Jun 28

Friday’s Special Treat

As we await the launch of the online virtual tour, I thought you’d enjoy this tease, which comes in the form of a cinemagraph created by our visual designer Jason Kisner. I love the acacia pub table and chairs that offer a magnificent view of Core Sound and those festive lanterns, swaying in the breeze as they suspend from the old pecan tree branches. Perfection!

• Posted at 10:21 am on June 6, 2013

1. I love those festive lanterns swaying in the breeze… especially a cool ocean breeze. With the scorching temps here at home lately, almost any breeze would do. Except that when it's this hot, the slightest breeze feels like walking into a convection oven!

Which brings up the thought — well done. The photo collage that is. A taste of coastal North Carolina paradise. Thanks for the hint of gentle breezes, Mary, and pleasant Blog Cabin dreams.

DBCoop on July 1, 2013 at 11:45 am
    • It is funny but there are lines shooting in the picture of the swaying lamps and when I first saw them I thought they were rain drops. I sat and pictured myself in a place with a breeze and a drizzle. It sure helped with dealing with the heat.

I like that picture, A LOT!!

Eugenia27 on July 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm
  2. Since there was over 40 Million entries for the Smart Home I wonder how many there will be for this spectacular Blog Cabin.

Sam on July 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm
    • That's not as long odds as it looks. The contest was open for 40 days (or close to that I think) so that's a million entries per day. Each person can enter twice per day so that gives a total of half a million people attempting to win. Much better odds than the lottery. :D

OK, I've rounded the numbers and been conservative with them but I'm sure you get my point. 40 Million entries is not the whole story and the odds are much better for those who enter at every opportunity. 40 Million to one to one only applies for each individual entry.;)

Sally on July 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm
    • I know I enter every one of the HGTV home sweepstakes, even when they don't have money to help with the taxes I figure I can use the house as collateral, so I will take the odds! Definitely better than the Lottery! :-)

NanWes on July 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    • Good question. I would think less, only because the BC does not come with extra cash to pay the taxes. I'm sure there will be people who enter regardless. I have been following Blog Cabin for years but have only entered one; I would sell everything I own so I could keep the Cabin and pay the taxes.

Sorry bloggers but I will be upping your odds this time around.

Eugenia27 on July 2, 2013 at 6:44 pm
    • Eugenia, I don't blame you. This is one special Blog Cabin.:D<3B)

JudyInMich on July 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm
  3. When will the contest to win begin?

jmn on July 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm
  4. It will be so exciting to see the interior design in the Blog Cabin. It looks like an affordable, comfortable and great place to live for the average income family especially for a second home. I like the three acres and location. Is it right on the core sound or is it on the river side on the way to New Bern?

Lfinicle on July 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    • Average household income is about $48,000. I'm not sure an "average income family" would be able to afford the income tax bill on this house let alone the upkeep costs. How many 'average income families' do you know who own a $3/4 million second home? Only rich people can afford to keep these houses and pay the taxes etc. DIY expects the winners to sell, hence the great curb appeal.

Tom&Alice on July 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • I would have never imaged the two bedroom blog cabin to be worth 3 million dollars. I checked out houses in New Bern to be around 130,00. I did not consider that it is on the water that could increase the value. I know the Smart House in Florida was worth 750,000 plus the 150,000 in prizes. Those taxes would be hard to pay.

Lfinicle on July 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    • Lfincle, I think he replied 3/4 of a million,not 3 million, New Bern is about 60 miles inland from the cabin and there is no ocean front property there, this property sits on a little over 3 acres of oceanfront property and was purchased for $500,000. for the property and house, add to that all of the improvements to the home and dock the furnishings etc. and that will be the value of the taxes that the winner will have to pay. The smart home is roughly the same square footage and sits on a lot in a subdivision inland. I'll take 3 acres oceanfront anytime.:)

540sam on July 1, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • Good Lord! I thought I would never agreed with you 540sam. With the land, the private beach and the privacy the BC offers, you can't put a price on that. As the cc commercial says, priceless!

havanera on July 1, 2013 at 8:58 pm
    • Oceanfront would put it on the east side of the Outer Banks; it is soundfront on inland waters.

Ishmael on July 2, 2013 at 1:21 am
    • Ishmael, I'm quite familiar with the area and the Outer Banks as I go there at least once a year. The east side of the Outer Banks would be in the ocean, however the stip of land(which is only yards wide in places) is not the OBX proper, that ends at Hatteras. It is referred to as barrier now that it is uninhabited, and yes the cabin is on the sound but I have a feeling not for long as there isn't much in the way of reconstruction to re-establish the consistent erosion of the barrier island at this point. A few more storms, maybe just one good one and wala, ocean front. And yes Tom&Alice the property next door sold last year for 1.5mil.

540sam on July 2, 2013 at 5:07 am
    • The cabin is on route 70 just south of Atlantic. About 60 miles from New Bern. Nearby houses range in value from $350,000 to $1,500,000. It's on Core Sound and has beachfront.

Tom&Alice on July 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    • Google Maps are new enough to show the BC almost finished. http://goo.gl/maps/t7ktX

KCDigger on July 2, 2013 at 7:42 pm
    • It shows the $1,500,000 house next door has a houseboat and a speedboat too. However, the outlet to the sound is blocked so they'll need to do some dredging in the channel. ;)

AnniesOwn on July 2, 2013 at 9:01 pm
    • Thank you KCDigger! What a beautiful picture of BC! Oh, wouldn't it be a true dream to be able to keep it?!?!!!

Jtrox on July 2, 2013 at 9:40 pm
    • Thanks for the link.

Eugenia27 on July 3, 2013 at 5:27 pm
  5. Love Love the Carolina's! … I was lucky to have experienced NC for a short amount of time (Kernersville ~ lovely village right in the center of the state, so we got to play all around for the year … an venture in to SC for a little Panther-Bronco football!). I then got called back to the company's "base" after only a year. What a fabulous, albeit short experience though. Looking forward to watching the progress on this gem … and then, of course …winning it!

djpetty7 on July 1, 2013 at 2:05 pm
  6. So exciting! Really looking forward to seeing all the pictures. This will be my third attempt to win an home from you… isn't third time a charm? : )

Anne on July 1, 2013 at 3:30 pm
  7. Who said they would like the rain that I have been getting??? I will gladly send it to you, we are under a flood warning again….UGH so tired of the rain….I know, I could be sorry for not having any but isn't there such a thing as too much of a good thing??? Hope all are doing well!!!

Tisha

Tisha on July 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm
    • Tisha, looks like my reply got lost in the fog, but I was begging for the rain we need now and you don't need now. My response had to do with be careful what you wish for, etc. And – when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers – or words to that effect.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on July 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm
  8. Does any one know how much the previous BC homes have been valued at? I love what we've seen of this house so far but really want to live in Florida where I have some family and I just can't afford two homes.

fanforever on July 1, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    • The 2007 & 2010 cabins were valued at just under $400,000. The 2008, 2011 & 2012 cabins were valued between $700,000 and $750,000. The 2009 cabin wasn't awarded for the prize due to legal issues between DIY and the developer and the winner received $500,000 cash in lieu as per the sweepstakes rules. :)

Sally on July 1, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Thanks for all the info. Sally!

fanforever on July 1, 2013 at 10:08 pm
    • You don't have to sacrifice. Sell the house, so you can buy wherever you want to leave. You can probably buy your family a house next to you.

havanera on July 2, 2013 at 8:29 am
  9. I wasn't able to come back here yesterday because I was checking the wildfire info sites. I was horrified with the news of the loss of 19 elite Prescott, AZ, "hot shot" firefighters and the extreme injury of the 20th member of the team. The Yarnell fire started small but was out of control fast. My heart is heavy for the families of the perished team of heroes. We had our tragedy in West, TX with the loss of good souls, and people are still hurting from that. But this extreme lost of lives is beyond belief. My husband and I retired from public service (not firefighting) and this hits us both hard. Please pray for the families and friends of the lost. For those in harms way of wildfires, please use the weather underground site to track wildfires and also go to http://www.inciweb.org/ for up to date news of wildfires.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on July 1, 2013 at 11:10 pm
    • Thanks for the link. I'm surprise to see that Alaska is on that list, and there are still some active for so long. I'm just praying for the victims, and for Texas; with the drought we don't need the fires.

havanera on July 2, 2013 at 8:27 am
    • havanera, inciweb is a fantastic site and I'm glad you can use it. We are all praying for all the firefighters involved in too many events, all over. Bless you.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on July 2, 2013 at 10:07 pm
    • One of those fire fighters were from my little town of Cedar City Utah. We are very sad.

vicki_in_Utah on July 3, 2013 at 10:37 am
    • Hi Vicki, I hope You and Your family are OK, I know the temps are very high in your area…I was so sadden by the firefighter's tragedy in Arizona…Please take care!! I will pray for rain in all the areas where the droughts are..This calls for rain dances again to get rid of all the wildfires..Take care, we are Praying for all who are effected…<3<3<3
      NOTE: I sent you a reply on June 10th "Revisit the Remodeling Process thread"<3<3

Jennie/Florida on July 3, 2013 at 11:04 am
    • Yeah we haven't had rain since Easter. it has been over 110 deg for the last 4 days. We have been out to our cabin, watering the trees. If the pine trees don't get enough water the bark beetle kills them it always seems un-balanced, the East gets too much rain, and the west not enough. Jennie I got your message on the 10th, I hope you are feeling a little better, I know it takes time. <3

vicki_in_Utah on July 3, 2013 at 4:29 pm
    • The salvation of that Vicki is that small towns rally around the family at times like this.

540sam on July 3, 2013 at 11:19 am
    • You are right 540sam, Joe Thurston was the fire fighter from Cedar. He went to school with one of my kids. And the whole town in rallying around for the family. He had 2 little boys.

vicki_in_Utah on July 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    • Vicki, I'm so sorry for your community's loss.

Wind Chime Girl on July 3, 2013 at 9:13 pm
    • There is ashes falling like snow on us right now. A lightning fire that is close by that was started on Tuesday, it is up to 4,000 acres in the last hour. We are hoping Cedar City isn't evacuated

. http://fox13now.com/2013/07/02/lightning-strike-s

vicki_in_Utah on July 3, 2013 at 11:35 pm
    • Vicki, I just now saw your post. I've been where you are and I know what you are going through. I also know you are in evac mode. I just checked a bunch of sites and even though Black Mountain isn't one of your biggest fires it's still a very dangerous event; you have another one right behind it called the Antelope fire & it is much bigger. If things go well, it will run into the Black Mountain remains and burn itself out, IF! Mother Nature will have to cooperate, of course.
      I'll be checking on your fires like I do for my friends in Colorado, we all watch out for ourselves with fire & weather events.
      Good luck, Vicki, stay in touch, stay safe & God bless.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on July 4, 2013 at 8:03 pm
    • Praying for you, Vicki!!

Tisha

TishaStanley on July 7, 2013 at 8:09 am
  10. I found this poem posted in tribute to the firefighters lost in the Arizona wildfire :

"Give me strength to save some life, whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child before it is too late

Or save an older person from the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout,

And quickly and efficiently to put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me,

To guard my every neighbor and protect his property.

And if, according to my fate, I am to lose my life;

Please bless with your protecting hand

my children and my wife."

This has been so sad to think of them caught in the firestorm. My sister's mother- in-law barely escaped from her home in the Oakland hills firestorm decades ago. A friend of hers, who had become my friend too, refused to leave her home that she had built with her husband, and she perished. I am very aware of the wildfire season out here in the west, and the scary thing is that winds can change and can increase a fire's intensity. I hope we see no more of these wildfires, tornadoes or hurricanes, but I know we may see recurrences.

LLColeman on July 2, 2013 at 3:16 am
    • This says it all. Amen. That is one know to Firefighters and it proudly hangs in my home. My family has a long history of firefighters with my son as well. They are volunteers where I live. Firefighters are dedicated to saving lives and property. We all pray for those that perished. May God rest their souls and be with their loved ones.

Nan on July 2, 2013 at 10:24 am
    • Beautiful words. Thanks for posting the poem, LL.

DeerSpring on July 3, 2013 at 12:57 pm