Sep 18

Harvest Season Fast Approaches

The muscadine grapes are growing at Blog Cabin 2013 — and harvest season fast approaches! We thought our most die-hard fans would love to see a snapshot of the mini vineyard that’s climbing its way up and around the reclaimed wood pergola. Let’s chat: If you won the home, what would you do with your grape harvest? Make jellies and jams? Produce fine wines? Throw them in the juicer, perhaps? Set up a farm stand in the front yard and sell them by the peck?

Thanks to project manager Dylan Eastman for sending in this great photo! And thanks to our friends at the Made + Remade blog for posting this timely how-to. If you don’t win Blog Cabin 2013, you can grow your own muscadine grapes and enjoy a bountiful harvest. Enjoy!

• Posted at 1:52 pm on September 9, 2013

1. Anybody else bursting at the seams waiting to hear who won?????

Laurie

Laurie_March on September 23, 2013 at 12:39 pm
    • yes, but enjoying blog time too……all these beautiful homes and places to dream about….good therapy and meditation….

twoTERRIERs on September 23, 2013 at 12:55 pm
    • Sorry Laurie, we were all over at the Smart Home trying to find out the solution to the last clue. Looks like Nashville? I have learned to be patient and put myself in my ZEN frame of mind and calmness prevails. Not to be a cynic but I know that the chances of winning are pretty much slim and none. I am ok with that because the pleasure of this event is in the blogging. The people here are so smart, funny, and insightful. That's the real excitement I gain from all of this. And the homes are very kool too! And let me say that it is great that diy encourages one of their people to participate on the blogs. Hokiemom

Ashtabulannie on September 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm
    • Laurie, if by chance you are preparing to select the winner today……… if you are accepting … ahem …. enticements I will be glad to present you with a 5 lb can of Old Bay Seasoning it it helps my chances of winning. LOLOL

Ashtabulannie on September 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    • im offering 10 lbs….

twoTERRIERs on September 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    • Old Bay Seasoning? Not bad. I'll send some Tony Chachere Original Creole Seasoning and Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning if it helps. I'll even do a rain dance. :)

Lessie on September 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    • i like your black and white blog or subblog as well…..

twoTERRIERs on September 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    • Oh My Goodness, thank you so much Laurie March for asking that question !!! I was beginning to think that I was the only one who felt that way. At least I'm not alone. LOL I absolutely love that home and everything in, and around it. I believe that home has been built with loving and caring hands, all the way from Seashore Drive to the Core Sound and from neighbor to neighbor I watched those skilled hands do marvelous work including all that planting. Trees, bushes, flowers and even those juicy grapes! God bless those who built, and those of us, waiting for the winner of that very special Blog Cabin. This is my first year and God willing, there will be more very special bloggers such as all of you wonderful people.<3

Sheri on September 23, 2013 at 9:31 pm
    • Ya know I absolutely can hardly wait!xD I keep going back over the pictures/videos over and over again! It is just beautiful…..it would be the perfect home for my family! You have a great website and fantistic ideas! I love the black and white….so classic! Good luck to everyone!!<3<3<3

Debbie on September 24, 2013 at 9:02 am
    • Yes Laurie, I am still waiting for the phone call or the knock on my door:p

Windsmurf on September 24, 2013 at 9:32 am
    • I so hope a blogger wins, all us bloggers are so emotionally attached to this years BC, we know all the ins and outs of it. Thanks Laurie for your input this year, it has been fun. It makes it so much more real when someone involved in the BC blogs with us.

vicki_in_Utah on September 24, 2013 at 9:52 am
    • You Betcha Laurie! I would assume they'll be harvesting a winner any day now, lol.

lucyourdog on September 24, 2013 at 10:28 am
    • O my goodness, I think many of us, including myself, can hardly wait to hear the news—each of us hoping that we are that one lucky somebody who will receive such astonishing news. I speak for myself, but it seems as though quite a few of us have been over at the Smart Home, keeping our minds off the Blog Cabin by playing a game of "Smart Home Clue" while we await the news of this place of all places:) It seems as though so many of the bloggers here are filled with such good will and concern for others that we will be happy for that one very lucky winner—still hopeful that it goes to one of the bloggers:) :)

joyfulj9 on September 24, 2013 at 11:01 am
    • Laurie,
      I am bursting at my seams. Soon we will know. It is so exciting!!!!!!<3<3<3;););):)

conardj on September 24, 2013 at 2:36 pm
  2. how about a good old fashioned hayride then somores over the fire at the pergola…and some hot cider or a manhattan with cherries…..can't wait to put on a cozy fall sweater.

twoTERRIERs on September 23, 2013 at 1:55 pm
  3. I would try my hand at making wine. I also would mix them up in my vitamin for a lucious breakfast drink

Becca on September 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm
  4. It is a wonderful Monday here in PA. Leaves are starting to change and become gorgeous colors. This a.m. it was about 37 degrees when we got up, yiikkkees…winter is around the corner!

I hope the grapes on the vine are good and ripe for eating! Yummy! Great day to all!^_^

amberPA on September 23, 2013 at 3:04 pm
  5. grape fights? JK eat them and make jelly!

Fayd on September 23, 2013 at 3:47 pm
  6. If I won the home, I'm sure you've picked the winner by now, I would make canned jams, homemade wine and throw in the blender for smoothie's!

Terri1 on September 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm
    • Winner to be picked approximately Oct. 4, winner notified on/about Oct. 9 !! There is still plenty of time to hope & dream !!

gremol on September 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm
    • ; )

COOLSMILEY on September 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm
    • You still have time to DREAM!!!!GOOD LUCK:):):)

conardj on September 24, 2013 at 2:53 pm
  7. Muscadine grape jelly, preserves, sauces, toppings, popper munchers, frozen treats for drinks and Muscadine wine would be on my menu from this great vineyard. :p Thank you to blogger, Holidaygal, the recipe will be needed ( never made wine ). :D Want to give special thanks to Mr. Eastman and DIY crew for saving the old historic pine wood from the landfill for the pergola beams; preservation of existing vegetation and the solar steppingstones and glow-in-the-dark pebbles pathway leading the way to the dock ( love this idea ). The word "pop" makes me laugh because I use it all the time teaching my kids with painting and using colors. xD DIY has certainly made the beautiful, coastal colors "pop" throughout the cabin and its' landscape.
    Best of luck and health to all blogger friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donna white on September 23, 2013 at 4:41 pm
  8. i Make grape juice so that grape vine would be perfect

Lfinicle on September 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm
  9. I don't think I could pick just one thing to do with them.
    I am just beginning to start canning, gathering supplies as money allows right now. I hope to start making stuff to can before Christmas. I would love to start with jams and jellies and juice from my own grapes. I'd also like to have enough to sell some.
    I'd always love to have enough to have some fresh as well for as long as the season allows.

Erin on September 23, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  10. Visited my daughter and her family and the neighbors brought me some of their family homemade muscadine wine, loved it. Their family is from Whiteville, NC. I have a muscadine vine in my yard but only yielded enough for eating. Would love to see the vines at the blog cabin produce enough to make wine and jelly. The surroundings and traditions only add to the wonderful job DIY and HGTV have done on this great home. Can't believe how wonderful it would be to share this home with my family and friends.

malinda allard on September 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm