May 25

Meet the Interior Designers

From left: Emily Guthrie, Jody Wiener and Kathy Guthrie

Morehead City-based interior designer Emily Guthrie and business partner Kathy Guthrie (no relation but great friends since grade school) got a call from the local chamber urging the duo to show up at a casting call of sorts. Blog Cabin 2013 project manager Dylan Eastman was hosting a meet-and-greet in search of an interior designer. “We made an appointment to meet with Dylan on a Friday at 5 because usually no one does anything after Friday at 5,” says Emily. They met for dinner and talked about the remodeling project, their design philosophies and more. Having Dylan’s undivided attention paid off: Emily and team got the job and quickly became immersed in the world of Blog Cabin.

Emily brings to the table a background in both fashion and interior design. The Morehead City native owned two women’s clothing boutiques before making the transition to interior design — initially working with her husband, a builder, to stage spec homes. Armed with three storage units filled with furnishings and accessories, Emily decided to open her own 1400-square-foot design shop in 2011 and relocated to her current, larger location in October 2012. Her customer base reaches as far afield as Topsail Beach (a two-hour drive from Morehead City), and she stands apart, she says, for her unusual take on the classics. Walking the High Point Furniture Market each season keeps her vision fresh. “If we like the design of a piece and it’s out of the norm, we will buy it. We like to start our own trends” she says. “We find that when everyone else has the same look it loses its charm, so we try to buy the things that nobody else has.”

Jody Wiener, a graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, joined the team shortly after Emily opened her first shop and offers a contemporary lens that Emily relies on. “She’s helped me take it to another level,” Emily says. Jody has clocked in endless hours at Blog Cabin, creating style boards for each space, interpreting the show hosts’ vision for rooms, decorating and, when necessary, painting furnishings.

Emily describes the overarching design aesthetic at Blog Cabin 2013 as “coastal casual.” “It’s got a nice mix of industrial, recycled and reused elements with a very cool palette. It’s very relaxing,” says Jody.
Ready to renovate your own historic gem? The duo offers up advice, based largely on their experience at Blog Cabin. “Be willing to make mistakes,” says Emily. “Sometimes you are so afraid of making a mistake that you don’t do anything. So try it.”

“Take your time and be open-minded,” adds Jody. “And look at things outside of the box: Take an old piece of furniture and don’t just paint it but change its purpose. And, above all, don’t throw out your shutters.”

1. Thank You Mary for introducing the interior designers of Blog Cabin to us….I feel like I've waited a long time to make their acquaintance.
    I saw both of these pretty ladies on the Cabin Cam working away as the DIY shows were being filmed.

I can't wait to see the inside of the home, "coastal casual" sounds like the perfect design aesthetic for the location.
    As a NC native I love to occasionally travel to High Point and browse the many furniture stores and malls. Lastly, I have to express how grateful I am for the support the NC furniture industry is receiving from the new HGTV furniture line….keeping skilled laborers employed and offering made in America home furnishings. I look forward to seeing some High Point, NC coastal chic in this home!

Mel on May 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm
  2. Where is Jody Wiener? Great to feature the skills of local talent. Pittsburgh native YEH! That's what NC is know for-halfbacks. Northerners went to Florida and then decided to relocate half way back to the north. Can not wait to see the interior. Will they be able to ID which items: Accessories/furnishings were originally from the home and which were new additions? Hope they will be able to talk about some of the items which were kept with the house. Hope this TV/blog exposure helps your business!! Great to have another new post so soon. Thanks Mary!

Ashtabulannie on May 25, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    • LOL Ash ! Honestly I have never called any Northerners "halfbacks" or heard them referred to in that manner. I think you are clever and came up with that terminology on your own, and who knows after being posted on this blog the name might catch on! I do occasionally say, "Y'all", "Bless your heart", and "Well LauuuUUWWLLL" to a Northerner and that usually makes them laugh. I have a twang and a way with words…what can I say?

Mel on May 25, 2013 at 3:46 pm
    • 'Halfbacks' sounds derogatory. But you inspired me to coin 'halfways'. Just as descriptive but has a friendlier ring to it.

KCDigger on May 25, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    • Sorry it's a football term and geographical term. There are so many people from Pittsburgh living in Florida ie Steelers Fans!!! After hurricane season many get fed up and don't necessarily miss the Pittsburgh winters but want something in between. And the Carolina' s are just right. And geographically speaking they are about half way back to Pittsburgh and Philly and NJ. etc. The other half of my family are all from Pittsburgh, Carnegie, Heidelberg, Monroe ville etc. Also many moved to Florida in the 1950's.

Ashtabulannie on May 25, 2013 at 8:30 pm
    • Many people in Pennsylvania have used the term halfbacks. It's just a thing of ours. Maybe other Northern states use it also. Anyway, the blog cabin 2013 is going to be a lovely home. Can't wait to see it all finished. Sure hope we could be blessed with winning it , but if we don't, congrats to that "lucky" winner. Have a great summer everyone!

Brenda on May 26, 2013 at 1:46 am
    • I'm a Northerner…LOL

TishaStanley on May 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm
  3. Very nice to meet you ladies! Is the background behind you all in the picture from your shop….very cool! I'd like to go there sometime and see your collections. Waaay cool!^_^

amberPA on May 25, 2013 at 4:05 pm
  4. Love the color "POP" in the sofa and decor in the foreground! Very Spicey!

amberPA on May 25, 2013 at 4:06 pm
  5. How cruel! We get to meet the designers and not see what they accomplished!
    BTW, I really, really miss the webcam, I am so used to checking it every morning and evening.

KCDigger on May 25, 2013 at 4:40 pm
  6. I love color, please make it coastal, i will enjoy it when i win!. Think postive that's me. I wish I were there to help you ladies along love to decorate and decorate my passion. Maybe some day someone will pick a person in the blog that would have a chance or contest to help from a would like tobe winner point of view. Driftwood, seashell windchime, the sand in glass lamps, lights in old wood hanging by ropes or chains, anyway do it up right it will be great ladies!

sandra loft on May 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm
  7. Well Emily and Kathy, Can't wait to see the inside of the cabin. With a beautiful, serene setting, and the blend of the old and the new i can only imagine what an exciting project this has been for the two of you. Can't wait!!! Becky<3

bythebaydreamer on May 25, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    • Emily, Jody, and Kathy, You are keeping us on "pins and needles". Can't wait to see what you have created for all of us to see. So excited! Becky

bythebaydreamer on May 30, 2013 at 1:53 am
    • Ditto here!!! I just KNOW the BC is going to knock our socks off!!! Clock is ticking…xD:p:*<3 kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 30, 2013 at 1:15 pm
  8. Wow Mary, Thank You so much for a New post sooo Soon!! Love good Surprises like this!
    It's great to meet You Emily and Kathy, You joined a very talented group of people as You probably know by now, including Mr. Eastman….I hope You Ladies enjoyed the Beautiful location and had fun Decorating Our Cozy Little Cottage..It must have been a joy to meet the Host of Blog Cabin "Chris Grundy".and all the Diy Designers!! They do have fun and are very talented too!!
    I love Coastal Casual and I can't wait to see all Your Work…I hope You incorporated a lot of the things that were in the Original Cottage…Nice things that would fit right in …Thank you for joining Our Very Special BC Journey and for making this the best Cozy "Cottage" Yet…^_^:p

Jennie/Florida on May 25, 2013 at 7:24 pm
    • PS, Hi Jody, the way I read the comments above, I didn't realize that was You in the Photo above with Emily,
      I didn't mean to leave you out so want to thank you for your work done at the Cottage!!:p^_^ You were also a big part of the Cottage design and I hope you enjoyed your time at the Cottage"…^_^;):p Can't wait to see what Gurtrie Interiors has done to "Our Beautiful little Cottage" :p^_^:)

Jennie/Florida on May 26, 2013 at 9:04 am
  9. WOW, can't wait to see how you put this all together. Hmmmmmm from the sneak peeks this should be a real treat. Loved all that I saw sooooo far.;)<3<3 Great job Emily, Kathy and Jodi. Thank you!
    Hey were due for a freeze tonight this is global warming at its best. LOL

MaryPA on May 25, 2013 at 9:33 pm
  10. Jody glad to meet another graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I graduated many years ago when I lived in Pitts. That is a great school and really excited to see those creative juices flowing in the Blog Cabin.

Lfinicle on May 25, 2013 at 10:53 pm