May 13

Behind the Scenes: Filming a Blog Cabin Episode

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2013

I had the privilege of being a fly on the wall during the filming of the “Kitchen Crashers” episode of Blog Cabin 2013 (May 4-5). This was my first opportunity to watch the filming of a DIY Network show. What a thrill!

The crew was an absolute delight. Producer Jay Baker greeted me as if I was one of the gang. His big Tennessee smile made me feel immediately at ease. And Chris Grundy and Alison Victoria? Top-notch talent, humble, gracious … and oh so funny. Chris proved a laugh a minute, while Alison, without missing a beat, whipped out the classic comebacks. On-screen chemistry in spades!

Cameras were catching every moment of the ad libs, few of which will hit the cutting room floor, I am sure. The crew muscled through a grey, cold rainy Saturday to capture scenes for a captivating how-to project. Chris and Alison first picked through the reclaimed wood pile and then headed to a makeshift construction area near the dock where they sliced down, then ripped beams for a very cool kitchen furnishing (Hint: It has legs. And don’t be surprised if some matching coasters surface). Cabinet installation followed by a field trip were also on the day’s filming to-do list.

Candid Snaps: Blog Cabin 2013 Location
Candid Pictures of Blog Cabin 2013 Area

I had the opportunity to chat with Jay in between takes. I was fascinated by his creative process and his approach to this year’s episode. “My thought is to always to land at the place, take a look at the environment and figure out a way to involve as much of that environment into the show as possible,” he said. “We are in a special place that people will travel extensively to get to. We all have. So let’s show people why.”

Small kitchen size is a challenge this year, but Jay plans some workarounds; directing such talented hosts definitely helps. “You get someone with Chris’s energy level around someone with Alison’s energy level: They just self motivate. They are great at that. You just try to repeat that over and over and over because that’s why someone at home would want to watch this.”

For Grundy, being the Blog Cabin 2013 master of ceremonies has been a blast from the get-go. Although this year’s home is a tad smaller than the 2012 Maine home, the coastal location, beautiful water views and friendly locals make up for the building challenges. Mutual affection amongst crew members also makes for a stellar experience. “I love working with all the people that are here. I like having fun and all these people make me laugh,” he says. “And Alison Victoria — from the moment she shows up in a boat, everything gets better.”

Note: Although Cabin Cam comes down today, we have alot more to share, including a Q&A with our remodeling experts, an interview with the interior designer and content related to HGTVRemodels.com’s Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package. Stay tuned!

1. Morning, found the horseshoe pit. :D The sun rise at the cabin is soooooooo beautiful. <3<3<3 B) .
    Have a great day everyone. ;)

MaryPA on May 14, 2013 at 7:29 am
  2. Mary, thank you and everyone involved in this blog cabin! You have taken a beautiful place and made it into an even more beautiful place, and educated us on construction for heavy weather, this place will last! Thank you for letting us be a part of it!
    Mary, please listen to all of us who will be lost without the camera and are pleading to have it stay……we still haven't seen the inside, can't see the drive now, have never seen the back or the porch from the master bedroom and what they're doing from that space….There are all kinds of stuff we cannot see, plenty to leave surprises for a big reveal! In the meantime, if we are still able to check in and see this beautiful space, we will definitely stay engaged, and continue to tell others about it, and won't lose any excitement when it comes time to enter to win, or watch the shows…..TrueLook's website has a place to vote on popular webcams…….we could all go there and get even more exposure for DIY! That would be a good thing for all of us!

karenlin91 on May 14, 2013 at 8:04 am
  3. I'm trying desperately to save the cabin cam. I've been on all morning viewing the cam and hitting the escape key repeatedly hoping that the cam will break away and go hide, but no luck yet. Can I please get some help. Everybody try it.o.0

540sam on May 14, 2013 at 8:08 am
    • ROFLMAO, and Carl is still on the floor ;-) Whatever it takes, we will try to help the cabin cam excape!!!

karenlin91 on May 14, 2013 at 8:25 am
    • oops, escape too!

karenlin91 on May 14, 2013 at 8:25 am
    • Keep trying karen, I wont quit untill is see the cam running across the yard yelling, FREE! FREE! …………I'M FREEEEEEEEE!

540sam on May 14, 2013 at 11:13 am
    • LOL, thanks for that picture in my head! '-)

karenlin91 on May 14, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    • HAHA you are soooo funny!!! I think we all have the same wish. I know I don't want it to end but sadly I guess it will :$! Much Love!!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm
    • I guess we can enjoy it while it is there. Don't want it to end either Rebecca. :( <3:D

JudyInMich on May 14, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    • LOL :'(:'(:'( it's just panning away like crazy making me dizzzzzzyo.0o.0

MaryPA on May 14, 2013 at 9:07 pm
    • Sam, I keep trying……camera not running across the lawn yet..but…….;-) Thank you for your wit and knowledge, and that picture in my head….it won't go away! ;-)

karenlin91 on May 16, 2013 at 7:25 am
    • Awww, thanks Karen:$ it's been fun. Before retirement it was my job to go to the field and re-engineer problems that always occured on projects large and small. The say it's a field engineers job to turn chicken poo into chicken salad. It was kind of fun watching just one house build instead of hundreds. Enjoyed interacting with all the bloggers, and a bit of humor seems to always lighten thing up. One thing I never replied on though, because it became so controversial. is the screens. Some years back I installed a misting system on my decking, it does 3 things keeps you cool in this SE climate, keeps bugs away and chases polen away, which is what I would install on the BC.

540sam on May 16, 2013 at 8:09 am
    • Sam, I never thought of that, duhh! We have misters on our back patio..Sacramento gets major heat in the summer……and we really don't have any problems with mosquitos……..simple solution to the screening, I would do the same thing and maybe put in a ceiling fan or two, also ;-)

karenlin91 on May 16, 2013 at 8:23 am
    • I think the fans may already be there.

540sam on May 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm
  4. Yea! We still have a cabin cam. I'm going to enjoy every minute as though it will be the last from the cam. :)

AnniesOwn on May 14, 2013 at 8:55 am
    • Hi Annie, I was surprised that we are still able to see this morning as well. I will be watching until they take it away as well. What a beautiful transformation!! I just love it! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 14, 2013 at 1:23 pm
  5. Yes! Cabin cam is kinda working. I was able to see the grapes WERE cut back a bit in the new seating area. Woohoo! What a beautiful sitting space! This BC is GORGEOUS! Kudos to the team who built this beauty!

Trish on May 14, 2013 at 10:11 am
    • I totally agree. This is such an amazing home. Good luck to you and to all bloggers! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 14, 2013 at 12:04 pm
    • The pergola does look great doesn't it. :D

Those are new grape vines not the old ones cut back. They pulled the old vines out, roots and all and planted these in their place.

In looking at images I have saved from a short while back I'm convinced the old vines weren't muscadine grapes (or any other grape). Their leaves were completely wrong for grapes of any sort. They looked much more like a wild briar or honeysuckle. Now we know we have grapes and I suspect, again looking at the leaves, that these are muscadines. This would fit so well with the history of this part of the coast where muscadine grape cultivation predates European colonist settlements probably by centuries. :)

Clive on May 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm
    • The more I think about it, I think you're right.. at least they're for sure grapes now!

karenlin91 on May 14, 2013 at 3:58 pm
  6. Thanks to the best builder yet answering blogger questions! What a great guy.

grswla on May 14, 2013 at 10:15 am
  7. Being a fly on the wall during the filming of the "Kitchen Crashers" episode of Blog Cabin 2013 would have been great fun, although being the guy to WIN it all would be absolutely, incredibly amazing!

Thanks for the memories, Cabin Cam….

DBCoop on May 14, 2013 at 10:21 am
    • I could not have said it better!!! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 14, 2013 at 12:02 pm
  8. Amazing how much can get done in a matter of a couple days. Looks amazing I love the Horse Shoe Pit.

Sam on May 14, 2013 at 11:53 am
    • Hi Sam! You are so right they did accomplish sooooo much in just a couple days. It just transformed right infront of our eyes. I think we all have fell in love with this little piece of paradise since they started. I wish you and everyone the best of luck! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 14, 2013 at 1:21 pm
  9. Good morning guys. How is everyone doing today? I am not going to know what to do with myself once the camera is taken down :$. Wow what a wonderful job by everyone involved in transforming this beautiful home! I know I will definately miss watching you guys day in and day out. What a hard working crew. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm
  10. Hi guys, I am dreading when they take the cam away :$. I was definately surprised when I was still able to see that beautiful home this morning. Now I guess I will be patient and wait desperately for the episodes to air!! I don't know what it is about this home but I have just fell in love with it as we all have. I don't want it to end!! I wish everyone one of you the best of luck. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm