Girl, you have real Style after my own heart ! You always tell it like it is and many of us secretly think, LOL. <3 xD B)

LLColeman on September 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    • Hi ya LL, Miss ya! Well….. I do get in trouble more than most but I keep getting invited back to parties???? I guess I'm the comic relief? Sorry but it gets a little sicky sweet here sometimes…(must be the fermenting grapes)…It's nice but doesn't provide an especially interesting/dynamic read for bloggers. IMHO
      Miss your blog postings LL.

Ashtabulannie on September 20, 2013 at 8:14 am
    • Love your sense of humor:) and your telling it as you see it:)

joyfulj9 on September 20, 2013 at 12:57 pm
    • I miss you when you take a hiatus, too ! You got your pink kayak ready to go so we can stage a dock landing in NC ? Blogger party Crash must be held this year !! Don G is always ready with some good food, Clive can provide us with the Vital Tidal information, AnneEllise South should be coming ashore with Maggie, her husband and all the fish he caught…Mel will provide us with some local tours, Coop spends more time on HGTV blogs but he and his dog Terri will be sure to fly in..our FLA pal Jennie has been a daily blogkeeper and she can trade her Appalachian vacation for a NC arty, I am sure. We have so many old time bloggers who should be showing up, too–and look at the dozens of new blog faithfuls who will be glad to celebrate with us ! B) B) B) <3

LLColeman on September 21, 2013 at 8:03 pm
    • LL my pink kayak is ready to go!!! Looks like an easy landing spot there on the beach!!! OMG!!! have you been outside today! Drop dead gorgeous here in the DC area!!!! Going for a hike down to the Potomac River. Too beautiful to be inside blogging. Nothing personal!!! Simply to wonderful to be inside. Later!

Ashtabulannie on September 22, 2013 at 12:46 pm
    • Too funny!

Lessie on September 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    • And there's my girl Lessie ! I am not on here too often, but have you made any plans for a Tina Turner music number this year? I'm in !! <3 <3 <3

LLColeman on September 21, 2013 at 8:06 pm
    • i have to see that………..u tube it….Tina Turner and her pink kayak………..

twoTERRIERs on September 23, 2013 at 1:17 am
    • boy that manhattan must be an arlington thing…..with the two cherries…..it was my mom's favorite drink…….will have to have my neighbor make me one soon…..we generally only have wine in the house….

twoTERRIERs on September 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm
    • Well I don't know if it is an Arlington Thang but my husband and I feel that it is more alcohol bang for the buck than a glass of wine. And I get a cherry! So it's nutritious. LOLOL I don't mean to give the impression we are a couple of alcoholics but husbands family used to own a liquor store and we do entertain A LOT! Now that the kids are grown/ gone we keep a fully stocked liquor cabinet .

Took a walk past your folks old house on 22nd. Also took a walk past old / new (Tear down) CEBE's house over on 29th st.. You would not recognize Ohio St across from Nottingham elementary school. OMG I saw two ramblers next door to each other on John Marshall with a bulldozer sitting in the front and power lines cut. Not long for this world. Unbelievable!!!

Ashtabulannie on September 22, 2013 at 9:20 pm
    • the manhattan on the rocks sounds good to me…i don't think ive had oone in 35 years…….after spending much of my life in california's wine country all we drank was wine and ate brie cheese….yum, yum….would be wonderful to enjoy a manhattan or real glass of merlot on the pier at blog cabin….can you imagine…..sounds cozy thar in arlington…..tomorrow we should get a new clue on the smart home cant wait….

twoTERRIERs on September 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm
      Who wants to work. We'll just sit , sun, surf, tan,read that novel<3<3<3:*;););)

conardj on September 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm
  5. What a dream to win but if I did I would most definately make some jam. I would also just have some in the kitchen for my son. He loves grapes. I really love the picture of the grape vines. It is just amazing. I still am in love with this beautiful home. You guys did such a wonderful job. Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on September 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm
  6. Mary , I would learn how to make wine. I come from an Italian family so I know I will get a lot of advice. :)

Pam Griffin-Tierney on September 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm
  7. I will definitely make wine. Sit under that gorgeous pergola,drink wine,eat grapes and cheese and enjoy the view.Can't wait.:)<3

mike on September 19, 2013 at 2:26 pm
  8. What a beautiful pic of those gorgeous grapes. Not only is this beach retreat home and setting one of wonderful peace and tranquility and an oasis away from daily stress- just thinking of sitting and watching the water makes me sigh and smile- but those muscadine grape are full of some very powerful Antioxidants and Anti-inflammatory Agents. I would enjoy them myself right off the vine and share them in jams with my family so we could all benefit. As a breast cancer survivor I am always looking for stress-free living and healthy foods. This years blog cabin is providing it all & so much more. Thanks all.

Dele1952 on September 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm
  9. I would make a tarte tatin with the lovely grapes. Also let them mature on the vine and have them with cheese, wine and sit at the end of the boardwalk. Listening to the waves, as the wind brushes my skin….It's a beautiful home. Congrats to the builders and designers….

miamisky17 on September 19, 2013 at 2:53 pm
    • yummy

twoterriers on September 19, 2013 at 3:15 pm
  10. Love the reclaim wood for the pergola and the grapes would make jam and jelly.

Becky on September 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm