Sep 11

Rendering Winner Announced

Congrats goes out to Michael Golden (aka MichaelG60), who has won the framed rendering of the west yard, signed by Matt Blashaw. What a special keepsake from this year’s renovation project!

I wanted to alert you to one of our best (and easiest!) how-to projects, now being promoted on the Made + Remade blog. Please pop over there to take a look at the step-by-step instructions we’ve posted — it only takes one day to create a pebble-filled winding path just like the one that leads from the Blog Cabin 2013 front porch to the grape vine-shaded pergola. Enjoy!

• Posted at 11:20 am on September 9, 2013

1. Congratulations! I know how excited the winner must be! It feels great to win. I wish everyone the best of luck for the gorgeous blog cabin.

I have tried to enter everyday, have been unable a couple of times due to treatment for Aplastic Anemia, a bone marrow failure disease. I have been battling it for years, but found out this past April that without treatment, my marrow would fail within 6 months to a year. I am in treatment two times a week. Sadly, my 17 year old son, has been diagnosed with the same horrible diseaes. There is no know cure, only treatments and possibly a bone marrow translant.

I have been entering as hope in perhaps winning so my family could have a dream come true, place to gather. Thank you all who renovated this beautiful house. I hope we can somday call it our home!

Dawn Godsey on September 11, 2013 at 11:43 am
    • so sorry dawn, however it sounds they have made substantial progress in treating aplastic anemia i the last 20 years….thank goodness…you and your son will be at the top of my prayer list.

2TERRIERGILDEDPARROT on September 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm
    • Hey Dawn, Sorry to hear that about both of you. Keep your hopes up high research is advancing quickly.
      Prayers going out to you both. Hey that would be a great inspiration to win anything that immense, only two days left. If you don't win this year there's the other contests check them out and next year. xD <3

MaryPA on September 11, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    • Dawn:

First, I'm deeply sorry to hear about the illness you and your son share, and I will certainly keep you in my prayers. A friend of mine was diagnosed, many years ago, with what appears to be similar to your illness. (I can't remember the medical terminology, it was basically "cancer of the blood.") My friend participated in the first ever treatment/study, using marrow from his brother, and even though they were not an exact match my friend is alive and well today. I probably should not use this site for medical information, but too bad. My point is, if you and your son live near a "teaching hospital" you are more likely to receive care, free of charge. If you would like more information you can e-mail me at charlottehughes45@yahoo.com. In the subject space please list your name as Dawn from HGTV. I am sending many prayers and warm thoughts your way. God bless both of you.

charhug on September 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm
    • Charlotte, how very caring of you, I hope you can offer her more hope.
      God bless you.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on September 12, 2013 at 9:24 pm
    • I think it's wonderful when fellow bloggers help one another out. Great Job!

I also think a "blogger should be chosen" since it is called – "Blog Cabin".

I am hoping the "powers that be" think about that possibility.

Yes, we would all love to win. That's why we are here but…… I think most- if not all fellow bloggers would be happy for the other – if indeed, one of us would win. Sorry if that came out wordy.

StellaF on September 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm
    • So sorry for you condition. Pray that you will get positive treatment. Nan <3

Nan on September 11, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    • Dawn, so very sorry to hear of your ills. I know it doesn't help you, but I am on the national bone marrow donor list and I am subject to help anyone, anywhere with whom I may be compatible. There are a lot of us out here but there needs to be more.
      Girl, you get your message out there any place you can. Being a bone marrow donor is something most of us can do. Being a blood or plasma donor is something we all can do.
      **Speaking of being a donor: In honor of Sept. 11th, let us all donate as we can to our respective blood drives. I've always been afraid of needles, but then I've always butted heads with what scares me. It's my nature. It's what made me good in my job.
      ***Can everyone say a prayer for the Michigan trooper & his family who lost his life doing his job? Paul Butterfield is his name. Google him, he was a local hero. He also served his country.
      Pray for America.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on September 11, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    • WCG, the gift of life is the best gift one can ever give. Thank you so much for your kindness in being a donor, and encouraging others to do the same. I like you even more now than I already did! Hugs, Sandy<3

SID on September 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm
    • Thanks, Sandy, you are too kind.
      There is so much we don't know about each other here, but a little more slips out from time to time.
      Hugs back to you my friend,
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on September 12, 2013 at 8:56 pm
    • You are doing a lot for a noble cause. People like you make the world a better place to live… My Best Wishes to Dawn and his son.

katthy22 on September 20, 2013 at 7:26 am
    • katthy22, thanks I think we all to what we can in our own small way, every little bit helps.
      I hope Dawn finds hope and health.

Wind Chime Girl on September 20, 2013 at 9:01 pm
    • Very hard news to swallow, Dawn. Personally, I think you should consider bone marrow transplant. I will pray for you and your son. What state do you live in?

COOLSMILEY on September 11, 2013 at 11:27 pm
    • Dawn, I am so sorry to hear of you and your son's health issues. Please keep up your courage and positive outloo. Thankfully today there is so much that Doctors can do. charhug has given great advice about teaching hospitals, they tend to be on the front edgeof treatments. I also have a friend that had a successful bone marrow transplant just last year. Best of luck to you, and I will keep you in my prayers.<3

SID on September 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm
    • congratulations,Michael, We are going to try to copy your design,it was great. thanks

vickie on September 14, 2013 at 3:55 pm
  2. Yahoo Michael, Enjoy the famed Matt Blashaw framing. P.S. don't put it on e-bay lol xD

MaryPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:49 am
  3. Matt Blashaw did a marvelous job with the outdoor amenities. Love this path, it could have been broken shells as well but his would be easier on the feet. Love what you Matt and the crew have done. This would make for a great retirement home should we be fortunate to win.

Good Luck Bloggers

Artist151 on September 11, 2013 at 11:58 am
  4. And Congratulations Michael…………these paths were my favorite landscape added touch indeed….thanks for the instructions..

2TERRIERGILDEDPARROT on September 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm
  5. Congratulations to Michael Golden for winning the framed rendering! Even better, signed by Matt Blashaw.

I plan to look at the pebbled-filled winding path. Some years back I made my own stepping stones, purchased materials from Lowe's, and poured the concrete into square pans. (You can mix a color into the plain concrete if you like.) I believe I had to grease the pans before I poured the concrete into them. Anyway, I pressed really pretty pebbles into the wet concrete, and it all turned out very nicely. You can also use jewels from costume jewelry. The best way to tackle this project is on a small scale, two stepping stones at a time because you have to mix concrete which is no fun. I'm probably giving info on something everybody has already heard. If so, sorry.

charhug on September 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    • Charhug, that was very interesting and I'm sure useful to someone here. It's not an easy job and one can see you are an advanced project accomplisher–wow! Thanks for sharing! :D xDB) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm
  6. Congratulations Michael, What a great reminder of the 2013 BC and a fun game your entire family can enjoy.

Eugenia27 on September 11, 2013 at 1:38 pm
  7. Congratulations on winning the signed rendering of the West yard, enjoy:*

Windsmurf on September 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm
  8. Congratulations to Michael Golden.

Lester B on September 11, 2013 at 2:05 pm
  9. Kinda looks like you have to enter the blog on the last week, to win things. Molly and Michael both entered towards the very end.

Best wishes to both of them.

Builder on September 11, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    • Yes, but SID's a long-time core Bloggie! :D Happy for your win Michael Golden! Matt Blashaw knocked his back yard part outa' the ball park and hit a home run!!! Awesome to have an original keepsake with his autograph.:DxD^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 12, 2013 at 12:16 pm
    • Hi Kitty, you nailed it – I sure am a long-time core bloggie! Thanks for not saying I was hard-core! LOL (oh dear, do you think this comment will be sent to the admin's office? Lucky for me in that first contest there weren't as many entries. I sure wish one of the "long-time core bloggers" could have those odds in our favor for winning the house, sigh………xDB):p<3

SID on September 12, 2013 at 6:27 pm
  10. Congratulations! I know how excited the winner must be! It feels great to win. I wish everyone the best of luck for the gorgeous blog cabin.

Dawn Godsey on September 11, 2013 at 2:41 pm