May 13

Behind the Scenes: Filming a Blog Cabin Episode

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2013

I had the privilege of being a fly on the wall during the filming of the “Kitchen Crashers” episode of Blog Cabin 2013 (May 4-5). This was my first opportunity to watch the filming of a DIY Network show. What a thrill!

The crew was an absolute delight. Producer Jay Baker greeted me as if I was one of the gang. His big Tennessee smile made me feel immediately at ease. And Chris Grundy and Alison Victoria? Top-notch talent, humble, gracious … and oh so funny. Chris proved a laugh a minute, while Alison, without missing a beat, whipped out the classic comebacks. On-screen chemistry in spades!

Cameras were catching every moment of the ad libs, few of which will hit the cutting room floor, I am sure. The crew muscled through a grey, cold rainy Saturday to capture scenes for a captivating how-to project. Chris and Alison first picked through the reclaimed wood pile and then headed to a makeshift construction area near the dock where they sliced down, then ripped beams for a very cool kitchen furnishing (Hint: It has legs. And don’t be surprised if some matching coasters surface). Cabinet installation followed by a field trip were also on the day’s filming to-do list.

Candid Snaps: Blog Cabin 2013 Location
Candid Pictures of Blog Cabin 2013 Area

I had the opportunity to chat with Jay in between takes. I was fascinated by his creative process and his approach to this year’s episode. “My thought is to always to land at the place, take a look at the environment and figure out a way to involve as much of that environment into the show as possible,” he said. “We are in a special place that people will travel extensively to get to. We all have. So let’s show people why.”

Small kitchen size is a challenge this year, but Jay plans some workarounds; directing such talented hosts definitely helps. “You get someone with Chris’s energy level around someone with Alison’s energy level: They just self motivate. They are great at that. You just try to repeat that over and over and over because that’s why someone at home would want to watch this.”

For Grundy, being the Blog Cabin 2013 master of ceremonies has been a blast from the get-go. Although this year’s home is a tad smaller than the 2012 Maine home, the coastal location, beautiful water views and friendly locals make up for the building challenges. Mutual affection amongst crew members also makes for a stellar experience. “I love working with all the people that are here. I like having fun and all these people make me laugh,” he says. “And Alison Victoria — from the moment she shows up in a boat, everything gets better.”

Note: Although Cabin Cam comes down today, we have alot more to share, including a Q&A with our remodeling experts, an interview with the interior designer and content related to HGTVRemodels.com’s Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package. Stay tuned!

1. OH im sad to see no more live cam! I cant wait til voting time!!!!! Hoping to win blog cabin 13… Lagrange NC Kendi :) :)

kendi davis on May 21, 2013 at 3:23 pm
  2. The sign Dylan wrote for us bloggers is the absolute sweetest !

Does it mean both Dylan And Robbie will be back next year?
    I really believe the team of Dylan Eastman & Andrew Roby are an unbeatable team. I'm already looking forward to BC 2014 if these guys are back :)

Note to Jennie: I never go back & read old blog threads, but with your prompting I did go back and read the last several pages of the BC annoucement blog. I was pleasantly surprised to read a blog from Joey Scialabba from the Mega Dens show…reading his silly post made my day. Thanks Joey for your silly blog if you are still hanging around & reading. I can't wait to see what you built this year for the Mega Dens space. I bet it's crafty……….LOL

Mel on May 21, 2013 at 7:17 pm
  3. Oh dear those poor Oklahoma people. That is so sad :'(:'( They will rebuild and wait for the next storm to hit. Hope they don't have to wait for the money to rebuild. It's been 11/2 yrs. and were still waiting for the buy out it's just so sad.
    Hope the Blog Cabin never gets hit like that. The landscaping looks unbelievable. Well one lucky winner will be happy.;)

MaryPA on May 21, 2013 at 8:30 pm
    • Oh yes, MaryPA! It IS so tragic~~and I know that YOU are feeling it very closely, Friend! Has it already been 1 1/2 years~~and you guys are STILL waiting for the Government Disaster Aid, so-called "buy-out" to happen??? I remember! o.0:'( Having been there myself many moons ago, while it "seems" from the messages spread by top politicos, that disaster victims will receive aid and buyouts expeditiously, to take away some of the pain and restore them, it doesn't surprise me and it angers me. I am very sorry to hear this about you and, can only agonize over your delay plight and now, all the NEW, disaster victims in America, who will probably face the same. I know folks in New York, New Jersey and even Connecticut may weigh in on this also. I'm sorry, but our Nation should treat our own far, far, far better than that, when TIME IS of the essence!! GGGrrrrrrrrr!!!=/:x:S:'( Sorry folks, tough times should receive # 1 Priority action~ no grin, no spin and no false hopes—JMHO! :| :'( Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 21, 2013 at 10:18 pm
    • Kitty, Thanks and so true.
      I can't believe another cabin complete and up for grabs. ;)

MaryPA on May 22, 2013 at 12:35 pm
    • Hi Mary, I remember when your house went through that flood. I am so sorry to hear that you have still not received that promised buy out! Kitty said it very well…it is a real shame when Americans don't received the promised government relief in a timely manor. It makes me very angry that sometimes bureaucratic priorities are so so indifferent to the plight of our own citizens.:'( I hope the situation for you is resolved soon. <3

SID on May 22, 2013 at 8:11 pm
  4. My heart is heavy with the recent news of loss and devastation in Oklahoma. My thoughts and prayers are with those individuals and families that were impacted by the tornadoes. May God bless them and help them find strength to go on and begin to rebuild their homes and communities. Becky <3

bythebaydreamer on May 22, 2013 at 12:26 am
  5. Chris's last face book post says the construction is almost finished and he will be leaving soon.

540sam on May 22, 2013 at 6:23 am
    • And I was gonna try to get his pic when I get there…….

TishaStanley on May 22, 2013 at 7:27 am
    • Maybe he'll wait for you? He posted another pic too…..but it's on facebook, not twitter yet….so I don't know if you can see it without having facebook ;-( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101517088

karenlin91 on May 22, 2013 at 9:18 am
    • karen no, they won't let us in…..but thank you anyway for trying!<3

SID on May 22, 2013 at 8:14 pm
  6. Good Morning, Friends!!!! I, too, am still keeping the tragedy in OK in my prayers!!! We had a HUGE storm ourselves last night. Extremely heavy rain, and winds. The wind slammed my doors shut, thought it was going to break the glass. I had to keep my daughter calm on her drive home from work. She had me on speakerphone, and normally I would give her grief about being on the phone and driving., but her first sentence was "Mama, I'm scared." She couldn't see the road and almost went off it.. She said that there were tree limbs/branches all over the roads. She made it home, safe. It's times like this and with the tragedy in Oklahoma that makes me glad to know that we're really never alone.

Now, coffee is on, let's get some breakfast….

TishaStanley on May 22, 2013 at 7:26 am
    • I'll be right there. Before coffee though I would like to have a moment of silence for those who have been impacted by all the storms.

I too am glad we are never alone Tisha. God Bless you! Becky<3

bythebaydreamer on May 22, 2013 at 7:50 am
    • AMEN to that, Becky! Tisha, I'm so glad your Daughter made it home safely from work. That was dangerous to be driving in that. Whew!:*<3^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm
    • Good Morning, I'm glad your daughter made it home safe! The only good thing about the extreme weather is the way it brings out the good in people and reminds you how much you are not alone!
      Now, ready for breakfast! ;-)

karenlin91 on May 22, 2013 at 10:11 am
  7. Now even living it would just take your breath away. Imagine every morning just walking on the warf and sitting done watching he dawn come up.

drdonnaa7 on May 22, 2013 at 8:42 am
  8. I know we have discussed screens till we're all blue in the face ;-) and Carl and I have tried to figure out the best way to do it. He's still laying in bed (slug, lol) and flipping channels……anyway, he caught hgtv with the perfect, I think solution…………Velcro!!!!! They installed velcro "frames" around all the places to be screened, then velcro the screen material itself……..Screens when you want them without a lot of hassle, or expense…..roll them up and store in a tube for the times you don't need them. Doesn't that make sense? ;-)

karenlin91 on May 22, 2013 at 10:07 am
    • Karen, that's a deep thinker one, for sure! What about screens that are sort of like Roman shades? Still gonna' have bugs, but a lot less. B):D:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 23, 2013 at 3:17 pm
  9. Well it's been 9 days, about time for mary to give us an update.

540sam on May 22, 2013 at 3:26 pm
    • Hi Sam, last Saturday I sent Mary a post asking her to please give us the Q&A, we were promised way back when plus she said we would get to see an interview with the Interior Designer who might be Emily Guthrie….We are Soooo ready for some updates…
      I can't wait to see how Jason and his Crew finished up the Dock..He has great taste and I just know it's going to be a WOW factor! ^_^…Plus the rest of the yard on this side of the dock….so excited to see that to!
      You know… before We know it, this will be over and Some Lucky Person will have won this little Piece or Peace of Heaven…I love Everything about it but would surely need help with the Taxes and Insurances..
      I'll worry about that if I should be Sooo lucky to Win…We can Dream…Have a Good Evening Sam!!! ^_^B)
      OH, if I had only won the Power Ball last Saturday, I wouldn't have any worries…LOL B)^_^

Jennie/Florida on May 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm
  10. Come on locals,I know you're there.Back me up here.I have only lived here for 33 years but have been coming here since 65,so I am not as bad as a dingbatter.Thanks DIY for the enjoyment of watching the build.

TonyE on May 22, 2013 at 6:12 pm
    • LOL Tony….."Mommucked" is how I'm gonna feel when this years beautiful cabin goes to someone else. I've been dreaming of sitting out on the wraparound "pizer" and looking out on the "slickcam". The dock is so pretty now and no longer "whopperjawed".
      I'm more than ready to claim the keys to the Blog Cabin and start my life as a "dingbatter", the luckiest "dingbatter" in all of Carteret County, and you would only have a 33 year head start on me. :)
      Thanks for blogging with us, and I hope whoever does win enjoys being a "dingbatter" as much as I would.

Mel on May 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm
    • Melanie,talked to Carson today at the Handy House.

TonyE on May 22, 2013 at 9:43 pm