Jun 28

Friday’s Special Treat

As we await the launch of the online virtual tour, I thought you’d enjoy this tease, which comes in the form of a cinemagraph created by our visual designer Jason Kisner. I love the acacia pub table and chairs that offer a magnificent view of Core Sound and those festive lanterns, swaying in the breeze as they suspend from the old pecan tree branches. Perfection!

• Posted at 10:21 am on June 6, 2013

1. Dear, Dear Every Bloggie, The Blog grinch has struck, folks, and it is obviously unhappy with me for coming back on the blog and posting an update on Gary's cancer surgery and sharing my gratitude. Everyone who so kindly posted encouraging words and welcomed me back has a one-less thumbs-up. One of yours, was in the minus range and, since I still had my vote, I was able to give it a zero, out of negative zone–I would like to have done better, but one vote allowed! So sorry friends! Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words!!! :D xD^_^<3<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 29, 2013 at 1:03 am
    • Kitty, I enjoyed reading your blogs even though I did not participate a whole lot…. I do know that it takes a very special person to be a caregiver….I'm glad for you about Gary's recovery…I am also a cancer survivor…God works in mysterious ways….Hang in there!!!
      Mary, I am so glad to see pictures of this very special place and look forward to the voting part to come…Good Luck to All!!!!xD

Maria on June 29, 2013 at 9:28 pm
    • Thanks, Maria! That's thoughtful of you to say what you have–and I'm so HAPPY you have also survived cancer!!! What a blessing! God is so Faithful and He definitely intervened in our lives–I was totally healed from 3 types of metastasized cancer in January miraculously and this Blog followed the amazing process. We're surely trusting for a positive outcome for our 42 yr old disabled daughter! She's up and down but doesn't recognize the severity of her symptoms, and as she's an adult, our hands are tied, according to law and, unless she asks, we cannot intervene, though she lives with us and cannot work or care for herself. God knows and He will provide… We wait upon His Grace. Thank you for your sweet note and have a happy 4th of July!!!xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    • Hope every thing is going well, my prayers are with you & Gary !!

gremol on July 4, 2013 at 4:27 pm
    • Thank you, Gremol! How are you doing? I have been concerned that your back surgery didn't render the help you expected. What have the doctors done to give you your so deserved relief? You are so dear to send a note and prayers for us and particularly Gary's cancer surgery! Thanks to God–Gary's margins are clear and he is doing great! Your prayers were answered! Thank you so much! Many blessings and continued prayers for you, dear friend! ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Everyone is entitle to their own opinion, and there will always be lovers and haters. I read the original comment and thought to myself; we tend to think that our problems are the worst in the world but that's a tough one, God bless her, I hope her husband gets well soon. Then I read the replies, about 7 at the time, and I said wow at least people on this blog are nicer than one of the other house's blog I've participated; Wrong! I didn't make a comment, didn't know, and people responding seem to have a closer or more intimate relationship with you. The haters should have done the same, read it and moved on to another post, there is no need to hurt anyone. But we, (the lovers) must understand that some people live little pathetic lives, that only get attention feeding off the hate they put out. The problem is them, and the proof is that they got the attention they were seeking. So, next time someone makes a negative remark; ignore them. I bet you that will be painful for them, and at the same time the purpose of your comment remains intact. Now, every chance you get, give the good comments a thumps up, that way it balances off with the thumps down from the haters.

havanera on July 5, 2013 at 10:51 am
    • havanera, I'm sorry to be replying to your post so late, but, I love it. I'm taken aback when I get a thumbs down, but I know it's not from my blogger friends, at least I hope not. I tend to think a negative vote is from someone who has no life, like you said. Some pathetic little nobody looking to dampen one's spirits. I never saw the thumbs down votes and if I had, I would have countered them. I think if you go back to Kitty's first posting about her family issues, you'll notice lots of thumbs up there as well.
      I joined BC blog this spring (my first ever) and I never knew how much fun I would have making new friends, communicating, sharing thoughts and ideas, and strangely enough, sharing intimacies. I have been slow to share personal items here because it's not in my nature, but I find I am slowly opening up with these wonderful people. I hope you come back and spend a lot of time here. I grown extremely fond of everyone here and I think you will, too. These guys took me into their fold, so I know you are welcome.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on July 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm
    • Hi, Havanera! I really liked and appreciated your comment! So true and wise! I've not been able to be on the blog much lately, but have become a part of this warm and family-like group for about 3 years, so many of us have grown close. We've enjoyed many laughs, follow each other's weather, known of new grand babies that lived–and some, that tragically, did not. We have learned of each other along the way, perhaps, due to the fact that we are talking "HOME" and "Decor" things we share in common. Yes, many of us feel like family, therefore, we have gotten more personal. It is true that I have recently been one to share difficulties. I have also shared amazing victories. Being honest with one another has the element of increasing trust. Nowadays, many neighbors have little time or opportunity to get to know one another, as in the past. Perhaps internet does impact that. I perceive us to be quick to open our hearts to new Bloggies. I do hope you see this as a positive blog forum for your own needs and interests.Your statement about being the hands and feet of God strikes a great chord! Bet this blog will agree! I've been given your excellent advice about the thumbs down grinch before. Only when grinch strikes my friends and they are commenting to me and are dinged for their goodness expressed towards me, does it get under my skin–can't help it….:D^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 10, 2013 at 8:27 pm
    • Hi Havanera, so happy to have you join us. This is an amazing group and yes, many of us have become quite close and feel like neighbors. We celebrate all the happy stuff and suffer through the tough times together. We miss and worry when one of us is for some reason away from the blog for long. I used to feel bad about the thumbs down, then awhile back a blogger kindly apologized to someone for accidently hitting the down button when he'd been intending to give a thumbs up. He'd been posting from one of those tiny camera phones and just hit the wrong tiny key. I'll bet that happens often, and sometimes without the person intending to give the thumbs up even realizing it! So never let it worry you, just count all the good stuff!<3;):D<3

SID on July 11, 2013 at 10:24 am
  2. Well Mary aren't you just the biggest tease around. Those new pictures are helping to build the suspense for the virtual tour grand opening. Quick question, since that house is on the open water, will the cupola light have to be regsistered as a navigational aid and maintained 24/7? (:-))}}}

YankeeNuke on June 29, 2013 at 2:15 am
  3. I think that it is well past the time for the addition of sea stories to the blog. The East coast, especially behind the barrier islands is a fairly gently sloping sea floor so I was wondering if that bit of water that runs parallel to the dock might have been worked out by a sea creature setting a trap of sorts for some land animals who might wander close to the ditch. The sea creature could lie in wait for an opportune moment and pop out of the water to catch its unknowing prey. Any thoughts? Any better stories?

YankeeNuke on June 29, 2013 at 2:22 am
    • YankeeNuke, Out of the mud in the trench leading to the pier is a creature so long, lank, and lean. It is often disguising itself as a long along the shore, or a plank left there by the tides. The story goes……

bythebaydreamer on June 29, 2013 at 3:01 pm
    • …it has the unique ability to change color, so it blends in with the sand and seagrasses by the pier. At about 12 feet long, it writhes its body as the tide flows inward, as though keeping rhythm with the shallow water; its round mouth faces the Core Sound, gulping in plankton, tiny fish, and other approaching morsels, which filter through scores of spike-like, wiggling internal proboscises that seem to move their catch further into the inner digestive tract. Except for this strange eating motion, the remainder of this creature would appear to mimic a giant worm–but what would such a manifestation be doing in salt water and what on earth could one do with such a creature? continue…

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 30, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    • Thumbs up to you Kitty! Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on June 30, 2013 at 7:31 pm
  4. I am glad to hear your life is doing better. Family should always come first. The photos are lovely, they are just enough to let your mind wander and dream of what is around them. Thanks for the update. it' keeps me in suspense for the virtual tour. It's a lovely spot for a home and makes me feel as though the homes history is being carried on. Thank you, I will continue to keep your loved ones in my prayers.

Peggy on June 29, 2013 at 3:33 am
  5. Those were some NICE teasing pics, but why does it have to take so long for you guys to post the virtual tour?:-(

Mickey on June 29, 2013 at 7:58 am
  6. With July 4th approaching who's thinking BBQ?
    All of us NC locals know there's a BBQ war that splits our state in two—–NC east vs. NC west
    I love them both…..I was raised on Lexington style (west) which is the pork shoulder with a tomato based sauce, so I do favor that style just a bit more.
    I believe the different folks that worked on the Blog Cabin probably enjoyed some mighty fine BBQ, and the winner might too.
    Some of you bloggers may find this link interesting, some of you it might make hungry. Don't look if you're a vegetarian, this link is all about pork http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJ6_o-csWo

Mel on June 29, 2013 at 9:08 am
    • Up north here we use an open pit and skewer the pig for the pig roast. We use a tangy & sweet b-b-q sauce, which is a family secret.

bythebaydreamer on June 29, 2013 at 3:08 pm
    • Sounds delicious!! I totally understand about the BBQ sauce being a family secret recipe :)

Mel on June 30, 2013 at 12:21 pm
    • Hi Mel, I just Love Pork BBQ from NC Mountains! I like the tomato sauce style best but I don't turn down the East style either…LOVE BBQ sandwiches…I must say I've had my share of BBQ since I have been going to the NC mountains in the Fall for many years starting in the early 80's and made it a tradition to have a BBQ sandwich and cold slaw…Got to have Slaw with my BBQ..That's like having a peanut butter and jelly.sandwich.They just go together….YUMMMY .^_^<3<3<3….OK!!! Now I'm craving BBQ..The best I can do close to me, is go to Sonny's…Not as good but it is Pit BBQ…Have a Good Evening^_^<3 and
      Thank you so much for the schedule for the Designer's Specials…Can't wait to see them:)B)<3

Jennie/Florida on June 29, 2013 at 10:02 pm
    • Jennie they really are both delicious tasting, yet very different BBQ flavors. My husband raised on the Pamlico Sound loves eastern style, and like you I have never turned it down. I know as soon as we get to a certain point driving east he can hardly wait to stop for the BBQ!

Mel on June 30, 2013 at 12:25 pm
    • Hey, Mel, down here we smoke our meat and no sauce goes on the meat while smoking.
      There is smoking and there is grilling. Never do the twain meet. You grill steaks, burgers, wienies, veggies; but you smoke briskets, ribs, whole chickens, meat loaf(!), and so on. (You would love my smoked/stuffed portabellas)
      Every area has their own style of smoking and grilling. And each sauce varies by what's in the cupboard at the time, but it never goes on the meat while smoking.
      Then there is pit roasting. Never done a pig in the ground, but would love to.
      I do love the – wait for it – - – vive la difference!
      BBQ war – anyone?
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on June 29, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    • Wind Chime Girl you sound like a pit master!! I would love your smoked/stuffed portabellas, they sound really yummy :)
      A BBQ war might be easy to start,…with July 4th approaching 'tis the season for thinking BBQ.

I will leave you with a joke I heard Jeff Foxworthy tell one time, "If you place a NC BBQ sandwich on top of your head, your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get to it" I tend to agree with that LOL

Mel on June 30, 2013 at 12:34 pm
    • Not exactly a master, just been doing it a long time. Once I found out you can smoke or grill anything, I was in hog heaven. There is no recipe, really, for the portabellas, smoked or grilled. Brush them with (olive) oil, season with your favorites (I like basal & tarragon) and fill with anything under the sun – shrimp or crab meat, or other veggies. At the end you can sprinkle with shredded parmesan and/or gruyere cheese, or feta or swiss, or whatever you have. My recipes are very fluid, whatever is at hand at the time.
      Love Foxworthy! Well, time to put the burgers on the grill.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on June 30, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    • Thank You Wind Chime Girl, I will be trying your smoked portabellas, they really do sound yummy!
      It's been my experience as an eater that organic, fluid cooks are hands down the best type of cooks to know :)

Mel on June 30, 2013 at 7:14 pm
    • Hah, thanks, Mel! My husband agrees because he never knows what we'll come up with for meals. Love to experiment.

Wind Chime Girl on June 30, 2013 at 11:11 pm
    • Right WCG, I never start mopping until about 20 min till the meat comes off, just for the sheen, the sauce goes on the side for those who want it. Your after my own heart, or stomach.:)

540sam on July 3, 2013 at 5:11 am
    • Mel, I love BBQ smoked baby back ribs. Any way. Anytime. THE VERY BEST, however, to me, are the DRY-RUB ones by the now deceased, but famous Charlie Vergo's Rendesvous Restaurant in Memphis, TN!!! Ooooo! To nearly die forthey are smoked to perfection, not too vinegary–sorry NC, that tends to be my only complaint about lots of NC-style BBQs. Some vinegar goes a long way, but I don't want to lose the pork flavor., therefore, Sweet Baby Rays, even my own private secret home made sauce (which I think is great) or ANYbody else's sauce must be a minimum moisturizer–gimme Vergo's DRY RUB and some outer crispyness & sizzle!!! I actually got ol' Charlie Vergo's recipe years ago and keep it on hand. You can GoogleCharlie Vergo Memphis dry rub download it from where ABC TV network is listed at around spot #3-5 or so–they had his son on back in 2002. I multiply this recipe for my batch which I keep handy at home. :D :pB)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 30, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    • My sauce is a little Eastern and a little Western NC,not too much vinegar and not too much tomato.I didn't hear any complaints,usually had around 100 folks for a picking.

TonyE on July 1, 2013 at 12:52 am
    • Kind of sounds like the base for my sauce Tony and your right, it seems to reach that happy medium that everyone is looking for.

540sam on July 3, 2013 at 4:56 am
    • Thanks for the warning to vegetarians, I will trust you and I will stay away.
      That was very kind of you. Thanks.

Eugenia27 on July 2, 2013 at 6:33 pm
  7. love the tease, keep it coming. It gives bloggers something to look at since The SH winner is still not announced. Is there a winner?

Lfinicle on June 29, 2013 at 9:50 am
  8. Sweet! Thanks for the images!

Lia_M on June 29, 2013 at 2:24 pm
  9. Mary and Jason, What a great surprise to find the new thread. Jason, you have a wonderful craft for capturing the artistic perspective of the blog cabin! Can't wait to see more! I hope you have a great weekend.

bythebaydreamer on June 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm
  10. Oh it looks so inviting. I'm ready to sit right down kick off my shoes and relax. <3;)

MaryPA on June 29, 2013 at 6:05 pm