Aug 5

Behind the Scenes: The Sand- and Seashell-Filled Table

Today, project manager Dylan Eastman shares the special experience of designing and sourcing material for that amazing dining room table. As of today, it’s the most pinned of our virtual tour images on Pinterest. You certainly do love it, as do we! See the dining table in our great room virtual tour and see the exclusive how-to project here.

In designing the kitchen table, I wanted to use reclaimed wood to counter some of the more refined elements in the front rooms. I also wanted to add color without relying heavily on place setting and flowers. With the coastal setting of this year’s house, I knew a beach motif (done right) would accent the wood while giving an additional dimension to the table. So I went on the hunt for local sea glass and shells.

Blog Cabin 2013 Seashell Dining Table

On the drive to Harker’s Island, I discovered a place call Captain Blaine’s, a store that sells fresh seafood and local crafts. The owner walks the beach regularly to collect shells and sea glass (which she sorts by color) to sell in the shop. I carefully picked through her inventory of beach treasures, looking for just the right colors and textures. Portions of bottles with imprinted text were saved. Remnants of old decorative glass windows were culled. Then I mixed in pearlescent sea scallops, iridescent witch’s nails and purple wampum to accent the glass.

After making my purchase, we chatted at length about the island and the origin of the glass and shells. Originally home to the Coree native American tribe, Harker’s Island attracted residents through the colonial period. In the late 1800s, hurricanes drove even more residents to the island from the storm-devastated outer banks. Until 1941, the only way on or off the island was by boat or ferry — it was not uncommon for residents to cast household debris (back then, mostly wood-, porcelain- or glass-based) into the sound. I figured that most of the sea glass I selected was between 70 and 100 years old.

During the table build, sand from our beach on the Core Sound was laid out to dry under the cabin cam. LEDs were run around the interior perimeter of the table to give a 21st-century accent. Then show host Chris Grundy and Kitchen Crashers host Alison Victoria carefully completed the beach motif by placing each piece of glass or shell in its perfect location. A signed message in a bottle was even left for the future winner of this home. Finally, a piece of clear glass was set over the motif to complete the top. In the end, this table represents the history of our house, the history of the coast and a modern take on upcycling.

• Posted at 11:14 am on August 8, 2013

1. I think of "Time in a Bottle" when I saw "message in the bottle"….

Trish on August 6, 2013 at 11:25 am
  2. That beautiful areea remind me of 'Message in a bottle', beautiful, beautiful!!!!! Come to think of it, they weren't too warm to outsiders there either. Maybe I will keep entering after all, so there HQ!:D

nanwes on August 6, 2013 at 11:49 am
  3. How fun to first see (on Kitchen Crashers) and then read about this wonderful beachy sand table. Love the brainstorm ideas that take on practical useful forms for all of us to enjoy:) You all have managed to make this place homey before the one lucky winner even steps into this home with a heart—gosh you have even dressed it up with your playfulness and laugher.

joyfulj9 on August 6, 2013 at 1:01 pm
  4. I loved watching Allison do her magic last night. She has lots of great ideas. Last night's episode was not as hectic and crazy as when Josh was on last week. Isn't it great how old things can be made "new" again ?

Enjoy your week.

Builder on August 6, 2013 at 1:35 pm
    • Josh always makes things hectic and crazy, that's why I like him. LOL..I like Allison too.

vicki_in_Utah on August 6, 2013 at 2:57 pm
    • Builder, I believe in "old things being made new"! Thanks for saying this.

Trish on August 6, 2013 at 3:40 pm
  5. Dear Mary and Dylan, Thank you for the new thread. I love the story and the history behind the table. One of my very favorite things is to walk the beaches looking for seaglass and interesting shells, driftwood, and rocks. Whoever wins this wonderful home will be able to enjoy it and all of the unique pieces if furniture for years to come. Good Luck everyone!:)<3 Becky

bythebaydreamer on August 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm
  6. One thing I've learned doing a little reading. The last Robinson heir to own the property was Evelyn Clyde Harris who died young, 67, her husband Jay Bumpus, who shared the family story with DIY (don't know why the different names) became the owner of the home. He is the one who sold the property to Scripps Networks LLC for $500,000.00 I don't know if there any other Robinson heirs that might want the home, just thought I'd share that. This beautiful home has a strong loving history. :D

nanwes on August 6, 2013 at 3:18 pm
    • this is great thank you for the information..

twoterriers on August 6, 2013 at 7:43 pm
    • I don't know if you've done this but in the very early blogs about this house several of the Robinson clan blogged a lot of information including how the 'Jump' came to be. Go back to late October and scan the blogs. Alicia was very informative at that time.:)

AnniesOwn on August 6, 2013 at 9:34 pm
    • I watched those during the original airing, however when I went back to try to find it, I couldn't find anything about Alicia. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!:)

nanwes on August 7, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • Reading her blogs was great. Now I wonder if her Dad was paid $500,000.00, would she or any of his family be eligible to win the completed renovation house. That'd be like a 'double win', or so it seems to me. Sad too if that's the case as you can feel the love she has for her former home. &lt;span class="idc-smiley"&gt;&lt;span style=""&gt;&lt;span&gt; <span class="idc-smiley"><span style=""><span>:)</span></span></span> &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt; I hope if not that at least her Dad shared his funds from the sale or I guess it's in an inheritance she'll get at a later date. She might rather have the blog cabin than the money though. Great that she shared so much information, I really enjoyed reading it. I knew all along there was a lot of love in this home and she just reiterated that.. I wonder if the blogger posting as HuntingQuarters is perhaps her Dad or family member, he certainly knows the area very well. Don't know what happened, haven't seen any new teaser questions.

nanwes on August 7, 2013 at 11:09 am
    • Nanwes, You're right on, about the Robinsons. Would be kind of neat for the BC to come back to them! On HuntingQuarters, I was enjoying his regional questions and teasing hints. I noted yesterday that his avatar was deleted, so I posted a note asking he not leave us. I also went to the intense debate site to try to decipher what might have happened. I have one hunch–and I may be incorrect, because I know that I certainly did not interpret his posts that way BUT: could anyone have interpreted his posts as discouraging people from being accepted in Atlantic, NC? When you answered with the point to remember the Robinson name, he said, your answer was correct, the house would always be the Robinson house and the fact that you have Robinson blood in you may make you acceptable in town–or something to that extent. Just wondering? HQ was amusing to me, I didn't take his stuff seriously, but could he have stepped on someone's toes? If one re-interprates his statements, I can see that happening and, IF SO, would he have been requested to exit?:oo.0<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 7, 2013 at 11:43 am
    • Several of us are now asking him where he is. He did make it sound as though outsiders wouldn't be welcome, I even questioned that out loud. If that's the case, DIY should have been aware. It'd be awful to win a beautiful home with so much wonderful history and yet be treated like you did something wrong simply by winning it. That's the same way that outsiders are treated in the movie 'Message in a Bottle', Outer Banks area, maybe that's just the way it is<G>

nanwes on August 7, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    • So, what was his answer to who should be first invited to the house?

Ishmael on August 7, 2013 at 3:34 pm
    • Ishmael, Ahoy, matey.
      I may be wrong, but I think Nanwes's answer was the winner – that a member of the original Robinson family should be first. And HQ gave a triumphant ding-ding for that answer.
      An answer which I don't get: If the Robinson family sold the land & decrepit old house for a huge six figure sum (1/2 million $), why in blue bl az es would the community care or want them to be invited back to the renovated BC reveal with the new owner? For a little while I thought it might be kind of cool for one of the original family members to win back BC, but after more thought, not so much. They sold the place, gave up a number of old family treasures and distributed the spoils amongst themselves as the law allowed. That is what normally happens with an old homestead. And since the "old" homestead is technically gone now, what would drive the natives to stigmatize a new homeowner? According to HQ, just their mere presence. That is more than a little dispiriting to me. Above, Nanwes says that it sounds like HQ is making sure we all know that an outsider would not be welcome. I tend to agree, if this is true. Yikes!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on August 8, 2013 at 3:20 am
    • I kind of wish I never played his game now as I don't want anyone to not think it would be a beautiful place to live. I can't believe the neighbors share that view point. Maybe this is even a disgruntled family member who didn't get a piece of the pie, if so, then trying to scare off newcomers. That still doesn't make sense. I just hope that someone from the area would come forward and make sure everyone knows they'd be welcomed. I really think they will be. Let's all think positively about it and keep the dream alive!!:) I will.

nanwes on August 8, 2013 at 8:48 am
    • I think HQ is someone who has a bit of knowledge of the area and was sharing it with us; I am dismayed with the "outsider" mindset that may or may not exist. I've never been too worried about what others think anyway. I guess I would really set them back on their heels because I would be a boat-owning woman, Oh My!
      Maybe HQ is afraid Larry, his brother Darrell, & his other brother Darrell are going to win BC. LOL!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on August 8, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    • Love that Darrell & his other brother Darrell comment, they were funny!xD

nanwes on August 10, 2013 at 9:45 am
    • I think sometimes other people get very jealous, that some OTHER lucky person will be the new winner of this magnificent home, and yard. Jealousy is a very nasty thing nowadays. That is why no one trusts anyone anymore, like it used to be when I was growing up. It is like that no matter where a person goes. There is always that jealousy, just like when someone wins the Powerball. Those other folks tend to think the lucky person should share their new found wealth. When this home went up for sale, it was open for anyone to buy. Now, when it turns into the Blog Cabin 2013, things do not seem so rosy.

Let's hope the new owner, and local community, can be friends with everyone, like I assume will definitely happen. Do you suppose this negativity by some people is just a plot to discourage people from entering the contest? In my opinion, that is the reason.

Let's all be friends, and make this world a better place to live, and enjoy.

Builder on August 8, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    • Builder, I'm with you – I have never understood jealousy or meanness or any of that business. I've no doubt that whoever wins BC will be just fine.
      My cousin just sent me an email funny and one of the little tidbits in it says – "We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box."
      I think that nails it.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on August 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    • I like that too!!! Hey, something keeps 'gnawing at me', if the Robinson family sold this property for $500,000.00 why would they be eligible for winning it in the sweepstakes? Not that I'm trying to get snippy, it just seems like if that's the deal DIY and group can buy our home, remodel it up the 'ying yang', of course at their expense, then let me win it back for only taxes and such. HMMMM

nanwes on August 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    • I don't know, maybe they have to sign something saying the family is ineligible? But that would be the perfect scenario, wouldn't it?

Wind Chime Girl on August 8, 2013 at 8:44 pm
    • I had even read somewhere back in past posts that they were entering, guess it didn't hit me at that point that I wouldn't think they'd be eligible. Not that I am the one to make such decisions.:|

nanwes on August 10, 2013 at 9:47 am
    • I will have to go back and re-read his posts because I never got the feeling that the winner would not be welcome. I live in a small town so I guess I understand small town mentality.
      I know here when someone moves in the town people "wait and see". I do know that if the new comer greets people and introduces them selves they are welcomed with open arms.
      IMHO I think HQ wanted to remind the BC hopefuls to be respectful of the locals.

Eugenia27 on August 8, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    • I can't imagine that he'd be requested to exit, maybe to tone down his 'local attitude' stuff, but doubt anything worse than that.

nanwes on August 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm
    • We have lived within 8 miles from our present home for 43 years and are still considered "outsiders" by a lot of the "local" residents! It's a weird world at times but you do what you have to do.

mimigook on August 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm
    • It can be a weird world many times these days. I kind of miss the good old days when people liked you until and unless you gave you a reason not to, then gave you another chance.

nanwes on August 8, 2013 at 8:50 am
    • Nanwes you and some other bloggers may find this link about the Outer Banks brogue and local words interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csy1e6qTtHw

Mel on August 8, 2013 at 9:29 pm
  7. HuntingQuarters, could your name possibly be Jay Bumpus, maybe a friend or relative of his? HMMM <span class="idc-smiley"><span style=""><span>:)</span></span></span>

nanwes on August 6, 2013 at 3:19 pm
  8. I Love that you can open it and add to it….or even change it up!

lovethelakes on August 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm
    • It looks so good now but it would be nice to add a found treasure that will bring back memories of the time spent, with loved ones, on the beach.

Eugenia27 on August 7, 2013 at 1:35 pm
  9. It getsmore and more exciting every day. The blog cabin special was so enjoyable could not wait till next scene. Everything was beautiful-everything. Can't wait to see or read more. You guys are terrific. I vote everyday. Little hard today, must of had extreme bunch of people registering also. Finally got though. Still want this home so desperately but good luck to everyone.

bogartandbacall on August 6, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    • I'm sure you already know, but if not, you can have a reminder sent every day to you, once you have everthing entered, it'll ask if you want it to remember you. Once you do that, you'll get a reminder and you just click on your name to get everything entered automatically. Good luck, to all of us for that matter! :D

nanwes on August 6, 2013 at 5:38 pm
  10. Have I said "I LOVE THIS HOUSE" lately???? haha Well I do just as everyone else here does. Much Love!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Rebecca on August 6, 2013 at 5:04 pm