May 13

Behind the Scenes: Filming a Blog Cabin Episode

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2013

I had the privilege of being a fly on the wall during the filming of the “Kitchen Crashers” episode of Blog Cabin 2013 (May 4-5). This was my first opportunity to watch the filming of a DIY Network show. What a thrill!

The crew was an absolute delight. Producer Jay Baker greeted me as if I was one of the gang. His big Tennessee smile made me feel immediately at ease. And Chris Grundy and Alison Victoria? Top-notch talent, humble, gracious … and oh so funny. Chris proved a laugh a minute, while Alison, without missing a beat, whipped out the classic comebacks. On-screen chemistry in spades!

Cameras were catching every moment of the ad libs, few of which will hit the cutting room floor, I am sure. The crew muscled through a grey, cold rainy Saturday to capture scenes for a captivating how-to project. Chris and Alison first picked through the reclaimed wood pile and then headed to a makeshift construction area near the dock where they sliced down, then ripped beams for a very cool kitchen furnishing (Hint: It has legs. And don’t be surprised if some matching coasters surface). Cabinet installation followed by a field trip were also on the day’s filming to-do list.

Candid Snaps: Blog Cabin 2013 Location
Candid Pictures of Blog Cabin 2013 Area

I had the opportunity to chat with Jay in between takes. I was fascinated by his creative process and his approach to this year’s episode. “My thought is to always to land at the place, take a look at the environment and figure out a way to involve as much of that environment into the show as possible,” he said. “We are in a special place that people will travel extensively to get to. We all have. So let’s show people why.”

Small kitchen size is a challenge this year, but Jay plans some workarounds; directing such talented hosts definitely helps. “You get someone with Chris’s energy level around someone with Alison’s energy level: They just self motivate. They are great at that. You just try to repeat that over and over and over because that’s why someone at home would want to watch this.”

For Grundy, being the Blog Cabin 2013 master of ceremonies has been a blast from the get-go. Although this year’s home is a tad smaller than the 2012 Maine home, the coastal location, beautiful water views and friendly locals make up for the building challenges. Mutual affection amongst crew members also makes for a stellar experience. “I love working with all the people that are here. I like having fun and all these people make me laugh,” he says. “And Alison Victoria — from the moment she shows up in a boat, everything gets better.”

Note: Although Cabin Cam comes down today, we have alot more to share, including a Q&A with our remodeling experts, an interview with the interior designer and content related to HGTVRemodels.com’s Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package. Stay tuned!

1. Missing the camera but I guess all good things must come to an end. Can't wait for the tour on-line. Thanks for all the hard work everyone put into this house. Everything looks fantastic. Thanks for an exciting past couple of months.

Noreen on May 17, 2013 at 11:33 am
  2. Good afternoon everyone. I hope everyone is doing well aside from missing the camera, crew and that beautiful home :$. I would just love to be sitting there sipping my ice tea and watching the water and all the surrounding natural beauty and the BC. I really would love to be sitting on the dock and see a couple of dolphins. That would be just amazing to me. Look at me stuck in another day dream! haha Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 17, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    • LOL…we're all still daydreaming!!!!

TishaStanley on May 17, 2013 at 3:12 pm
    • I'll join you there on the dock with our coffee in the morning. Have a good night. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on May 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm
  3. One word, it is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you al!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zisan on May 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm
  4. I will miss the cabin cam……everyday I would get it serveral times to see what was going on and to take a look at the beautiful ocean. sniff……sniff……

Mary Corbett on May 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm
    • I know what you mean Mary, ditto with the sniff…..sniff ….. I'm suffering so awfully from BC withdrawl!:'(

SID on May 17, 2013 at 7:26 pm
  5. Just went to Chris' Twitter page and there is a picture of Chris catching a big fish.

Millie on May 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm
    • pic.twitter.com/1N44CywFxU

Millie on May 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm
    • Was trying to post like the picture above, but did not make it. The link did not work. Maybe this one will https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKbI4zKCYAAUb_h.jpg

Millie on May 17, 2013 at 7:07 pm
    • Thanks Millie.. Do you have your fishing pole ready? Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on May 17, 2013 at 8:41 pm
    • You bet I do. Some of my best memories are going fishing barefoot with my father. Another was going deep-sea fishing with a brother (I got seasick). Decided I could not go out in a boat, but can fish just fine from a dock or beach.

Millie on May 18, 2013 at 12:42 pm
  6. Can anyone tell me if voting on the blog cabin was how you enter the contest? I never saw a form for entry like there is for the smart home.

beachgirl1958 on May 17, 2013 at 9:00 pm
    • Look under the "Coming Attractions"tab at the top of this page. Everything you want to know is there. :)

AnniesOwn on May 17, 2013 at 10:31 pm
    • Thank you!

beachgirl1958 on May 18, 2013 at 10:12 pm
    • Enter later this summer.

Angelways on May 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm
  7. I really like the porch who am I kidding I like it all .

lorraine on May 17, 2013 at 10:41 pm
  8. Good Morning Everyone!!! It's another beautiful day in NY…still would like to be in Carolina……This cabin is so gorgeous and I'm still anticipating July to start the vote to win….I wish all of us the best!! As for winning the lottery to pay taxes, that's a great idea but NY would take most of the winnings for themselves and the winner gets whatever is left. Still, worth a shot. My In-laws will be here today so I guess I'll chat with you all a little later.

TishaStanley on May 18, 2013 at 8:10 am
  9. Good Saturday Morning to all, Our Cottage is going to get rain for the next four days..Sooo good for the new Sod, all the New plants and Flowers. I just wish We could see!!!o.0^_^ I wonder if Jason and Crew has finished the Dock and wonder if all the other Surprises have been added??? I just get a feeling that we are going to get a screened area where the Foyer entrance is, I don't know why, I guess it's just wishful thinking on my part..a small screened porch area would be better than nothing! Don't you think??

Dear Mary, if your reading our Comments…We are really missing the Cam So would you Please give us something new…NEW pics, the Q&A and the interview with the Interior Designers…:)^_^:p;) Bloggers are leaving..Please give us something to keep everyone here!!!

Well Bloggers, I have Coffee ready and have made a Dried Plum and Apple Loaf with Crumble Topping for breakfast, some Scrambled Eggs and Fresh Cantaloupe for those who just can't stay away like me and hoping the Cam will Come back… Enjoy!!! :p<3

Jennie/Florida on May 18, 2013 at 9:28 am
    • I should Add….We all know the Camera Cam won't come back, but it sure was Fun and Exciting while it lasted and it made my Day!!! ^_^B)<3<3

Jennie/Florida on May 18, 2013 at 9:45 am
    • Hi Jennie, I'll be right over for breakfast after I repot three big ixora shrubs ( you may have them growing in your yard but here in AR we have to drag them inside for the winter! ) Shall we sit under the pergola by the water – from there we will have front row seats just in case they're working on the dock, and still be able to see if they screen in that porch! As you can see I'm still suffering from TruLook camera withdrawl!:(

SID on May 18, 2013 at 9:58 am
    • Good Morning Sid, I'm right there with you. I think We should take Our breakfast out to the end of the dock where Jason has added the nice seating and table at the end…..Hope the weather is nice for breakfast because rain is expected for today! Spring rain is soooo good for the flowers and sod, it gives them a kick start…You don't think We will get attacked by the Birds do you?? I would hate to battle them for Our breakfast, wouldn't you?:p;)^_^ LOL
      Sid I use to have Pink Ixora's but no longer have them, I neglected to cover mine one winter and they didn't survive the frost..Sid I have to tell you my Lincoln Climbing rose is loaded with beautiful blooms and are climbing up and over the top of my Potting shed, they smell soooo good. My wisteria is in full bloom and the bees are really having a feast!! My morning glorys' are in full bloom but seems weird because they usually bloom here in the fall…I have hummingbirds that are hanging around those for now…I am really enjoying my yard because we have cool breezes so far and Sun isn't directly above to really heat up the day…I'm going to cut my grass this morning before we start getting Our rain that is predicted for weekend and all next week…Talk at you later…Be careful dragging those heavy pots!!! ^_^B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 18, 2013 at 11:05 am
    • Jennie your garden sounds absolutely beautiful, especially that Lincoln rose! In PA I grew a Zephirine Drouhin over a pergola. It was vigorous, spectacular in bloom, intensely fragrant and totally thornless! It literally stopped traffic when blooming. I have been tempted to try growing ZD here in Arkansas, but roses are a real struggle between summer heat and humidity, and lots of deer! About the only luck I have had is with the Knock Out variety, and a new yellow called "Grandma's Yellow Rose" that was bred to stand up to Texas summers. I know how hard you work in your garden, but I also can tell it also brings you even more joy than pain! We're having a beautiful spring here in central AR. After the terrible draught last season it is wonderful to see everything in nature so green and healthy. Today we're expecting temps in the mid 90's and humid -YUK! The dock at BC sounds so refreshing!B):D<3

SID on May 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    • Sorry I missed breakfast, but if you have any left, I'll stop by and have a cup of coffee and some of the Plum and Apple Load. I missed breakfast because my youngest granddaughter graduated from high school this morning at 9am. We were up at 5am as she had to be there by 7:45. We have 4 high schools in our town and all the schools graduate on the same day at the Civic Center and by the luck of the draw, her school was first this year.

Millie on May 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm
  10. Hi Mary,

I am new to blogging. I need to agree with the rest of the bloggers. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bring back the cabin cam. I am going through withdrawal. The house and property are absolutely spectacular. Being a native of NC, I would love to own such a magnificent home. I have always wanted to live on the NC coast.

dprentzas on May 18, 2013 at 10:20 am