May 13

Behind the Scenes: Filming a Blog Cabin Episode

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2013

I had the privilege of being a fly on the wall during the filming of the “Kitchen Crashers” episode of Blog Cabin 2013 (May 4-5). This was my first opportunity to watch the filming of a DIY Network show. What a thrill!

The crew was an absolute delight. Producer Jay Baker greeted me as if I was one of the gang. His big Tennessee smile made me feel immediately at ease. And Chris Grundy and Alison Victoria? Top-notch talent, humble, gracious … and oh so funny. Chris proved a laugh a minute, while Alison, without missing a beat, whipped out the classic comebacks. On-screen chemistry in spades!

Cameras were catching every moment of the ad libs, few of which will hit the cutting room floor, I am sure. The crew muscled through a grey, cold rainy Saturday to capture scenes for a captivating how-to project. Chris and Alison first picked through the reclaimed wood pile and then headed to a makeshift construction area near the dock where they sliced down, then ripped beams for a very cool kitchen furnishing (Hint: It has legs. And don’t be surprised if some matching coasters surface). Cabinet installation followed by a field trip were also on the day’s filming to-do list.

Candid Snaps: Blog Cabin 2013 Location
Candid Pictures of Blog Cabin 2013 Area

I had the opportunity to chat with Jay in between takes. I was fascinated by his creative process and his approach to this year’s episode. “My thought is to always to land at the place, take a look at the environment and figure out a way to involve as much of that environment into the show as possible,” he said. “We are in a special place that people will travel extensively to get to. We all have. So let’s show people why.”

Small kitchen size is a challenge this year, but Jay plans some workarounds; directing such talented hosts definitely helps. “You get someone with Chris’s energy level around someone with Alison’s energy level: They just self motivate. They are great at that. You just try to repeat that over and over and over because that’s why someone at home would want to watch this.”

For Grundy, being the Blog Cabin 2013 master of ceremonies has been a blast from the get-go. Although this year’s home is a tad smaller than the 2012 Maine home, the coastal location, beautiful water views and friendly locals make up for the building challenges. Mutual affection amongst crew members also makes for a stellar experience. “I love working with all the people that are here. I like having fun and all these people make me laugh,” he says. “And Alison Victoria — from the moment she shows up in a boat, everything gets better.”

Note: Although Cabin Cam comes down today, we have alot more to share, including a Q&A with our remodeling experts, an interview with the interior designer and content related to HGTVRemodels.com’s Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package. Stay tuned!

1. What a wonderful time it has been waking each morning and taking a short walk around North Carolina and then ending the day at sunset watching the golds and pinks and reds casting across the land. There will definitely be a time of withdrawal here. It became a short break away from all that sat on our shoulders and now we are losing that escape. I support the freedom of the cabin cam but it seems unwilling to break the rules and keep on running.
    Thank you all for providing such great entertainment in a new format. Here's a glass raised to more as I sit next to the grape vines one last time.

Grammagail on May 14, 2013 at 2:43 pm
  2. One last time until I own it, of course! LOL:D

Grammagail on May 14, 2013 at 2:44 pm
  3. Definitely agree that this beautiful piece of land is perfect to provide for pets who need homes. Not only T.L.C. for our four-legged friends, I would have various habitats for the birds that live there. We love to enjoy our early mornings outside, with cups of coffee in hand and watching the pets and the natural wildlife around us. What better place than "our dreams can come true cabin?" This will be a beautiful home to share with family and friends! Thank you DIY crew for making this possible and may all blogger friends keep enjoying this wonderful experience !!

dona on May 14, 2013 at 4:40 pm
  4. WHAT A CHARMER! So beautiful! I wish I had known you were having this contest sooner. I'm so glad you saved it. Oh — talk about in love with NC. And this cottage. Oh wow. LOVE!

vbonnaire on May 14, 2013 at 5:11 pm
  5. Hey all bloggers, it's not the blog cabin but the following link does have 3 views of Sunset Beach, NC. You can see the sunrise and sunset and dream of owing the blog cabin while you watch it live. http://www.sunsetbeachncwebcam.com/home.cfm?cam=1

Lia_M on May 14, 2013 at 7:26 pm
    • Thanks for sharing, Lia! That was nice.

TishaStanley on May 14, 2013 at 8:53 pm
    • Lia, Great pictures. Thank you!

bythebaydreamer on May 15, 2013 at 8:12 pm
  6. The latest BC is done, the camera is no longer live and the waiting for episodes and entries begins. What do we talk about now?

DGustaf on May 14, 2013 at 9:31 pm
  7. I so enjoyed the CAM – checked it every day from the start. Made me feel that I had a part in the building. Cool to watch as the team worked.(I would give the camera a good work out) Wondered how they felt about knowing we all were watching. When this one is all said and done I will miss it. I would like to say thanks for the opportunity to tag along. When it was cold and snowing here in PA it was nice to check the weather at the site.
    I would swing the camera around and watch the sun set over the water. Great. I am now retired and this project is just what I would like to have one day.

Jay Michajluk on May 14, 2013 at 9:37 pm
  8. Wow, look a the cabin cam….panorama, but wow! The grapevine has a note posted on it but we don't have the ability to zoom in anymore….do any of you who may have viewed it earlier, know what it says? The area at the grapevine is sensational…..cool shaded area! Nice!^_^ Oh, yeah, it snowed here all day long yesterday! Thank goodness it didn't stay around!

amberPA on May 14, 2013 at 9:59 pm
    • IT basically says thanks to the bloggers from Dylan and Andrew Roby.

540sam on May 15, 2013 at 6:08 am
    • awhhhh, that was so nice of them! Thank you 540sam!^_^

amberPA on May 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm
    • What Sam said plus they'll miss us and see us next year, and a heart at the end. So nice of them! <3

SID on May 15, 2013 at 9:49 am
    • SID. you are right that was very nice of them to acknowledge all of us!^_^

amberPA on May 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm
  9. Darn it! Been working the last few days, and I missed all the activity, and now the cam is down :(
    Oh, well, at least I got to see a panorama shot with all kinds of yardwork done. It all looks lovely, and I'm glad that so much of it is still left in a natural state.

Someone will be very lucky to get this property.

Mimitheminer on May 15, 2013 at 12:49 am
  10. Good Morning Friends….I am having trouble with not being able to control the camera…LOL. I will keep coming to the blog site, though…
    I have a few revisions to make for my final that's due today and I will be done. Wow–to lose the cabin cam and then not having anymore homework all in the same week. What am I gonna do????????

Tisha

TishaStanley on May 15, 2013 at 8:17 am
    • LOL Trisha, I think at least you won't miss the homework!

SID on May 15, 2013 at 9:39 am
    • You are ABSOLUTELY correct on that one, SID!!! I have had a very long journey with online classes and I am so glad that after today all I have to worry about is if I passed the finals to graduate in June.

TishaStanley on May 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm