Jun 10

Revisit the Remodeling Process

Blog Cabin 2013 Time-Lapse Photography

Oh, do I have a treat for you! We curated the best images captured by our Cabin Cam into a series of slideshows. Now you can clearly see the transformation of this historic home from weathered, cedar shingle-clad cottage to inviting Southern-style coastal getaway.

Enjoy the time-lapse pictures and stay tuned for more informative content!

• Posted at 2:53 pm on June 6, 2013

1. Wow I love the pictures. They give you the feel of being there!!! B)
    Thank you Blog Cabin crew!!!

asandmancan on June 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm
  2. Wow- thanks for the slide show! Great to see all the demolition shots and all the rebuilding images I missed on the blog cabin camera! I'm looking forward to seeing the completed cabin. :)

And I wouldn't turn it down if I won it!

Lia_M on June 11, 2013 at 5:32 pm
  3. Thanks for the photos,such a shame the old place was in such bad shape,but hey,look what has risen from the foundation.

TonyE on June 11, 2013 at 11:39 pm
    • Tony-
      How very true. Like in most old home restorations, it usually ends up being best to totally tear down, and start from scratch. I have seen that so many times. The old time character may be lost, but the longevity will be far superior. The new home will not only last longer, it will probably be much cheaper in the long run. This Blog Cabin is a prime example of this. A good carpenter can patch and cover most anything in an old home, and make it look new, but, the frame is still an old house.

Did you see Holmes Inspection last week? Mike was called in to inspect a home that the owners lived in for only 5 months, and the floors were sagging terribly. In the end, he corrected all the problems, to the tune of $300,000+. That was a prime example of where it was better to tear down completely, and totally rebuild a new home. He put in new foundation, new wiring, new plumbing, new electrical, new everything, etc.

Builder on June 12, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    • Yep,have seen that one plus a couple others where he opened a can of worms.

TonyE on June 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm
  4. The slide show is fantastic!

I've been on but not saying much–probably a good thing…LOL
    I'll be taking my youngest daughter to the dentist to have all four of her wisdom teeth removed…then it's off to finish packing for my Pittsburgh trip…it's been a journey that's for absolute sure!!!

Have a wonderful day, Everyone!!! :)

TishaStanley on June 12, 2013 at 10:23 am
  5. A LOT has been done here!

Any homeowner would appreciate the NEWness of this cabin, kudos!

Trish on June 12, 2013 at 10:41 am
  6. Recently, we stayed at a lodge. The hostess was/IS the designer of the cabins. She created them out of boathouses, water towers, car garage, etc. To see the before photos and after photos….simply amazing! And, the same can be said here, too.

Very talented people!

Trish on June 12, 2013 at 10:44 am
  7. Thanks the slide show was great. Would like to see the finished dock, but I guess that is for the big revile.

vicki_in_Utah on June 12, 2013 at 11:36 am
  8. The original "Cabin", long weary and badly worn by time and weather, had served its purpose admirably as a sheltering home for generations of the Robinson family, so I'm sure it was for many dreamers who followed the DIY rebirth of our totally renewed and beautifully recrafted Blog Cabin a miraculous process of reincarnation mixed with sadness for the ending of the venerable old homestead and wonderment at the heart-stirring charm and warm, homey appeal of the new.

No longer neglected, the new DIY Blog Cabin will undoubtedly be lovingly cared for and cherished by its new owners for generations to come — once again standing proudly against the elements — and lonely no more. I couldn't be happier or more eager to begin submitting my entries in hopes of being that lucky winner.

Thank you, Mary, for sharing the time-lapse photos of the transformation — amazing! And thanks DIY, along with the entire crew and staff for all of the planning and hard work that made this possible.

DBCoop on June 12, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    • DBCoop, aren't you in N. Carolina? How bad was the storm? Do we know the status of the Blog Cabin? By the way, it's always nice to hear from nice people like you.

havanera on June 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm
    • Who me, in N. Carolina? Actually, it's been all too long since my last visit.

I'd say the Blog Cabin is as sturdy as they come these days, and it will take more than an ill-wind to harm our Atlantic home.

Looking forward to all the details — and the glowing blogger reviews in the days ahead!

DBCoop on June 12, 2013 at 9:29 pm
  9. Now that the home is finished, it is beautiful! Great job everyone!

Summer on June 12, 2013 at 1:44 pm
  10. Mary,
    Thanks for this series of slideshows.

It is amazing to review the transformation of this year's Blog Cabin.

The result is absolutely Beautiful!

Lester B. on June 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm