Sep 18

Harvest Season Fast Approaches

The muscadine grapes are growing at Blog Cabin 2013 — and harvest season fast approaches! We thought our most die-hard fans would love to see a snapshot of the mini vineyard that’s climbing its way up and around the reclaimed wood pergola. Let’s chat: If you won the home, what would you do with your grape harvest? Make jellies and jams? Produce fine wines? Throw them in the juicer, perhaps? Set up a farm stand in the front yard and sell them by the peck?

Thanks to project manager Dylan Eastman for sending in this great photo! And thanks to our friends at the Made + Remade blog for posting this timely how-to. If you don’t win Blog Cabin 2013, you can grow your own muscadine grapes and enjoy a bountiful harvest. Enjoy!

• Posted at 1:52 pm on September 9, 2013

1. Mary, and Dylan Eastman, thank you for the photos. I would definitely make grape jelly, with those luscious grapes, and perhaps even try my hand at making wine for the very first time!:p<3

SID on September 18, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    • Good Luck!!!!!!!!

conardj on September 22, 2013 at 10:57 pm
  2. I love those grapes. They are my favorite. I would eat them until I turned into a grape. xD<3

GodsCarolinaGirl on September 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm
  3. Mary, Thank you for the posting! Fall is my very favorite time of year! If I won the blog cabin I think I would set up a farm stand and sell muscadine grape jams & jellies, and also by the peck. It would be a great way to get to know some of the people in the town, and hopefully hear some of the stories that surround this great homestead. What an unbelievable dream t would be to win the blog cabin!!! I'm a dreamer! <3<3 Becky

bythebaydreamer on September 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm
    • :) :)Me too!

conardj on September 29, 2013 at 5:13 pm
  4. What a lovely dream to behold…..thanks for creating such beautiful homes in such idyllic places…..

Grape chutney, grape jam, grape frozen yogurt, grapesauce, grape juice and of course grape wine……i would stay plenty busy……………how about grape shampoo or bubblebath….

twoterriers on September 18, 2013 at 3:15 pm
    • Wow! If I win I will have to look you up as to know how to make all this stuff! Then, we'll invite Mary for all the blogging she does to us, and Dylan for the great photos he took!

Peggy on September 20, 2013 at 10:32 pm
    • That is a great idea of making shampoo and bubble bath out of grapes. Good Luck to you twoterriers and Peggy; This is my first year as a Blogger and it has been great fun, Good Luck and God Bless<3:)<3:)<3<3<3

conardj on September 22, 2013 at 11:01 pm
  5. If I won that wonderful home I would eat the grapes! No doubt about it. If enough grapes grew I would begin with juices, working my way down the list of jellies and jams.Thank you for new pictures and articles, it's great to learn more about the area as well as the property. I can not wait to learn that I have won my dream home. lol Blessings to all.<3

Sheri on September 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm
  6. I guess our four children would gobble them down, before I even had a chance to taste one, and I love grapes, just like the kids. Yummy………. There would be none left to make jam, or sell. =/

Builder on September 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm
  7. You got to love some grapes! :D
    Though I would put a Owl sculpture to scare the birds away. I've seen to damage they can do to a vineyard!
    And maybe a bird feeder on the other side of the yard, for bird watching!!! B)

asandmancna on September 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm
    • Good idea, Frank! Actually, I'm wondering about having grapes or fruit growing there, with seating underneath–or, doing the opposite, moving the grapes away from that arbor and planting something floral, shady, fragrant and beautiful that one can sit under without fear of being bummed by bird droppings…. :D While the grapes aren't too large they could be transplanted where they could grow wonderfully large and prolific. At the arbor, they would have to be trimmed back on top of any bird droppings problems, just so one could sit under there.:DB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 25, 2013 at 9:39 pm
    • I think that Honeysuckle's would do well there with a Gardenia bush on each side would be perfect there!
      Fragrant and Beautiful. I already know, the scent blend very well!!! xD

asandmancan on September 25, 2013 at 10:49 pm
  8. Wine! Wine! Wine!

Karen on September 18, 2013 at 4:15 pm
  9. OMGoodness, I would enjoy my every bite and share some of these delicious grapes with my family and friends, while I sit and enjoy the view of nature from my front yard.

Patricia on September 18, 2013 at 4:31 pm
  10. If they taste good i might eat them.

Mike on September 18, 2013 at 5:18 pm