May 30

Cabin Comforts Gift Set Winner

Blog Cabin 2013 Dylan Eastman and Kayleen McCabe

Congrats to Annette Harris of Morgan, UT. She is the proud winner of our Cabin Comforts gift set. An identical gift set will be presented to the winner of the Blog Cabin 2013 Giveaway.

Keep checking the blog for additional info on this year’s home. We have yet to cover landscape details, creative outdoor spaces and building challenges, plus Core Sound culture. The photo above was captured over the weekend, as project manager Dylan Eastman put the finishing touches on the outdoor kitchen. Rescue Renovation show host Kayleen McCabe popped by for a tour of the home and was happy to lend a helping hand.

I am pretty certain you will flip when you see the virtual tour of this amazing property!

1. Glad to see people are still blogging on this post since there has been no new pic or info on this sight for awhile. I keep checking back to see! I was watching Andrea all day Friday and they said it hit the outer banks and that they was a threat of a tornado in New Bern but it pasted and all is well. I would like to know the water level at the blog Cabin doing the storm

Lfinicle on June 9, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    • Not sure of the water level there but we had some 50 MPH wind and the local news showed a tornado in Stacy headed towards our house but I never heard of any damage.One of those Doppler ghost.Carteret County was under a tornado warning most of the day starting at 4:50 AM.I had a little porch garden damage.

TonyE on June 9, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Glad you came out ok Tony.

540sam on June 10, 2013 at 7:30 am
  2. Ive been following the blog cabin now for 2 years. I think I'm going to win next year

Pol on June 10, 2013 at 12:44 am
  3. I'm still getting new computer set up……sigh……old one flat died! But I came back to a new thread and time lapse photos…………NEW THREAD EVERYONE!!!! Now I'm going to go catch up ;-)

karenlin91 on June 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm
  4. Hi… LL, I hope You're not close to the massive Wild fires! Sounds pretty explosive and strong….You really needed the torrential rains we had that went all the way up the East Coast. Please be careful and Stay safe..

LL, After we lost the Camera Cam, it was all down Hill from there!! We got so involved and couldn't see or help anymore and I was so disappointed we couldn't see what they were doing and they were keeping the ending from us.o.0…
    Sounds like We need to get a life doesn't it ???..LOL… WELL when I'm on a "project" I want to see it done
    from start to finish, don't you?? It's like reading a really good book you found in the attic and when you get to the last chapter you have an emergency and had to lay the book down but so anxious to get back and read the last chapter, you couldn't find the book, the dog ate it??? The BOOK is Gone and You missed the ending. ^_^. What a Bummer o.0:(B):)^_^<3 That's how I felt when the Camera Cam was turned off
    All is well now, I have composure again and ready for the Designers Specials, Virtual Tour and a chance to win this Beautiful Cottage on the Beach!!<3<3B) Have a good evening!!^_^ Take Care!!! B)<3

Jennie/Florida on June 10, 2013 at 8:20 pm
  5. I would like to issue a challenge to Scripps network on their next Blog Cabin. Dylan Eastman can supply the information on this historic property. It is the Wolf Trap light house in Mathews county on(or in) the Chesapeake. This property can be purchased very reasonably, and Scripps would be doing a service by preserving this historic property that was constructed in 1894. It would also be a challenge that any architect could only dream about. It may also offer tax breaks and exemptions that would allow the average winner to actually keep it. A unique chance for the network to do something interesting that hasn't been done before on TV and at an affordable price with benefits. Please do me a favour and mull it around. Thanks, Sam.

540sam on June 11, 2013 at 6:18 am
    • Hi Sam, You have chosen something Very interesting but also a very Challenging Project…It sounds like fun and very adventurous, but costly, not the price tag to buy, but the Lighthouse Insurance and the upkeep from storm damage due to all the storms heading North up the East coast…
      Weather forecasters are predicting more Hurricanes, Nor'Easters and Tropical Storms this year and the years to come and Sea level is rising! Most of the Storms will travel the East Coast and I would think this L/H would carry a high maintenance Expense..plus all the other expenses.
      This Cute little Lighthouse is very neat and interesting but has been destroyed twice! Once by Confederate troops in 1861 and destroyed again in 1893 by Ice and latest Owner sold due to Vandalism…Tooo many strikes against the Lighthouse for my liking!!! LOL…Them there Pirates are still out there Sam ^_^
      I wouldn't mind living by the water, but Not on the water!!! ;) ^_^B) It would be perfect for You Sam, you seem to be so adventurous :p^_^B)
      I would "settle" for a Real Log Cabin on a Lake or River with a nice waterfall and beautiful Mountain views. I Prefer My North Carolina mountains, but would settle for the Beautiful Mountains of Virginia toooo :p^_^B)<3<3….. Have a Good Evening^_^

Jennie/Florida on June 11, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    • I don't know what the insurance would cost Jennie, but challenging? oh for sure I think that it would test the organizational skills and knowledge of the best construction manager and architect and that's why I picked it. I can see the wheels turning in Dylan's head now. making spread sheets, alternate power, logistics etc. the list goes on to make sure you have everything covered. The construction of the current L/H is no comparison to the previous structure that it replaced and I would feel safer there than in a house on shore in a blow and any vacant structure is going to have vandalism. As for pirates, keep your powder dry and your cannons loaded. Alas like you I love the mountains also……….MMMMMMMMMM maybe a lighthouse on a mountain.:)

540sam on June 12, 2013 at 3:08 am
    • Oh a side note Jennie, a former Coast Guardsman who replied to the light house listing said he spent 18 mos stationed at the light back in the 60's when it was still manned, said that if could afford it he would move back to it in a minute. I've spent many hours fishing around it and I've often thought the same, how unique and historic can you get? Unless it's a lighthouse on a mountain of course.o.0

540sam on June 12, 2013 at 6:30 am
    • Wow! That sounds like a great project! Worth looking into at least. :D

JudyInMich on June 13, 2013 at 10:27 am
    • That's about 5 miles in a direct line from the 2011 Blog Cabin on the shore of Mobjack Bay. :)

AnniesOwn on June 16, 2013 at 10:48 pm
    • As the crow flies, yes. But it's actually in the Chesapeake Bay midway between the mouth of the Rappahannock and York Rivers. For nautical navigation, usually rivers are used for references.

540sam on June 17, 2013 at 5:59 am
  6. when are you having the virtual tour? I can't wait!.

Rachel on June 13, 2013 at 8:31 pm
  7. This is the best Chanel to watch and very inspirational people. This cabin is so beautiful and whoever wins it will be so lucky!! Good luck everyone!!

Dawn Campbell on July 2, 2013 at 9:27 am
  8. :) Three weeks to go YAY :)
    Soo Exciting!!!

coolsmiley on July 7, 2013 at 10:33 am
  9. Congratulations Annette Harris on your terrific Comforts win! Thank you Mary for keeping us up to date!

south47th on July 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm
  10. I love this place and the gorgeous house. DIY Network has done an exquisite job again. Congrats to whoever wins this years' Blog Cabin Beach Retreat.

suni on August 7, 2013 at 5:48 am