Jun 10

Revisit the Remodeling Process

Blog Cabin 2013 Time-Lapse Photography

Oh, do I have a treat for you! We curated the best images captured by our Cabin Cam into a series of slideshows. Now you can clearly see the transformation of this historic home from weathered, cedar shingle-clad cottage to inviting Southern-style coastal getaway.

Enjoy the time-lapse pictures and stay tuned for more informative content!

• Posted at 2:53 pm on June 6, 2013

1. Getting anxious to see the Videos of the tour and everything about the cabin as we go inside and around the property. Thinking how nice it will be to relax and watch the river flow by. Thanks to all who made this cabin become to a wonderful home for a fortunate person. Thank you Mary for once again giving us lots to enjoy fromHGTV. best to all ;) <3

Nan on June 16, 2013 at 8:24 pm
    • I just came back to the blog hoping the tour had started or something new was happening and I saw your post Nan, I haven't checked-in for a while and may have missed something. What do you mean by watching the river flow by? The cabin is on Core sound which is not a river and there's no river that I'm aware of nearby. :)

AnniesOwn on June 16, 2013 at 10:35 pm
    • Sorry, just used the wrong term. Should have said the water. Only thinking of, or dreaming of winning. The Videos of the tour start on July 16, as listed under coming attractions. Nothing has changed. Again, sorry . you did not miss anything. Nan

Nan on June 17, 2013 at 2:22 pm
  2. Amazing transformation still love what it started as too, it has so much Character the cabin.

mkro19 on June 18, 2013 at 1:57 am
  3. Hello everybody, I'm just checking in….all is well here

Tisha

Tisha on June 18, 2013 at 7:51 am
    • Tisha where is everyone maybe cleaning their homes incase HGTV comes by?

Lettucefields on June 18, 2013 at 2:17 pm
  4. I did not see my blog but I have blogged several times. Forbidden was one word which I do not know what Ithat meant but I did not care to see that word again.. Another time it said I wrote too much so I cut it down. Then computer would not submit it so I will try again. You guys and home have been on my mind though. I love the home and can't wait till 16th of July-won't come to soon. Trying to keep up with blog and all extras we are getting. Everyone stay safe and happy. Now question-will this go though? We'll see.xD

bogartand bacall on June 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm
    • Hi B&B! I've missed your posts, so glad you are back! I was sent to the principals office myself recently, not sure why? Perhaps they are having some problems with the site.:S There's not much new about our BC recently. Perhaps that and the loss of the live cam are why many of our regulars haven't posted in a while. I wonder where dear Rebecca is? It's not like her to not post here regularly, so I hope everything is O.K. I just keep on checking back in… I also hope to hear good news of Gary's condition from Kitty, and also have been very much thinking of BrookwoodCarolina who is going through such a terribly difficult time. I miss them all very much, it's just not the same without those dear blogger buddies.<3<3<3<3

SID on June 18, 2013 at 2:50 pm
    • Hey, SID, stopped by for a quick peek at any news, I've been wondering about Rebecca and the others, too. I hope no news isn't bad news.
      Did you see below where Jenny posted info on HGTV remodels about our BC? Going there now.
      Hey to all, miss everyone.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on June 21, 2013 at 9:04 pm
  5. This is such a wonderful home and location. NO HOA!!!!! At least I hope not. Adore the NC coast. Looking forward to see how some of the family treasures have been brought back to life. Thrilled to hear that personal family items were returned. This is a place with universal appeal, great location, and no gated exclusive hoa malarkey. You can simply be yourself. Ahhhhhhhh! Kick back, throw back a beer, and put out your fishing line.

Ashtabulannie on June 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm
    • That is one of the many reasons I love Blog Cabin. The homes are real HOMES in real places.
      I love the picture you painted in my mind, I picture a half dozen chickens scratching in the yard. (I promise, no roosters). (sigh)

Eugenia27 on June 19, 2013 at 7:27 pm
    • Totally agree Eugenia!!!! They do try to have something for everyone. But gotta have a way to keep those sponsors happy. But there's lots to be learned from rehabs! As for the poultry… There is a big back yard hens movement here in Arlington, Virginia. Even though we are very urbanized here inside the beltway people are trying to implement sustainable food and agriculture-locally grown produce etc. The Back end of the bird is not a problem- Fresh eggs are very nice but …….. the ahem. Front end- ring the neck so to speak ."chicken preparation"…. is problematic. The sanitation issues, etc, too many lawyers here in DC….then they also brought of the issue of chicken fights and betting. No roosters.Been in discussion for well over a year now.
      It is really cheaper to simply go to the grocery store.

Ashtabulannie on June 20, 2013 at 9:18 am
    • You are so right about the expenses, eg. fancy chicken house, fencing to protect from predators, it's not chicken feed! LOL. My parents kept some laying hens when I was a child, and I have very fond memories of chasing grumpy "Old Henny" and her clucking brood around daddy's vegetable garden rows. Not only were the hens free all day long and only penned up overnight, mother supplemented their mash with gourmet table scraps. Fortunately my soft hearted hubby never complains when I insist on coughing up the extra cash for free range eggs when we go to the grocery. ^_^:D

SID on June 20, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    • Yep and we also have predators and not just domestic dogs but "coyotes" here inside the beltway near Washington DC. We got photos!

Ashtabulannie on June 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    • Unfortunately we all know about the "coyotes" inside the beltway but usually they leave the chickens alone in favor of a good steak dinner sponsored by a lobbyist.

Ishmael on June 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm
    • Ishmael, I hear YA! Lobbyists gone wild here in the DC area. You can eat and drink your way up and down N. Capitol St and Pennsylvania Ave. for sure.

Ashtabulannie on June 21, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    • LOL! Good one. Ishmael I don't know why anyone would take offense to your humor (unless a lurking coyote or lobbyist?). I tried my best to fix the thumbs down, but all I could do is get you back to zero. Have a great day and thanks for the giggle!xDB)

SID on June 21, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    • Its back to thumbs up now.:)

540sam on June 21, 2013 at 8:25 pm
    • X's 2!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on June 21, 2013 at 8:54 pm
    • Gosh I was gone for a time and didn't even see the down digit! I guess some coyotes were offended??? WOOOF! Love your sense of humor Ishmael. Hey in Washington you develop a thick skin. Get over it! Seems like Everyone is either a lawyer or a lobbyist. Hey all our kids play soccer together and life goes on. It's simply entertaining shop talk. Gave you an "up digit"! You rock! So TRUE! FYI almost every afternoon all the young capitol hill staffers can easily walk into just about any conference room on the hill and locate some free food and drink set up by some lobby group. Just so's ya know!

Ashtabulannie on June 22, 2013 at 1:50 pm
  6. Dang I don't get DIY on my cable package. Will I be able to see most it on line here sometime in the future????

Ashtabulannie on June 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm
    • Do you get HGTV? You are welcome to come and watch it at my house, but if you could afford to fly out here to watch DIY you probably could afford to upgrade your cable package.

I would go nuts without HGTV and DIY.

Eugenia27 on June 19, 2013 at 7:20 pm
    • Love to come out west for a visit Eugenia. Many thanks. The weather here in DC has been very nice. Right now we have lots of out of town family visiting. So we are doing the Smithsonian, monuments thang. The scaffolding is up on the Washington Monument and no visitors allowed. :-( (. Earthquake repairs from last year sad to say. Unfortunately, not much time to watch any TV these past weeks (or blog) .I even forgot about the smart home giveaway….. I don't know who I'll find asleep on the sofa when I come down in the morning. It's like a bed and breakfast atmosphere here. I need a vacation!

Ashtabulannie on June 20, 2013 at 9:06 am
    • When you live in an area where people want to visit plan on getting visitors. We are the stop off place for friends and family on their way to the Oregon Coast. With the Coast calling their name they don't stay long. I can see where you would have a lot of people staying for a lot longer.
      When I was there I only had hours to spend so I had to be selective on what I saw. I would need to stay for weeks to do the Smithsonian and the monuments justice.

Eugenia27 on June 20, 2013 at 2:19 pm
  7. Ashtabulannie, I'm thinking the same thing. Trying to figure out which person to visit who has the DIY channel. I sure have missed it! Even on vacation, I took advantage of hotel & lodge tvs to see my DIY and HGTV shows. sigh

Trish on June 19, 2013 at 11:42 am
    • I can picture the call to the travel agency — Too Funny. =)

Eugenia27 on June 20, 2013 at 2:21 pm
  8. Looking forward to the big reveal:) Love the location of the Blob Cabin.

joyfulj9 on June 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm
  9. Boy, this blog has gotten very quiet the past week or so. I really miss the cabin cam, particulary the weather feature it had, that would have been very interesting when Andrea passed through. About 3 weeks before we get to see more of the cabin.xD I don't get DIY in my cable package either, so what I see here is what I get.

Windsmurf on June 19, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    • I was hoping they would give us a new thread. I miss the Cabin cam too. Dish changed our package, and I now longer get DIY but get HGTV, I would of rather it was the other way around.

vicki_in_Utah on June 19, 2013 at 6:18 pm
    • I have Dish also but I still have DIY. I think I'd have to start a writing campaign to get my DIY back again if they took it away. You should call them (Dish) on a daily basis and ask when you'll get it back. If enough people complain they will reevaluate.

Eugenia27 on June 19, 2013 at 7:32 pm
    • I also have Dish, and I get DIY and HGTV…

Tisha on June 20, 2013 at 10:27 am
    • As I have shared before….I once had the opportunity in a waiting room talking about both, DIY & HGTV, with other patients waiting. lol Now, I get to listen to what they have been seeing on the programs.

I am thankful to PBS & LWN to get some of the home improvement, crafting-Décor, and cooking shows. : ) Plus, there's always reading magazines! And libraries have quite a selection.

Stilllllllllllllllllllllllll………sigh

Trish on June 20, 2013 at 10:39 am
  10. I am curious if the house has only 2 designated bedrooms to keep the septic system in specification for this area so close to the coast? Is there a requirement for only part time use or can it be a full time residence?

YankeeNuke on June 19, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    • If you look at the Q&A thread, this question is answered. They only made it 2 bedrooms because of the square footage, nothing to do with the septic system.

vicki_in_Utah on June 19, 2013 at 6:16 pm
    • See 540sam's reply. Thanks for replying.

YankeeNuke on June 20, 2013 at 11:26 pm
    • ViU, you're completely correct, it was space, not the septic system that was the deciding factor in 2 bedrooms.

Q. What was the deciding factor in only creating two bedrooms?

Dylan's answer. Space. The original bedrooms were very small and renovations over the past 150 years created confined spaces that reflected a previous lifestyle. We generated approximately 12 floors plans before settling on the current one. We did expand under the porch line on two sides and added square footage to the master bathroom by removing the south kitchen. A bedroom was added over the formally single-story master bedroom and twin Murphy beds were installed in the family room.

The new septic system can handle more capacity and more bedrooms is needed and planning permission is obtained. :)

Sally on June 21, 2013 at 10:21 am
    • Thank you Sally, Dylan does not say anything about the septic system. I have lived at sea level and had a septic system and they did not restrict the bedrooms. The amount of bedrooms does not limit the amount of people using the bathrooms. imo

vicki_in_Utah on June 21, 2013 at 12:43 pm
    • Strange as it may seem the number of bedrooms is used to calculate the size of the septic system needed. Thus, it can also work in reverse and the size of the septic system can limit the number of bedrooms a house can have to pass code. However, that's not the case with the Blog Cabin. It was, simply, their decision to make two larger bedrooms and not three smaller ones.

There are strict rules in NC concerning the size, position etc of septic systems on shoreline and in areas of special ecological interest (as here). But the cabin conforms to all of those too. I hope that helps a little.:)

Sally on June 21, 2013 at 1:17 pm
    • Under the 2 b/r rule it does so as it stands, however without extensive work and modification at expense , because of the limited size of a perc site it is very restrictive at only 115'x30' which is why they had to go with a mounded drip system. With enough money you could build a hotel there but as size increases so do the sewage requirements which are very strict and controlled by federal, state and local guidelines, which rules you don't want to usurp. Yes Dillon decided on the two b/r because he didn't want to chop up the house with a numer of smaller rooms. Many people want more b/r if they win they can add on or divide rooms up, I for one think there are too many now. I don't know when Vicki lived in sea level but the requirements change almost anually now for sewage vs occupancy, which they base on number of b/r. Thats just the way it is now.

540sam on June 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    • I wouldn't make it any bigger….my children keep telling me they are adults, therefore, they can move out!!! Love them dearly, but they really are adults….

Tisha

Tisha on June 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm
    • I know what you mean Tisha, I have 3 and guess what, they are adults, the youngest is 42. They are welcome, of course to come for a visit every now and then. That's why a house like this is perfect for a couple especially retired, or for a short vacation getaway where kids and grandkids and great grandkids can sleep all over the floors on air mattresses. That's basically the design function of this little house, it has neither the space or especially storage for large family permanent living. It is what it is.

540sam on June 23, 2013 at 5:31 am
    • Yes you can use it full time. If you read Dylan's Q&A section you will see that he didn't want to make 3br in this sq footage and that the septic system was indeed restricted by size as there was only one suitable perc site that they could use and it was restricted in size, so they had to use a drip system to make it fit, hence 2br permit.

540sam on June 20, 2013 at 4:54 am
    • Thank you, I missed that when I read through originally. I did know that septic system size and number of bedrooms are related because number of bedrooms indicates the average number of people who will live there.

YankeeNuke on June 20, 2013 at 11:25 pm