May 13

Behind the Scenes: Filming a Blog Cabin Episode

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2013

I had the privilege of being a fly on the wall during the filming of the “Kitchen Crashers” episode of Blog Cabin 2013 (May 4-5). This was my first opportunity to watch the filming of a DIY Network show. What a thrill!

The crew was an absolute delight. Producer Jay Baker greeted me as if I was one of the gang. His big Tennessee smile made me feel immediately at ease. And Chris Grundy and Alison Victoria? Top-notch talent, humble, gracious … and oh so funny. Chris proved a laugh a minute, while Alison, without missing a beat, whipped out the classic comebacks. On-screen chemistry in spades!

Cameras were catching every moment of the ad libs, few of which will hit the cutting room floor, I am sure. The crew muscled through a grey, cold rainy Saturday to capture scenes for a captivating how-to project. Chris and Alison first picked through the reclaimed wood pile and then headed to a makeshift construction area near the dock where they sliced down, then ripped beams for a very cool kitchen furnishing (Hint: It has legs. And don’t be surprised if some matching coasters surface). Cabinet installation followed by a field trip were also on the day’s filming to-do list.

Candid Snaps: Blog Cabin 2013 Location
Candid Pictures of Blog Cabin 2013 Area

I had the opportunity to chat with Jay in between takes. I was fascinated by his creative process and his approach to this year’s episode. “My thought is to always to land at the place, take a look at the environment and figure out a way to involve as much of that environment into the show as possible,” he said. “We are in a special place that people will travel extensively to get to. We all have. So let’s show people why.”

Small kitchen size is a challenge this year, but Jay plans some workarounds; directing such talented hosts definitely helps. “You get someone with Chris’s energy level around someone with Alison’s energy level: They just self motivate. They are great at that. You just try to repeat that over and over and over because that’s why someone at home would want to watch this.”

For Grundy, being the Blog Cabin 2013 master of ceremonies has been a blast from the get-go. Although this year’s home is a tad smaller than the 2012 Maine home, the coastal location, beautiful water views and friendly locals make up for the building challenges. Mutual affection amongst crew members also makes for a stellar experience. “I love working with all the people that are here. I like having fun and all these people make me laugh,” he says. “And Alison Victoria — from the moment she shows up in a boat, everything gets better.”

Note: Although Cabin Cam comes down today, we have alot more to share, including a Q&A with our remodeling experts, an interview with the interior designer and content related to HGTVRemodels.com’s Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package. Stay tuned!

1. Really, really, really miss the cabin cam! Sorry I missed breakfast, Jennie. Have been busy lately but always loved my morning and evening visit to NC. I think the space all the way to July 16 is too long unless a new picture shows up almost daily. Boredom sets in and people go away. The habit of checking in is broken. Then they forget to re-engage in July.

Grammagail on May 18, 2013 at 12:11 pm
    • Gail, maybe some will forget to come back and enter…better odds for us? ;) :p I know it's selfish of me but I can't help myself – I'm shamelessly in love!:$<3

SID on May 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm
    • Ditto <3<3<3<3<3<3<3 :) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    • Hope you are having less pain Kitty, and are enjoying lovely spring weather. I'm guessing you're already packing for Maine! Hugs, Sandy<3<3<3

SID on May 18, 2013 at 3:59 pm
    • Here's to hoping that you are feeling better Kitty.:)

540sam on May 18, 2013 at 6:38 pm
  2. Mary, I agree about the cam,we need it back. Could you just have them turn it facing the water? Missing the view,Thanks ,Ways

Angelways on May 18, 2013 at 4:39 pm
  3. Chris just posted a pic of the house from the pagoda…….. https://twitter.com/thechrisgrundy/status/3358622
    at this point, I'm thrilled with this, at least it's SOMETHING ;-)

karenlin91 on May 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    • I don't do Facebook so thank you for posting Karen! I'm also thrilled by any new photos. From the angle of the photo we finally get a peak at the landscaping on the East (driveway) side. :D

SID on May 18, 2013 at 6:04 pm
      What a Great Photo!!! Now I really love the Pergola and the nice view We see of the Cottage. Doesn't all the Greenery and Flowers look beautiful around the porch???They look like they have been there for a while and not just planted…That's why big plants make a wow statement!!! Love it<3^_^B)
      Like Sid, I don't do Facebook, So I really appreciate You sharing the Photo with Us :p<3

Jennie/Florida on May 18, 2013 at 7:39 pm
    • Yeah, it was nice to see a little bit more of the greenery……they do look like they've been there always….. I keep haunting Chris's facebook and will post any that I can find ;-)

karenlin91 on May 19, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    • I agree it is quite beautiful-a lovely home

bogartand bacall on May 19, 2013 at 1:18 am
    • WOW Karen,
      Not into Facebook the place looks amazing.
      Hope Chris sends a few pics of the back of the house. :D <3xD

Thanks a bunch!

MaryPA on May 19, 2013 at 11:43 am
    • Hi Karen ! Will I be able to hit your "post" and see the picture ? I do not do twitter or face book. Will that automatically put me on Twitter? I do not want to do that. Any help much appreciated. Like so many , I am starved for a look. It is so nice of Chris to give pictures to the bloggers. Can not wait ! Hope to be able to see it. Thanks Karen. Just Dreaming on a dreary Sunday afternoon in PA. The shrubs in my yard are loveing the off and on rains. as some one said before, so is the Blog Cabin's new sod and plants.
      Some parts of the country are having awful tornados and floods. We are fortunate and thankful. ;)
      Have a wonderful day everyone. best bto all Nan ;) <3

Nan on May 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    • Just click on the link Nan. All it does is take you to the picture Chris posted on his Twitter account, nothing else. Enjoy the view. :)

AnniesOwn on May 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm
    • Hi Nan! No, the direct link that Karen posted just opens that great photo so it should be safe to click on and open. I don't think that unless you register and log in on Facebook or Twitter that they can follow you. Although many of my friends participate, like you I don't feel comfortable with most social media sites. They just seem too public – kind of creepy to me! Years ago I used to occasionally blog on the other HGTV sites (Dream Home, Urban Oasis, Green Home), but now they've gotten so big that too many undesirable posts were showing up. While I still very occasionally read the posts, I no longer post any comments myself. The BC blog is so very well administered, and most of the folks here so helpful and kind, that I have always felt very comfortable here. <3

SID on May 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Nan on May 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm
    • SID is right Nan, you have to register and login for facebook or twitter…..you should be fine just going to the picture…I know that staved feeling…..I keep haunting Chris because every once in a while he throws us a bone, lol….And yes, Jennie, I think, said that the blog cabin was getting rain for a while, it should be great for the sod and new plants….and I would dearly love to see how far the water comes up to the dock, and watch the sunrise or sunset on the new yard…;-)
      Here's hoping all tornados blow away, and all floods drain and snow stops, and the wind in Sacramento, and give everybody a break!

karenlin91 on May 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    • Thanks. Great pic!

StellaF on May 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Nan on May 20, 2013 at 9:53 pm
    • Thank you Annie. All of you are soooo nice ,as always

Nan on May 20, 2013 at 10:01 pm
  4. Yes that is a great shot. I like the way the house is framed with the pagoda. There sure a lot more grass then the last cam shot. :-)

Jay Michajluk on May 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm
  5. Hey Jennie, I hope you bought your lottery ticket in Zephyrhills, Fla.

540sam on May 19, 2013 at 4:03 am
    • If we do not hear anything from Jennie anymore, we definitely know she is the very lucky Florida winner of the Powerball jackpot. :) How can any one individual ever spend that much money?

Builder on May 19, 2013 at 9:07 am
    • Wouldn't it be wonderful if it was Jennie…..we could all say we knew her when ;-) and maybe the luck would spread to the blog ;-)

karenlin91 on May 19, 2013 at 9:30 am
    • So Sad to say I didn't win, but if I had, after the Winner of the Cottage was announced, I would be there sitting on the doorsteps waiting for the Winner to Sell Our Cottage to Me…I would make them an offer they couldn't refuse and I would invite all my Blogging friends to have One heck of a Party that would last for weeks!! LOL :pxD:)B) After that I would have Everyone to put their Names in a hat and I would draw a name for every week for 10 months and those Bloggers would get to Enjoy a week at Our Beautiful little Cottage on the water..:p:);)^_^B)<3 Sharing does the Heart Good!!!B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 19, 2013 at 10:11 am
    • You are the sweetest ,Jennie ! What a beautiful thought. I agree- sharing does give a wonderful feeling. The old saying , it is better to give than recieve , is just that. Hope that maybe more than one person was in on that winning ticket. Many could share such a large prize.
      we can still dream about "our" Blog Cabin! and enjoy each other's friendship- best to all ;) <3

Nan on May 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    • What a wonderful plan Jennie! Now I am double-y sorry you didn't win ;-)

karenlin91 on May 19, 2013 at 4:34 pm
  6. Hi Sam and Builder, No such luck:( Zephyrhills is on the West coast in Tampa area..Too bad ONLY one Winner.
    It would have been nice if at least 50 people could have won to split the winnings..That is just tooooo much money for One person to handle…I hope they invest and spend their wealth wisely and don't end up losing it all..Some winners have because they didn't know how to handle their winnings and didn't get someone to advise them.That amount of Money is just too overwhelming to me!!! I would settle for 1million, wouldn't you o.0B)^_^

Jennie/Florida on May 19, 2013 at 9:36 am
    • I agree Jennie, that much money would be such a responsibility, not to mention the personal danger it would possibly cause to oneself and one's loved ones. Good luck when the BC contest starts – now that's a prize we could live with and totally enjoy! :D :p<3

SID on May 19, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    • She moved to Jacksonville, wonder if she s close to SH!

coolsmiley on July 22, 2013 at 10:38 am
  7. I Wish there was house crashers. I have 1700 square feet of run down home not to mention yard. Do Crashers ever come to florida, winter springs to be exact.?

carol on May 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    • I wish there was also!!! The closest anyone ever gets to me is NYC….and I am more than 8 hours away from there. My entire house is falling down around me!!! Wish I'd known that was gonna happen Before I bought it…

TishaStanley on May 20, 2013 at 3:04 pm
    • Whoops, you must not have had a home inspection. Mike Holmes would have advised you of all defects. :)

Builder on May 20, 2013 at 5:48 pm
  8. Hi guys, how is everyone doing? Another weekend over so soon. At least the nice weather is really starting to show. It would really be nice to be at the BC this time of year. Waking to the sound of the birds singing the waves crashing. Ahhhh to be at the BC right now….. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm
  9. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101516803840
    Chris was at Shackleford Island with the wild horses yesterday Short video but hey…I'll take it!

karenlin91 on May 20, 2013 at 9:36 am
    • Thank you again Karen, only this time I couldn't open the link.=/:(

SID on May 20, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    • hummm, the video was on facebook….guess you have to have facebook to get it…..I'll try to figure out a way to post it somewhere else……I'm sorry

karenlin91 on May 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm
  10. Oh no! I came in to check the blog and no one is here, or has been here since yesterday! I was gonna offer coffee in the pergola, and try to talk Jennie into cooking one of her cool breakfasts…
    Did you all go somewhere else and I just can't find it? Has everyone gone on to their lives since we don't have the cam, or any other input? MARY, YOU'RE LOSING US!!! (Hopefully she'll hear me if I yell)

karenlin91 on May 20, 2013 at 9:41 am
    • Hi Karen, I'm checking in….I'm so ready for Mary to give us something New..Tooooo much time in between updates …I Really don't understand why, because she knows that We are suffering from Camera Cam shut down!! o.0o.0o.0 Bloggers give up and leave the BC!
      Maybe the Bloggers are getting their Spring Gardens refreshed and Veggie garden planted. I know I have been working daily to get everything done before it gets toooo Hot here in Florida…B)
      Karen I made breakfast for All on Saturday Morn but Sid and I were the only ones who showed up..So We had our Breakfast at the end of the Dock where "Jason and Crew built Seating and a nice Umbrella table"..I told Sid we might have to fight off the Birds for Our breakfast LOL
      Karen bring your Coffee, I do have leftovers that are still fresh, Cantaloupe and Dried Plum & Apple Loaf
      w/ Crumble Topping and made Fresh Scrambled Eggs..Since it's raining at the Cottage, We will have to go and sit up under Our outdoor Porch under the Pecan trees! Lovely Setting…Enjoy!!^_^B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 20, 2013 at 11:02 am
    • We should be getting responses to our Q&A segment soon.

540sam on May 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    • I'm still here…got more coffee coming as well as iced tea….

TishaStanley on May 20, 2013 at 1:20 pm
    • I'm still here, just checking in a couple of times a day. Hope Mary gives us something more soon.

JudyInMich on May 20, 2013 at 1:24 pm
    • Thank you for being here Jennie, Sam, Tisha and Judy…..had a bit of a panic for a minute ;-)
      Breakfast under the outside porch sounds great…perfect place to watch and enjoy the rain ;-)
      I've been working on garden and yard in the morning before it gets too hot here….we've already gone for 90plus, but Delta breezes usually keep the mornings cool …
      Hopefully Mary will take pity soon…..;-)

karenlin91 on May 20, 2013 at 7:37 pm