May 25

Meet the Interior Designers

From left: Emily Guthrie, Jody Wiener and Kathy Guthrie

Morehead City-based interior designer Emily Guthrie and business partner Kathy Guthrie (no relation but great friends since grade school) got a call from the local chamber urging the duo to show up at a casting call of sorts. Blog Cabin 2013 project manager Dylan Eastman was hosting a meet-and-greet in search of an interior designer. “We made an appointment to meet with Dylan on a Friday at 5 because usually no one does anything after Friday at 5,” says Emily. They met for dinner and talked about the remodeling project, their design philosophies and more. Having Dylan’s undivided attention paid off: Emily and team got the job and quickly became immersed in the world of Blog Cabin.

Emily brings to the table a background in both fashion and interior design. The Morehead City native owned two women’s clothing boutiques before making the transition to interior design — initially working with her husband, a builder, to stage spec homes. Armed with three storage units filled with furnishings and accessories, Emily decided to open her own 1400-square-foot design shop in 2011 and relocated to her current, larger location in October 2012. Her customer base reaches as far afield as Topsail Beach (a two-hour drive from Morehead City), and she stands apart, she says, for her unusual take on the classics. Walking the High Point Furniture Market each season keeps her vision fresh. “If we like the design of a piece and it’s out of the norm, we will buy it. We like to start our own trends” she says. “We find that when everyone else has the same look it loses its charm, so we try to buy the things that nobody else has.”

Jody Wiener, a graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, joined the team shortly after Emily opened her first shop and offers a contemporary lens that Emily relies on. “She’s helped me take it to another level,” Emily says. Jody has clocked in endless hours at Blog Cabin, creating style boards for each space, interpreting the show hosts’ vision for rooms, decorating and, when necessary, painting furnishings.

Emily describes the overarching design aesthetic at Blog Cabin 2013 as “coastal casual.” “It’s got a nice mix of industrial, recycled and reused elements with a very cool palette. It’s very relaxing,” says Jody.
Ready to renovate your own historic gem? The duo offers up advice, based largely on their experience at Blog Cabin. “Be willing to make mistakes,” says Emily. “Sometimes you are so afraid of making a mistake that you don’t do anything. So try it.”

“Take your time and be open-minded,” adds Jody. “And look at things outside of the box: Take an old piece of furniture and don’t just paint it but change its purpose. And, above all, don’t throw out your shutters.”

1. Good morning,Friends!! We had a little storm last night. It didn't last long but it did wreak some havoc…hail, downed lines,,,etc…Have a wonderful day!!! And Yes, the coffee is on…

TishaStanley on May 30, 2013 at 8:21 am
    • Good Morning Tisha, so glad You had fun with your Brothers & family and Happy you missed all those accidents during your trip! Did you have any damage from last nights storms? I have a feeling We are in for a very busy Hurricane Season which starts this Saturday June 1st. Weatherman predicts very active Hurricane season with above normal storms!!!:( o.0
      Since you have the coffee on, I have made fresh Banana and Blueberry Muffins….Maybe we can sit under the Pergola and have our breakfast and enjoy the lovely View..That is if it's not raining…Since we Don't have the Camera Cam anymore, we have to count on the Locals to let us know what the weather is at the Cottage…There is always the outdoor porch under the Pecan Trees…Peacefui and Lovely setting!
      Sorry you didn't get a peek at the Cottage while you were there but that's OK, I wouldn't want you to get arrested for trespassing just to get a peek and Pic..LOL Pretty soon We will get to see all of the Cozy Cottage and Landscaping!! Can't Wait:p^_^B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 30, 2013 at 10:23 am
    • Bite your tongue,we're not allowing any storms this year,but I think you are right.

TonyE on June 1, 2013 at 12:12 am
  2. Looking forward to seeing all the videos of the Beach Cottage at Robinson's Landing.

pinevalley on May 30, 2013 at 12:00 pm
  3. Winner of Cabin Comforts announced on new thread!!!

Jennie/Florida on May 30, 2013 at 12:48 pm
  4. I am looking forward to seeing the Blog Cabin. Thank You to everyone. I am filled with gratitude.

Marcella C. on June 4, 2013 at 2:06 am
  5. Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone. I just wanted to say we are glad everyone picked the cool colors and we hope you all like it!!!!

Emily Guthrie on June 4, 2013 at 10:55 am
    • Thanks Emily. I am sure we will love what you have done. Can't wait for the reveal!<3:D

JudyInMich on June 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    • I just want to say,and I think I speak for all of the Bloggers, that you and your team have done a wonderful and beautiful job on this year's Blog Cabin. It is something that you should really be proud of, it's absolutely breathtaking. Thank you for all of your hard work.

540sam on July 27, 2013 at 4:45 am
  6. I was wondering why the woman on the right of the picture looks like she's not happy? Her smile dosen't look genuine! JUST SAYING^_^

WE-Z on June 5, 2013 at 8:18 am
    • Sorry it looks that way, I wasn't feeling well that day. And I am almost too much of a Genuine person,
      It shows very easily ! Kathy Guthrie

Divine 111 on June 6, 2013 at 8:42 am
    • That's ok Kathy, I never noticed and you look fine and happy to me.

540sam on June 10, 2013 at 7:41 am
    • Hi Kathy, Can you tell me how far is the blog cabin from Mooreshead? Or is it Moorsville,lol

coolsmiley on July 17, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    • She probably doesn't like her picture taken. I know I don't.

vicki_in_Utah on June 9, 2013 at 1:39 pm
  7. Congratulations Annette.

MarcellaC. on June 6, 2013 at 9:58 pm
  8. Pretty good! Do you thoughts if I comply with you on Twitter? Thanks!

Garden Oil Lamps on June 25, 2013 at 6:06 am
  9. I know these designers!! And they are great!! What a treat of a project! Bravo ladies!!

bethanyd28594 on July 29, 2013 at 8:45 pm
  10. I'm not really a "poster" or "blogger" but have been waiting for the full reveal of the Blog Cabin and I must say that it is fabulously incredible. Your designers, Emily Guthrie, Jody Wiener and Kathy Guthrie are and were outstanding. The house is stunning. While my husband and I live in California, our only son, soon to be married, lives, went to grad school and works in North Carolina. It would be so amazing to be fortunate enough to become the care taker for this breath-taking property. Thank you for the opportunity.

L_Grisham-Ousdahl on July 31, 2013 at 7:45 pm