May 13

Behind the Scenes: Filming a Blog Cabin Episode

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2013

I had the privilege of being a fly on the wall during the filming of the “Kitchen Crashers” episode of Blog Cabin 2013 (May 4-5). This was my first opportunity to watch the filming of a DIY Network show. What a thrill!

The crew was an absolute delight. Producer Jay Baker greeted me as if I was one of the gang. His big Tennessee smile made me feel immediately at ease. And Chris Grundy and Alison Victoria? Top-notch talent, humble, gracious … and oh so funny. Chris proved a laugh a minute, while Alison, without missing a beat, whipped out the classic comebacks. On-screen chemistry in spades!

Cameras were catching every moment of the ad libs, few of which will hit the cutting room floor, I am sure. The crew muscled through a grey, cold rainy Saturday to capture scenes for a captivating how-to project. Chris and Alison first picked through the reclaimed wood pile and then headed to a makeshift construction area near the dock where they sliced down, then ripped beams for a very cool kitchen furnishing (Hint: It has legs. And don’t be surprised if some matching coasters surface). Cabinet installation followed by a field trip were also on the day’s filming to-do list.

Candid Snaps: Blog Cabin 2013 Location
Candid Pictures of Blog Cabin 2013 Area

I had the opportunity to chat with Jay in between takes. I was fascinated by his creative process and his approach to this year’s episode. “My thought is to always to land at the place, take a look at the environment and figure out a way to involve as much of that environment into the show as possible,” he said. “We are in a special place that people will travel extensively to get to. We all have. So let’s show people why.”

Small kitchen size is a challenge this year, but Jay plans some workarounds; directing such talented hosts definitely helps. “You get someone with Chris’s energy level around someone with Alison’s energy level: They just self motivate. They are great at that. You just try to repeat that over and over and over because that’s why someone at home would want to watch this.”

For Grundy, being the Blog Cabin 2013 master of ceremonies has been a blast from the get-go. Although this year’s home is a tad smaller than the 2012 Maine home, the coastal location, beautiful water views and friendly locals make up for the building challenges. Mutual affection amongst crew members also makes for a stellar experience. “I love working with all the people that are here. I like having fun and all these people make me laugh,” he says. “And Alison Victoria — from the moment she shows up in a boat, everything gets better.”

Note: Although Cabin Cam comes down today, we have alot more to share, including a Q&A with our remodeling experts, an interview with the interior designer and content related to HGTVRemodels.com’s Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package. Stay tuned!

1. There's No denying the yard transformation at the Blog Cabin was BEACHin' !!
    I LOVED it, but
    Gosh darn, folks do look to the DIY network for education and know how. I gotta say something about training grape vines over a pergola that defines a sitting area. BAD idea….here's some basic gardening whys.
    Birds…the smaller the fruit the more they love it !! They don't always finish what they start, so you will have juice dripping onto your outdoor furniture, even if your furniture is scotch guarded, how about your clothes? Take a towel and remember to wipe before you sit, also be mindful of the bird p-o-o-p. Always wear a hat when your under those vines too….just sayin'
    How much do bees love grape juice, which will be created as the grapes are half eaten by the birds, or fall to the ground, or get stepped on, etc… Well bees love the juice as much as the birds love the grapes. You will definitely draw yellow jackets to your sitting area. How will you gather the grapes off of the top of the pergola? Climbing & Moving around a ladder every time you want to gather your grapes? If the winner wants to use a grape dripping pergola to attract birds and bees there is nothing wrong with that…but I believe sitting under it and relaxing will be challenging.
    I Hope my post about the birds and the bees doesn't upset anyone's muscadines growing on my pergola over my sitting area dream! I'd prefer to grow my muscadines in an area a bit back from where I sit.

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 am
    • Mel, I had thought the same thing. I figured that was why the old grape vine was so far from the house, so the bees and yellow jackets would be far away. Grape vines are good to grow on fences,like 4 or 5 feet then you can reach the grapes and keep them trimmed down. Which will be a little hard 8 feet or higher. ivy or honey suckle would be a good vine to grow on a pergola. We had honey suckle growing on a arbor over a gate, and the only thing it attracted was humming birds.

vicki_in_Utah on May 15, 2013 at 8:56 am
    • Vicki we grew muscadines during my childhood, they grew on a split rail fence. As long as they can climb and spread they are Happy! Not to brag but our backyard was landscaped for lots of outdoor living, and my parents knew to plant them away from where we gathered as a family and us kids played.

I was hesitant to bring up this topic, but I thought if someone watching the BC shows or following this blog is led to believe training a grape vine over a sitting area is a good idea because the DIY network is doing it I have to speak up.
      I specifically garden to draw hummingbirds, and I agree with you, drawing them to a sitting area is a marvelous idea!

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 9:31 am
    • I agree Mel and vicki, fragrant roses too would be lovely. Roses might attract honeybees, but those are not as aggressive as wasps and hornets which absolutely love ripening fruit! Ever watch a drunken wasp or bird? ;) ^_^xD Very funny! I used to grow grapevines on three wires strung between simple metal posts spaced out about 1 1/2 foot above ground to about 5 foot high. Easy maintenance for picking and annual pruning maintenance also.

SID on May 15, 2013 at 9:38 am
    • Sid the honeybees need our help! Me and hubby recently started keeping bee boxes, talk about easy, I wish we would have started years ago. They are a wonderful way to make sure your veggie garden is properly pollinated. If the winner wants to have a little veggie garden, plantings that draw honeybees are really beneficial.

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 9:52 am
    • Mel I never thought about that, I am sure others haven't either.
      Couldn't you run a shade cloth across the top of it to keep the grapes from falling in, or bird droppings? That would also give you some extra shade under there. I seen them on some outside area and it looks nice. You can hang it over the beams and have it dips down inside a little to give a different look if you wanted too, rather than just straight across. I am sure you can get the shade cloth in different colors to bighting up the area too.
      Just a thought so that you could still use it when the grapes are in season. http://www.baldwinpergolas.com/viewslideshowimage

home_girl on May 15, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • Homegirl to be honest I wouldn't go to the trouble of a shade cloth. Harvesting of the grapes and maintenance isn't practical at the roof height of the pergola. I would do what other bloggers are suggesting and move the grape vine away from any sitting area, and put it at a height that it is easier to care for.

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 11:26 am
    • home_girl, I agree with Mel, also as the fruit, sticks, leaves and juice fall onto the cloth it will stain, then when the rains come, it could be a big mess.
      Your idea did sound lovely if the grapes were not there.

Eugenia27 on May 15, 2013 at 8:01 pm
    • Mel & Eugenia,
      it was just a thought for those that might like to keep them there, plus help with shade until a natural shade of some kind could filled it in. I think I would move them if all of what is said is true, I wouldn't want to be bite by any bugs either.
      I don't know much about grapes, but do know a little about blackberries and they can be messy if not picked in time. But little worry about that, for birds and animals carry them off fast enough when they ripen, that we have to keep an eye on them if we want any to eat our self.
      Some years we have more than we can eat; so we are happy to share a few with them too.

home_girl on May 16, 2013 at 2:44 am
    • I agree with all the disadvantages of sitting under a grape vine. I would prefer to have a four post grape-vine fence planted elsewhere and then have Confederate Jasmine growing over the Pergola.

pinevalley on May 15, 2013 at 10:33 am
    • Sounds lovely Pinevalley :)

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 11:27 am
    • Totally agree! Our family raised grapes for eating and for homemade wine. Worst bee stings ever! And bird droppings all over the place. Not good, especially as hot as it gets here and as fast as the fruit ripens. You're looking for trouble or, at the very least, an unusable sitting area during spring and summer months. Wouldn't be as bad during the fall and certainly ok during the winter, but not as pretty or as shaded then. The drape idea sounds nice, but you've got to remember to allow for water drainage or you'll have a falling drape — can't make it flat; must have some middle lift to allow water to flow off. Remember that we usually get afternoon rain showers and thunderstorms in the worst heat of the summer here. And who wants to constantly be wiping down the furniture, etc. before sitting a spell? All in all, a sitting area under grape vines (or any other fruit vine or tree area) is a bad idea — more aggravation than it's worth.

Bev on May 15, 2013 at 10:56 am
    • Well said Bev :)

I do love DIY starting the winner off with their own crop of muscadines, it's them being over a seating area that is a BAD idea!

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 11:29 am
    • I agree with everything that has been said. We, too, had grapes growing in our yard, but it was away from the house, also, playing in that area as a child is exactly how I found out I was allergic to bees, hornets, wasps. Not a good idea. But I do love the grapes….

TishaStanley on May 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm
    • Tisha as someone allergic to bees you need to be really careful. :)

I LOVE the rustic pergola and the sitting area, and would only move the grapes. There are plenty of spots in the yard they could be moved to, and it wouldn't be difficult to move them. My hubby and son love muscadines. I'm not that fond of them, unless I'm eating them in my sister-in-law's bread pudding….now that is a delicious summer treat.

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm
    • Got a recipe for that bread pudding??? I would move the grapes so that I'd be able to enjoy the pergola and sitting area. I usually plant for hummingbirds, even have feeders, so I have to be really careful when I'm outside working in the flowers. I don't kill them though, we need them. Even though, if I get stung, someone needs to be fast with the epi-pen!!

TishaStanley on May 15, 2013 at 6:49 pm
    • Tisha I wish I did have my sister-in-law's recipe !!
      Bless her heart, she doesn't share her recipes. She makes a peach crisp I would climb a mountain for. I have asked her for her recipes several times, she gives me a Googled version.
      Oh well, at least she let's me eat some :)

Hummingbirds completely delight me. When I retire I'm going to be a "birder".

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm
    • I thought the exact same thing – I'm surprised I'm only the third thumbs up. Sometimes practicality just has to overrule esthetics.

Ishmael on May 15, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    • Possibly only bloggers that have grown or grow grapes would know this?

I know I learn a lot each year from the bloggers who know construction, and the others that know design.
      In a crowd this size we probably have all types of practical tips we could share.

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 6:03 pm
    • The grape vines are not fruiting yet so I can enjoy it in the spring. When the grapes appear we can move the furniture across the yard to the barbeque where it was to begin with. Wonder if they will keep the seating by the vines or just have one sitting area in the final version. And just what do we do with all the outdoor furniture during hurricane season???

Grammagail on May 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm
    • Gammagail I would store the outdoor furniture as best I could inside the home if a hurricane was heading towards the NC coast, and then I would leave. Proper storage might be a top priority for the winner.

When the BC in Susan, VA was in the path of Hurricane Irene someone went to the home and tied the furniture together and then tied it to the trees. I know everything survived the storm fine. I think the outside bar Matty built blew over, but wasn't hurt. Another blogger may remember better? DIY didn't build a storage shed at that home, or rebuild it's dock. This year we got a rebuilt dock, so things are going more in the direction of blogger requests!

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 6:21 pm
    • Mel and Grammagail, that storm which blew through Matthews, VA and Blog Cabin 2011 was not a strong storm, as i recall. I'm in the same Metro Region and we had heavy rain and high winds but it wasn't that damaging. My greatest concerns, I've expressed before, like a broken record–everybody remember those–I'm surely dating myself– but when a real hurricane or bad Nor'easter hits the coast, there is an ABSOLUTE NEED to put anything that could turn into a projectile away! This includes the BBQ grill, any boat or kayak, all chairs and tables, even cars/trucks. With 2 stories, it would be wise to carry any movable items upstairs to prevent water damage, if storm surge is expected to wash through downstairs. Better to be safe than sorry. NEVER take a storm for granted. I believe this BC , IF they don't surprise us with a wonderful storage/garage~~ will NEED one~~no question! It occurred to me that DIY may be thinking of screening in the outdoor cookout and dining area, rather than that wonderful big porch….Hmmm… Personally, Builder, I really prefer the latter, that is, the porch. I can see, however, the rationale of DIY, screening the outside dining area where the fire pit is and, that's a good area to ALSO be screened, IMHO!!! B):D;)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm
    • RE: the furniture during hurricane season (which can be REEALLLLY long on the east coast!), there are 2 options as there is no sturdy storage building in which to place it on the property. The options are these:
      1) take them inside the house, or
      2) hope you have a nice little "stash o' cash" to replace them after a storm.
      Luckily, the chairs may do ok, and if not, the it's good for the area's economy…there are local folks who make and sell adirondack chairs and matching rustic tables in their front yards! You'll see them as you ride up and down the road.

Bev on May 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    • Since they just were planted they will be small enough to move them in a more practical area.

zulumom on May 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    • Exactly Zulumom :)

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 6:22 pm
    • Hi Mel, and everyone…..I agree, the grapes need to be moved to their own little fence, maybe closer to the sound. The pergola is pretty much away from everything else, so I'm thinking that my wisteria could be kept in control there…It looks so beautiful in the spring and creates plenty of shade;-) I have a whole fence full of honeysuckle and the hummingbirds love it! And the jasmine would be a wonderful cover too! I could sit out there under the pergola with my wine or coffee, and watch the water, go pick muscadines when they are done from their own little fence away from everything else.. As a matter of fact, if the birds like them so much, I would even invest in some kind of cover to keep them from stealing grapes, I had to do that to get any cherries off a tree we used to have .-)

karenlin91 on May 15, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • Jasmine mmmmmmmmm, love it.

540sam on May 15, 2013 at 6:55 pm
    • Karenlin that is where I would move the grapes to also.

Just like you Wisteria has my heart. I love the look and the smell. I squealed with delight when I saw the rustic pergola with the rock base…..I thought the pretty rock ground cover would make it easier to keep wisteria in check.
      All of the blogger suggestions sound lovely, and the winner will probably love having this choice to make. Look how all of us are dreaming of our own choice of vines for the beautiful rustic pergola.

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 7:14 pm
  2. Sure do miss the other camera option with the zoom capability! Want to see "up close and personal" and would like to read the sign left for us.

Bev on May 15, 2013 at 10:59 am
  3. All I want is the water front view. Can we get still pictures which we can download as wallpaper? Here is an idea or you Diy; sale the wallpaper of the water view for 0.99c and you can donate that to the organization that has been chosen this year as beneficiary, or the builder's choice of Feed The Children.

havanera on May 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm
  4. Serenity at it's FINEST! Thank you!

CarlaB on May 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm
  5. Looking good so far. I can't wait to see the hole Blog Cabin complete!!! xD
    For now is there more pic's of the finished docks? I can only find the copple pic's that don't show much!!!

asandmancan on May 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm
  6. It is like losing a best friend with our cam camera and not seeing . But I am glad to have pam camera to see what has been done and the beauty home place. and to look at it and remind me of the BC I've enjoyed everything and everyone. People are so interesting andenjoyed getting to know them and their personalities. I've enjoyed builder, has a lot of common sense to his sayings. And of course all the people involved with the bc. and bloggers Thank you so much. the winner is going to have something so unique and so very special and will be kept busy with everything involed with the home. I to am one of those people who to would love to win the home-I pray every night for that wish. You guys are so very special- love all pix you come up with and I to enjoy water scenes and love dogs enjoying the beach also and I know how much I enjoy water/beach in person. Can't wait to see surprizes like waiting for Christmas

bogartand bacall on May 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm
  7. Yuk, the final view on the Cabin Cam looks very amateurish. The "stone" path viewed in the popular vote was much different than scattered rocks. The "rustic" pergala just looks rough. The yard looks like it needs to be plowed down and rebuilt. The contractors did a great job, but the DIY crew looks like they were busy goofing off and trampling what the builders had created. Once again, something with awesome potential turns out like
    "made from helping hands at home".

UOwinner on May 15, 2013 at 4:22 pm
    • Yea, I see what you mean, if I were you I wouldn't even enter the sweeps stakes.

540sam on May 15, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    • Do you really think saying you like something will help you win?

UOwinner on May 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    • If you don't like it, why enter?

JudyInMich on May 16, 2013 at 8:53 am
    • Are you looking at the same yard I am? I think it looks fantastic. Rustic pergola is what was voted upon and so rustic is what you got. Rustic is synonymous with rough. I would be more than happy to take this cabin as it is now, I love it<3. I guess my standards aren't up to yours:p

Windsmurf on May 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    • Do you really think saying you like something will help you win?
      DD

UOwinner on May 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    • No, just saying if you think DIY messed up that bad, I'm sure you will be terribly disappointed when you see the inside, in my openion they did an outstanding job on the landscaping. Besides if you don't enter it improves my chances of winning.

540sam on May 15, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    • Whoa, Whoa, Whoa…………What are you looking at, to make that comment? The crew did one magnificent job, on a home anyone would adore. If you do not like what you see, you better not even enter when the time comes. Plants need time to develop, like one blogger stated. When it was advertised as a rustic pergola during the voting process, that is what it is….a rustic pergola, surrounded by wonderful plants that will develop into something even more wonderful. One thing about the present solid white rock path, is the fact that the new owner will not have to worry about grass growing between stepping stones. They can be very hard to maintain, unless the stones are recessed with the grass surface, like the path to the outdoor shelter. The white paths really give a distinct appearance to this wonderful home, This site is far from complete, so just bear with everyone, and watch for the final product. Enjoy your day. I have done lots and lots of landscaping, and this is one spectacular production.

Builder on May 15, 2013 at 6:28 pm
    • I think everything is/has been done beautifully, I would not change a thing. It has been so wonderful watching this home from the beginning (and sorrt of awsome all things they did– beginnuing first time for me ) Looking back at the home before rebuilt it is mindbloggleling-hard to see or imagining what has gone on. You have every right to complament your guys/gals for theiir hard and beautiful work. I can not wait to see finishing touches and I would be proud to call this my home Again Thank you

bogartand bacall on May 15, 2013 at 10:56 pm
    • I'm going to agree about the path. The path looks fine but this is a barefoot kind of place and gravel and bare feet don't go well together.

Ishmael on May 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    • I agree and the gravel will end up in the grass and loose piece will go flying when you cut the grass. I would have chosen something else.

zulumom on May 16, 2013 at 4:44 pm
    • This isn't so bad Ishmael a lot use crushed oyster shells, it's free.:)

540sam on May 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    • 540sam- I echo your comments 100%.

Builder on May 15, 2013 at 6:30 pm
    • You go Builder!!! Thank you! xDB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm
    • Thanks Kitty. After all the work that has gone into this home, there is no reason for anyone to give negative comments. If some folks do not like what was done, they do not have to watch, plus they do not have to enter the contest the end of July. I will stick up for all carpenters designers, builders, landscapers, etc. I am sure most of the bloggers will support my comments. This has been one terrific production, and everyone would be very proud of the end results. Enjoy your evening. :) :):):)

Builder on May 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    • You have been a breath of fresh air to this bunch of Bloggies, Builder! I can speak for myself, but also believe that I can speak for most of our Wonderful Bloggies, that you have added fun, intrigue and spirited discussion amongst us! I've met so many great individuals on this DIY Blog and am both grateful and loyal to DIY, HGTV and SCRIPPS for providing this medium for exchange of ideas and creative learning. It's such a treat, with my background to be able to keep alive many parts of my past stomping grounds. Thank you for being a part of it! NOW, Builder, are you going to 'fess up??? Who are you, REALLY? Are you Robbie? Are you Chris Grundy???:pB)xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm
    • Nope, Nope, and still, Nope. I am just me, a hardworking craftsman, builder, electrician, plumber, landscaper, but most of all, a pretty normal guy who has experienced almost anything imaginable in the construction business. In my lifetime, I have been down in the trenches installing drain fields, leveling dirt, planting flowers, planting trees, unrolling sod (green side up), and most everything else that could possibly be in involved in building , remodeling, or landscaping my home, and many others.

Once again, thanks so very much for your great comments. I appreciate your support very ,very much. By being in the building business, I have learned a lot in my lifetime, and try to share my own actual experiences. After all, experience is the very best teacher. Not everything can be learned out of a book. On top of that it takes, most of all, common sense, and………..PATIENCE. Good night, and have a fabulous week.

Builder on May 15, 2013 at 8:15 pm
    • LOL, you had to put that PATIENCE in there, didn't you? Seriously, I thank you too for sharing your experiences, and knowledge, and for the calming influence ;-)

karenlin91 on May 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm
    • I for one will miss you. Your insights and knowledge wonderful Would love to know who you are to give a personal thank you, if you don't want to let us know that's ok nothing different-still will be a big hug and thank you

bogartand bacall on May 15, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    • Thanks builder ! I second all the positive voices for you. This has been a very positive experience for me and have enjoyed all the comments. Have a great day . best to all as we wait for the views of the inside to start of this terrific Blog Cabin for a lucky winner. Nan

Nan on May 16, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    • Builder, whoever you are it has been great blogging with you. Thank you for all your insight, helpful comments and most of all blog friendship<3

SID on May 17, 2013 at 10:14 am
    • My sentoments completely. Miss Kitty says it best Builder you to should feel very proud

bogartand bacall on May 15, 2013 at 10:59 pm
    • Me too!

karenlin91 on May 15, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • Add me to that, as well!!!

TishaStanley on May 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm
    • Thanks to everyone.

Builder on May 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm
    • Me too Builder!!! I have Enjoyed your great knowledge in the field of construction and landscaping. Love it that you are so concerned that things are "done right the first time" and also your dry wit.."smile"… Thank you for joining We Bloggers who have learned so much from you…I always look forward to your comments:p^_^;)

Jennie/Florida on May 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm
    • I think saying I like this cabin is just that, me expressing my opinion on what I percieve as a beautiful cabin and yard. Do you think your saying it is yukky will persuade others to avoid entering the contest, so your chances would be better? The odds are roughly 1 in 9 million, but if you don't enter the contest, they are 0 in 9 million. It doesn't cost anything to take the chance. And your acting as a spoiler is not going to dissuade me from trying

Windsmurf on May 16, 2013 at 9:23 am
    • I'm not sure you saw the final Cabin Cam views before they left this very poor 'panorama' image up. IMO they should take this away and replace it with a panorama that's at least in focus and not so distorted. Maybe that would help.

There's a good stone path from the house, via the outdoor shower up to the dining pavillion and fire pit to the left under the pecan trees. The rustic pergola is exactly as voted on, just that the vines and other plants need time to grow . You can't have an 'instant' fully covered pergola. Things have to develop. They laid a lot of sod on the prepared surface and more was being laid when the 'live' camera was stopped. The panorama we see isn't the final image by a long way, much less the finished yard.

Not sure what you mean by "Once again, something with awesome potential turns out like "made from helping hands at home". This is DIY which is defined as 'made by hands at home'.;) I believe if you had seen the final, in focus, still images from the Cabin Cam you probably wouldn't have blogged like this. :)

AnniesOwn on May 15, 2013 at 6:09 pm
    • You're right, they must not have seen the final views before the cam went permanent panorama…….and I like the way we all want to protest and stand up for the wonderful things they have done to our cabin! I don't think any of us would change any but minor things. I would move the grapes, get rid of the urinal faucet, and screen something….other than that, it's perfect! (Oops, one major thing—some kind of storage) I'll take it and throw a big party! ;-)

karenlin91 on May 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm
    • That's what I would do as well…

TishaStanley on May 15, 2013 at 6:56 pm
    • Me too!!

This home so far is pretty close to perfect for most of us, and completely perfect for others!

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 7:22 pm
  8. THANKS FOR EVERYTHING DIY! The entertainment that your Website provides is amazing!

grswla on May 15, 2013 at 6:17 pm
  9. Hi to All, I have been at the Hospital ALL day and So Happy to announce that my Grandson and his beautiful wife have given me a Beautiful Great Grand Daughter…6 lbs and 7 oz and she is so beautiful…Very Healthy and a Perfect Baby..I got to hold my little "Baby Doll" this afternoon..Happy. Happy. Happy!!!:p^_^<3<3<3

Jennie/Florida on May 15, 2013 at 6:22 pm
    • Congratulations Great Grandma!!!!!!! And congratulations to her parents also!

karenlin91 on May 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm
    • Congratulations Jennie! Congratulations to your blessed Grandson and the new Mommy too :) :) :)

Mel on May 15, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    • Happy Dance FOR YOU, Jennie!!!xD:p:*<3 Your 1st GREAT? So COOL, isn't it? So happy all is well for your entire Family~~God Bless ALL of You! Love, Kitty <3<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 15, 2013 at 6:41 pm
    • Congratulations to you, Jennie, and to your family!!!! I became a great-aunt 2 days ago. Little angel named Ruby after her great-grandmama.

TishaStanley on May 15, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Congratulations Jennie! Wishing your baby great grand daughter, her parents, grandparents and you every blessing and joy that life can bring! <3<3<3

SID on May 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    • Thank You All, You are Very Sweet and I appreciate Your Well Wishes…I have to tell you my Grandson is 24 yrs old and has stepped up to the plate and hasn't left his wife's side. She is 20 yr old and her parents are over seas.. He took a week's vacation from work to be there with her and it is so amazing to watch how He has taken control over this Great Blessing We have received..He is grinning from ear to ear especially when he looks at little "Carla"…He says to me "MeMe isn't She Beautiful" and "wow She is so little" p^_^<3<3<3 This is my first great grand baby, my other grandchildren are very young and excited to be an aunt and uncle..They are so funny !!! It's been a Long Day…Good Nite!!:p^_^:)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 16, 2013 at 12:23 am
    • I am so happy for you Jennie, best wishes to your grandson too!
      Congratulation's!

home_girl on May 16, 2013 at 2:13 am
    • Congrats Jennie, I've got 3 great grandaughters, of course the younger ones flock to us, don't they? I'm sure he will be much loved and needless to say, spoiled.

540sam on May 16, 2013 at 3:16 am
    • Congratulations Jennie! It is always a blessing to welcome a baby. <3:D

JudyInMich on May 16, 2013 at 8:39 am
    • Congratulations on your brand new baby great-granddaughter<3

Windsmurf on May 16, 2013 at 9:41 am
    • Congratulations ,Jennie and family ! Enjoy this little precious bundle whenever you can. Best to the new Mommy and Daddy too ! <3 <3

Nan on May 16, 2013 at 1:01 pm
    • Congratulations, Jennie! Do they live close to you? :) <3Boo

Boo on May 16, 2013 at 3:19 pm
    • Thank you Boo, yes they live across town from me right now and I can be there in 10 minutes..^_^

Jennie/Florida on May 16, 2013 at 7:45 pm
    • Best wishes to all! How wonderful to have a new little bundle of love to share! Enjoy each other always!

Downonthefarm on May 16, 2013 at 3:58 pm
    • Jennie, CONGRATS to all! So happy for you.^_^Enjoy every moment!

amberPA on May 16, 2013 at 5:21 pm
  10. Too bad that UOwinner put such a negative post on this site ! I for one do not say how much I Iike the Blog Cabin for a chance to win. We know that DIY gives all of us a chance to win such a lovely home for a fortunate Person . I would be very happy to recieve this home from such a great company as DIY. They always do wonderful work with the best crews from of all the trades. They are, and have always done great work, in my opinion. Winning any of them would have been wonderful. Guess I better stop. I will ltry to think as others have said, maybe UOwinner, was not Seeing what most of us saw on the final day of the Cam. On a happy note, ;) can not wait to see the finish when we get to see the camera showing us the inside of a new home for one of us. Come back and see us then ! Have a great evening everyone. best to all- and "Happy Dreams". ;) <3

Nan on May 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    • Hey, the guy (or gal) was just voicing their opinion which is just as valid as anyone else's. Most may not agree but no one should be chastised for having an opinion different than the masses. What if the renegades like Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, et al kept their opinions to themselves?

Ishmael on May 16, 2013 at 12:45 pm
    • True, but I was always taught "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all" and as this is voluntary to enter the drawing, why enter or even get on the blog if you do not like the place. Me, I just love it.:D

JudyInMich on May 17, 2013 at 7:28 am
    • Ishmael, we all have different opinions on lots of things concerned with the cabin, and we respect each others opinions, and love the cabin and the whole process. That post sounded like not just a different opinion, but an attack on "Our" cabin and of course we have to defend it ;-)

karenlin91 on May 17, 2013 at 7:43 am
    • Ishamel, if you go back and read that comment that was not an opinion that was expressed, but a direct attack on the job that the DIY crew did. We all have opinions, thank goodness, but the way that statement was made had little to do with just a like or don't like. I hardly think this falls into the same category as our founding fathers. Just my opinion.

540sam on May 17, 2013 at 8:31 am
    • When UOwinner accussed people of saying good things only because they thought that would give them some sort of advantage, that was not an opinion, that was a derogatory personal put-down. I am pretty certain if the renegades you referenced took that approach, they would have been much less persuasive and much less remembered through time. I had no problem with the original comment made and only stated that I had a different opinion on the beauty of the cabin and yard; the come-back to my stating my opinion was where the nastiness came into play. I appreciate and agree with your point, but I was not reacting to the opinion expressed, only to the personal comment made when I expressed my opinion.

Windsmurf on May 17, 2013 at 9:14 am
    • I agree with you 100%. The inference that those who comment positively on the great job DIY has done are doing so just to increase their odds of winning was impolite. Opinions good or bad should be welcome, personal attacks on other bloggers never are. I suppose we all have our bad days, so hope that UOwinner will think his/her comments over, and return to be a welcome neighbor.:D

SID on May 17, 2013 at 9:36 am
    • Hi Ismael, I always enjoy your blogs. You are absolutely correct that different opinions should be welcome. The post you mentioned was however like a rogue wave, all smash and drown. Negative comments are generally accepted here when intended to be helpful, informative or constructive. If UO winner wanted a reaction, I think he/she knew that post would get one! =/ As far as those replies to the original post accusing other bloggers of just thinking their comments would "increase their chances of winning" that comment was completely out of line. JMHO:D

SID on May 17, 2013 at 10:00 am
    • Wow, Ishmael . I too, was just expressing my opinion. I appreciate what others have said and most of us have the same thoughts about this home. Great and love it. I enjoy the Bloggers and learning from them. I happen to like the site and the Blog Cabin and think all the crews and the entire team did a great home. Just my opinion.
      I do not understand the +7 rating —–

Nan on May 17, 2013 at 10:15 pm
    • Thank you fellow Bloggers for your comments. I think ,as I have stated many times , I think the Blog Cabin
      is terrific and love all that goes with it. Just thought I had to respond. Have a good night. my best to all

Nan on May 17, 2013 at 10:23 pm