May 25

Meet the Interior Designers

From left: Emily Guthrie, Jody Wiener and Kathy Guthrie

Morehead City-based interior designer Emily Guthrie and business partner Kathy Guthrie (no relation but great friends since grade school) got a call from the local chamber urging the duo to show up at a casting call of sorts. Blog Cabin 2013 project manager Dylan Eastman was hosting a meet-and-greet in search of an interior designer. “We made an appointment to meet with Dylan on a Friday at 5 because usually no one does anything after Friday at 5,” says Emily. They met for dinner and talked about the remodeling project, their design philosophies and more. Having Dylan’s undivided attention paid off: Emily and team got the job and quickly became immersed in the world of Blog Cabin.

Emily brings to the table a background in both fashion and interior design. The Morehead City native owned two women’s clothing boutiques before making the transition to interior design — initially working with her husband, a builder, to stage spec homes. Armed with three storage units filled with furnishings and accessories, Emily decided to open her own 1400-square-foot design shop in 2011 and relocated to her current, larger location in October 2012. Her customer base reaches as far afield as Topsail Beach (a two-hour drive from Morehead City), and she stands apart, she says, for her unusual take on the classics. Walking the High Point Furniture Market each season keeps her vision fresh. “If we like the design of a piece and it’s out of the norm, we will buy it. We like to start our own trends” she says. “We find that when everyone else has the same look it loses its charm, so we try to buy the things that nobody else has.”

Jody Wiener, a graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, joined the team shortly after Emily opened her first shop and offers a contemporary lens that Emily relies on. “She’s helped me take it to another level,” Emily says. Jody has clocked in endless hours at Blog Cabin, creating style boards for each space, interpreting the show hosts’ vision for rooms, decorating and, when necessary, painting furnishings.

Emily describes the overarching design aesthetic at Blog Cabin 2013 as “coastal casual.” “It’s got a nice mix of industrial, recycled and reused elements with a very cool palette. It’s very relaxing,” says Jody.
Ready to renovate your own historic gem? The duo offers up advice, based largely on their experience at Blog Cabin. “Be willing to make mistakes,” says Emily. “Sometimes you are so afraid of making a mistake that you don’t do anything. So try it.”

“Take your time and be open-minded,” adds Jody. “And look at things outside of the box: Take an old piece of furniture and don’t just paint it but change its purpose. And, above all, don’t throw out your shutters.”

1. Glad to meet the designers and proud that they are fellow North Carolina Tarheels!! Cannot wait to see their work in the Blog Cabin…Also, Kudos to all the other DIY Design Teams that were involved in the restoration of this home.<3

Maria on May 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm
  2. Mary, Great introduction to the designers!

Kathy & Emily,
    Looking forward
    to seeing what wonderful ideas
    you two ladies
    bring to this year's
    amazing Blog cabin!

Lester B. on May 26, 2013 at 10:17 pm
  3. I can't read 2nd page of comments…help, thanx!

Ethel on May 27, 2013 at 3:37 am
  4. If the picture of the designers among the things in their shop is any indication of how the cabin will look then I can hardly wait. I love that they are local. Thanks in advance for all your hard work and great ideas.

flashy on May 27, 2013 at 9:29 am
    • My thoughts exactly, Flashy!:DB)<3 kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm
  5. Today is Memorial Day; the day when we as a nation should be honoring those who died in service to their country and it's freedoms. Pick any day (especially, November 11th) to thank a Veteran for their service, but today belongs to those who paid the ultimate price for us; honor them today.

DGustaf on May 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    • I agree with everything you've said!!! I thank a Veteran everyday–I'm married to him…

Tisha Stanley on May 29, 2013 at 9:33 am
    • God bless him, Tisha! And YOU! My hubby's a Veteran too! and our son is in the Army at Ft. Campbell KY.! Has 3 terms combat in Afghanistan and Iraq. xD^_^<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 30, 2013 at 1:18 pm
  6. We appreciate you all at Blog Cabin 2013 you are doing AMAZING things for a very lucky person. Thanks so much. Blessings and Godspeed to our soldiers those who have passed and those who are still on the planet. May you all be healed from your toils.

nGratitude on May 27, 2013 at 3:16 pm
  7. Thank you Mary for showing us the designers. Welcome Emily and Jody to the Blog Cabin DIY world. Can not wait to see what you did at our new Home. Wish you the very best.
    Today is a very special day as we remember those that sacrificed to give us the freedom to live in a free country. And thanks to those who have served, and those still away from their loved ones to keep us free. Remembering all of them in my prayers. May God bless America.

Nan on May 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm
  8. In forever Gratitude…May God Bless America, even as our Forefathers sought and prayed! Love to all Bloggies!:)^_^<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 27, 2013 at 8:19 pm
    • Hi Kitty:)
      Hope all is well with you. I have been absent-very busy. Just checking in quick to see what has transpired since my last check. Can't wait to enter. I am glad to see that it will be easy to install the much needed screens for the porches.
      I hope you and family are safe from all the strange weather this country is having:( So sad out in the mid-west:( My heart just aches from seeing the devastation there and else where in this country-so much damage and loss of life:(
      Stay dry too-we are having pouring rain here in Central NY and lots of wind this year:(
      God Bless wishing you well:)<3

ruffybc on June 7, 2013 at 9:24 am
  9. Wow I can't wait to see what they have done to the BC! Don't forget to remember our troops! God Bless. Much Love!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Rebecca on May 27, 2013 at 9:13 pm
  10. I have not blogged in awhile. My dear disabled husband has taken his own life. Nothing has any meaning for me right now. I keep asking God. I keep trying to accept this. Things in our country are so difficult right now, for all of us. I hope that someone finds a blessing from the cabin and from the blogs, and I want to thank DIY for giving me an extended family for awhile. God bless us. God bless America. God bless our dear loved ones who have departed.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 28, 2013 at 5:13 am
    • Dear Brook, I am so sorry for Your lose…I have been thinking about You often these last few weeks and have missed You. I wondered why You haven't chimed in…I am so Sorry! Please know We are here for you and know that God will see You through this terrible time and that Your Dear Husband is no longer in pain..
      Please keep in touch and don't leave the BC, We are your Friends and blogging will help you get through the
      days to come..We Care<3<3<3^_^

Jennie/Florida on May 28, 2013 at 7:54 am
    • Dear Jennie, You are always so good and kind with your comments, and I do appreciate them. Thank you. Today I had to go to the funeral home to pick up the cremains and death certificate. It has been such a hard thing to endure, and yet I do know it wasn't about me, but about my husband and his illnesses. Still, I am the one picking up the pieces without him. I am grateful to have so many good people praying for me, and I know I will always be loved. Thank you.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:02 am
    • (((((a hug for Dear Brookwood))))). I am so very sorry for your loss. May God comfort you all. Please continue to post here, OK? We care about you. I remember the tender support the people from another blog gave to me when my son died a few years ago. Their kindness kept me company during those first empty days and weeks. (((((Dear Brookwood))))).

LesleyJoy on May 28, 2013 at 9:16 am
    • Thank you. I am so alone right now. Things that gave me so much pleasure have no interest for me right now. Thank God that my daughters came together and helped as much as they could, but with grown children, a mother can't expect too much time, for they have families of their own. This year was my first real blog and I had begun to know each name with a personality, and even with life experiences, and I was blessed by it. It's hard to sleep, and being able to check on the blog is such a gift. Thank you for your honest comments. I will check back as I can, but I know it won't be often, since I have so much to do right now, but I want the other bloggers to know how much I miss them too.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:07 am
    • (((((Dear Brookwood))))) You are not alone. But your heart is broken. When a leg is broken, we put a cast on it. The cast holds all the broken pieces together so that it can mend. Your heart is broken. Let family and friends and God act like a 'cast' for your heart. They will hold the broken pieces of your life together. One day you will be healed from the pain and isolation you now feel. If you must, go ahead and sit down in the ashes of your life. We will sit with you. Then, when you are ready, stand up and walk. We will walk with you. The way may be dark and sere for a long time. But you are not alone – and the sun will shine again one day. (((((Dear Brookwood)))))

LesleyJoy on May 30, 2013 at 8:48 am
    • <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

540sam on May 28, 2013 at 9:47 am
    • This made me smile through the tears. Yes, I do know I am loved, but I keep wondering about my veteran, taking his life at such a time, wondering why, what I didn't do, what I did do, but knowing in the end it was only what he had inside that made him let go, and not anything I did. But it's hard. Thank you for the love. I will try to keep checking back, but I have to be very busy for awhile. I will be thinking of the bloggers here, and hoping that they will receive blessings each and every one. Thank you.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:11 am
    • Dear Brook, it is nothing you did or didn't do. Our lives are filled with with unanswered questions that will never be answered in our lifetime. Feel good in the fact that you gave your love and attention while he was here, I'm sure that made his heart full and heavy at the same time. LOVE: SAM(fellow vet)<3

540sam on May 30, 2013 at 5:27 am
    • Brook, hugs and prayers are going your way. Sorry for your loss.

Trish on May 28, 2013 at 11:06 am
    • Thank you Trish. I can use all the prayers I can get. It has been a roller-coaster of emotions for me, and for the last two days, I have been angry. I try not to be, but it seems such a waste to throw away happiness, but then I think maybe the happiness wasn't enough to deal with his pain. I am glad that DIY has given me the chance to connect with others in a way I never have, and I do feel the love. I am still alone, but when a person is being prayed for, the peace does come. I know I am being held up right now so I won't fall away from the people who love me too. Thank you.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:15 am
    • Brook, I keep thinking about you, wishing I could somehow help, but coming up short except to tell you that I care and will keep thinking of you and praying that God and your friends help you get through this. I already know you are strong to have raised three daughters alone, and you can get through this and one day feel joy again. The best advise I can offer is that everything you feel is O.K. There is no "right" way to feel right now, so don't be alarmed or ashamed at feeling things like anger. Also please be honest with your doctor, as appropriate medication may well help you to sleep, etc. Most people need temporary help sleeping when they are grieving, that doesn't mean they are not strong. Also, are there any suicide/ grieving/spouse groups in your area? This terrible tragedy may happen more often than one would think. Many years ago my husbands brother took his own life. It may help to talk with others who have themselves personally dealt with this heartbreak, and you may even be able to help someone else get through this. Don't worry Dear about replying to our posts right now. I and others will be right here at this site happy to welcome you back when you are ready. Sending you love and hugs across the miles, your blogger buddy, Sandy<3<3<3

SID on May 31, 2013 at 10:22 am
    • Sorry to hear about your husband. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I truly hope you find peace! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 28, 2013 at 11:11 am
    • Dear Rebecca, I am holding on, allowing others to do for me, and hoping one day I will be strong enough to do for myself again. They don't say, 'Mom you're old' but they say, 'you're more fragile now' and try to convince me to do a vacation hop for the rest of my days, visiting each one for a few months of each year. It is an option. Thank you for the message, and for the thoughts, and I do appreciate your kindness. Thank you.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:18 am
    • Praying that the Holy Spirit will comfort you and your family as only He can do!

grswla on May 28, 2013 at 12:56 pm
    • I am open, praying for blessings for my husband, that his soul be taken up and his torture ended. We have all cried so much, wondered why so much, but no answers are coming from this world. I will always miss him. I am so thankful for my children and grandchildren, and for all the kind people who are praying for me now. Thank you.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:20 am
    • Dear Brookwood, I am so very sorry. Words can't really help much now, but I wish so much I could hug you! You are cared about here very much, so please don't leave us. Remember here you have friends from all over the country, and we do care about you. Some of us have also gone through terrible heartbreak and loss, and know only time can heal. Dear, right now don't even try to understand or make any sense of what has happened. Sometimes life can just throw terrible things at us. What we cannot see is the future, and what wonderful blessings still lie ahead for us. I wish you many, many joys and blessings ahead. Love and hugs, Sandy<3<3<3

SID on May 28, 2013 at 2:19 pm
    • Dear Sandy, You are right, right now nothing makes sense. I came back to the campsite where we were staying after having been gone about four hours to have dinner with my daughter and get a shower. It was as if he had vanished, left everything neatly folded and taken care of. He was found in nearby woods the next night. This makes no sense. In a way I think he thought I might be better off without him, but how could anyone ever think that. On the day it happened, I found 3 4-leaf clovers, and I remember telling my husband I was expecting 3 special blessings that day. Afterwards, I knew the three blessings were my three daughters. Thank you for the message, and I will keep checking back, but I don't have much time right now to be at the computer. At night, when the others are asleep, I can go online. This is a blessing for me to be able to talk with the bloggers, who know me but have no emotional expectations of me. I am grateful that I was blogging this year. Thank you.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:27 am
    • I am so sorry for your loss. Brook, please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and with God's love and grace you will get through this terrible time. God keep you, Much love. Judy

JudyInMich on May 28, 2013 at 4:01 pm
    • Dear Judy, Thank you for the prayers, and for the kind words. Only God's love will get me through this. I lost my husband and the life we had, and soon I will have to take on the whole process of finding an attorney to help me get through the other things. I know I will come out on the other side. Please keep me in your prayers, and keep my husband David in your prayers too. I need them, but he needs them more. I have tried to give him peace, but that is not mine to give, and now he is with God. As are we all. I just have to hold on and face tomorrow. Thank you.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:30 am
    • Brookwood, Words can't express how sorry I am to hear of your loss. I lost my hubby 24 years ago, but can still feel the pain when I hear that someone has just lost theirs. Time will heal. Don't leave us.. come back and talk with us when you are ready. <3<3Boo

Boo on May 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm
    • Dear Boo, I raised my three daughters alone, and had only been married for a little over 5 years, and I thought we would stay together until the end. I guess my blessing was the time I got to spend with him, and of course, my daughters who took time out of their lives to come and be with me during the process. Even though I am the mom, I can call them when I really need to. All of my family is gone now, except for my children and grandchildren, so being able to talk with others here is almost like talking to family. I need to let others go on and not worry about me. I know I am loved. I know I will get through this, but I don't know if this empty feeling will ever heal. There is literally a hole in my heart. Nobody can see it, but I know God will fill it, and is lifting me up right now to keep me safe. Thanks for all your comments, Boo. I am grateful for them.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:36 am
    • Dear, Dear Brook, My heart is broken for you! I just read your post (haven't been on the blog much, also) and can't begin to find the words to let you know how Special you are to me and to this Blog! You are one of us, so when you hurt, so do we. Please,please don't make any big decisions right now and stay with us! If we could just embrace you from all over this imperfect-but -the best-that -we've-got -Land, and show you that we care and are here for you~~we would physically do so. For myself, I know.~~This bunch of Faithful Bloggies has seen me through extremely difficult , life-changing times and been a Dear Source of encouragement. I want~We want to be the same for you! It's hard to understand how and why things happen, such as what you have and are experiencing. By now you've surely heard from friends and loved ones who have tried to share words of Comfort and Hope. While life may seem empty and hopeless for now, with each new day, you will become stronger in Spirit, as I'm sure Your Precious husband wished for you! You, more than anyone, Knew your Husband's loving perspectives, and somewhere, sometime, he would have urged you to be strong and go forward, right? Hold onto that abiding LOVE which you two shared, for nobody can take THAT from you! I can't possibly know what your Hubby tried to communicate with you, but, as one who has also been (twice before) and now, again, a caregiver, I do know those sho_ es and the weight that they carry. YOU, Brookwood, have meaning and substance and you're here for a reason! While you have a huge plateful, at present, God KNOWS your deepest thoughts, for He made you, and He is with you, to help you carry this! Across the miles, I send you much love and a supportive shoulder for you to let those tears out. I'm praying that the Prince of Peace~~the One who loves our souls, will surround you with Comfort, Strength and Hope for each new day! My personal contact info is on the intensedebate link, which you can find if you click on my picture/avatar. Oh, how I care! I know grief far better than I wish…Let us on the Blog walk through this together, and if you'd like a more private contact, please let me know how I can be there for you! You are Precious and have a huge heart…. Hold on, dear Friend, and let us hold onto you. Lovingly, your Bloggie Buddy, Kitty<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm
    • Dear Kitty, I will see if I can understand the way to get your information, but please know I appreciate you, and I have learned to love the bloggers, and you, Miss Kittly. It sounds as if you do know the hardship and the rewards of caring for someone else. The hard part is, having that life ripped apart. If I had had time to grieve and anticipate this act, it wouldn't have shaken me up so much. I was at his side, 24/7. Now I am all alone. Physically, things are changing so fast. I will need to move. I will be the one paying the bills and deciding what to eat, where to go. I would never have wanted these changes. I wanted to be his strength. Now as ever, I am back to handling these things alone. I have lost all of my immediate family other than my children and grandchildren, and with each loss comes the realization that one day my own children will be facing the loss of their mother too. I guess I am as saddened by not giving them all what they deserved as by losing my husband, but I do know that only God can lift me out of this. I will continue to seek guidance and be open to love. Right now, it feels like it is all washing off of me, and I am still standing under the shower of blessings, not able to feel them, or anything, yet grateful for them, and for you, and for all the others who have written to me. Thank you, and I ask God's blessing on you, too. Thank you.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 30, 2013 at 5:47 am
    • Dear Brookwood, Sounds as though you are feeling numb right now. Shock, disbelief, even abandonment and, maybe some anger. Grief and the discovery of all this loss and trauma happening as though in a bundle, launched at you, is hard to sift through! What you have wisely described above to each Bloggie who has written to you is a very natural part of the grief process. It is OK to have and go through an entire gamut of feelings, when you have experienced something so shocking –and feel left so alone. You are allowed to feel all the mixed feelings you're going through, Brook, so please be gentle and kind to yourself now! David may have reached a point at which he couldn't stand the pain, both inside and out. Knowing that he felt he needed to go, no doubt, he made his peace with God, so you can rest that matter into the Lord's hands. God saw his heart and motives, and welcomed David HOME! Please don't fret that part, whether David is at peace with the Lord~~I believe the Lord KNEW and understood what David chose~~and welcomed David into his rest. I feel certain in my heart, Brookwood, that David is WITH the Lord and not separated from Him. Does this make a tad of sense? Some people have questions about such a departure; Brook, i think David reached a point where he, somehow, felt, perhaps, he was a burden to you and longed for relief from the pain he carried. You said David was a veteran~~what a dear, unselfish GIFT David gave our Nation! Whatever David experienced during his service as a Military Man may have also weighed heavy upon him. If David was sent to war, the ravages and memories of that don't go away, either. Whether David was career Military or Served for a season, there's a huge impact. My hubby is a Vietnam Vet and after ALL these years, it still hurts. I know that you gave and gave for 5 years or more with your dear husband; and, wished you could have some part in David's healing, if only giving him the joy of LOVE, Companionship and Acceptance. You really did all of that, so there's nothing that you left out. The Bible says, "there's a time and place for everything under Heaven…" Yes, even this. David is free, try to take some baby steps to accept that and to KNOW, that He is safe, pain-free, whole, a new body, in the Presence of Jehovah God. Please try to not rush things and decisions, such as moving. Keep eating healthily for your own strength. You mentioned consulting a lawyer. They can especially help, if there are major estate or legal issues. May I suggest that you seek, for now, instead, the guidance of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). I'm married to one so I have familiarity with what a dedicated, sensitive CFP can do to guide you through the mire of immediate and future decisions…. Google Your local area for CFP near you. Check out their websites, including how they come across to you, in terms of sensitivity and are NOT transaction-oriented. These CFPs are sworn and committed to the client, are far more cost-effective and have been trained to help you sift through those decisions, including when you may need an attorney to work with you. Seek one with 10-20 years' experience. I mean, honestly, Brook, this guidance will answer LOTS of questions, before any legal counsel is needed. I'm not saying you don't need a lawyer. They can help you loads, especially with drawing up papers and legal questions. A CFP knows life/going on concepts, which will help you make your choices in a time-sensitive manner. A good CFP is not there to cost you or ask you to invest money at this time. They're educated about the very things you are experiencing, and spending money right now seems to be the last thing you need to do. That's likely the first step, besides being gentle with yourself. This post has gotten long~~hope it prints. My email address is; pathcorp@earthlink.net. I'm home most of everyday, and will look for any contact from you, should you so choose. Either way, know that we Bloggies are here. You ARE loved~~and you are human! Allow yourself some time to grieve, and know we're here for you. Lovingly always, Kitty:o:|<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 30, 2013 at 12:57 pm
    • So very sorry for your loss Brookwood. We can not understand why such a tragic thing would happen. Sometimes as close as we think we are to someone we do not know just what that person feels inside ,down deep. Pain can be so difficult , even just being unable to live the life hoped for can make it difficult day by day. I pray that you may find peace and rest and that your dear husband is also at peace knowing that our Heavenly Father takes care of us. my best to you-

Nan on May 30, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    • Brook, I am so sorry for your pain (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Brook))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

karenlin91 on May 31, 2013 at 6:19 am
    • I am sorry for your loss.It's very tough going from active to being disabled as I am in the same boat now.Some people have a hard time asking or conveying for help when times are tough.Hope your daughters can help ease your lost some.

TonyE on June 1, 2013 at 12:02 am