Aug 5

Behind the Scenes: The Sand- and Seashell-Filled Table

Today, project manager Dylan Eastman shares the special experience of designing and sourcing material for that amazing dining room table. As of today, it’s the most pinned of our virtual tour images on Pinterest. You certainly do love it, as do we! See the dining table in our great room virtual tour and see the exclusive how-to project here.

In designing the kitchen table, I wanted to use reclaimed wood to counter some of the more refined elements in the front rooms. I also wanted to add color without relying heavily on place setting and flowers. With the coastal setting of this year’s house, I knew a beach motif (done right) would accent the wood while giving an additional dimension to the table. So I went on the hunt for local sea glass and shells.

Blog Cabin 2013 Seashell Dining Table

On the drive to Harker’s Island, I discovered a place call Captain Blaine’s, a store that sells fresh seafood and local crafts. The owner walks the beach regularly to collect shells and sea glass (which she sorts by color) to sell in the shop. I carefully picked through her inventory of beach treasures, looking for just the right colors and textures. Portions of bottles with imprinted text were saved. Remnants of old decorative glass windows were culled. Then I mixed in pearlescent sea scallops, iridescent witch’s nails and purple wampum to accent the glass.

After making my purchase, we chatted at length about the island and the origin of the glass and shells. Originally home to the Coree native American tribe, Harker’s Island attracted residents through the colonial period. In the late 1800s, hurricanes drove even more residents to the island from the storm-devastated outer banks. Until 1941, the only way on or off the island was by boat or ferry — it was not uncommon for residents to cast household debris (back then, mostly wood-, porcelain- or glass-based) into the sound. I figured that most of the sea glass I selected was between 70 and 100 years old.

During the table build, sand from our beach on the Core Sound was laid out to dry under the cabin cam. LEDs were run around the interior perimeter of the table to give a 21st-century accent. Then show host Chris Grundy and Kitchen Crashers host Alison Victoria carefully completed the beach motif by placing each piece of glass or shell in its perfect location. A signed message in a bottle was even left for the future winner of this home. Finally, a piece of clear glass was set over the motif to complete the top. In the end, this table represents the history of our house, the history of the coast and a modern take on upcycling.

• Posted at 11:14 am on August 8, 2013

1. something i really like about this table is the inset lighting, which resolves the issue of candlelight…..

twoterriers on August 7, 2013 at 12:52 pm
  2. Hi HuntingQuarters, I had the last couple days off and I'm back at work with my computer and it seems you have gone. I wanted to comment on something we were talking about the other day.
    Please come back! I learned so much from your posts.

Eugenia27 on August 7, 2013 at 1:44 pm
  3. Hi! Could someone tell me what iridescent witch's nails are? Thanx! The table is so interesting and
    the display so neat !

Ethel on August 7, 2013 at 3:24 pm
  4. The beach photo at the top of this thread is beautiful. Could someone please identify the lookout point?

ksboiko on August 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm
    • reminds me of chicoteaque horses

twoterriers on August 7, 2013 at 5:04 pm
    • The picture was taken from the top of Cape Lookout Lighthouse. The pic is Cape Lookout National Seashore, the southern end. I think the park is about 56 miles long.
      The BC sits across from the northern banks of the Cape Lookout National Seashore, close to Portsmouth Island.
      You can Google the following names/images to see some other amazing places the BC sits close to: Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Fort Macon, and Ocracoke Island. To aid in your search the SOBX stands for Southern Outer Banks. The SOBX is also called the Crystal Coast for tourism reasons.

Mel on August 8, 2013 at 6:20 am
    • Thanks Mel, I would of never figured out that SOBX ment Southern Outer Banks.

vicki_in_Utah on August 8, 2013 at 9:21 am
  5. I know we're all kind of wondering if HQ was asked to leave. I don't believe that's the case, but if so I guess I should speak up for all of us and say we weren't threatened or anything like that. HuntingQuarters made us stop and think about the people who lived in that beautiful home before, all the years before it became the modern beauty it is now. We also have learned that the people of the area have a long loving history in the area. If were to guess they are hoping there's not going to be rude, disrespectful drug using loud people taking over their little peace of heaven. I for one have to say I don't blame them, if that is the case. Who wants to think an area their family has fished in,raised families in and perhaps have grandchildren visit could be taken over by the above. Therefore, whomever wins it, please keep this in mind. If people seem cold to you, warm up to them, show them you're going to be an asset in their 'peace of heaven'.

nanwes on August 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm
    • Yes mam I agree with you 150%. I too would want people who were respectable to everything and not people looking for trouble/finding trouble. I want our family to become a part of their family not one who goes in and gives my ideas on how to do everything. and change everything. We have been blessed with pleasant neighbore and winning this home we will continue to be good pleasant helpful I'm there for you neighbors. They say you find what you are looking for. Don't know answers but would love to learn about areas and answers. Who would I asked into house first-everyone I meet

bogartandbacall on August 7, 2013 at 4:29 pm
    • yes i found his/her information useful

twoterriers on August 7, 2013 at 5:03 pm
    • I miss him, too. HQ, sometimes people can get back in by signing up again, under a new name. (I've had plenty of my posts deleted, and at times I've wondered if I might get booted, so don't feel too bad….)

Lindingo on August 18, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    • It's the computer IP address that's blocked, not the individual blogger. If his computer or wireless router has been blocked he will not be able to blog anything on that computer to Blog Cabin no matter what he changes his name to. =/

AnniesOwn on August 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm
  6. I have been raised by two "Yankees" my parents where honest, hard working, salt of the earth people who raised us to live by the "golden rule": Treat people as you want them to treat you. I imagine the people of Atlantic NC are just like anyone else. Treat others with kindness and it will come back to you. Who ever is lucky enough to win this beautiful homestead will start adding on to the memories already stored in those walls, and will welcome new friends and neighbors, and honor the old. Good Luck everyone. It is quite a home, in quite a community. :) <3 Becky

bythebaydreamer on August 7, 2013 at 9:18 pm
    • this is so true

twoterriers on August 7, 2013 at 9:29 pm
    • I'm sure that's true. It truly is quite a home in a beautiful community!:)

nanwes on August 7, 2013 at 9:46 pm
  7. Would love a table just like this!

Sham10299 on August 7, 2013 at 9:51 pm
  8. LOve the entire place winning would be dream come true for my husband and i

samavetta on August 7, 2013 at 11:48 pm
  9. Learning the history….hearing the stories… really makes everything special.

MarleneD on August 8, 2013 at 1:53 am
  10. I loved the Kitchen Crashers episode. One thing Alison has learned : never say the word " bark" around Grundy, LOLOLOL ;) :p xD

LLColeman on August 8, 2013 at 2:53 am
    • Who knew Grundy could run so fast :)

Some of my favorite moments from the show was Grundy lifting "Douggie Fresh" off of the boat when he arrived the same way he did Alison, and Mr. Wizard's reaction to being discovered in the wood pile. Mr Wizard looked like he was willing to fight Grundy, Alison and Douggie and thought he could win the battle……what a snarl that snapping turtle had.
      I have to say the dining table looked even more beautiful on my TV than it did in the pictures….another great show!

Mel on August 8, 2013 at 6:25 pm
    • I would love to see the snapping turtle episode run in slow motion…that moment when the turtle, indignantly hanging in the air, held by his tail, suddenly craned his neck, turning his head to look Grundy squarely in the face–absolutely priceless. ( My 2nd favorite moment of the show). I suspect there will be some comedy gold in each of the coming episodes. B)

LLColeman on August 9, 2013 at 2:10 am
    • I have been patiently waiting for the episodes for this year's BC to be posted on line so I can enjoy them; I don't have any premium channels on my cable bill. I'm picking up tips of what to look for from my friends here, for when they are posted. If Comcast is listening in, I'd happily trade all of those sports channels you include (that I never watch) for DIY.

DGustaf on August 9, 2013 at 7:08 am
    • Hi Don–I do feel your pain. Our family had a Comcast subscription and I missed all the DIY shows, not to mention several years' worth of BC shows. My husband changed to Direct TV (and now won't go back to another service, luckily) and I got to see the show about the Bethel, NY programs.
      I have to say it especially pains me to know that you do not receive DIY network…I am an an armchair spectator who could not nail two boards together, whereas you would get so much more than I since you have done work in your own house. The shows are put online after way too long of a period. I hope you have been able to see last year's shows in their entirety. Many short videos are available on the sister site HGTV on its Behind the Build section, under "HGTV Remodels" heading : http://www.hgtvremodels.com/ scroll midway down the page to these: http://www.hgtvremodels.com/hgtvremodels-remodeli

LLColeman on August 13, 2013 at 1:42 am
    • Thanks for the tip. I don't do as much of the project work anymore; I'm not as young as I once was and it takes longer to heal from the job site mishaps. I am working on adding some square footage to my shed to include a place for lawn mower or snow blower, dependent on season. The original shed was an 8' x 8' wood storage with a 7' x 8' "porch". The original was constructed with floor and roof meeting the maximum square footage allowed by the city, but only the smaller enclosure for my firewood. Now I am adding on but don't need a new permit as I am only amending the walls within the original footprint.

DGustaf on August 13, 2013 at 7:37 pm