Aug 5

Behind the Scenes: The Sand- and Seashell-Filled Table

Today, project manager Dylan Eastman shares the special experience of designing and sourcing material for that amazing dining room table. As of today, it’s the most pinned of our virtual tour images on Pinterest. You certainly do love it, as do we! See the dining table in our great room virtual tour and see the exclusive how-to project here.

In designing the kitchen table, I wanted to use reclaimed wood to counter some of the more refined elements in the front rooms. I also wanted to add color without relying heavily on place setting and flowers. With the coastal setting of this year’s house, I knew a beach motif (done right) would accent the wood while giving an additional dimension to the table. So I went on the hunt for local sea glass and shells.

Blog Cabin 2013 Seashell Dining Table

On the drive to Harker’s Island, I discovered a place call Captain Blaine’s, a store that sells fresh seafood and local crafts. The owner walks the beach regularly to collect shells and sea glass (which she sorts by color) to sell in the shop. I carefully picked through her inventory of beach treasures, looking for just the right colors and textures. Portions of bottles with imprinted text were saved. Remnants of old decorative glass windows were culled. Then I mixed in pearlescent sea scallops, iridescent witch’s nails and purple wampum to accent the glass.

After making my purchase, we chatted at length about the island and the origin of the glass and shells. Originally home to the Coree native American tribe, Harker’s Island attracted residents through the colonial period. In the late 1800s, hurricanes drove even more residents to the island from the storm-devastated outer banks. Until 1941, the only way on or off the island was by boat or ferry — it was not uncommon for residents to cast household debris (back then, mostly wood-, porcelain- or glass-based) into the sound. I figured that most of the sea glass I selected was between 70 and 100 years old.

During the table build, sand from our beach on the Core Sound was laid out to dry under the cabin cam. LEDs were run around the interior perimeter of the table to give a 21st-century accent. Then show host Chris Grundy and Kitchen Crashers host Alison Victoria carefully completed the beach motif by placing each piece of glass or shell in its perfect location. A signed message in a bottle was even left for the future winner of this home. Finally, a piece of clear glass was set over the motif to complete the top. In the end, this table represents the history of our house, the history of the coast and a modern take on upcycling.

• Posted at 11:14 am on August 8, 2013

1. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! This is going to drive me crazy waiting until the end to find out who the winner will be. I truly hope it is one of our regular bloggers. If it is one of my buddies I would love to come visit once!!! haha Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on August 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm
  2. that is a great story. I love the table and the history that it brings . it also brings more of the wonderful ocean in to this amazing home. great job Dylan Eastman this table is awesome and it also give me some great ideas for around the house ..

lisaar on August 6, 2013 at 7:53 pm
  3. This table really is special…..I'm glad the history of the area was considered in choosing the items. The message in the bottle is a fun idea……should be entertaining trying to guess what it might say. I think I would leave the current arrangement alone and add a small item for each occasion such as a birthday, anniversay etc…….what a wonderful keepsake over the years. I can picture adding something for each new member of the family that is born and something to remember a loved one that has passed. Something whimsical for each season or holiday would be fun too. Just gorgeous and well thought out guys. Kudos to you all!

jazzygirl9 on August 6, 2013 at 8:53 pm
  4. Is there a garage or car port on the property?

janelleintx on August 7, 2013 at 12:56 am

pinevalley on August 7, 2013 at 5:37 am
  5. Good morning!!! Time to make the coffee!!! haha It is suppose to be a nasty rainy day for me today. Nothing worse than DC traffic when it rains. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!! Much Love!! <3<3<3<3<3<33<3<3<3<3<33<3<3<3<3<33<3<3<3<3<33<3<3<3<3<3

Rebecca on August 7, 2013 at 6:40 am
    • Good morning Rebecca, Hope you don't have to go out in the rain today.

vicki_in_Utah on August 7, 2013 at 8:57 am
    • It actually stopped a bit before I left for work thank goodness! How are you this morning? Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on August 8, 2013 at 7:30 am
    • From the 2 times that I have been in DC traffic, I would say it is horrible, normally. I would hate to see it in the rain.
      Stay safe if you have to be out in it today.

P.S. Thanks for the coffee. :)

Eugenia27 on August 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm
    • Hi Eugenia!! Yes normal traffic here is crazy but if they have just a little bit of rain it is a nightmare!!! I only had to drive to and from work which is about an hour one way. How are you this morning? Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on August 8, 2013 at 7:32 am
    • I have my coffee in hand and it is a beautiful day here in Oregon. It is 63* and pleasant, we will reach 85* but it won't be so bad because the day started out nice and cool.

Years ago when we lived out in the middle of nowhere, I had a long commute to work. So how do you use your time on the road? Only half of my commute was in city type of traffic. The more restful part I listened to "Books on Tape" When I got to the freeway all my focus went to driving. I don't know how you do it, 2 hours every day. (I really hate city driving).

Eugenia27 on August 8, 2013 at 1:41 pm
    • yes on the traffic, but i adore dc…..

twoterriers on August 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm
    • Hi twoterriers!! Well I guess it is like they say if you live there you kinda take for granted what you have because you see it everyday therefore it doesn't seem that interesting to you. It is crazy during the summer with all the tourists. They walk right out in front of the cars and make traffic 10 times worse. My building is right by the Cherry Blossoms and I just don't get it. I am like they are just trees people!! haha I know where they come from and they are suppose to be special but I see them and the tourists and the traffic. Not fun for someone who works here. I would love to just retire at a place like the Blog Cabin and never have to take that drive again! haha Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on August 8, 2013 at 7:37 am
    • Hi Rebecca…………..yes i am originally from DC and we had a family home in Arlington………..it is really my home…..to me it is the most beautiful city i the world, and so much to do…..slightly prejudice here……..i agree though a vacation home away from the congestion is best…..i see they are really developing the areas outside of dc to charlottesville which i adore as well as the virgiinia horse country…..wishing you the best…..

twoterriers on August 8, 2013 at 10:25 am
  6. When are us onliners getting to see the Blog cabin crashers how to videos in full, as I don't watch cable anymore. I only watch network TV on a HD antenna (beautiful pic) and over the Internet on HDMI hook up on smart tv apps. I luv your crash shows and the dif. crews. So when is cabin 2013 crashers show on Internet?

Grant Jorgenson on August 7, 2013 at 10:15 am
  7. Oh you Bloggers are for the most part very positive and cool people. I wish we could all go on a cruise together and chat (drinking is optional)

Grant on August 7, 2013 at 10:25 am
    • I think for most of us, imbibing would be a necessity.
      We all drink something . . .
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on August 8, 2013 at 3:26 am
  8. Did everyone note that the headboard in the guest bedroom consists of paddles? Such a cool idea! I don't know if I saw it on DIY or HGTV, but I created a headboard out of a picket fence, and it was gorgeous. I went to Lowe's and purchased a section of a picket fence, and it was not expensive. I saved even more because a section was damaged, but I did not need it to be as wide since I was using it for a twin bed. The wood was not painted so it was easy for me to do my own thing. It would also work if you wanted to create a day bed, make sure you place the fence high enough so you can add a bunch of throw pillows and still see plenty of headboard. Everybody loved it.

charhug on August 7, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    • Great idea about the picket fence. Thanks for the tip.

Eugenia27 on August 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    • If tDIY had of used the fence idea instead of paddles they would have changedf the name from "guest bed room" to "up the creek".:D

540sam on August 9, 2013 at 8:48 am
  9. Omg I'm so glad I saw this. I will definitely try to make a table like this. I'm moving from San Diego, California to Kentucky and I will go to the beach for the last time next week… I'm gonna take some sand and shells so that a little part of Cali is always with me.
    :D

BestHousewifeToBe on August 7, 2013 at 12:34 pm
    • Good luck on the move and have a wonderful time on the beach.

Eugenia27 on August 7, 2013 at 1:41 pm
  10. HuntingQuarters, We haven't had any questions from you lately? Aren't you going to chalenge us some more. It's actually adding to the knowledge and beauty of the area. We're ready!!:D

nanwes on August 7, 2013 at 12:45 pm
    • nanwes thank you for the string….wishing on a star for all bloggers…..and happy wednesday….

twoterriers on August 7, 2013 at 12:51 pm
    • Happy Wednesday to you too!!!! HuntingQuarters has disappeared, trying to get him to keep the local knowledge quesitons going. I'm learning a lot, not only from what he says, but the information I get when doing searches. This makes the home even more 'magical', it's got such a great history behind it.:D

nanwes on August 7, 2013 at 12:54 pm