Jun 10

Revisit the Remodeling Process

Blog Cabin 2013 Time-Lapse Photography

Oh, do I have a treat for you! We curated the best images captured by our Cabin Cam into a series of slideshows. Now you can clearly see the transformation of this historic home from weathered, cedar shingle-clad cottage to inviting Southern-style coastal getaway.

Enjoy the time-lapse pictures and stay tuned for more informative content!

• Posted at 2:53 pm on June 6, 2013

1. Friends we love and miss:
    BrookwoodCarolina, I know you're so very busy and have many things on your mind, but if you have a chance to check in on the blog please know you are missed here, and we continue to send you our love and prayers.<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    DwnSoDwnEaster, if you read this please drop us a note. Dear Kitty we are very concerned about Gary and continue to pray for his recovery.<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    Rebecca, sure do miss your always sunny and loving posts! Can't help getting worried not hearing from you and hope you are just busy with summer activities. To borrow from you "Much Love" Sandy<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

SID on June 22, 2013 at 11:09 am
    • DITTO SID, I miss hearing from those people.

vicki_in_Utah on June 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm
    • Amen, Sandy, I think about Brookwood, Kitty, and Rebecca everyday and hope things are getting better for them. Will keep them in my prayers, and hope to hear from them! <3Boo

Boo on June 22, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    • We haven't heard from Clive lately either.

vicki_in_Utah on June 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm
  2. miss Jennie/Florida I am very sorry for the loss of your baby. Some people do not understand how we can Get so attached and treat them like family and when they go to heaven to be with St. Francis we miss them so. My Lady who would have been 15 in 4 months how I missed her. It seemed like everything I did reminded me of her. After 13 mos. I still missed her and I got me a rescued dog who rescued me. She-saDee has helped me so much. I still miss Lady but SaDee helps me. I pray and hope you find another baby-lest when you are looking it seems. And in time the heart will not be as broken. you are in my prayers

bogartandbacall on June 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm
  3. To All my Dear Blogging Friends,
    Thank you so much for all your kind, thoughtful and understanding comments<3<3<3…All of you have warmed my heart with Your kindness <3<3^_^…I know I have to pick up the pieces and carry on with daily living but I can't right now…I walk from room to room expecting Whiskers to be in one of her beds or on her screened porch watching the in/outdoor Kitty "Snowflake" next door grooming after her breakfast…Whiskers loved to watch the Birds and Squirrels eating their breakfast from the feeders that's outside the screened porch..I wake up all during the night thinking I felt her jump on the bed…:(:(<3
    Today is my Birthday but I don't feel like celebrating…My Daughter's and their families are taking me out to Brunch and will be spending the day…My grandchildren are a Joy to be with but they are all sadden that We have lost Our Sweet Whiskers..:(:(<3<3 Very Sad Time…..<3<3<3<3 To All

Jennie/Florida on June 23, 2013 at 11:06 am
    • Hang in there Sweetie. I"m glad your family is around right now to share your birthday and keep you company today, it's a good time to embrace all the love around you.<3<3<3<3<3

SID on June 23, 2013 at 11:22 am
    • PS I buried my Whiskers in the Rose Garden next to the screened porch. She always sat on her little table on the porch and watch me work in the Garden!!! <3<3

I have to share this with You…Whisker's Dr.'s sent this Card to me…In Gold Letters

"Many people will walk in & out of your life, but only True Friends leave footprints in your heart"
      From Whisker's Doctors & Staff…They Put Whisker's Paw print in gold at the bottom of the Card with her Name and Date…So Sweet and thoughtful… I have it in a gold frame sitting in a special place to look at and feel the closeness of my dear Whiskers.^_^<3

Jennie/Florida on June 23, 2013 at 11:40 am
    • Oh my that brings tears to my eyes. What a loving Doctor and Staff. My Snoball has been gone for 5 years and I still miss her, so my kids got me a little Siamese kitten, so we will see how it works out. Hope you have a nice birthday, I know it will be hard for a while.

vicki_in_Utah on June 23, 2013 at 1:03 pm
    • Thank you Dear Vicki, my Birthday was put on hold for a few days because I couldn't bring myself to celebrate when I just lost my Whiskers…The Dr's and staff were so great to me and they were so concerned about me, I really appreciate their thoughtfulness…My Blogging family has been a great help and I'm so blessed we have this connection with blogging friends to help one another in need…I'm so greatful for all of You!!
      My Daughters continue to call me to make sure I'm OK..They are both big Cat lovers too, so we all had our sessions of crying and remembering how smart and Sweet my Whiskers was…I try to fill my days with chores– cleaning, yard work. I took all the clothes out of one closet and washed to refresh & ironed all of them in one day..That was a lot of clothes but didn't realize I had ironed so many..Just trying to keep myself really busy….
      My Daughters and families did come over on my Birthday and brought me flowers and wanted to take me to brunch but I just couldn't go..so they stayed for a while and we all talked about what we liked most about Whiskers..My grandchildren took turns on the floor and had so many nice things to say about her..They were walking around looking for her…..Sad day all around!!..
      I know it will take time for me to get use to her being gone but right now, I still look for her in her beds scattered in the bedrooms or I get up in the morning to fix her breakfast or check on her out on the screen porch…She was my little girl and she stole my heart and now I'm lost without her..They say time heals all wounds but how do you mend a broken heart?? I had her for almost 14 years, that's a long time to bond and We certainly did that..<3
      Vicki I hope You and your new little Siamese kitten become great friends..They have high energy and a great personality.. Keep us updated on the bonding process…Is it a girl or boy and what name did you give the kitty??? Have fun!!^_^<3<3

Jennie/Florida on June 30, 2013 at 12:16 am
    • That quote is so true, what a kind Dr. and staff! People that love animals understand what you are going through. Our dear Maine Coon cat Danny is also buried beside the roses in our garden. We still go down and tell him we miss him. Just as you with Whiskers, Danny Boy has a permanent place in our hearts.<3<3

SID on June 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    • Happy birthday, Jennie. You have a wonderful Doctor, and that was very thoughtful!! Thinking of you!!

Tisha

TishaStanley on June 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    • Thank you Tisha, you are very sweet..Yes the Dr. and staff were wonderful to Whiskers and me
      and I was touched as to how they treated me with so much kindness and concern..<3

Jennie/Florida on June 30, 2013 at 12:35 am
    • Happy Birthday Jennie! <3Boo

Boo on June 23, 2013 at 3:46 pm
    • Thank you Boo!!! <3

Jennie/Florida on June 30, 2013 at 12:27 am
    • Jennie, I hope in time the sting of the loss of your dear Whiskers will hurt less. I know the feeling of loss many times over, and sometimes its hard to think anything else. It will get better though, even if it feels like it won't. Please be kind to yourself during this difficult time. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Becky

bythebaydreamer on June 25, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    • Thank you Becky for your kind words and sweet thoughts, I know you are right and I'm trying very hard to get through this very difficult time..I'm taking one day at a time and filling my days with lots of house chores and yard work.The only thing that helps is, I know Whiskers isn't in anymore pain..It hurt me so much to see her in pain and hear her cry..That really broke my heart…I was her mommy and she depended on me and I couldn't help her..That's what hurts so bad…I tried my best to help her but the Dr. said she was in pain that I couldn't ease and the blood clot was preventing her from using her back legs and her body was shutting down..I'm so sad but I did what was best for my Whiskers…I loved her so much! <3<3

Jennie/Florida on June 30, 2013 at 1:20 am
  4. This years BC took us "Down East" to a mighty appealing slice of NC's coast stretching from Beaufort (pronounced BOW-fert in NC) to Cedar Island. Down Easters come from a hearty stock, knowing how to maintain a culture & community tied to the Ocean, and the surrounding marshes and farmland.

The blog has discussed all types of scenic and historic places to visit with the BC being the starting point. I can confidently tell the blog summer is a BUSY time for tourism at the NC coast! With the reveal of the virtual tour and BC shows this blog is going to get really crowded! So why things are slow let's visit the town of Wilmington, about 3 hours south of the BC. Some of the bloggers love gardening, and some of the bloggers that visit this blog are struggling with difficult times. This is a peaceful place dating back to 1886, a place of Live Oaks, azaleas, camellias, artistry and wildlife, let's head to Airlie Gardens and enjoy a bit of relaxation only a garden can bring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdfWcOhX6-I

Mel on June 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
    • Mel, I was in Wlmington for Memorial Day—my baby brother lives there!! I had an awesome time and didn't want to come home….

Tisha

TishaStanley on June 23, 2013 at 6:50 pm
    • It's a small world Tisha, my baby brother use to lived there! He's an electrical lineman and worked on a power job there, putting overhead power underground.
      Wilmington is a great city, and it's many beaches are really nice. I can understand you not wanting to leave :)

Mel on June 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    • It is a small world!! My brother paints the lines and puts in the reflectors on highways…actually he's a boss now, but that's what he does…my facebook page shows pictures of North Beach—I guess that's not the actual name of the beach–had a lot of fun!!

TishaStanley on June 23, 2013 at 10:45 pm
    • Very nice video!!

TishaStanley on June 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm
    • I'm always up for a garden tour, thanks Mel!:DB)<3

SID on June 24, 2013 at 11:20 am
  5. Yesterday my granddaughter turned 5, today she had a party at Chuck E. Cheese….that was a great time!! That's all the new stuff I have for now…Thinking of all, today and every day!!

Tisha

TishaStanley on June 23, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  6. Much Love to You all for helping me get through this difficult day with your kind words..You made it a Special Birthday Day for me and I am truly blessed to have compassionate Blogging Friends…Thank You<3<3<3<3

Jennie/Florida on June 23, 2013 at 9:26 pm
    • <3<3<3<3<3<3 May your day today be a better day, and tomorrow even better.

SID on June 24, 2013 at 11:27 am
  7. Wow I just went through all of the pics once again! I am so amazed at what a wonderful job these guys did. This is such a beautiful home and seems so peaceful. Congratulations fo a job well done for all involved. I absolutely love it! Much Love!!<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Rebecca on June 24, 2013 at 10:11 am
    • Welcome back Rebecca! Yo'all been missed here! So glad to have you back. <3<3<3<3<3 Sure wish we could get more peeks of the inside of our sweet cabin. MARY, won't you please show us some love? ;) :*<3

SID on June 24, 2013 at 11:17 am
    • Nice to hear from you Rebecca. I went and watched videos of past BC, the one that This Old House guys came and helped Ahmand, The 2nd BC It sure was nice to see how they did things back then. DIY has done some awesome work on all these BC's. Can't wait to see what is next.

vicki_in_Utah on June 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    • Rebecca, good to "see" your voice, everyone's been worried about you. Don't stay away so long!!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on June 24, 2013 at 8:46 pm
    • Hi Rebecca, I missed you. How are you? Sending positive thoughts! XOXO. Becky

bythebaydreamer on June 25, 2013 at 2:42 pm
    • Hi Rebecca so glad to see your post..We have missed You and was worried about you…I Hope everything
      is good with you and Your health has improved…Get ready for big things to start happening in July!!^_^
      Can't wait for the Specials so we can finally see the inside of Our little Cottage and the BIG one Hour walk through!! It won't be long now before we find out who the lucky Winner will be…Take care!!!<3

Jennie/Florida on June 25, 2013 at 6:37 pm
  8. Thanks Mary and all you hard workers for the slide show it was great, but can't we have a peek of some pictures of some of the things they done inside while we wait. Maybe a few shots of some of the old furniture they put back into the home, or old pictures they used again in there or even the old fireplace mantle put back into use someplace?
    Any new pictures of the inside would be great or even the part of the house we couldn't see with the cam. Please share something new with us here for there only a few more weeks before the great day of reveal and we blogger need something new to keep us going here…
    please and thank-you

home_girl on June 24, 2013 at 10:40 am
  9. Alicia or any other family member that once lived in this home, if your still out here reading the blog could you tell us what your thoughts are about the home; we would love to hear what you like and don't like about the remaking of your home on what you seen so far.
    What do you think of the improvements of the ground, pier and the cabin it self, anything would be nice if you care to share with us.
    thanks Rhonda

home_girl on June 24, 2013 at 10:51 am
    • It would be fun if DIY took Alicia's family on a tour and showed us their reaction.

vicki_in_Utah on June 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    • yes that would be great too, just seeing the reaction on their faces when they see the place would be priceless.

home_girl on June 24, 2013 at 7:11 pm
  10. My Blogging Friends, It's been a week since my Whiskers went to Heaven..I tried to get on the Blog yesterday, the 24th but had unexpected Company all day!!
    I want to share with you my last Sunday evening with Whiskers before she went to Heaven on the 17th, but couldn't bare talking about it until now..
    Her sickness happened all of a sudden..She started throwing up and it wasn't fur balls so I knew something was wrong with her and took her to the Dr. I started feeding her baby food from a syringe because she wasn't eating her food and I was giving her antibiotics the Dr. gave her, she was drinking water but I could tell she was not doing well..I was afraid her kidneys were shutting down. The Dr. also gave her pills for appetite but they didn't work. This all happened within a week.and of course on a weekend..She lost control of her legs Sunday afternoon and it took forever to get the Dr. on the phone, of course on a Sunday…
    My Last Sunday evening with Her was on the 16th when she lost control of her little back legs. I called the Dr. and She told me to close off the bedrooms so Whiskers wouldn't try to get on the beds and try to keep her calm..She wanted to see her first thing Monday morning..
    So I made her a pallet on the living room floor and made me one beside her's…..Before I could get her pallet down, she was already crawling on it….She loved Fresh beds!!!
    We were laying there in soft light and I was petting her and telling her what a good kitty she was and how much I Loved her..I was telling her how smart she was and talked about the birds and squirrels and the kitty Snowflake next door…She was listening to everything I was saying, by then I was crying and said to her Please don't leave me because she was my baby and I can't bare to be without her…She turned over and looked at me and put her little Paw on my face and just looked at me…My heart was filled with her love because I knew she understood every word I said and she was telling me she loved me too..She fell off to sleep for a while but I could tell she was in pain because she would keep waking up during the night with a little cry. That broke my heart..I didn't sleep all night, I just continued to pet her and talked softly to soothe her.and keep her calm….When morning came I got her to the hospital and we were there for 3 or 4 hrs…The Dr. took ex-rays that showed a blood clot on her spine that prevented her from having use of her legs. The Dr. said she could go in and try to dissolve the clot but couldn't promise the feeling in the legs would come back and told me she had lost more weight and tit didn't look good for her and thought it would be best for my kitty to be put down…I spent time with her and agonized and cried for hours and hours until I finally gave in and did what was best for My sweet little Whiskers…
    I never want to go through that again…It broke my heart to see her like that and couldn't help her!
    I know there are so many kitty's who needs a home but My heart can't go through another heartbreak like that…:(:(

Jennie/Florida on June 25, 2013 at 3:21 am
    • That's so touching Jennie, I had the same thing happen to my dog of 18yrs about 9 yrs years ago. Of course I have another now, but still think of the other one daily. They truly do leave footprints in your heart.

540sam on June 25, 2013 at 6:01 am
    • Dear Jennie, my heart goes out to you. My loss was similar. I think of her and can smile rmembering my doggie
      and the happiness we gave to other. May you find peace in memories. may God bless you
      best to all

Nan on June 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm
    • Jennie, thank you for sharing. I am now crying but it's fine. My beautiful Torikitty didn't show any signs of illness, she just walked into my bedroom, layed under my bed and passed away. She gave no warning, and I can only think she went peacefully.

Tisha

TishaStanley on June 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm
    • Thank you Sam, Nan and TrishS, I know it's hard for anyone to lose their pets and those pets live on in our hearts. Way back when my girls were very young, I got our kitty "Gloria Vanderbilt", she grew up with my girls. She was a beautiful black persian kitten at 6wks old and she lived to be 22yrs old. I had to have her put to sleep too because she lost her nervous system and was too sick to save..It was a sudden thing too…
      It took me a long time to except another kitty. I finally gave in and got Whiskers in 2000 at the SPCA ..I will always remember all the good times we had with my Gloria and Whiskers, but will only adore pets from a distance for now!! <3

Jennie/Florida on June 27, 2013 at 1:25 pm
    • Sorry, Type-o Tisha <3

Jennie/Florida on June 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    • Dearest Jennie, This message is going to be about LOVE> I am crying RIGHT NOW, as the loss of your darling Whiskers so suddenly, has just broken my heart for you !!! How difficult for you to experience your wonderful fur-child's love message right up to the end! I am so sorry I haven't been available to you and others on the blog for all this time–coming in like this today and finding you grief-stricken with losing Whiskers after i have known about and followed Whiskers for about 3 years is like losing part of our Family! You must be devastated, Jennie! You know, I think that, when Whiskers reached up tenderly and put her paw on your cheek, she was telling you "It's alright to let me go now–we'll always be linked together. I must go, I love and thank you for our wonderful time together…someday, we'll be together again, so don't be afraid… Just remember my purrrrrrrrrrr……"

I went through a sudden illness scenario like that with my adopted Russian Blue, Mishka. Also, a sudden illness and loss of back leg function of my adopted Ragdoll and Zuri's Mother, Linda (pronounced the Spanish/Portuguese way, meaning beautiful). Jennie, There's no need to say how devastating the emotions are to say goodby to a dear, loyal and loving fur-child. With Mishka, like you, I strongly thought, no, I shall not seek another one, knowing no kitty can be replaced. It was 3 years and Gary and I took in my Uncle Roger, Mom's younger Brother. I found homes for his puppy and 3 other kitties, sold his house, packed him and what was left and flew him and Linda and Zuri, both petrified and NOT human-acclimated to Virginia from East Aurora, NY. The so-called caregivers of my just deceased aunt and Uncle Roger had stolen all household valuables, cleaned their bank account, my aunt's considerable doll collection and abused Linda and Zuri. It took the 2 kitties a long time to accept Gary and me, but we kept them in close quarters in our bedroom. Slowly, they moved out of their travel crates and allowed us to touch them. My Uncle had Alzheimers, so he lived in sort of oblivion, but needed safety and love, laughter and hope–all of which we gave, till he died in 2008. We inherited his kitties, but experienced the love and loss of Linda. Zuri now believes that she is head of the herd here and totally rules the roost (bed) and, like your dearest Whiskers, has the same attitude, such as you've described. Zuri feels safe now–and loved. But my point, dearest Jennie, is, if the right situation comes and God SENDS you one to rescue such as we were surprised with, when we took my uncle in, know that it is your heart which that kitty needs–and none other. When the time is right you will know–and you won't regret it. We had Linda only 2.5 years, but her fears were allayed, her health and weight restored for a time. She was "MY" girl and alarm clock daily. Zuri likes to sleep as much as I do so I have no clock anymore… I miss Linda for that. But the fact that Linda died knowing love, security and no longer abuse was a gift to her. You, Jennie, have a gift of giving within yourself. WHEN you are ready, even if for a season, keep on giving: That is when the healing begins….<3 <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • Dear Kitty, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Linda and Mishka, I know how you must have felt…Thank You so much for your Comforting and Sweet words..I know how much you love Zuri and how you let Her rule the "roost"…I did the same with Whiskers. I miss her so much…She was my alarm clock too..Now I wake up in the morning and start to jump off the bed to fix her breakfast and realize my baby is no longer with me..That really hurts, I feel so empty inside..I look for her when I walk in a room or look out on the porch. I feel her jump on the bed at night and have to look to make sure I was just dreaming….She had a loving way of waking me up in the morning..She would jump on the bed and would knead and paw my back til I turned over and said "Good Morning my little girl"..So Sweet she was….
      The kitty next door "Snowflake" sits in their driveway and looks for Whiskers who is normally sitting on her little table on the screened porch and they would talked to one another and kept one another company during the day..Snowflake is a beautiful white Persian and is an indoor/outdoor kitty..but stays in her yard…Everyday I see her sitting on the driveway looking for Whiskers and I tell her Whiskers has gone to Heaven and I'm sorry Whiskers has left her…Then she will go and lay down as if she knew what I said…Strange….
      I'm So glad Gary's surgery went well and wish him a Speedy Recovery<3 I just hope you can sit back and relax a little now and take some time for Yourself..I hope You and Gary will be able to take your yearly trip back to Maine!!^_^B)<3 I'm so envious^_^<3:)

Jennie/Florida on June 28, 2013 at 7:51 pm
    • Dear Jennie, Thanks for your kind, unselfish words! I keep thinking of your loss…I shared what I did, not to be about myself, but to let you know that I understand how you must feel right now and it stinks! Grief with the loss of a beloved, intelligent and loving fur-ball such as Whiskers is so difficult to quell, no matter what one says and it will take time. My heart goes out to you! I think you are right about Snowflake. God gave His animals such intelligence and a sixth sense. it's amazing! About our vacation, as of now, Gary's and my annual trip to Maine is uncertain–unless our daughter's health stabilizes. At present, we cannot leave her alone, for she's unable to care for herself safely, though she's 42. There are spurts of better or worse competency. Now, it's very child-like and uncertain., but she refuses her medicine. So we do what we can…. Thank you so much for your sweet good wishes! I'd slip you in my pocket and take you with me, since the cottage has sofabeds…LOL! Please know that you are cared for and very much loved by me–I'm lifting you in prayer for comfort and restoration as you adjust. I also believe in a Heavenly Reunion for animals and their Human Families. I mean, I've read of animals such as horses in End times–so why not our Kitties and Dogs and Birdies? God gifts them to us….Such a gift, also, are our memories. Much love and memories of happy days with Whiskers to you, Friend!^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 28, 2013 at 9:41 pm