Sep 11

Rendering Winner Announced

Congrats goes out to Michael Golden (aka MichaelG60), who has won the framed rendering of the west yard, signed by Matt Blashaw. What a special keepsake from this year’s renovation project!

I wanted to alert you to one of our best (and easiest!) how-to projects, now being promoted on the Made + Remade blog. Please pop over there to take a look at the step-by-step instructions we’ve posted — it only takes one day to create a pebble-filled winding path just like the one that leads from the Blog Cabin 2013 front porch to the grape vine-shaded pergola. Enjoy!

• Posted at 11:20 am on September 9, 2013

1. You won! Congratulations Michael! You're Golden on this one!

memanbepa on September 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm
  2. Congrats Michael, down to one more day good luck everyone!

Sam_O on September 12, 2013 at 1:05 pm
  3. Congratulations Michael! How exciting!

Maborisow on September 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm
  4. This cabin is so very beautiful…….viewing the pictures is just…..well, breathe taking. This would be a beautiful dream to the person that wins. I wish everyone good luck with winning, and hoping I might be the lucky one. Thanks for all the updates and all the wonderful pictures.

Terri Ray on September 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm
  5. Congratulations to Michael Golden. Enjoy

Lfinicle on September 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm
  6. OK< Where are the Smart Home Clues?

COOLSMILEY on September 12, 2013 at 4:16 pm
    • on the smart home page….

twoterriers on September 12, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    • ok found!

COOLSMILEY on September 12, 2013 at 11:06 pm
  7. Great Eco Path! Crushed gravel will let water percolate through this permeable path and is a great ideal for all of us. The "how to" information is very appreciated.

Congratulations Michael. Hoping a blogger wins Blog Cabin. Best of luck to all.

ChicagoBirder on September 12, 2013 at 5:46 pm
    • Well, I practically INSIST on it, lol!

COOLSMILEY on September 12, 2013 at 11:07 pm
  8. OK here's a little question for all you bloggies and DIY'ers. I enjoyed the 'How to' project for the pebble path and pavers. Great to use these and allow water to percolate through so as to not interfere with the draining ability of your land. Here's my question. With the pebble path how does one stop cats from using it to do their business, dogs using it to bury things (or dig imaginary ones up) and, especially, how does one stop squirrels from digging holes everywhere, trying to bury nuts? ;) :@

I'm speaking from experience on all these hole makers. Eventually, we changed ours for flagstone pavers as the gravel path just took too much maintenance. Although the pets and wildlife, clearly, enjoyed it. ^_^xD:o The only 'repellant' we found worked was obtaining some lion scat from our local zoo and working it under the gravel. However, not everyone has a handy source of that particular repellant material. ;)

The finish line is clearly in sight. Good luck all.:)

Clive on September 12, 2013 at 6:00 pm
    • Hi Clive, the thing that I've had success with is cayenne pepper its cheap and you only apply it after it rains.
      Others have used the mothballs but that's dangerous and deadly. I buy it at the Asian Market in bulk .;)

MaryPA on September 12, 2013 at 7:19 pm
    • :)

Clive on September 12, 2013 at 8:20 pm
    • I have never had a problem with cats digging in gravel. Flower beds, are a completely different matter. Lion Scat will keep any animal off the path. The only problem I see with that, is the dogs will avoid walking on the path and will instead walk through the mud (just so they won't be anywhere near that Lion.)
      If you can't get lion scat, hunting stores sell "bear in heat" spray. it might keep the cats and dogs away but you may end up having a larger problem.

Eugenia27 on September 12, 2013 at 7:33 pm
    • Clive, I've had luck with fox "whizz" for rodents (squirrels). The cayenne pepper Mary recommended is good also in bird feeders (birds don't mind it).
      I've never heard of cats and dogs digging up gravel beds or paths, hmm. But, I've always used the black, water permeable, liner stuff for weed control before I put anything like gravel down. Maybe that's what kept pets from digging there?
      Good luck
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on September 12, 2013 at 9:09 pm
    • Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think a big part of our problem is that our soil is hard clay. In summer it bakes like concrete so the gravel and flower beds to some degree are the only 'soft' area around. Squirrels (maybe rabbits too) are definitely the biggest nuisance. We could control the dogs (puppies really) after we knew what they were up to and the cats were only a small problem. Around our way it's 'squirrel central'. My neighbor once got 9 in a day with his .22 ;) .

Clive on September 12, 2013 at 9:22 pm
    • My husband wouldn't let me shoot em!!

COOLSMILEY on September 12, 2013 at 11:11 pm
    • I've got a nice little .22 10/22 with a holographic sight. Easy pickin's. No longer squirrel central here. We know a guy who wired the pole, sit back and wait. zap. I suppose there are a number of ways to eliminate the problem. At least we don't have bears.

Wind Chime Girl on September 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm
    • I found that Critter Ridder from Havahart works really good.

kdiver64 on September 13, 2013 at 5:02 pm
    • If you want to be humanitarian about it Clive, since the Blog Cabin comes with the pet yard protection you could get hundreds of tiny collars for the squirrels so they won't come in the yard.:DxD

540sam on September 14, 2013 at 1:14 am
    • :) .

Humanitarian? Hmmmm. But they taste good in a stew. :p;)

Clive on September 14, 2013 at 9:33 pm
  9. Congratulations Michael, enjoy your wonderful treasure!:D

SID on September 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm
  10. Congratulations Michael Golden (aka MichaelG60)!!! Sure hope this is a good indication that A BLOGGER WILL WIN THE BLOG CABIN!

Lessie on September 12, 2013 at 7:35 pm
    • This is a somewhat skewed predictor for the BC Grand Prize as only a blogger can win the 'Gimme / Gimme giveaway' ;) , although it would be fantastic if a blogger does win. However, good luck to everyone who enters. I hope it brings the winner everything they want from it. :D xD:)

Clive on September 12, 2013 at 8:28 pm
    • Clive, at this point I'll take a skewed predictor for the BC Grand Prize……as long as A BLOGGER WINS THE BLOG CABIN! That's not asking much, is it? :)

Lessie on September 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm