May 30

Cabin Comforts Gift Set Winner

Blog Cabin 2013 Dylan Eastman and Kayleen McCabe

Congrats to Annette Harris of Morgan, UT. She is the proud winner of our Cabin Comforts gift set. An identical gift set will be presented to the winner of the Blog Cabin 2013 Giveaway.

Keep checking the blog for additional info on this year’s home. We have yet to cover landscape details, creative outdoor spaces and building challenges, plus Core Sound culture. The photo above was captured over the weekend, as project manager Dylan Eastman put the finishing touches on the outdoor kitchen. Rescue Renovation show host Kayleen McCabe popped by for a tour of the home and was happy to lend a helping hand.

I am pretty certain you will flip when you see the virtual tour of this amazing property!

1. What a nice Surprise, Hi Laurie, We are glad you enjoyed the Beautiful little Cabin and so Happy You were there to Secure it during Andrea ^_^… I'm Just curious to know how close the water came up to the Dock and banks during the strong Winds and rain?? Sure wish the Camera Cam had been on, We could have watched to see how Andrea was treating Our Cottage!
    Yes Laurie, We are Happy Bloggers and Love Everything about the Blog Cabin Adventure especially this Cabin/Cottage on a beautiful piece of property with water views and We can't wait to see what has been chosen from the original Cottage and found it's new home!! We are Soooo hooked and look forward to "Everything" that has to do with this Cottage…Sure miss the Camera Cam ..Thank you for saving Our Sanity by continuing to keep us posted..You are thoughtful and We Appreciate You!!!:):p;)^_^B)<3<3

Jennie/Florida on June 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm
    • I love your posts, Jennie ! Especially thanking Laurie for saving our sanity– the new meaning of "S O S"…Saving Our Sanity..only a dedicated blogger would understand this, LOL ;) xD <3 B)

LLColeman on June 10, 2013 at 2:46 am
    • Hi LL, my reply to You ended up on the next page!!!:(o.0o.0 Wonder how that happened????B)^_^<3

Jennie/Florida on June 10, 2013 at 8:26 pm
  2. Congrats, Annette!

We've been gone on a real live Cabin adventure! Home Depot will appreciate the following DIY story I'm about to share……
    Part 1
    My hub created a fabulous "live well" for our fishing trip last year. He took the 5 gallon paint bucket and drilled holes into the "Homer 5 gallon paint bucket" from Home Depot. Then, we purchased a gamma lid to keep our live well secure……only great fishermen will appreciate this tale. I was in charge of keeping the lid closed after our fishing trip. I know, I know! a HUGE responsibility! I caught the absolute largest bass of my life on vacation, hub caught a huge blue gill and perch. They were in the half filled live well. And………as my fishing adventures go…….I have many….I looked down to discover all the fish had gone out of our live well and our lid WAS gone…gone…..gone. We had to fish several more hours to replace the missing fish.

Trish on June 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    • Part 2
      Of course my bass never made it back. : ( We returned to the scene of the lid fiasco. I netted the greatest catch of all time….a $9.95 missing gamma lid from the lake. We were also able to catch another "different' half of fish to fill the bucket; and an additional half to fill the remainder.

For those looking at the dock and panting…."I want, I want"…..What you catch, you clean. : ) Hub says the second live well made will never make into the boat. It takes a lot of time to clean your catch! : ) For wives who get upset when hubs go fishing…it's a LOT of WORK! Appreciate all that is brought home for the freezer.

Our adventures took place on Turtle Lake in MN…..With the Wilderness Lodge our cabin of choice…..But…..we'd be open to NC cabin of course. : ) For those of us still dreaming. : ) You know who you are!

Trish on June 8, 2013 at 9:27 pm
  3. PS….for children/wives trying to come up with DIY Father's Day gifts. …… This really IS a good one when you get the lid on tight.

oooops!

Trish on June 8, 2013 at 9:28 pm
  4. PS…..Kayleen and Dylan, I remember when my father in law helped get our ceiling fan and lamp up. It really is wonderful when you have someone who can help you with this project!

Teamwork! Gets what is considered little (really huge) completed! And greatly appreciated! It takes work!

Kudos to teamwork !

Trish on June 8, 2013 at 9:59 pm
    • It was so nice to see Kayleen, I wondered why she isn't one of the hosts I love her show. She is amazing.

vicki_in_Utah on June 8, 2013 at 10:19 pm
    • Good question.

Trish on June 8, 2013 at 11:21 pm
  5. Good Sunday to all, I hope Everyone escaped the worst of Andrea. Please chime in and let us know you are OK….Clive, we miss your comments but know you don't blog weekends…We haven't heard from you in quite sometime now, hope you are OK!!^_^
    Brook, I hope you are OK, I know Andrea entered Florida pretty close to where you live…please let us know that you are OK!;)
    All last week was a wild ride for most of us, just glad that Andrea is behind us now and hope no one had any major damage!!!. :) ^_^:p<3
    I'm hoping that Laurie will give us more feedback on the status of the landscape after Andrea passed through and how close the water came to the banks during the high winds and torrential storms.Just curious!
    Would like to hear from Kitty to let us know if Gary has had his surgery and Pray so hard for his speedy recovery:);):p^_^B) We are concerned and We care<3<3<3
    Sid we know You are under Tornado watch in your part of the woods today in Arkansas…Please let us know you are OK !<3
    Anyone who endured this Andrea girl, please chime in and let us know You are OK!
    Just think, that was the first of the Hurricanes/Tropical Storms and We have til the end of November before we can say good by to them :( :( Long Season!!!
    We must Smile, carry on and look forward to the little teasers, the great Specials, the Virtual Tour and finally entering to win this Beautiful Cottage that so many of Us have fallen in love with:p;):):D^_^B)<3<3<3

We could start thinking about "where" We would like to see the next Blog Cabin being built and make Our list
    to get feed back from Bloggers!!! Just a Thought^_^B)<3

Jennie/Florida on June 9, 2013 at 1:23 pm
    • Jennie,

Thank you for the update. WOW! There was a lot taking place while we were away. We hadn't heard the news. Truly hope everyone is ok.

Makes my little loss of fish minor in comparison.

Soooooooooooo…..if people didn't mind the cold temps. Upper Midwest has no hurricanes/tropical storms, rare tornado action but some GORGEOUS lakefront properties. Throw in a fishing boat & dock, we'd call it very good!

Trish on June 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    • That was pretty scary, I hope that is the last of the storms, but I am sure it isn't. I will be gone for a few days, so don't have too much fun with out me. We are going to the VA hospital in Salt Lake to have a consultation with the heart surgeon for my husband. But will be back on Wednesday.
      vicki

vicki_in_Utah on June 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm
    • vicki, all the best for you and your husband…..there have been enough trial and tribulation for your family already….you are in my thoughts and prayers. <3

LLColeman on June 10, 2013 at 2:50 am
    • Many prayers, Vicki.

Trish on June 10, 2013 at 7:15 pm
    • Hi Jennie, so glad to hear that you got through Andrea O.K.!:D We are fine here in our neck of the woods. The last couple of days have been perfect for working outdoors in the yard, the heavy spring yard work is finally done, and now I'm just happily fussing around with pots and planter boxes. As you know garden work is never really done!;) I didn't know we were under a tornado watch today, haven't had the TV on but will now check. Thanks for the heads up! <3<3<3 I also hope we hear good news about Gary, I'm sure Kitty must be very busy right now looking after him. I also keep thinking and praying for BrookwoodCarolina. Everything must be so hard for her now, and I hope everyone continues to pray for her peace and healing. Sure would also like to hear from Mary how our beautiful cabin weathered the storm, even though I know it is so well built I'm sure the bloggers dream home is completely intact!:D<3

SID on June 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    • Jennie you know I love to make suggestions for the next BC project and location, and this year after an exhausting internet search I couldn't find anything that could match this home…….

This place comes with so many things us bloggers have requested over the years, there's a pool, enough acreage for a nice garden, there's even solar panels, many of us bloggers want a sustainable home. It's historic, dating back to the late 1800's. It was originally built for a family of three, but they didn't skimp on elbow room. There's plenty of guest bedrooms, bathrooms and fireplaces, there's even an elevator! The views this home offers are amazing. I've visited this home a few times, it makes a statement with each season, but will completely delight the winner in the spring, fall and at Christmas! There's a nearby spa, horseback and hiking trails, kayaking, and even a winery. This is a home in an area some of us bloggers love….. the mountains. If this home sounds like a home that could make Bill Gates jealous….well it could! Sadly there are a couple of negatives too, no home is ever perfect. Taxes and upkeep would be horrendous. I wonder if some of you bloggers have guessed the home I find unmatchable, if not here's a link. I hope this makes you lovers of homes & gardens that believe no project is to BIG for the DIY Network smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llCpgiJaggE

Mel on June 9, 2013 at 5:55 pm
    • Hi Mel! Now you're talkin'!;) Seriously, thank you for attaching that marvelous link. For anyone looking for a great place to live (or vacation) Asheville NC is absolutely delightful. Dear hubby and I visited there many times years ago, when my retired father lived in the Asheville area. The Biltmore estate is just incredible, and those gardens are gorgeous. Sam mentions horseback riding in her video, well I don't know if they still allow it, but 15 years or so ago we actually were trusted with free run of the grounds on rented horses, and with no supervision! Yes, we were responsible and stayed off the formal lawns! xD Speaking of horses, the present Biltmore Castle's visitors restaurant is in the restored former stables. Even the Vanderbuilt horses lived like royalty!:D<3:p

SID on June 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm
    • SID loving architecture and landscaping the way I do seeing the Biltmore Estate in the different seasons was on my bucket list. Spring is my favorite time to go there, the gardens are exquisite. I will have to include horseback riding the next time we visit, and see if it is unsupervised.

Even though I am partial to the NC mountains, towns, lakes and waterfalls, I shouldn't be a blog hog for NC!!

Mel on June 10, 2013 at 10:52 am
    • Hi Mel, Great videos, You know how much I love the Mountains of North Carolina and I would be in "Hog Heaven" if the next BC was located in the Smokies….. Asheville has always been one of our favorite places to visit during the Fall Season..The Biltmore is a beautiful fantasy world to me and overwhelming, just to think of the taxes and upkeep would be staggering and unrealistic for regular Folk. LOL…I would settle for taking care of the gardens and living in the horse stables:p:)B)<3
      The next Blog Cabin I would like to be a real "Log" Blog Cabin either like the 2007 or a smaller version of the 2008 Cabin. A year round Cabin and not just a weekend getaway..B)^_^ Nothing too big, but big enough for a family of four…Screened porch over looking a lake or river and a Smokey Mountain View…I can see it now, it would be Heaven to me<3…"NC is the place I would rather be"B)<3<3<3

Jennie/Florida on June 10, 2013 at 12:42 am
    • Jennie I know the NC mountains are calling you…they call me to. From the white squirrels of Brevard, to following turtle tracks to a bubbling brook, from green grass to bluegrass, with caverns, falls and gorges, mountain laurel and rhododendron. There's so much natural beauty. Andrew Roby has a location in Banner Elk, NC.

I'd love a real cabin too, with both a mountain and lake view and with 250 waterfalls to explore. Jack T needs to pick the land of Waterfalls in Transylvania County!! Lake Toxaway, Brevard, Highlands, Cashiers, or Sapphire NC. The home could be dream, smart or Blog Cabin. I put this link up last year promoting this area, the lakes, waterfalls, and long range mountain views are stunning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIfjmEZ7MYU

Mel on June 10, 2013 at 10:07 am
    • Mel and Jennie, I agree absolutely 100% with both of you. the Smokies are one of the most beautiful areas in the US, and also offer four seasons of activities with winters usually not too bad, and long relatively cool summers. Jennie, I'd also love to see a log house again, so appropriate for a mountain location!<3 The whole region is full of quaint towns and villages. The Highlands or Cashiers would be perfect for the Dream Home with their upscale shops, activies and sophisticated residents. Many smaller quaint communities such as Franklin would be ideal for a more modest project like the BC or Green Home. By the way I wish they'd never dropped the Green Home concept in favor of the Smart Home. While the 2013 Smart Home is very nice, I'd personally prefer green to tech any day of the week. I suppose they have to go where the sponsors are. For future projects Jack T definitely should check out all the beautiful areas you mentioned. One of them would certainly work for any of the HGTV homes.B)<3

SID on June 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • Oh SID I feel bad going on about NC when the BC is at our coast this year!
      I agree with you, Transylvania County and the Land Of Waterfalls is a much better budget fit for the Dream Home. I hope Jack T sees this!
      I plead my case further with this link to build a Dream home in this beautiful area of the southern Appalachian, waterfalls are magical, and this area has 250 of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvKxBzS4d1A

Mel on June 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    • That is a great link Mel, thank you so much!<3<3<3:D

SID on June 10, 2013 at 9:11 pm
    • Mel, you crack me up….yes ..I'd say they have "plenty of elbow room" there. HGTV did a fantastic new- build home in a mountain area outside of Asheville a few years back. It did not have an elevator or a pool, but it had almost everything else–it just was not as enormous as Biltmore. (And indeed the carpenters working on that estate certainly had "built more" at Biltmore.)

LLColeman on June 10, 2013 at 2:58 am
    • LL, I believe that was Lake Lure, NC near Chimney Rock. That home stands as my favorite Dream Home of all time, the facade, outdoor areas and landscaping were the absolute perfect combinations for a dream home mountain getaway. The Colorado dream home was really nice too.

I love your pun on "built more for Biltmore"——I always enjoy your wit :)

Mel on June 10, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • I agree with you, the Lake Lure Dream Home is my all time favorite, too! The location with the views, the outdoor living room with the fireplace,easy care landscaping & the bedrooms. I have to find the videos & watch them again:)

Bev on June 10, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    • Thank You Bev, I'm heading over to the HGTV website and have a look at the Lake Lure Dream home again myself, Great idea :)

Mel on June 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm
    • What a great idea Jennie. I'm going to say my vote would be for the Shenandoah Valley of Va. on the Shenandoah River. Beautiful mountain living, great views, great little town and just isolated enough to give privacy, but still close enough to every amenity imaginable. I think anyone who has ever been there would agree

540sam on June 10, 2013 at 8:37 am
    • Sam I Love the Shenandoah Valley, it is a beautiful and relaxing place! The wild Mustangs of Shackleford were really popular with bloggers this year, and Grayson Highlands State Park in the mountains of VA are known for their wild ponies.

What I really want is to see the DIY Network do again is a real mountain cabin. Reno or new build doesn't matter to me. I want to see some LOGS!! Traditional cabin, if there's chinking I would really by happy. Ha Ha

Mel on June 10, 2013 at 10:21 am
  6. Glad to see people are still blogging on this post since there has been no new pic or info on this sight for awhile. I keep checking back to see! I was watching Andrea all day Friday and they said it hit the outer banks and that they was a threat of a tornado in New Bern but it pasted and all is well. I would like to know the water level at the blog Cabin doing the storm

Lfinicle on June 9, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    • Not sure of the water level there but we had some 50 MPH wind and the local news showed a tornado in Stacy headed towards our house but I never heard of any damage.One of those Doppler ghost.Carteret County was under a tornado warning most of the day starting at 4:50 AM.I had a little porch garden damage.

TonyE on June 9, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Glad you came out ok Tony.

540sam on June 10, 2013 at 7:30 am
  7. Ive been following the blog cabin now for 2 years. I think I'm going to win next year

Pol on June 10, 2013 at 12:44 am
  8. I'm still getting new computer set up……sigh……old one flat died! But I came back to a new thread and time lapse photos…………NEW THREAD EVERYONE!!!! Now I'm going to go catch up ;-)

karenlin91 on June 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm
  9. Hi… LL, I hope You're not close to the massive Wild fires! Sounds pretty explosive and strong….You really needed the torrential rains we had that went all the way up the East Coast. Please be careful and Stay safe..

LL, After we lost the Camera Cam, it was all down Hill from there!! We got so involved and couldn't see or help anymore and I was so disappointed we couldn't see what they were doing and they were keeping the ending from us.o.0…
    Sounds like We need to get a life doesn't it ???..LOL… WELL when I'm on a "project" I want to see it done
    from start to finish, don't you?? It's like reading a really good book you found in the attic and when you get to the last chapter you have an emergency and had to lay the book down but so anxious to get back and read the last chapter, you couldn't find the book, the dog ate it??? The BOOK is Gone and You missed the ending. ^_^. What a Bummer o.0:(B):)^_^<3 That's how I felt when the Camera Cam was turned off
    All is well now, I have composure again and ready for the Designers Specials, Virtual Tour and a chance to win this Beautiful Cottage on the Beach!!<3<3B) Have a good evening!!^_^ Take Care!!! B)<3

Jennie/Florida on June 10, 2013 at 8:20 pm
  10. I would like to issue a challenge to Scripps network on their next Blog Cabin. Dylan Eastman can supply the information on this historic property. It is the Wolf Trap light house in Mathews county on(or in) the Chesapeake. This property can be purchased very reasonably, and Scripps would be doing a service by preserving this historic property that was constructed in 1894. It would also be a challenge that any architect could only dream about. It may also offer tax breaks and exemptions that would allow the average winner to actually keep it. A unique chance for the network to do something interesting that hasn't been done before on TV and at an affordable price with benefits. Please do me a favour and mull it around. Thanks, Sam.

540sam on June 11, 2013 at 6:18 am
    • Hi Sam, You have chosen something Very interesting but also a very Challenging Project…It sounds like fun and very adventurous, but costly, not the price tag to buy, but the Lighthouse Insurance and the upkeep from storm damage due to all the storms heading North up the East coast…
      Weather forecasters are predicting more Hurricanes, Nor'Easters and Tropical Storms this year and the years to come and Sea level is rising! Most of the Storms will travel the East Coast and I would think this L/H would carry a high maintenance Expense..plus all the other expenses.
      This Cute little Lighthouse is very neat and interesting but has been destroyed twice! Once by Confederate troops in 1861 and destroyed again in 1893 by Ice and latest Owner sold due to Vandalism…Tooo many strikes against the Lighthouse for my liking!!! LOL…Them there Pirates are still out there Sam ^_^
      I wouldn't mind living by the water, but Not on the water!!! ;) ^_^B) It would be perfect for You Sam, you seem to be so adventurous :p^_^B)
      I would "settle" for a Real Log Cabin on a Lake or River with a nice waterfall and beautiful Mountain views. I Prefer My North Carolina mountains, but would settle for the Beautiful Mountains of Virginia toooo :p^_^B)<3<3….. Have a Good Evening^_^

Jennie/Florida on June 11, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    • I don't know what the insurance would cost Jennie, but challenging? oh for sure I think that it would test the organizational skills and knowledge of the best construction manager and architect and that's why I picked it. I can see the wheels turning in Dylan's head now. making spread sheets, alternate power, logistics etc. the list goes on to make sure you have everything covered. The construction of the current L/H is no comparison to the previous structure that it replaced and I would feel safer there than in a house on shore in a blow and any vacant structure is going to have vandalism. As for pirates, keep your powder dry and your cannons loaded. Alas like you I love the mountains also……….MMMMMMMMMM maybe a lighthouse on a mountain.:)

540sam on June 12, 2013 at 3:08 am
    • Oh a side note Jennie, a former Coast Guardsman who replied to the light house listing said he spent 18 mos stationed at the light back in the 60's when it was still manned, said that if could afford it he would move back to it in a minute. I've spent many hours fishing around it and I've often thought the same, how unique and historic can you get? Unless it's a lighthouse on a mountain of course.o.0

540sam on June 12, 2013 at 6:30 am
    • Wow! That sounds like a great project! Worth looking into at least. :D

JudyInMich on June 13, 2013 at 10:27 am
    • That's about 5 miles in a direct line from the 2011 Blog Cabin on the shore of Mobjack Bay. :)

AnniesOwn on June 16, 2013 at 10:48 pm
    • As the crow flies, yes. But it's actually in the Chesapeake Bay midway between the mouth of the Rappahannock and York Rivers. For nautical navigation, usually rivers are used for references.

540sam on June 17, 2013 at 5:59 am