May 25

Meet the Interior Designers

From left: Emily Guthrie, Jody Wiener and Kathy Guthrie

Morehead City-based interior designer Emily Guthrie and business partner Kathy Guthrie (no relation but great friends since grade school) got a call from the local chamber urging the duo to show up at a casting call of sorts. Blog Cabin 2013 project manager Dylan Eastman was hosting a meet-and-greet in search of an interior designer. “We made an appointment to meet with Dylan on a Friday at 5 because usually no one does anything after Friday at 5,” says Emily. They met for dinner and talked about the remodeling project, their design philosophies and more. Having Dylan’s undivided attention paid off: Emily and team got the job and quickly became immersed in the world of Blog Cabin.

Emily brings to the table a background in both fashion and interior design. The Morehead City native owned two women’s clothing boutiques before making the transition to interior design — initially working with her husband, a builder, to stage spec homes. Armed with three storage units filled with furnishings and accessories, Emily decided to open her own 1400-square-foot design shop in 2011 and relocated to her current, larger location in October 2012. Her customer base reaches as far afield as Topsail Beach (a two-hour drive from Morehead City), and she stands apart, she says, for her unusual take on the classics. Walking the High Point Furniture Market each season keeps her vision fresh. “If we like the design of a piece and it’s out of the norm, we will buy it. We like to start our own trends” she says. “We find that when everyone else has the same look it loses its charm, so we try to buy the things that nobody else has.”

Jody Wiener, a graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, joined the team shortly after Emily opened her first shop and offers a contemporary lens that Emily relies on. “She’s helped me take it to another level,” Emily says. Jody has clocked in endless hours at Blog Cabin, creating style boards for each space, interpreting the show hosts’ vision for rooms, decorating and, when necessary, painting furnishings.

Emily describes the overarching design aesthetic at Blog Cabin 2013 as “coastal casual.” “It’s got a nice mix of industrial, recycled and reused elements with a very cool palette. It’s very relaxing,” says Jody.
Ready to renovate your own historic gem? The duo offers up advice, based largely on their experience at Blog Cabin. “Be willing to make mistakes,” says Emily. “Sometimes you are so afraid of making a mistake that you don’t do anything. So try it.”

“Take your time and be open-minded,” adds Jody. “And look at things outside of the box: Take an old piece of furniture and don’t just paint it but change its purpose. And, above all, don’t throw out your shutters.”

1. Really? 2in 2 days. Mary must have been reading everyone's teary pleas and decided to jump in and give the bloggers a sensory overload.:'(:)

540sam on May 26, 2013 at 5:03 am
  2. Have a good Memorial Day!

540sam on May 26, 2013 at 5:05 am
  3. Emily, Jody, and Kathy did one of you happen to check to see if the Chifforobe from the HGTV Home Furniture collection would fit in the Blog Cabin foyer or mudroom spaces? It's dimensions are 53" wide, 19" deep and 58" tall. What a beautiful pierce of furniture, now that's classic cottage chic decor that can store! Any of the pieces from the Water's Edge Collection would look lovely in this home. The Chifforobe is just my favorite piece from the collection :) http://www.hgtvhomefurniture.com/Bedroom-KZ500-KY

Mel on May 26, 2013 at 8:02 am
    • Thanks for the link, Mel. I really like that piece as well. Who knows, maybe it is sitting in the BC right now. Cannot wait to see the Big Reveal!!!!! xD

nanaofsix on May 26, 2013 at 11:11 am
  4. Nice to "meet" the designers, but some of us are impatient to see their work; the wait is long, too long, from completion to show time. Thankfully, there are snippets of the visual impact in the background of the many photos we've been favored with.

DGustaf on May 26, 2013 at 10:01 am
  5. Mary, thank you for a wonderful distraction. My visitors left this morning…it is nice to meet the designers of the BC. Looking forward to some interior pics and video!

Wishing everyone a wonderful Memorial weekend!

Trish on May 26, 2013 at 10:23 am
  6. Mary really did give us voters & bloggers a sweet Memorial Day weekend gift. I posted this link on page two of the last thread. Perhaps as you view these videos you can imagine how the designers might have worked their interior design magic.
    Sweet Mary might do a proper "Blog" acknowledgement of these videos in the near future with a link so no one misses them, but if you don't want to wait until then go ahead and have a look now. I have watched these wonderfully made videos over & over and I enjoy them more and more with each viewing

Mel on May 26, 2013 at 11:24 am
    • Hi Mel,
      Just wanted to say, Thank You for the link to the videos! So glad you posted it:) I watched them over and over too, looking to see what I may have missed! :) Enjoyed them very much, Thanks Again. Can't wait to see the finished home.. Loved that they are reusing the hand pump. Unique way to get the sand off one's feet!.
      Take Care, Hope all is well! Have you done anymore remodeling?
      Thanks Again,
      Windee :) <3

Windee :) on May 31, 2013 at 8:26 pm
    • Hi Windee,
      Nice to see you back on the blog!!

Yes me and hubby have a major DIY project we are gearing up for, redoing our Master Bedroom and bath. We are having the hardest time with picking out a vanity, tile and flooring. Eventually we will find something we love and move forward.
      Best of Luck in the BC giveaway Windee, you would love the area….so peaceful, historical and beautiful !

Mel on June 2, 2013 at 7:54 am
  7. Delighted to see new designers coming into the limelight. Their finished work will be anxiously awaited. Several things impressed me in their approach including the advice to "take your time". There was an inclusion of one thing that made me skeptical, though. That was the comment about including the right amount of "industrial" touches. IMHO this is not the project for industrial touches. It's history was not attached to anything industrial. Rural, agricultural, nautical, natural, yes but not industrial. The cable rail on the porch is an example of how little industrial fits here and it takes effort to tone down the effect so it does not seem out of place. I keep trying to tell myself it could be nautical as on the deck of a ship but my eyes keep relaying to my brain the message "out of place".

Grammagail on May 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    • Hi Gail. I have to agree with you on that railing. The home and landscaping is so beautiful I hate to find any fault, but have to admit that the cable rail also really strikes a note of discord with me. I know it is very trendy today, but this just isn't the place for fads. JMO=/ . This is one of those cases where I would prefer traditional railings even if the would block the view just a teeny tiny bit!B)

SID on May 26, 2013 at 1:47 pm
    • Hi Sid and Gail, I'm with you on the industrial Railings…I'm sure everyone knows by now I haven't liked them from the start as they were installing it..I think it was a bad decision,.but it's done now and no turning back…Just hope the Winner will like it, if not, they can add things to tone down the wire/post by painting it white and add rope or randomly hang sea shells, star fish, coral and other beachy items on the wire to take the attention away from the shiny look..I would add white rope lights especially on the balcony!!.B)o.0^_^
      I remember on the old Cottage porch, when We Bloggers saw the photos the first time, I know I didn't even notice the screen blocking the view because I loved the screened porch and wicker furniture and swing, so if they had added a traditional white railing and post to the new balcony I would have been happy..If the view had been blocked a little, I would stand up or go outside and sit in the beautiful yard, that would solve the problem..I don't think the view would have been block that much!! Sooo We just have to go on and except it.is, what it is!!! o.0^_^:pB)<3 Have a Great Memorial Day Tomorrow B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 26, 2013 at 5:56 pm
    • HI, may I join you, Grammagail, SID and Jennie? I have tried winking my way around it, visualizing it painted white and, tried to imagine a cover for the industrial cable rail and brown-colored banisters. Can't yet speak to anything else that may have an industrial protruding "bump" look on it, but this GORGEOUS, ETHEREAL BEACH escape just knocks my visual field into unharmonious, jarring twinges. I'm very sincerely sorry, Friends, that my taste sensibilities may only agree with the exterior traditional design part!!! On the whole though, this literal rebuild is a Haven of Beauty that anyone would be so blessed to win~~and I STILL want a Bloggie to WIN it! :D :p From Scripps, which bought the place, through Dylan Eastman, who has designed, coordinated and overseen this phenomenal Project~~to Chris, Roby Construction and all the magnificently delightful, talented DIY and HGTV Program Designers/ Stars~and NOT to forget all the wonderful talented Bloggie input~~I am beyond amazed, yes, even stunned, that I am hopelessly in love with this Place!!!xD<3 OK. I confess it! The property is drawing me like a humongous MAGNET! AHA!!! That's what it is: the steel cable rails~~it's ALL their fault! Can't control that metallic attraction… or is my metal detector fixated upon a BIG BURIED TRUNK OF GOLD, somewhere in that NC get-away??? o.0:*B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 29, 2013 at 8:26 pm
    • I agree wholeheartedly on the railings. Painting the rails white would help. Perhaps draping some fishnet and some shells,etc. might help.

JudyInMich on May 30, 2013 at 7:48 am
    • That's a good idea, Judy! Definitely painting them… I like the fishnet concept–like being always prepared–and not so far to go to use it! I smell fish and hush-puppies fry already! The rest is amazing–I say, one wart on the log isn't too bad to live with, don't you?!;)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 30, 2013 at 1:13 pm
  8. Miss the web cam very much. Can't figure the reason for taking it down. It gave no hint to what is happening on the inside. I'm not alone with this disappointment. Please reconsider!

Norm on May 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm
  9. Nice to meet the designers!!

Blog friends….we got into NC (my brothers home) at 1:30 am so we didn't stop at the Cabin….but if you want to see my pics, I have them on facebook—stanle726@morrisville.edu We still have to head back home so there is still hope….

TishaStanley on May 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm
    • Hi Tisha, I couldn't connect to your FB!!! I hope you still get a chance for Photos…The Entrance Way??? Anything is better than nothing…Right? Have they taken the Security gate down and installed a permanent one? Have a Safe trip Home!!! ^_^

Jennie/Florida on May 28, 2013 at 9:57 am
    • Tisha, I too couldn't access the pictures. Hope your having a good time. Have a safe trip. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on May 30, 2013 at 1:47 am
    • I couldn't connect either.:(<3:D

JudyInMich on May 30, 2013 at 7:36 am
  10. The suspense is killing me!!!

BarbaraT on May 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm