Sep 18

Harvest Season Fast Approaches

The muscadine grapes are growing at Blog Cabin 2013 — and harvest season fast approaches! We thought our most die-hard fans would love to see a snapshot of the mini vineyard that’s climbing its way up and around the reclaimed wood pergola. Let’s chat: If you won the home, what would you do with your grape harvest? Make jellies and jams? Produce fine wines? Throw them in the juicer, perhaps? Set up a farm stand in the front yard and sell them by the peck?

Thanks to project manager Dylan Eastman for sending in this great photo! And thanks to our friends at the Made + Remade blog for posting this timely how-to. If you don’t win Blog Cabin 2013, you can grow your own muscadine grapes and enjoy a bountiful harvest. Enjoy!

• Posted at 1:52 pm on September 9, 2013

1. The first season I'd eat and share them, even try juicing them. Jam sounds good. I do make my own jams when possible. Then who knows I might try my hand at making wine, it would be an interesting project. Just like it was watching the Blog cabin 2013 come together. ~Don~

Don on September 18, 2013 at 9:06 pm
  2. I would make wine and jams to share with all the visitors I would have at my lovely blog cabin!

Beachdreamer51 on September 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm
  3. Well you know the dag gone pesky birds will gobble up most of the good ones. So Skip the wine, forget the jelly dry those bad boys and make raisins.

Ashtabulannie on September 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm
    • so do u pick before their ripe then?

COOLSMILEY on September 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    • Hey coolsmiley, pick'em before the birds and before they are ripe. However those muscadine grapes tend to have a rather thick skin and are a bit leathery…….
      I'm too lazy to attempt to do the jelly/jam/wine thang. I'd rather just go buy the stuff and get right to the eating and drinking part. But add some fois gois and smoked salmon to that shopping list.

Ashtabulannie on September 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm
  4. C-ca-mmit to a grape project? I would start with a chutney or jam, then try more adventurous options,

idplacemaker on September 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm
  5. At first I would keep it simple…..just pop a grape when I wanted. (As a child we would pick wild mulberies, apples, blueberries, and strawberries as we all played out in the yard….so fun and helped with the hunger pains while waiting for dinner.) He-hee!

Then later, I would probably have to start making things with them if they were in abundance. My first endeavor would probably be grape jelly. Good and tasty!^_^

amberPA on September 18, 2013 at 10:51 pm
  6. This summer, my husband and I learned how to make jams out of various fruits. We haven't tried the grape YET, but we'd sure be willing to learn. : )

I remember a dear couple who invited college students over to help them make apple butter during the apple harvest season. I was fortunate enough to make one of those events. I would LOVE, love, LOVE to get a group of people over to enjoy the harvesting party of grapes. I'm sure we could come up with an awesome event including grapes.

Today, I volunteered with some awesome kids. Another volunteer brought a HUGE bag of apples. Kids LOVED them! As a kid, I LOVED getting grapes off the vine. What lessons to be learned from them!

PS….I harvested my first potatoes today. Not many, but oh so thankful for another "first". : )

Trish on September 19, 2013 at 12:59 am
    • What kind of potatoes?? I tried purple Majesty potatoes this year and they did not make it… died off after the plants had been looking good for a while.

Sadly, no purple mash for me.

Laurie

Laurie_March on September 20, 2013 at 11:43 am
    • Kennebec & Yukon Gold potatoes are the two types I tried. My husband was impressed that he prepared potato-leek soup. He even used a couple of our onions, too. Somehow, it tasted better.

Hmmmmm purple mash? That would be a smash with kids. Is the purple Majesty potatoes a variety common in your area?

Trish on September 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm
    • Trish –

Wonderful! Food you've grown always tastes better. I agree with your Hubs.

Purple majesty are from Peru originally and are a glorious purple – almost blue color. I grew them for a video series we are almost finished with for http://www.hgtvgardens.com … so I'll happily share my experience with you!

We made a purple potato puree in the blender – added butter, smoked salt as a garnish, and a strip of bacon to stir it … and we drank it! It would be such a hit with kids. I'll have to share the pics somehow.

Laurie

Laurie_March on September 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm
  7. Just for fun…..

I love Blog Cabin
    A bushel and a peck
    A bushel and a peck
    And my sleeps a real wreck…
    My sleeps a real wreck,
    Cuz I’m talkin in my sleep
    I’m talkin in my sleep
    Cuz I wanna CABIN to keep
    It’s true….ohhhhhh so true……………………..

Trish on September 19, 2013 at 1:08 am
    • Like you rendition of I Love You a Bushel and a Peck:)

joyfulj9 on September 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    • You betcher pretty neck we do…….. my grandmother always sang that song to me. I like your lyrics best, LOL.

LLColeman on September 19, 2013 at 8:59 pm
    • DBCoop is usually the one who makes up poems on here all the time!! I think he has some competition!! :)

BrendainKs on September 21, 2013 at 8:48 am
  8. I would invite my friend, Lucy, from PA, down for a week! We have made jam together before…sometimes
    she's Ethel and I'm Lucy! Hope the kitchen would be the same beautiful one it is now after we
    finished! What a great Fall project…all those grapes. Thanx for pics!!:)

Ethel on September 19, 2013 at 1:09 am
    • "Lucy" would be in a vat smashing those grapes with her feet….I remember that episode all too well.

smokesmom on September 19, 2013 at 10:03 am
  9. Way cool! I can't w a it to make yummy things with them. :)

Jewls on September 19, 2013 at 1:27 am
  10. I love canning and make jellies and jams every year from muscadine and scuppernong (white muscadine) grapes. Sometimes I use the individual types for my jellies and sometimes I mix the juice from both and get the most beautiful jelly of all. I also make wine and I would love making some from my own grapes from my own vines. I love sharing my wines, jellies and jams with family and friends. This blog house is so beautiful and I would be soooooo proud to win it.

Ritcheyj on September 19, 2013 at 8:01 am