May 30

Cabin Comforts Gift Set Winner

Blog Cabin 2013 Dylan Eastman and Kayleen McCabe

Congrats to Annette Harris of Morgan, UT. She is the proud winner of our Cabin Comforts gift set. An identical gift set will be presented to the winner of the Blog Cabin 2013 Giveaway.

Keep checking the blog for additional info on this year’s home. We have yet to cover landscape details, creative outdoor spaces and building challenges, plus Core Sound culture. The photo above was captured over the weekend, as project manager Dylan Eastman put the finishing touches on the outdoor kitchen. Rescue Renovation show host Kayleen McCabe popped by for a tour of the home and was happy to lend a helping hand.

I am pretty certain you will flip when you see the virtual tour of this amazing property!

1. Good Morning, Everyone!!! It is sooo sad to hear of more tragedy and I keep all in my prayers!! If I can make you smile, it would be a nice thing…this is from a conversation with my 4 year old grand daughter and my 18 year old daughter….
    Sami- You have a birthday coming
    Katie – Yeah, I know
    Sami – How old are you going to be?
    Katie – 5
    Sami – That's so cool, you're gonna be 5, you're getting so big.
    Katie – What's so great about being 5?
    Sami – ??????

I hope that made you smile at least a little. I will be in Pittsburgh from June 13-15. For graduation. I made it. If any of you would like to see me, come on. It will be my pleasure to put a face with a name of my fellow bloggies!!! Have a great day!!
    Tisha

TishaStanley on June 5, 2013 at 9:12 am
    • Tisha – congratulations! You have every reason to be pleased with yourself, I/we are all happy for you.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on June 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm
    • Tisha, I am so very happy for you. YOU DID IT!!! WooHoo! I hope you have a great trip to Pittsburgh. It a big city, with lots to do and see. Have a wonderful time, you deserve it! Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on June 6, 2013 at 12:26 am
    • Congratulations Tisha!!!:D

JudyInMich on June 6, 2013 at 7:10 am
    • Congratulations Tisha!!! You Did It!!

karenlin91 on June 6, 2013 at 9:11 am
    • 'gratulations Tisha, Good Job!!!!<3<3<3

SID on June 6, 2013 at 11:36 am
    • What a great accomplishment Tisha, So proud of you. I wish I lived close enough to be there for Your Big moment..I will be thinking about you next week June 13-15th and know You have done something that so many of Us wish We had done when we were younger but Our sweet little babies took first place over education, then Our jobs..So going back to school was on the bottom of our list…So glad you took that extra step especially if it will enhance your Career.:p:)^_^B)<3

Jennie/Florida on June 6, 2013 at 12:54 pm
  2. Jennie, batten down the hatches.

540sam on June 6, 2013 at 6:53 am
    • Thank you for the heads up Sam, I got everything ready yesterday and secured as much as possible. The storms moved in yesterday afternoon. Now it's just enduring the high winds, heavy downpours and tornado warnings which comes almost hourly..that's the scariest.part. Flooding is a real concern too but can only ride out the storms and Pray we keep our Power and no damage is done…Andrea has picked up speed this morning which is good for us, but we will still have a day of tornado alerts and downpours until She has moved further up the east coast.. Our Little Cottage is going to get Andrea, I just hope her strength has weakened by the time she gets to Our Cottage and on up the Coast toward you and a lot of our Blogging Buddies.. Thank you and now it's time for you to start battening down the hatches…Take Care!!!
      One good thing about all this rain is, I won't have to water my Spring flowers and yard anytime soon!^_^B)

Jennie/Florida on June 6, 2013 at 9:45 am
    • Jennie, I am praying for you and all those in Andreas path. This is so scary. Glad you know what to do.

vicki_in_Utah on June 6, 2013 at 11:16 am
    • Thank you Vicki that is sweet of you, I don't think We can ever have to many prayers…:pB)<3. I have been through quite a few Hurricanes and each one is different but the uneasy feeling you get doesn't change…All I can do is follow the Weatherman's advice and hunker down, but most of all, pray that I will be safe and try not to panic!! ^_^B)<3

Jennie/Florida on June 6, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    • Jennie glad to hear that you are prepared, hope it isn't too scary a ride and that you, your home and your garden stay safe!<3<3<3

SID on June 6, 2013 at 11:33 am
    • Thank you Sid, the worst part is over for us, but the tornado warnings are still up until 10 pm tonight, I'm so glad my stress level can go down LOL…The last few hours has been calm which is a good sign…So glad we didn't have any destruction, only dead limbs fell that needed to be cleaned out of the trees…I was wandering how I was going to get those out…Great to have "Good help" from Mother nature^_^ As I said to Sam, the good thing about all that rain, I won't have to water my Flowers and lawn for a while!! I think we had over 5 inches of rain in the course of 2 &1/2 days…Lots of rain…Andrea is headed North to Our Cottage, hopefully she will run out of strength before she gets there…I would hate for the Cottage to be tested of violent storms and high winds before We get a chance to see the Cottage….As Sam has said she will hold up fine! I hope So..but never under estimate the power of Mother Nature!! Have a Good Evening:p^_^B)<3
      Oh, one more thing…I had a rude awakening this morning, I went out to check everything outside and a snake was on my porch…I almost stepped on it not expecting one to be on the porch o.0o.0 but it didn't take but a second to get back in the house,.I move fast when I'm frightened anyway.I called my neighbor for help and they got the slimy little thing..o.0o.0 Not a good start to my day!!!o.0^_^B) But relieved in many waysB)<3

Jennie/Florida on June 6, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    • Jennie, I was hoping you would be okay when I saw the weather, then saw you had plenty of warning – glad you came out of it okay.
      I'd leave the trees alone, too. Too beautiful to lose, too costly to remove.
      Weather has not been kind to folks this year.
      We are already in drought, but still hanging tight in tornado season. What a mixture.
      We had the shelter installed 6 years ago when the tornado threat was so severe, glad we got it before the price gougers stepped in. Our $2K shelter is going for $4 to 5K now. If we get hit, we'll be fine, but won't have internet to tell anyone, the dish is on the roof!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on June 6, 2013 at 8:26 pm
    • Salute it, do an about face and walk away smartly.:)

540sam on June 7, 2013 at 4:05 pm
    • I wouldn't worry about the cabin, it was overbuilt so much that this storm won't bother it and as fast as it's moving high water shouldn't be a problem. I bought my home new in 71 nad wev'e been through a few blows before a lot worse than this. I usually just put loose things away. You will probably get more than us, by the way I hope you planted water lillies and rice instead of flowers. LOLxD

540sam on June 6, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    • Funny Sam!!!:p:)^_^B)

Jennie/Florida on June 6, 2013 at 4:24 pm
  3. Tropical Storm ANDREA is coming up the coast.

Lorrie Finicle on June 6, 2013 at 8:14 am
    • Oh dear, hope everyone will be ok.

vicki_in_Utah on June 6, 2013 at 8:31 am
    • Me, too!!

TishaStanley on June 6, 2013 at 8:51 am
    • A friend reports that is is just a lot of rain and winds about 30mph, not bad at all.

KCDigger on June 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm
    • Hi KC, where does your friend live in Florida because there are Tornado warnings all over Florida and in my area that will last till 10pm tonight and it only takes One Tornado to touch down and wipe out the whole area and take lives!!! We just have to hope and pray that none touch down!

Weather man is now saying there has been so much rain all over Florida, the root system of trees is so saturated that if and when winds pick up over 30mph the big trees will start falling!!!:(

Jennie/Florida on June 6, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    • Jennie, do you have big trees by your house? I hope not, when they fall they can do a lot of damage.

vicki_in_Utah on June 6, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    • Hi Vicki, I have two old "big" trees in my back yard. One is a 75 ft Cedar and the other is a 100 ft Sycamore tree. The Sycamore is sitting on a slanted hill, so I worry the water is washing the dirt away from the root system the tree won't have enough earth to keep it grounded and it's about 20ft from my back Patio..If they fall, I pray they fall toward the back yard and away from my home…the Sycamore is so big round and tall, it would crush my whole house, if it falls…I try not to think about it but when we start having Tropical Storm or Hurricanes and the Weatherman starts talking about wind and so much rain and the trees root system gets saturated and high winds, the trees could be blown over, I get nervous!!!
      I have talked to a tree Remover and He gave me a quote of $4 thousand for the Sycamore and $5 thousand for the Cedar, Duh…Soooo with that being said, I pray the trees hang on for dear jife and don't fall and crush my home.. Who has that kind of money to have two trees cut down????
      The sad part about it is, they are beautiful Shade trees and the backyard and Patio are nice and cool in the Summertime!!! That's where we eat most of our meals in the Summer time, it's so nice with a view of Nature at it's best..There are Birds of all kind visiting the feeders from the Animal Wildlife down the road from here. We have Squirrels, all kinds of Butterflies and a beautiful Bobcat that visits every once in a while…
      The weather has calmed down for now, no rain in the past 2hrs. but tornado warnings are still up until 9pm tonight…Have a Good Evening Vicki, I hope You are well^_^<3

Jennie/Florida on June 6, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    • Type-o….dear life not "dear jife" B)^_^

Jennie/Florida on June 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm
    • Jennie, I hope you and your family are safe!! I saw some pictures of flooding in Florida, I hope it isn't in your area!! Be safe, and let us know…

Tisha

TishaStanley on June 7, 2013 at 7:14 am
    • Oh Dear, I hope those big trees stay put. That is crazy they want so much to cut down those trees, around here all you would have to say, "free fire wood, you cut it down" and people would be standing in line to cut them down. My youngest son (olivers dad) had a giant pine tree that was over 30 years old that was planted to close to his house, and he did that and got it cut down, it was sad, because there were tons of birds nest in it. But it was messing up his house foundation. I am with you, I love trees for the shade and wild life. Hope all is well, I am glued to the weather channel.

vicki_in_Utah on June 6, 2013 at 9:11 pm
  4. Good Morning, Everyone!! It's supposed to rain today–and for the next few days–so I guess we'll just have to have our coffee/tea on the porch of "our" cabin. I like to watch storms–not be in them–they just have so much energy. A couple years ago we had a nasty storm. A tree came down in front of my neighbors house and pulled electrical lines down in front of mine. We had no power for 3 days. I don't really want another storm like that. My neighbor across the street has a tree that's right on the edge of a ditch…if it comes down, it's taking out my garage….

I have to take my youngest daughter to the dentist–wisdom teeth coming in—so have a wonderful day, and hopefully I'll "see" you for lunch…

Tisha

TishaStanley on June 6, 2013 at 8:58 am
  5. Hi WCG, thank you, I was fortunate this time..One good thing about T/S or Hurricanes you do have prep time before hand and with Tornadoes you don't have any warning except for the siren, but that doesn't give you much time to react..
    We had torrential downpours that seem to last for hours at a time…I did have flooding but nothing major and we were lucky with only minor yard debris and no down trees thank goodness..Others didn't fair as well…A few Tornadoes spawned during the T/S and damages homes and downed big trees…We were fortunate this time.
    It seems like the Weather pattern has been scrambled and Wacky weather just pops up randomly all over the US…It's great you have a shelter but need to figure out how to communicate with outside family, friends and blogging buddies too…:p:)B)<3

Jennie/Florida on June 6, 2013 at 10:51 pm
    • Jennie I am glad all is well there and no damage was done to your home. Praise the Lord!
      It's getting a little dark here now and calling for rain, I am hoping all goes well for I have a 2 day craft show this weekend and a Graduation tonight.

home_girl on June 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm
    • Thank you Rhonda, the Tropical Storm is probably close to the Cottage on the Sound by now or getting close to it, possible flooding, tornadoes and high winds are predicted for that area..I hope our Cottage Fairs well…The only good thing about this storm is it's moving pretty fast and doesn't have time to do a lot of damage…I'm afraid Maine will be on the end of the list so maybe by the time it get up there to you it will be just a rain maker..Take care and stay safe…Keep up posted!^_^<3
      I hope your 2 day Craft Show will be inside and hope "Grad night" is over before the rain gets there!:)

Jennie/Florida on June 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm
    • Thanks, I see all went well at the cottage, and the generator worked well there too.
      The rain started as we was leaving for the graduation, started getting heavy on way home, but all went well, was just a little hard packing the truck in the rain last night, and unpacking at the show this morning in a down pour. But so far so good for the sun came out for the ride home. Hope the sun shines again tomorrow too!

home_girl on June 8, 2013 at 9:42 pm
  6. Good morning, Coffee is on, again, we have some rain. I wasn't able to make it back for "lunch". Why does it take so long for the dentist to take 2 x-rays and then tell us that all 4 of my daughters wisdom teeth need to come out? The appointment was for 10, we got home at 1….

Have a wonderful day Everybody. Jennie–I hope you are safe–as well as all others who are in the storm "sights".

Tisha

TishaStanley on June 7, 2013 at 7:17 am
    • WOW, sorry you missed lunch. Ouch those darn wisdom teeth. Maybe the dentist went to lunch and remembered he had a patient in the chair.;)

MaryPA on June 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm
    • Thank you Tisha, everything is OK , just had some pretty high winds for a couple of days and some flooding but no major damage was done..Tornadoes hit areas close by and had quite a bit of damage but we were lucky this time!
      This was just the start of Hurricane Season, I really don't look forward to the rest..June 1st to end of November is a long time to have to worry about Hurricanes and T/S..I guess that's the price We have to pay for living in Florida!!!:)

Jennie/Florida on June 7, 2013 at 2:05 pm
  7. Watch out bloggers, I have several random thoughts….

I would Love to see a Video of Each of the Guest Hosts telling us BC fans a bit about the space they designed and finished for the home. I'm talking individual sneak peek videos of the the work done by Grundy, Anitra, Alison, Jason, Matt, Matty, and Josh. They'd be delightful & insightful hors d' oeuvres for us fans to enjoy, before we enjoy the banquet of the virtual tour on July 16th. That's a long time away, and us bloggers need something to blog about.

Just a thought… an outdoor space with many of the comforts of an indoor space is a space that can really be used and enjoyed. I Love the pic of the shade structure getting a ceiling fan! Having a solid roof, having light, heating & cooling, cooking and dining under and by the gabled shade structure is brilliant. Ceiling fans installed on the wrap around porch gives that space added comfort and style too, and I know ceiling fans were requested by bloggers.

Lastly, of all the answers that Dylan provided the blog in his Q&A segment it is his mention of custom built wall art that has me most intrigued. When we can finally see inside of the home, just like Mary predicted I'm gonna flip……..I might turn into an acrobat ninja, and begin to cartwheel, pivot and twirl on one leg, scissor leap, do double and triple twist, and both half and full pikes, all ending in a round off, and then visiting my chiropractor for a much needed back adjustment.
    Have a great weekend EveryBloggie!!

Mel on June 7, 2013 at 11:07 am
    • LOL….I had a visual of you doing just exactly what you said….

TishaStanley on June 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    • Ha Ha Tisha, those days of youthful flexibility are long gone! Just remembering my "glory days" :)

Mel on June 8, 2013 at 4:01 pm
    • Mel, I love your idea about the clips from the different Guest Hosts. That would give us something to see and talk about. What I would really like to see and talk about is your gymnastics routine!

Eugenia27 on June 8, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    • Eugenia in a land far, far, away….there once lived a little girl that took ballet and loved to scissor leap and pivot and twirl on one leg, and then the other while her little tiara remained perfectly perched on her head! Then one summer day the little girl looked up from her My Little Pony doll to see one of her brothers diving off of a platform, effortlessly moving from a somersault into a closed pike position before straightening out and breaking the surface of the water. She instantly threw her pink tutu and tiara into the pool and never looked back. Much to the chagrin of her mom she became a tomboy over night and followed her brothers into platform diving. I never was what you would call a real gymnast, I just loved to be upside down turning and twisting and then ending up in the glorious refreshing water of a pool. Aaahhh to be young again :)

Mel on June 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm
    • While you were writing out your routine, you were young again.

Eugenia27 on June 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm
  8. Annette, your a lucky gal enjoy those gifts.<3B)

MaryPA on June 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm
  9. Laurie March, HGTV Remodel's House Counselor, has posted four Instagram photos of the DIY
    Blog Cabin and nearby area. She's "battening down the hatches" at the Blog Cabin. The Kohler
    Generator kicked in with a power loss. Her second strategy is to scare Tropical Storm Andrea away
    with her self-described, "loud" pants. Thanks, Laurie!

DeerSpring on June 7, 2013 at 2:18 pm
    • Hi DeerSpring so glad to see you, I hope all is well with you…I tried the website you gave but didn't see the
      4 Instagram photos of the Cottage or Laurie and her Loud Pants!!^_^ Please guide me in the right direction!

Jennie/Florida on June 7, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    • Oops, Thank you DS…I Found the Pics, the porch looks great, can't wait to see more!!!^_^<3B)

Jennie/Florida on June 7, 2013 at 3:16 pm
    • I'm eager to see just a little tiny peek at least before the reveal! Hint! Hint!

DeerSpring on June 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    • I should have said on the right border under her Instagram photos. You can click on the photos
      to enlarge and read the captions. : )

DeerSpring on June 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Jennie/Florida on June 7, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    • DS….Sorry for the comment to Rhonda, some how it got lost in space and landed here??? :) ^_^B)
      Don't know how that happened???:p

Jennie/Florida on June 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    • I'm not sure either because I only saw this reply by coming here on the blog, Jennie.

DeerSpring on June 7, 2013 at 3:33 pm
    • DeerSpring, just went to the site nice pics. Hope everything is tied down.

MaryPA on June 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm
    • It looks like Laurie will be making sure that everything is in place. : )

DeerSpring on June 7, 2013 at 3:40 pm
    • If her pants don't work, the shoes surely will.:)

540sam on June 7, 2013 at 3:59 pm
    • Thanks for posting this link DeerSpring! I was hoping we would get some word on how the cabin did in Andrea. We are just headed for lots of rain and some local flooding in areas that are usually prone to floods. So we are doing our spring weekends anyway.

grammagail on June 7, 2013 at 6:04 pm
    • You're welcome! The rainy days from TS Andrea seem like the rains of an extended spring. It's
      starting to look like a tropical forest in my neck of the woods. : )

DeerSpring on June 7, 2013 at 7:54 pm
    • Thanks DeerSpring. Morris Marina reminded me of Portsmouth Island since they have cabins on one end of the Island, and provide a ferry over from Atlantic, NC.
      Portsmouth is a place I want to visit when I go back to the NC coast. I love that this village has remained untouched by development, and is protected from development, being a part of the Cape Lookout National Seashore. It stands as a memorial to how life was lived on the NC coast for generations, and being on the north end of the CLNS is close to the BC. Here's a link to video about Portsmouth Island http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhvTTjZDHxU

Mel on June 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm
    • Mel, I really enjoyed your video link. The barrier islands may be fragile to look at from a satellite
      view but as an individual standing on an isolated beach with miles of sand and water in both
      directions you feel that you are at the center of the universe! It's good to know that the people
      connected to the island return and enjoy its splendor every year in good fellowship.

DeerSpring on June 8, 2013 at 6:10 pm
    • Right On DeerSpring!
      It's an amazing feeling to visit these isolated beaches, to walk them to "the point" they end in an inlet, and have the powerful and majestic Atlantic both to your right and to your left. You do feel like you have discovered a land no one else has ever heard about or seen before! Since the barrier islands form broken strings of land, then ocean, land then ocean, thus creating a swirl of water currents the surf fishing at the various inlets is amazing. Someone is gonna be so Freakin' Lucky to win this home. Good Luck Deer, I know you are a fan of Carolina beaches :)

Mel on June 9, 2013 at 8:42 am
    • Mel, your video reminded me so much of a little church on another barrier island. It was
      my grandmother's church on the main land and was moved to the island some time
      later. I'm glad she told me this because I thought it had always been on the island.
      There's so much to do on the Outer Banks. I have good memories of watching
      hang gliders on the dunes of Kitty Hawk, sailing on a little sailboat in the sound, and
      eating very good seafood. : )

DeerSpring on June 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm
  10. Hi all! I know you are sorely missing the Cabin Cam – so I wanted to pop in and send some cabin love.

It's pretty windy here in Atlantic, but our sweet Blog Cabin weathered the storm like a champ! The windows really cut down on the noise and wind – but boy was it a crazy day yesterday! We lost power briefly but the generator kicked in and kept us going strong.

We're making some more juicy behind the scenes videos for you to watch soon, but I'll make sure to come back and tease you with more cabin details.

PS. One of my favorite spots to hang out is right by the gorgeous fireplace. When you sit in the corner and put your feet up, you feel like the king of the world! (err.. queen??)

Hope you're all happy and healthy. In the meantime, check our videos out from before your house got 'all grown up!' http://www.hgtvremodels.com/hgtvremodels-remodeli

Monday I'll put a post over on the House Counselor blog with some of my favorite textures from the Cabin… come by! http://blog.hgtvremodels.com/

Laurie <3<3

Laurie_March on June 8, 2013 at 7:04 am
    • Thanks for the update and keeping us informed Laurie, can't wait for the teases.^_^

540sam on June 8, 2013 at 8:06 am
    • Love the video especially the one showing drawings of furniture and layout. I hope the kitchen is like that as we had suggested many time in blog and not with the partition to the stairs. The foyer feel big enough to turn into a 3rd bedroom if the sitting area has a nice double daybed. I cannot wait until the tour

zulumom on June 8, 2013 at 8:49 am
    • Thanks, Laurie, for dropping by with more information. Love the fact that the generator got a test run and performed well! July seems so far away but I don't want it to go by too fast because here that will be summer half over! LOL. My Dad used to say at the end of fireworks on the fourth "Well, summer's over!" He believed Maine only had three seasons…long spring, long fall and even longer winter. LOL Maine is my favorite place to be….not his! Looking forward to making NC my favorite place to be!

grammagail on June 8, 2013 at 9:59 am
    • Gammagail you would love NC ! The people are really friendly, and there's the natural beauty of pristine beaches on the east coast, with the Blue Ridge & Great Smoky Mountains in the west.

Here is a stunning video of the clouds above the Craggy pinnacle, (Craggy Gardens) closer by far to where I live in NC than the coast is! (hubby is from the NC coast) The Blue Ridge Mountains are named for the way the clouds rise off their ridges with the sun rise, and Craggy pinnacle near Mount Mitchell offers a 360 degree panorama. It looks like the clouds are the ocean tickling the mountain ridges, the way the ocean does the sea shore. So if you do win BC you would have the option of visiting some beautiful mountains to your west. By the way, Maine is a beautiful state too

Mel on June 8, 2013 at 12:30 pm
    • Laurie Thank You for blogging with us, and for doing your job so well ! You did a Great Job in the first set of behind the scenes videos and I can't wait to see the next ones. Please tell DIY to get them to the blog ASAP, we are in need of something new to blog about.

I hope you have a wonderful visit to NC, and a safe trip back home.

Mel on June 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    • Thank you Laurie, for that info. Yes we are missing the cabin cam. Glad you were at the BC to batten down the hattches.

vicki_in_Utah on June 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm
    • Hey Laurie glad everything turned out fine at the Blog Cabin wow that must of been crazy scary.
      Love those lime green pants;) As for the videos they are playing the commercial and everything at once the buffering doesn't work, oh well I'll just put up with it. Thanks a bunch <3<3B) Enjoy the weekend!

MaryPA on June 8, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    • Thanks, Laurie!! The videos were great to see…what a tease!!! I can't wait to see more!!! I agree with GrammaGail though, I want July to get here, I just don't want it to come too fast or soon–Summer is over for us NY'ers by then…LOL.

I love NC–I have family there and would love to be the winner of this gorgeous cabin so that I can be close to my family–but then we all would love to win this!!

We need more–