Aug 5

Behind the Scenes: The Sand- and Seashell-Filled Table

Today, project manager Dylan Eastman shares the special experience of designing and sourcing material for that amazing dining room table. As of today, it’s the most pinned of our virtual tour images on Pinterest. You certainly do love it, as do we! See the dining table in our great room virtual tour and see the exclusive how-to project here.

In designing the kitchen table, I wanted to use reclaimed wood to counter some of the more refined elements in the front rooms. I also wanted to add color without relying heavily on place setting and flowers. With the coastal setting of this year’s house, I knew a beach motif (done right) would accent the wood while giving an additional dimension to the table. So I went on the hunt for local sea glass and shells.

Blog Cabin 2013 Seashell Dining Table

On the drive to Harker’s Island, I discovered a place call Captain Blaine’s, a store that sells fresh seafood and local crafts. The owner walks the beach regularly to collect shells and sea glass (which she sorts by color) to sell in the shop. I carefully picked through her inventory of beach treasures, looking for just the right colors and textures. Portions of bottles with imprinted text were saved. Remnants of old decorative glass windows were culled. Then I mixed in pearlescent sea scallops, iridescent witch’s nails and purple wampum to accent the glass.

After making my purchase, we chatted at length about the island and the origin of the glass and shells. Originally home to the Coree native American tribe, Harker’s Island attracted residents through the colonial period. In the late 1800s, hurricanes drove even more residents to the island from the storm-devastated outer banks. Until 1941, the only way on or off the island was by boat or ferry — it was not uncommon for residents to cast household debris (back then, mostly wood-, porcelain- or glass-based) into the sound. I figured that most of the sea glass I selected was between 70 and 100 years old.

During the table build, sand from our beach on the Core Sound was laid out to dry under the cabin cam. LEDs were run around the interior perimeter of the table to give a 21st-century accent. Then show host Chris Grundy and Kitchen Crashers host Alison Victoria carefully completed the beach motif by placing each piece of glass or shell in its perfect location. A signed message in a bottle was even left for the future winner of this home. Finally, a piece of clear glass was set over the motif to complete the top. In the end, this table represents the history of our house, the history of the coast and a modern take on upcycling.

• Posted at 11:14 am on August 8, 2013

1. I hope my post about the Robinson's family maybe not being eligible for winning this beautiful home doesn't rub anyone the wrong way. Of course it's not my business, it's just that it hit me after saying I think it should be in their family after all the history, then I started re-thinking my words. If someone makes money from the sale of a property and it's totally remodeled, maybe it's not right that they should be able to win it. I guess I'll blame my wording and thinking on being on week 3 of effudex treatment, hopefully that'll make up for any bad feelings. Just know that I am all spotty and itchy if you're upset with me.:S

nanwes on August 9, 2013 at 8:47 am
  2. Good morning everyone! I would love to be sitting on the beach right now watching the water and having the breeze and smell of salt water brushing against my face. I think I could just sit there for hours all by myself just watching the seagulls and the water. Such a calming feeling. Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on August 9, 2013 at 9:02 am
  3. I love the table. I like bringing nature into my house. It makes a house and owner feel connected with nature. I have collected sea glass and this is a great idea to bring nature into the house.

roberta wilson on August 9, 2013 at 2:13 pm
  4. Just left Harker's Island going to the gift shop and spending over an hour and a half sorting through her stuff and buying some treasures! Donna is a wonderful story teller. thanks for the history.

Fran on August 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm
  5. Love the table with the lighting. That is a great addition to an already beautiful project. We love the beach!

Gayle on August 10, 2013 at 5:59 am
  6. Love the Table. Saw one similar at Murrells Intlet, S.C. years ago and have wanted to do my own since.
    I have tons of shells and treasures from years at the beach. I now live inland near Charlotte,NC but would love to redo my dinning area to BEACH. I have an old table that I could use the frame, where can I get glass for a top?

J. Matthis on August 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm
  7. Happy Saturday to all my blogger friends……don't forget to enter today……I am loosing track here of everyone due to the many blogs….just want to wish everyone good luck, and here wishing upon a star….

twoterriers on August 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm
  8. This is such an original idea if I ever can have a beach house I would love a coffee table version.

zulumom on August 11, 2013 at 7:21 am
  9. What a great location! The water views from this cabin are awesome! So many wonderful spaces in the home. Clever blend of old and new. Love the waterside porch and the master bath.

DreamyKat on August 12, 2013 at 8:57 am
    • Agree whole heatedly Kat. This is the best mix of "real world" living – love that porch!

MichaelG60 on August 19, 2013 at 11:49 pm
  10. The table is very nice ,it reminds me of thethe fun we have had finding sea shells.But I like the mega den the best ,because of all the space & the hidden bunkbeds ect,,,

Angelways on August 12, 2013 at 5:46 pm