May 13

Behind the Scenes: Filming a Blog Cabin Episode

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2013

I had the privilege of being a fly on the wall during the filming of the “Kitchen Crashers” episode of Blog Cabin 2013 (May 4-5). This was my first opportunity to watch the filming of a DIY Network show. What a thrill!

The crew was an absolute delight. Producer Jay Baker greeted me as if I was one of the gang. His big Tennessee smile made me feel immediately at ease. And Chris Grundy and Alison Victoria? Top-notch talent, humble, gracious … and oh so funny. Chris proved a laugh a minute, while Alison, without missing a beat, whipped out the classic comebacks. On-screen chemistry in spades!

Cameras were catching every moment of the ad libs, few of which will hit the cutting room floor, I am sure. The crew muscled through a grey, cold rainy Saturday to capture scenes for a captivating how-to project. Chris and Alison first picked through the reclaimed wood pile and then headed to a makeshift construction area near the dock where they sliced down, then ripped beams for a very cool kitchen furnishing (Hint: It has legs. And don’t be surprised if some matching coasters surface). Cabinet installation followed by a field trip were also on the day’s filming to-do list.

Candid Snaps: Blog Cabin 2013 Location
Candid Pictures of Blog Cabin 2013 Area

I had the opportunity to chat with Jay in between takes. I was fascinated by his creative process and his approach to this year’s episode. “My thought is to always to land at the place, take a look at the environment and figure out a way to involve as much of that environment into the show as possible,” he said. “We are in a special place that people will travel extensively to get to. We all have. So let’s show people why.”

Small kitchen size is a challenge this year, but Jay plans some workarounds; directing such talented hosts definitely helps. “You get someone with Chris’s energy level around someone with Alison’s energy level: They just self motivate. They are great at that. You just try to repeat that over and over and over because that’s why someone at home would want to watch this.”

For Grundy, being the Blog Cabin 2013 master of ceremonies has been a blast from the get-go. Although this year’s home is a tad smaller than the 2012 Maine home, the coastal location, beautiful water views and friendly locals make up for the building challenges. Mutual affection amongst crew members also makes for a stellar experience. “I love working with all the people that are here. I like having fun and all these people make me laugh,” he says. “And Alison Victoria — from the moment she shows up in a boat, everything gets better.”

Note: Although Cabin Cam comes down today, we have alot more to share, including a Q&A with our remodeling experts, an interview with the interior designer and content related to HGTVRemodels.com’s Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package. Stay tuned!

1. While we're awaiting some new information from DIY does anyone want to play the 'What if you won the cottage' game?

Rules are simple, just list three changes or additions you would make to the cottage if you were the winner.

Caveats are : –
    1. The cottage comes as we see it now – no additions we're guessing may be included.
    2. Money isn't an issue and you can afford to pay taxes etc. to keep the cottage and pay for the changes or additions.
    3. No need for explanations for your choices

To get things rolling here are mine (in no particular order)
    1. Boat lift on the end of the pier.
    2. Screened part of the front porch
    3. Remove the side porch outside the master BR, extend the house out to the size of that porch and create an entrance (front door) there to free-up the foyer as an additional sleeping space (not officially designated as a bedroom). :)

Clive on May 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm
    • Money no issue? As long as we're dreaming!:p;)

1. Build two car garage + workshop for hubby + additional storage for lawn tractor, etc.
      2. Enclose with glass and screens the side porch area (where the foyer entrance door presently is) to make a sunroom/ foyer entry (existing foyer space to become library).
      3. Remove wall separating new sunroom entry foyer from living room, and replace with floor to ceiling wood burning fireplace and chimney to roof. Fireplace to be two sided, open both to L.R. and new foyer/sunroom.

SID on May 20, 2013 at 2:47 pm
    • That's it SID. Money no issues and just dreaming so no choice can possibly be wrong. :) ;):D

Clive on May 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    • I would replace the urinal sink
      Build 2 Car garage
      Build storage shed big enough for all the water toys, lawn mower, etc…
      Build a couple smaller cabins-away from main cabin-and rent them out during the summer-just so others could enjoy the beautiful area

I think that's it at least until I think of something else.

TishaStanley on May 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm
    • Hi everybody! Hope all are well! Things a bit offish here, but my back has given me some reprieve~~thanks to ALL of you dear ones who have posted well-wishes!!! I'm so sorry that I haven't been able to sit up much to type on laptop and respond and apologize to all of you who have faithfully checked in! :) Love your idea, Clive! With your rules set and, without having seen the interior finals, I'll have to make some assumptions:

1- I join Tisha–get rid of urinal faucet/sink
      2- Agree w/ Clive on Boat lift, but add a boat! :)
      3- Make house ADA accessible, insofar as possible, including ramp on side towards MBR.
      4- Also extend MBR to enclose and incorporate that porch area
      5- Transform side porch into screened and glassed all-season room,per Sid's great idea
      6- Add 2-sided wood-burning FP as per Sid's description to above all season porch
      7-Move grape plants from pergola~~ensure there are loads of natural perimeter geraniums
      8-tripple garage (one stall for lawn tractor, boat and other paraphernalia and storage area)
      9-Add 3rd BR above new garage/hopefully, design to accommodate elevator to upstairs hall
      10-Love the idea of converting Foyer to library–might open it to sunroom, make entry thru SR.
      Still…thinking….need to SEE kitchen access…. B)xD;):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 20, 2013 at 5:12 pm
    • Better check with planning and zoning before building additional cabins. It might not even be allowed, even if you have the $$. (even if you are just dreaming)

Builder on May 20, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    • Hi Builder! I'm looking for peaceful retirement "near seclusion" other than having friends and family over.–that's why I would add a 3rd bedroom–obviously, we'd have to clear the septic or install one of those systems that I can't recall the name, but it would take care of the extra people issue. Gosh! when I have my DIY Contractor and Bloggie Buddy Party, I guess I'd have to bring in some Port a' Johns, huh? I haven't the foggiest notion HOW MANY Bloggies there are!!! :D Or how many outhouses I'll need? Gotta' think of everything… even after the menu and games are all set!;):pB)xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 20, 2013 at 6:24 pm
    • Even when adding another bedroom, the septic system may have to be updated, too, not just cleaned. Building codes are very strict. In most cases, before any permit will be issued for a house upgrade, the septic system has to be inspected. I know, it is a lot of red tape, but there are lots of things that might have to be done. I guess you can all dream, but…………..Not everything a person wants to do, will be allowed, because of planning and zoning. Personally, I think this home is just absolutely perfect in every aspect. Why change a wonderful home site? Another thing to remember, even if money is no object, when adding rooms or additions, the heating and cooling system may not be large enough to meet demand. Just something else to dream about. :) :):)

Builder on May 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm
    • I believe Clive's idea was for people to express their dreams not to speculate on what can and can't be done. JMO . :)

For my 3 ideas I pick.
      1. Convert the dining pavillion into a greenhouse and storage area for yard tools and water toys.
      2. Move the firepit to the pagoda where the horseshoe pit is now.
      3. Screen-in some part of the main porch, possibly a 4-season room at one end.

Just a few of my dreams for this house. ^_^

AnniesOwn on May 20, 2013 at 8:17 pm
    • To clarify: when I said, "cleared" in relation to septic system I was referring to approvals/upgrades, etc. Maneuvering through the maze of designing, building, any expansion planning, permitting, pricing and actually doing the entire job queue effectively and efficiently is a mammoth, detail-oriented job. No corners cut! You're right, Builder, it IS in every way a wonderful home site and I'd say at the top 2-3 of DIY Blog Cabins! But I have a large family. Privacy and storage for sleeping and dressing quarters are necessary. I also have physical challenges. This home's beauty doesn't account for some ADA accommodations, though I do believe that DIY is putting more though to that. Just one more visually distracting, but fixable item: I can adjust to the heavy wire porch banisters and safety rails, but as both a designer and artist~~and I emphasize, according to my own personal taste, this is the one other item to add to my previous answer to that expensive "dream list game per Clive, above," is, I would just HAVE to paint that brown rail white. Just MY own Facts, Builder, no offense to anyone else's taste, but just my facts…" Jarring to my traditional preference, but I can compromise: me takee wire, OK.? You Givee white paint, paintbrush and paintee my rails~~we all beeeeee Haaaappyyyyy! Fair nuff??? Drink cold brew later under naturally rough pergola, before birds peck at grapes! Then mooooove grapes over, following search path for new grape holes with HIGH POWERED METAL DETECTOR~~ uuummmmmmmmmmm, just in case we don't want to destroy an antique buried chest of treasure when we do make the grape s' new houses! FUN STUFF! :D B);):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 21, 2013 at 10:58 pm
    • Kitty, Too bad one on us bloggers is not the winner of that huge Powerball jackpot. Then, we could change whatever is needed, for our desired use. I was reading yesterday where the new winner, if investing the Powerball money at only 3% interest, it would amount to something like 8 million per year in just interest, without using any principal. I never figured it our myself, but just quoting that article. Now, just think, using a mere 8 million interest money each year for renovations.

My oh My, I could not even imagine that much cash. That wealth will only get richer and richer, because each year there would be interest on top of interest, on top of interest……… etc. No wonder the wealthy people get wealthier, even if not working.

Wow………….If our government would be smart, they would donate their share of the jackpot to the victims of the Oklahoma tornadoes. Estimated cost, according to CNN, is the damage will exceed one billion $.

Have a wonderful day. Enjoyed your comment.

Builder on May 22, 2013 at 9:55 am
    • Hi Builder! I can't imagine that kind of money either! I look at the little sphere of the world that I know and is part of what I live in and think, I don't NEED all that Money. To live debt free, give what is due to my Lord plus be able to offer much more, yes~~the interest alone, as you've said, is so much more than i could ever need…Looking around, Builder, I see so much loss, pain, suffering. I see HARD WORKERS, unable to buy health insurance, or a dependable car, but every day, they faithfully do their work to feed their family….I see people on fixed incomes, choosing to put some semblance of nutritious food on their tables, but who haven't enough left over to pay for much needed meds; then, those fallen through the cracks of society and are homeless through no fault of their own. With those type of winnings (after paying Uncle Sam's due), My hubby and I would set up some kind of system to meet and help people where they are–Find/research ways (drawing on past experiences in my professional background, and from my husband's CFP/financial planning background–and, though I can't physically tackle it all, I'd find someone trustworthy who loves humanity unconditionally, as do my Hubby and I: we would set up resources that help meet immediate needs and help these individuals plan for achieving future needs, with dignity, respect, and give hope in achievements that are earn them MORE self-actualization and peace of mind. Point is, There would be at least one of more strategic services organizations, which would be run, hopefully on the interest you pointed out alone, while the principal would be set aside, invested and balanced for proper growth into perpetuity., yes, while we were serving and helping where help could be the most useful! I guess looking at it from that perspective, the money seems to shrink some, but somehow, with God's help, families in need would no longer feel as though they must grovel in order to receive help. They would be asked to make a commitment to pay it forward, even if by a small drop irrigation way . but to do a kindness to/for another and so on. The little non-profit organization would serve as a stepping stone up from rock bottom, perhaps. I'm just thinking, THAT is what I would have done with such a Power/ball Jackpot: Help Rebuild Lives. falling through the cracks of bureaucracy can cause unmerited self debasement. I would like to see hope, sighs of relief, laughter and personal growth that jettisons each person into a position of enthusiasm for their tomorrows. My vision is very general, because each family is unique and My hope is to keep the recipient within their comfort zone Yes, Builder! Such a huge amount of money is beyond comprehension and I can't live by eating it–that money is trade, to me. Trade for the restoration and hope to individuals and families who've just reached that point of absolute need~~if I happened to have that money, that's the direction it would go! When my home was destroyed by a major flood back in 1979, I was parent to 8children between 4 and 17. The Salvation Army asked what I really needed that would really help, by doing something useful and needed. My response to that question was, It's a big ticket item, but do you think that a sewing machine is too much to ask? I got a beautiful, antique Singer table w/ machine built in! New fabrics, threads… It was the wisest means to clothe 6 kids' who just wanted to forget the disaster and get out with friends. Based upon that generous and thoughtful way of helping–my family was on the way up and out of the mire of the mud and filth and disease, which the flood left us. It pointed a way out. This, dear Builder , is my hearts' desire to do : Pay it forward with the best that I am able!!! POWERBALL? Take the winnings and make winners out of lots of previously lost in the crowds of society. I sincerely doubt that any governments would or could do as well to make that powerball stretch–but I know a God Who can. Been thinking on such an organization for many years~~maybe someday, OUR day will come! The only thing I'd do for me, would be to payoff any debts, prepay any end of life expenses, set up a trust to take care of my adult disabled child who lives in our home…To experience THEIR Joy! Ah! Now that IS a treasure worth sharing!:)xD^_^;) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 23, 2013 at 1:02 am
    • Kitty,

Very well said, well said, indeed. :) When I was much younger, like 30 years ago, there was a pretty well to do gentleman who died, leaving his entire estate in a scholarship fund. None of the principle will ever be used, (well over one million dollars at that time), just the interest will be donated to high school graduates who resided in that particular county. The trust is governed by five local businessmen, none paid, who every year at graduation time, give out scholarships for college. The scholarships range from as low as $100, to one large one of $14,000. The school students are chosen by the faculty of each school, and one from every school is interviewed by the scholarship board, to see who receives the largest scholarship each year. The scholarship fund will always have money, because just the interest will be handed to worthy students. Every school has recipients, and the interest money is used until it is gone. The following years, it happens all over again.

Now, that is what I call a worthy investment in our future. :)

Builder on May 23, 2013 at 9:08 am
    • sounds teriffic! soooooo nice of you to share. best to all ;) <3

Nan on May 20, 2013 at 10:13 pm
    • You're right, I hadn't thought of that…maybe just tents then…LOL

TishaStanley on May 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    • Incinerator pot-ties too for tents? Heheheh…;):p:D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 21, 2013 at 11:22 pm
    • I couldn't think of a thing that I would add or change at the moment. It doesn't take much to make me happy! I love it as it sits and my family is very small so it works so perfect as is. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm
    • Rebecca, sweetie, do you know you are a peach? <3 You are absolutely right, it is a dream home just as it is! <3<3<3

SID on May 20, 2013 at 4:06 pm
    • The side porch doesn't make sense to me unless you enjoy sitting there and watching the cars go by. Remove the side porch outside the master BR, extend the house out to the size of that porch.

pinevalley on May 20, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    • I would screen in most of the front and side porch only leaving the side where the laundry room is unscreened.
      I would build a large 2 car garage with guest suite above (with bath and mini kitchen)
      I would change the kitchen layout as I previously suggested opening it to the stairs and enlarging the counter.
      It is nice to dream I can see it all in my head…

zulumom on May 20, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    • Love your ideas, Zulumom! I'm still mating on that kitchen , with some trepidation. I do know it will be very beautiful, but that wall they left still bothers me and, like you, I'd like it opened.^_^xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 20, 2013 at 5:50 pm
    • Good idea Clive, and I just read the others too….I'm thinking about that foyer and bedroom porch thing..;-)
      1. Change out that urinal faucet
      2. Build a garage/storage area
      3. Install misters and ceiling fans on the porch..

karenlin91 on May 20, 2013 at 7:26 pm
    • My Wish List!!! Money is no object!!! First thing…..the
      1) Single handle Urinal Faucet Has got to go!!! LOL
      2) Double Car Garage/ upstairs Guest Bedroom Suite, kitchenette and Deck
      3) Screened Porch or 4 Seasons Porch and hang a white Double Wicker Swing
      4) Nice workshop/ Potting Shed/ Storage for storing outdoor furniture, lawn equipment/ water toys
      5) Add Apple, Fig, Pear and Peach trees
      6) Build Fence Arbor to the right of the Pergola for the Grape Vines
      7) Add white Wrought Iron Security gate and add Solar lights in all areas of the yard to accent all the beautiful areas of the yard at night
      MMmmmmm…….Still thinking!!!o.0o.0^_^

Jennie/Florida on May 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm
    • Great idea Clive, I like it. here's mine: (a)No major changes to the structure.
      (b)wood insert for cook&heat (emergency)
      (c)No garage, unneeded.
      (d)Misting systems for all outdoor structures.
      (e)Boat lift
      (f)Eliminate mailbox(unneeded)
      (g)Plant trees and shrubs across driveway(so no one can find me)

B)

540sam on May 21, 2013 at 4:57 am
    • Hi Sam, I don't know what a wood insert is? Also, In case of Tropical storms, Hurricanes or Nor'easters, going up the East coast, why wouldn't You want a garage to protect your Cars??? Just curious!! :) Money being No object^_^:p:D

Jennie/Florida on May 21, 2013 at 10:35 am
    • Jennie, a fireplace insert is an iron box that goes in your fireplace,primarily for wood, it holds heat and usually has blowers in them. As for a garage, Tony , who lives about 1.5 miles down the road from BC reported that the storm surge at his house during Isabel and Irene, was 11.5 feet and he's 200 yds inland with a first floor elevation of 12 ft above MHW, so if you build a garage it had better be 12 feet off of the ground. Besides if I plant trees and shrubs across the entrance, who would need a car?

540sam on May 21, 2013 at 11:52 am
    • Hi Sam, if you had said a Fireplace wood insert I would have known what you were talking about^_^ So when you win the Cottage, does planting the trees and shrubs across the entrance mean you would turn into a Hermit?? How would your visiting relatives get to you?:) lol
      Sam how would you build a Garage that height and be able to get in and out of it? It would also look odd being that high… Does Tony have his garage built up that height? The Neighbors with the Million $ home North of the Cottage doesn't appear to have a elevated garage??? That is Strange..Why the Cottage?? Just my thoughts:p^_^B)

Jennie/Florida on May 21, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    • No elevated garage,had 32" of water in there during Isabel,22" during Irene.I had adjusted the garage doors the winter before sealing some air leaks and Irene's storm surge hit and left quick where Isabel's surge stayed for about 7-8 hours.

TonyE on May 21, 2013 at 10:50 pm
    • That's why I said that I wouldn't build a garage Jennie, no need for it.:)

540sam on May 22, 2013 at 3:29 am
    • Maybe I can add a little insight to the seemingly contradictory statements concerning storm surges at this location and how high the house should be. I'm absolutely not implying any bloggers are incorrect, in fact I believe all are correct about the facts for their situation but it may just be a little more complicated than at first appears.

Facts that we know are that new construction must be raised by at least 1% higher than the highest recorded water height above mean sea level over the previous 100 yrs. DIY did this and some more so they stated clearly. Alicia and another family member who lived here both told us that the flooding from Isabel was the highest ever known at the house and that it came up to just below the first floor windows. That looks to be about 3.5ft above the ground level as it was. DIY raised the house some 5 ft, backfilled about 18 in and then built a raised foundation of another 3-4 ft. Thus, the present house is about 5 ft. higher than the original and more that 1 ft. above the highest ever flood height. :)
      Cont…..

Clive on May 21, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    • I believe TonyE, who has been exceptionally helpful in blogging with his local knowledge, lives in or close to Sea Level, less than 2 miles to the SW on Nelson Bay. The BC is on the more easterly facing coast, not on a bay or inlet. Storm surges coming up the coast (as they would with hurricanes) cause water to ‘pile-up’ in bays and inlets. We saw this tragically with superstorm Sandy in NY and the recent Japanese Tsunami where the major flooding was inland up bays and estuaries and not as much on the open coastlines. It’s entirely possible, despite the short distance between the points that, due to their location TonyE and the BC received very different flood levels with Irene ad Isabel. TonyE is correctly reporting the flood levels at his location and the Robinsons were reporting correctly at their location. As with so many things in property and realty, it’s yet another case of ‘location, location, location’. :) This is just my take using the facts as we know them and the science of storm surge flooding. :D

Clive on May 21, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    • We can talk about he said, she said untill we are all blue in the face. The fact is, I wasn't there for either storm, but about 300mi north as the crow flies. I do know that the storm track came ashore with the storm surge at both of those locations. The first storm I can remember after moving to the east coast was, I think Hazel, the eye passed right over me, in like 53 or 54, and i've been through all of them since. I've seen the surges at point of landfall, pretty scarey, because of the rain and blow you can't see it untill it's right on top of you. Trust me that mile or so makes no difference

540sam on May 21, 2013 at 4:21 pm
    • Sam I bet you have some amazing stories you could tell about hurricanes. When I was knee high to a grasshopper I remember a trip my family took to the beaches around Wilmington, we may have been staying on Carolina, Long, Wrightsville, etc… I'm not sure of the exact beach. What I do remember was a massive concrete mountain that was in the rear of a parking lot of a local shop many blocks back from the beach. Me and my brothers wanted to play on it!! The shop owner told my mom that was a piece of a structure that Hurrincane Hazel ( 18 ft storm surge) destroyed and brought him. He said he would never remove it, unless he was made to. This was twenty plus years after that storm, and that mountain of concrete and where the ocean drove it to and left it has never left my memory. If the Atlantic Ocean wants to claim something it will….doesn't matter what we as humans think. Best to properly insure the home and leave when a Hurricane is coming.

Mel on May 21, 2013 at 6:54 pm
    • It can be somewhat hairy depending on the storm, Hazel picked me up and blew me about 75' through the air before I came down, I thought it was funny at the time, storm makes rain feel like bullets(don't let anything it picks up hit you) The most fun is when you have you boat tied up in a marina, most people double tie and leave, I'm one who double ties and stays with the boat, that's where you can appreciate a storm surge one in the early 70's raised my boat so quick that by the time I reset my stern lines had raised the boat so high it snapped all 4 bow lines before I could get foreward to them, that was exciting, but no damage. Did loose the roof of the marina though.

540sam on May 22, 2013 at 3:53 am
    • Facts as we know them, Sea Level and Atlantic are on the same storm surge category map and rated the same. Sandy caused so much damage because so many of those homes were in a bad position because they hadn't had a storm like that since the 30's and people have short memories. The pile-up or stacking occurs in estuaries where tide wind and rain hold the water in them and a storm surge is not a tidal wave. Storm surges are a continuous build of water and water will always seek it's own level and in 1or 2mi on the core sound there can't be 4' in difference, in rivers or bays, yes but not open water as such.

540sam on May 22, 2013 at 4:12 am
    • The same way I would commute Jenie, by boat. In case of a storm and evacuation, I can be back ay my hous by water quicker than by road. And Tony will have to cjime in about his garage.

540sam on May 21, 2013 at 4:08 pm
    • There isn't much I would change because I think it is nearly perfect as it is but if money were no issue, I would add some things:
      1. I would add a 21/2 car garage and use the 1/2 space for storage of outdoor items and lawn mower. I would have a 2nd story to the garage and would have a small apartment/artist loft area with a 1/2 bath, tiny kitchenette, sleeping area and the rest open space with lots of skylights to let in the light.
      2. I would add an exercise pool, either a lap pool or an "endless Pool" type of pool for exercise and cooling off.
      3. I would add maid service once a week to do the heavy-lifting type of cleaning and to keep me on my toes with the regular everyday cleaning (because let's face it, if someone is coming in to clean, I'm going to make sure that everything is in pretty good shape before they do :p).

Windsmurf on May 21, 2013 at 9:27 am
    • Clive I'll play! I'm keeping the faucet. Love it. I would absolutely screen in all the porches. Nice to sleep outside on those wonderful Carolina nites and gaze at the stares. I would buy a telescope for sure and set up in the pergola. Love to have my music buddies come by and play music on the porch till late at nite. So need space for about 10- 15 folding chairs to be stored when not in use. And is there a BBQ? How can you live in NC without a way to make some pulled pork and ribs??? Slow cooked…mmm I can smell them now with some homemade sauce. Must have an area for a garden. Fenced in of course. Love to have a clothes line nearby to hang up my wonderful 100% cotton sheets for that outdoor freshness.Too much girly girl stuff for ya' Clive? I really need a place to park my canoe near the beach and a place to park my vespa. I'm not going to complain because in the past the blog cabins came with nothing!!!! No furniture! Nada! So to have some of the previous owners heirlooms is such an incredible gift! The house I'm sure has wonderful karma! Good game Clive. Hokiemom

Ashtabulannie on May 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    • I'd love to come visit when you have your music buddies playing and the BBQ going ;-) And I want to make this official…..if I win the cabin, that faucet is yours! ;-)

karenlin91 on May 21, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    • karenlin91, thank you!! And I happen to really need new bathroom fixtures in this old house!!! The urinal ambiance goes with my bidet and always seat up "guy" house. SPLASH!!!

Ashtabulannie on May 22, 2013 at 9:51 am
    • LOL I hear that splash!!

karenlin91 on May 22, 2013 at 10:00 am
    • Yep on the BBQ and jams.We used to have 2 pig pickings a year with 2-3 Bluegrass bands and several extras for later around the fire.

TonyE on May 21, 2013 at 11:02 pm
    • Oh man! Once I went to a BBQ where they cooked the whole pig in the ground, I'm not sure how long, but a looooooooong time…..Perfection!!! That and music would be perfect for a big ol' party!

karenlin91 on May 22, 2013 at 9:24 am
    • Great idea! Hawaii Pig roast. Don't have to clean the grill after! And you already have an evening fire to keep the skeeters at bay. Pun intended. In my opinion life just doesn't get any better than a warm summer evening with a roasted pig, good friends and good music and some wine/beer. And a beautiful water view!!!! I can die a happy woman! When you really think about it….. a house is only a house until you fill it with great people, family and friends. Then it becomes a home. Sorry don't mean to wax poetic. That's Coops job.

Ashtabulannie on May 22, 2013 at 9:59 am
    • May not be your job, but ya done good! ;-)

karenlin91 on May 22, 2013 at 10:15 am
    • TonyE bring your fiddle, banjo, guitar, etc and some tunes to share and some cold beer…… sounds like a perfect evening.

Ashtabulannie on May 22, 2013 at 9:53 am
    • Yeah, it does! And we invite the neighbors on either side, so they can't complain about noise ;-)

karenlin91 on May 22, 2013 at 10:02 am
    • OH thanks for the reminder! Always invite the neighbors!!! Forgetting my southern hospitality.

Ashtabulannie on May 22, 2013 at 8:11 pm
    • 1. Garage with storage built in for outdoor furniture and yard gear.
      2. Solar powered Greenhouse – organic veggies year round!
      3. Screen in side porch.

Thanks for the fun, Clive!

Grammagail on May 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    • - extend dock (contingent on getting necessary permits)…with boat lift
      - garage / storage area for lawn equipment and toys
      - screen in the front porch

RLD on May 22, 2013 at 6:46 pm
  2. I really miss the cam. I know there is not much going on but I just loved looking at everything from the water to the house. Such a beatiful scene all around. Nature at its best. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 20, 2013 at 3:28 pm
    • Ditto, I sure do miss looking at that ocean view!:(

SID on May 20, 2013 at 4:08 pm
    • Me too, Rebecca! I still check in daily, but not on computer long. How you feeling, sweetie? You are such a bright star and breath of fresh air to our Blog! have I told you that lately? Much Love always!^_^:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 20, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    • Me too! Right now I would be perfectly happy to see the water!

karenlin91 on May 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm
    • I agree with all of the above…Even though they have surprises for us, I think they could have maybe pointed the camera towards the water view–somehow–so that we'd still be surprised but at the same time be able to enjoy the view.

TishaStanley on May 20, 2013 at 7:34 pm
    • Great idea, Tisha!!! Wow! Wonder why nobody else thought of that? B):p;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm
  3. A lot of good ideas today. Much thought has gone into these ideas.
    The first thing I would do would be to put my name on the mail box.
    Yes a boat lift is necessary with a bench or two at end of dock.
    Would also have a whole house generator installed to keep everything running when the power is down.
    That happens a lot in the summer.

Jay Michajluk on May 20, 2013 at 9:49 pm
    • I think you already have your wish for the generator. Bloggers saw a Kohler generator being delivered some time back. :)

AnniesOwn on May 20, 2013 at 9:53 pm
    • Nice that you saw the Generator ,Annie! I think that is the only thing I hoped for. I would be soooo happy to live there and enjoy the beauty. I can not wait to see the pictures in July. ;) I would love to work with the flower but hope my family will take care of the grass. Too much for me to do anymore. It would be nice if the bloggers would stop visit. We could enjoy all this together. Call ahead, please ! ;) We could make some of those delicious breakfasts the so many of us have seen Jennie make. what fun ! I too love to dream. ;) Have a great day everyone ! Thanks DIY for allowing us to dream. Someone will be a very fortunate winner. ;) <3 best to all Nan

Nan on May 21, 2013 at 8:51 am
    • I had a GE whole house generator (natural gas) installed this past January. Would not have another house without one.

Jay Michajluk on May 21, 2013 at 10:36 pm
    • Jay, you're right. Peace of mind is so worth it!B):D Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 21, 2013 at 11:16 pm
  4. Good morning, everyone! The coffee is on, so, lets head to the dock, this morning….

TishaStanley on May 21, 2013 at 7:15 am
    • I'm there! I'll stop on the way and bring donuts….Maybe we will see dolphins today, and if we don't, the view will be enough……..and the company ;-)

karenlin91 on May 21, 2013 at 8:03 am
    • Right behind you, rod and reel in hand.:)

540sam on May 21, 2013 at 8:03 am
    • Before we start our busy day, let's all send a prayer to the families who lost loved ones in that massive Oklahoma tornado. How awful that was. On a side note, I hope the Powerball winner is reading this, and will donate a bunch of that massive amount of $$ to the victims. I hope everyone has a great day, and let's think of those families. I have seen the results of 2 tornadoes, up close, in my life time, and I never want to even be close to another. I have a friend who resides in Oklahoma, so I hope it was not this area. :(

Builder on May 21, 2013 at 8:14 am
    • I will absolutely keep these people in my prayers!!

TishaStanley on May 21, 2013 at 9:04 am
    • Have been doing so since yesterday and will continue to do so.

JudyInMich on May 21, 2013 at 11:39 am
  5. Good morning everyone. As we peruse the aspects of this wonderful cabin, lets send our strength, our thoughts and prayers to the people of Moore, OK. Also, be sure to give your children and loved ones an extra hug.

Dghawk4 on May 21, 2013 at 8:04 am
    • Done!!

TishaStanley on May 21, 2013 at 9:05 am
    • Done!!

JudyInMich on May 21, 2013 at 11:38 am
  6. My Heart pains to think of what those People in Oklahoma went through and witnessed yesterday. Those poor Children in the schools, so young to be in this devastating tragedy…I pray for those who have lost Loved ones and their Homes.. It's a Terrible Nightmare for All…

There are more Tornados expected Today as the Storms move East, So Let us Pray that lives won't be taken away…Please Stay Safe!!!<3<3

Jennie/Florida on May 21, 2013 at 9:59 am
  7. Dear Sid, Those Storms are headed your way, I'm so worried for You and Your family…So Please hunker down and if possible keep in touch to let us know that You are OK!!! Our Blogging Buddy <3<3^_^

Jennie/Florida on May 21, 2013 at 10:10 am
    • Hi Jenny! I am happy to report we are safe and snug here. Our immediate area is only receiving rain and moderate thunderstorms, with nothing too bad expected over the next 24 hours. Our home is located at the south east edge of the Ouachita Mountain range. Fortunately for us, tornadoes rarely climb into the highlands. As major storm systems approach the mountains they tend to split and travel down through the valleys, following the path of roads running north and south of our own community. This is lucky for us, but very sad for neighboring residents who live in valleys or open plains areas. In the five years since we retired here we have seen many homes only a few miles away destroyed, and most heartbreaking of all lives lost. Thank you for your kindness in worrying about us dear blogging buddy! <3<3<3 And I pray all our other blogging buddies are safe as well. <3<3<3

SID on May 21, 2013 at 4:00 pm
    • Hi Sid, so glad to hear from You and know that you're OK! Good to know you're not in the path of those Terrible Tornados..
      My Daughter's in-laws live in Fort Worth, Texas and this same Storm went through and the tail end of it spawned Tornados just South of them and destroyed the whole town..They had high winds, flooding Rains with baseball size Hail that destroyed their Roof of 2yrs. but they are safe…The outbreak of this front has been so Powerful and Destructive….So glad You're Safe Dear Friend..Just keep us posted Please.<3^_^<3

Jennie/Florida on May 21, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    • So glad you are safe, Sid. Prayers for those from the storms. <3

Nan on May 21, 2013 at 6:17 pm
    • Thank you too Nan! The news from Okla. on TV tonight is so sad. I cannot imagine how it must feel to lose everything in a few moments like that, your home, your whole neighborhood, worse even loved ones and friends. It is wonderful to imagine and dream of winning a beautiful home on the NC sound, but tonight I feel so very fortunate just counting the everyday blessings that really matter; the safety of family, friends and even dearly beloved pets! <3

SID on May 21, 2013 at 7:54 pm
    • Well said ,SID. I can only echo your thoughts of how fortunate we are. Going back to Bing Crosby's old song ," and counting little curly heads, I go to sleep, counting my blessings ! When we do not have much and making "ends meet" is becoming harder all the time, just thankful for the roof over my head. Not to be dramatic, but true. Prayers continue for those that are in such need. <3

Nan on May 23, 2013 at 11:54 am
    • <3<3<3

SID on May 23, 2013 at 11:57 am
  8. Wow, would love to have been there!

Basement Waterproof on May 21, 2013 at 10:35 am
  9. I know a lot of you have already said this, but my thoughts and prayers are with those in Oklahoma, and everywhere else that may be touched by the storms. Everyone here that are in danger, please be safe! Living in Sacramento, I sometimes miss real weather, but now is not one of those times! I've been way to close to tornados too many times and have family and friends close now. I pray that every one stays safe ( and hopefully have basements or storm cellars)

karenlin91 on May 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm
  10. OH im sad to see no more live cam! I cant wait til voting time!!!!! Hoping to win blog cabin 13… Lagrange NC Kendi :) :)

kendi davis on May 21, 2013 at 3:22 pm