Sep 18

Harvest Season Fast Approaches

The muscadine grapes are growing at Blog Cabin 2013 — and harvest season fast approaches! We thought our most die-hard fans would love to see a snapshot of the mini vineyard that’s climbing its way up and around the reclaimed wood pergola. Let’s chat: If you won the home, what would you do with your grape harvest? Make jellies and jams? Produce fine wines? Throw them in the juicer, perhaps? Set up a farm stand in the front yard and sell them by the peck?

Thanks to project manager Dylan Eastman for sending in this great photo! And thanks to our friends at the Made + Remade blog for posting this timely how-to. If you don’t win Blog Cabin 2013, you can grow your own muscadine grapes and enjoy a bountiful harvest. Enjoy!

• Posted at 1:52 pm on September 9, 2013

1. Nice looking grapes! I love that there are five different kinds of grapes at the pergola to make jams, juices, and jellies. I would make grape jam, jelly or juice to enjoy with family, neighbors and friends. We could enjoy jam or jelly on toast with a nice cup of coffee while sitting on the waterfront porch, or enjoying a nice coastal morning under the pergola. If I become the lucky winner and I turn this awesome place into a bed and breakfast, home made jam, jelly or juice would be fun to have on the breakfast menu to share with guests. The jelly, jam or juice would even have an awesome story to tell that goes with it of how the grapes came from the original vine of the old arbor! What a special breakfast this would be!! What fun it would be to name the jams and juices for the menu such as "Beach Bronze Grape Jam" or "Arbor Black Grape Jam".

ivawluvsthesea on September 23, 2013 at 8:28 pm
  2. How great would it be to take wine and cheese out to the pergola on a late afternoon and eat those wonderful, juicy grapes right off of the vines??? Next year the wine would be muscadine wine!!! Hold on to your dreams my friends!

bwj70 on September 23, 2013 at 9:37 pm
    • lol….The crew planned for the wine in the media room. There IS a wine fridge. I forgot about it…till I gave my mom a tour online. She's not computer saavy and hadn't seen the BC. She kept oohing and aahing. Then, she did what she always does, "why did they do this? why did they do that?" lol It's her personality, she's always got to question something. She thought the entry stairs were quite cool AND LOVED the murphy bunk bed. She kept saying, You could swim right off your dock. It doesn't take many to see what a dreamy place the BC is this year.

Trish on September 23, 2013 at 9:47 pm
    • O so Dreamy! This BC will be hard to recover from! Love, Love, Love it!

bwj70 on September 24, 2013 at 2:03 am
    • Yes it will I am already having withdrawal symptoms. I just plain LOVE this home

Straybird on September 24, 2013 at 8:42 am
    • That's for sure. I told my husband if we do not win that marvelous home, he's going to have to sedate me for a while. haha. Guess we just have to keep smiling with fingers crossed, and maybe a glass of wine wouldn't hurt. :S<3

Sheri on September 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    • Wine is a good thing! Muscadine wine would be better! Keep on smiling and keep your dreams alive!

bwj70 on September 25, 2013 at 12:37 am
  3. One of my favorite, simple and healthy treats is frozen grapes. Wash them and put some in the freezer and they make a nice cool snack while on the run on a hot day (especially for kids). You can also add them to drinks for a fruity twist or use them in smoothies instead of ice. I think it's wonderful that there are different type of grapes incorporated in the landscaping – it's a nice reminder of the cabin before the remodel. :)

icette on September 24, 2013 at 3:23 am
    • Grapes are a wonderful snack. As I stated a few days ago, I love putting frozen grapes in iced tea instead of ice, That way the tea doesn't water down. Once again good luck to all.

Sheri on September 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm
  4. Oh, so many wonderful ideas! I would make jelly and perhaps dabble in winemaking. I would just love sitting under the grape vines and meditate or read a book while snacking on grapes. Thank you DIY for such a great opportunity! Winning the house would be a dream come true!!!

Judy on September 24, 2013 at 6:42 am
  5. Only eleven more days till the Lucky Blog Cabin winner is Picked. Who will it be? Does anyone feel Lucky?

StormyWV on September 24, 2013 at 7:27 am
    • Not feeling particularly lucky but still dreaming! Good luck to you!

Beachdreamer51 on September 24, 2013 at 8:50 am
    • Best of luck to you also.

StormyWV on September 24, 2013 at 9:38 am
    • I feel lucky !! What does it hurt ?? Have you checked out the new Smart Home thread ??

gremol on September 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    • You can always DREAM!!!!!!! No one can take a Dream away from you!<3

conardj on September 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm
  6. I would have the grandkids harvest them & ask them to decide how to dispose of them (between munches!)

cadconnie on September 24, 2013 at 8:17 am
  7. Question: Does the blog cabin winner get ambushed or do they get a phone call. For some reason I was thinking they got a phone call on Oct.4th. Does anyone know?

StormyWV on September 24, 2013 at 9:41 am
    • It's so funny how every morning I sit and drink my coffee and read blogs that take my mind and spirit to North Carolina. I feel a powerful "YES" in my life!!! I'm on a well deserved mini vacation right now but hope to get a call, text, email or a flower and balloon visit to my front door very soon! Can't wait to decorate the porch for Christmas.

Carole on September 24, 2013 at 10:41 am
    • i surely know the feeling…it is a beautiful thanksgiving/christmas home at least……

twoTERRIERs on September 24, 2013 at 1:25 pm
    • You know, I was wondering the same thing. I tried to look at the sweepstakes link to find out the details, but it automatically goes to the link that says the entry period is over. I was trying to remember what it said when the sweepstakes details were still accessible—if I recall, it was somewhere around October 8th—not sure, though. At least we know that SOON, someone will be getting the call of a lifetime:) Hope it is one of us bloggers! :) Good luck:)

joyfulj9 on September 24, 2013 at 11:18 am
    • i think it said around october 4th and we will hear around october 11th…..

twoTERRIERs on September 24, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    • Thanks twoTERRIERS:)

joyfulj9 on September 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    • I'm not sure. Sorry!

conardj on September 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    • I believe the rules said either email, phone call or ambush!:D

COOLSMILEY on September 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm
  8. How beautiful and tasty!!! Thank you for the pics. I would definitely eat grapes and make jelly for family and friends.

Brenda Wagner on September 24, 2013 at 11:01 am
  9. Somebody's going to have the shock of a lifetime! One in 18 million chances, friends!

Laurie

Laurie_March on September 24, 2013 at 11:11 am
    • 18 Million Entries!!!!!!! That sure will be one lucky somebody!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):)

joyfulj9 on September 24, 2013 at 11:35 am
    • AW' it's ok, go ahead and shock me.

540sam on September 24, 2013 at 11:57 am
    • lol

lucyourdog on September 24, 2013 at 11:58 am
    • If you break down the number of times each individual entered twice on Diy and twice on HGTV remodels those odds get a lot smaller ; )

lucyourdog on September 24, 2013 at 11:59 am
    • Then you have some people that only enter once. Right Clive?:)

540sam on September 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    • WOW 18 million! Oh dear that is a lot of entries. I only hope that the winner loves this home as much as we bloggers do. Thanks Laurie

Straybird on September 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm
    • me too…..

twoTERRIERs on September 24, 2013 at 1:24 pm
    • Laurie, A shock all of us bloggers would love to experience. And we are all wishing that the one out of 18 million was or will be a bloggers name.

StormyWV on September 24, 2013 at 12:21 pm
    • wow……………18million??????????????

twoTERRIERs on September 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm
    • 18 MIL/2= 9 million to WON, I'm worth 9 million odds, lol and oh yes what a place to dress for Xmas!!<3

COOLSMILEY on September 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm
    • yes girl we are all there …. can't wait to see…..however, the smart home location has been distracting me…..and I almost forgot to submit my UO today……as a wise person said this takes alot of work….

twoTERRIERs on September 24, 2013 at 3:42 pm
    • 18 MILLION!!!???? WOW!! Gotta keep the faith thats for sure!:)

Debbie on September 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm
    • I'm soooo excited! I'm shaking in my pants! My grandchildren and I watch the videos and look at the pictures of the House over and over again everyday! We can't stop daydreaming about the excitement of it all! What a dream!!!;););););););)

conardj on September 24, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    • If man didn't dream Neil Armstrong would have never walked on the moon ! This is the stuff dreams are made of !

kdiver64 on September 27, 2013 at 8:21 pm
  10. I just can't stop daydreaming about winning this beautiful home! These latest photos really give me something to ponder…

Ann on September 24, 2013 at 11:51 am