May 13

Behind the Scenes: Filming a Blog Cabin Episode

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2013

I had the privilege of being a fly on the wall during the filming of the “Kitchen Crashers” episode of Blog Cabin 2013 (May 4-5). This was my first opportunity to watch the filming of a DIY Network show. What a thrill!

The crew was an absolute delight. Producer Jay Baker greeted me as if I was one of the gang. His big Tennessee smile made me feel immediately at ease. And Chris Grundy and Alison Victoria? Top-notch talent, humble, gracious … and oh so funny. Chris proved a laugh a minute, while Alison, without missing a beat, whipped out the classic comebacks. On-screen chemistry in spades!

Cameras were catching every moment of the ad libs, few of which will hit the cutting room floor, I am sure. The crew muscled through a grey, cold rainy Saturday to capture scenes for a captivating how-to project. Chris and Alison first picked through the reclaimed wood pile and then headed to a makeshift construction area near the dock where they sliced down, then ripped beams for a very cool kitchen furnishing (Hint: It has legs. And don’t be surprised if some matching coasters surface). Cabinet installation followed by a field trip were also on the day’s filming to-do list.

Candid Snaps: Blog Cabin 2013 Location
Candid Pictures of Blog Cabin 2013 Area

I had the opportunity to chat with Jay in between takes. I was fascinated by his creative process and his approach to this year’s episode. “My thought is to always to land at the place, take a look at the environment and figure out a way to involve as much of that environment into the show as possible,” he said. “We are in a special place that people will travel extensively to get to. We all have. So let’s show people why.”

Small kitchen size is a challenge this year, but Jay plans some workarounds; directing such talented hosts definitely helps. “You get someone with Chris’s energy level around someone with Alison’s energy level: They just self motivate. They are great at that. You just try to repeat that over and over and over because that’s why someone at home would want to watch this.”

For Grundy, being the Blog Cabin 2013 master of ceremonies has been a blast from the get-go. Although this year’s home is a tad smaller than the 2012 Maine home, the coastal location, beautiful water views and friendly locals make up for the building challenges. Mutual affection amongst crew members also makes for a stellar experience. “I love working with all the people that are here. I like having fun and all these people make me laugh,” he says. “And Alison Victoria — from the moment she shows up in a boat, everything gets better.”

Note: Although Cabin Cam comes down today, we have alot more to share, including a Q&A with our remodeling experts, an interview with the interior designer and content related to HGTVRemodels.com’s Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package. Stay tuned!

1. I too am sad that the cabin cam is coming down. I will be going through withdrawal. Great pics of the area. My in-laws are from the area and its is great. Beufort is my favorite town . We go to the Fort Macon Beach which is so nice. Can't wait to see the finished Blog Cabin. July can't come fast enough.

LynnNY on May 13, 2013 at 8:11 pm
  2. Anybody else hope they will build in a couple of benches on the end of that pier?

Lia_M on May 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm
    • I think everyone will be really amazed at what will eventually happen with the dock/pier. They didn't just forget that material on the ground to the left of the dock/pier.

Builder on May 13, 2013 at 9:49 pm
    • Wondered what that stuff was for! Thanks. Please try to leave enough room out there for the boat lift I'll be putting in after I win.

RLD on May 14, 2013 at 9:29 am
    • Hopefully there will be a shed for lawn equipment with room for a John Deere riding lawnmower too! :)
      This will be a big lawn to mow!

Lia_M on May 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm
    • Sadly, Chris Grundy already said there would be no garage and no storage for water toys or yard equipment etc. :'(

AnniesOwn on May 14, 2013 at 10:23 pm
    • In that case, the new owner will have something to do to add his/her special touch!

Bev on May 15, 2013 at 11:01 am
    • True! I'm guessing that the pile of gravel that I noticed yesterday will be utilized to finish the path past the gazebo out to the dock, too.

Lia_M on May 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm
    • I doubt that very much. They will continue finishing touches inside and out as usual but the major construction is done. The Roby crew have gone as they said farewell on their sign by the arbor.

AnniesOwn on May 14, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    • That is what I was waiting for, to see what they were doing on the pier. Oh well, I guess we will be surprised

vicki_in_Utah on May 14, 2013 at 12:12 am
  3. Gosh everyone blogged has said just about everything i would want to say, but it never hurts to say another Thank You for such a wonderful time and Gosh wonderful place. If people thought beautiful before what can you say now, my gosh I have never had my breath taken away so many times. The home is just so beautiful and home-like and sometimes that is hard to come by. We were given thank you note and it is us that should be thanking you for everything that has been done. I too Love-Love that home and would be blessed-proud to win it . Hope to meet you guys one day.Can't get smiley to work- but smiley-smiley to you
    also loved the dog in water-can't wait for mine to enjoy water also. Bogey had a boat named Santana. Whenever I look out to the wAter I think of him out in his boat.

:D :D

bogartand bacall on May 13, 2013 at 8:25 pm
    • Nice….It is lovely. The water is so soothing and serene. Becky^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on May 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm
    • You said it all There is something about water that changes peoplexD

bogartand bacall on May 18, 2013 at 12:10 am
  4. All of you Guys and Gals did a wonderful job on the Blog Cabin Home. The high light of my day was coming home after work and unwind by logging onto the Cabin Cam and see what was new. It will be a real treat for the winner! I was in love with the South Carolina Home on HGTV, but when I read about the History of the Blog Cabin on DIYNetwork the cabin has a special place in my heart. I fell in love.It takes me back to my "roots" grandparents home in KY. North Carolina would be a wonderful place to retire and live.

Barb on May 13, 2013 at 9:26 pm
  5. Kitchen Crashers yeah!!!! My husband works in the food industry and excited to see the chef's area… The yard from this angle and the Cabin Cam really shows the size of the yard and my two kids love baseball and could play a great game there, or horseshoes, or badminton, and frisbee. What a wonderful yard.

mkro19 on May 13, 2013 at 10:03 pm
  6. The lights are still on at the house this evening, so maybe the cam will stay up! I can still see, but of course it is dark at 10:33 p.m.! He-Hee! This looks to be an exciting and fun filming! Can barely wait to see what is in store for us all. Have a great week everyone.^_^

amberPA on May 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm
  7. It is 11:00 p.m. and the cabin cam is still up…at least we can all say "goodnight" to OUR cabin….
    I also think we are going to be having cabin cam with drawals…..it's sooooo long for July!!! I agree with Builder, that it would be great if a blogger who has been here from the beginning wins this home, and not just someone who entered for the sake of entering.

I have one final down and one to go…so now what? I won't have the camera…..oh well, we can all come back in here and speculate on what we cannot see….

Have a wonderful evening, my friends….
    Tisha

TishaStanley on May 13, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    • Good luck on your finals Tisha! I think we are all going to be going through cabin withdrawal.. But at least we still have the blog.

JudyInMich on May 14, 2013 at 7:20 am
    • Thank you, Judy. I'll be glad to get these finals done and out of the way.
      I think the blog will be the only way we stay sand….LOL

TishaStanley on May 14, 2013 at 7:29 am
    • Good luck on your last final Tisha! Maybe we can still have a party for you on the beautiful grounds of the cabin ;-)

karenlin91 on May 14, 2013 at 8:31 am
    • Wish you the best Tisha ! You have been doing your work so do not stress now. You will do just fine !
      I agree that maybe we can get together and have a party at the Blog Cabin to celebrate. Looking forward to Our party. Can not wait until July and see the winner of this beautiful Home. ;) <3

Nan on May 14, 2013 at 11:12 am
  8. Robinson's Landing – -
    My mind forgets at times, but my never my heart, the old home place.
    It will forever be etched in my heart, all wrapped up in pure grace.
    I went there and it was gone from the grounds where we did play.
    But I can still see the old porch where we sat, in my heart today.

pinevalley on May 14, 2013 at 5:22 am
    • It is always hard to go back home. Although things have changed I'm sure many of those who knew it as Robinson's Landing will always know it as that. Just as the Robinson Family lived and loved the old homestead, hopefully the new owner will too. :) <3 Becky

bythebaydreamer on May 14, 2013 at 2:17 pm
    • Beautiful!

Lia_M on May 14, 2013 at 7:17 pm
  9. DIY and Mr. Eastman and crew did a fantastic job on this cabin. I am going to miss seeing the cabin every day and checking the progress, watching the ocean views. Thank you for everything you have done. Watching this cabin grow has been a highpoint in many of our lives. Thank you all for allowing us to feel a part of it.

Good luck to all the bloggers. I sincerely hope one of us wins this beautiful cabin. <3B):D

JudyInMich on May 14, 2013 at 7:18 am
  10. Good morning, Everybody, looks like we can enjoy our coffee, tea, breakfast at the cabin one more time..
    Makes me want to just sit right here and watch until I can't anymore…….

TishaStanley on May 14, 2013 at 7:27 am
    • Tisha, I'm up for coffee and tea one more time……we need Jennie to make some kind of wonderful breakfast ;-) Carl and I spent yesterday afternoon sending ourselves emails of the final views of the cabin, so we have something to hold us, but I think I like Sam's idea the best, keep hitting the escape key and let the camera escape and go hide! LOL

karenlin91 on May 14, 2013 at 8:47 am