May 13

Behind the Scenes: Filming a Blog Cabin Episode

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2013

I had the privilege of being a fly on the wall during the filming of the “Kitchen Crashers” episode of Blog Cabin 2013 (May 4-5). This was my first opportunity to watch the filming of a DIY Network show. What a thrill!

The crew was an absolute delight. Producer Jay Baker greeted me as if I was one of the gang. His big Tennessee smile made me feel immediately at ease. And Chris Grundy and Alison Victoria? Top-notch talent, humble, gracious … and oh so funny. Chris proved a laugh a minute, while Alison, without missing a beat, whipped out the classic comebacks. On-screen chemistry in spades!

Cameras were catching every moment of the ad libs, few of which will hit the cutting room floor, I am sure. The crew muscled through a grey, cold rainy Saturday to capture scenes for a captivating how-to project. Chris and Alison first picked through the reclaimed wood pile and then headed to a makeshift construction area near the dock where they sliced down, then ripped beams for a very cool kitchen furnishing (Hint: It has legs. And don’t be surprised if some matching coasters surface). Cabinet installation followed by a field trip were also on the day’s filming to-do list.

Candid Snaps: Blog Cabin 2013 Location
Candid Pictures of Blog Cabin 2013 Area

I had the opportunity to chat with Jay in between takes. I was fascinated by his creative process and his approach to this year’s episode. “My thought is to always to land at the place, take a look at the environment and figure out a way to involve as much of that environment into the show as possible,” he said. “We are in a special place that people will travel extensively to get to. We all have. So let’s show people why.”

Small kitchen size is a challenge this year, but Jay plans some workarounds; directing such talented hosts definitely helps. “You get someone with Chris’s energy level around someone with Alison’s energy level: They just self motivate. They are great at that. You just try to repeat that over and over and over because that’s why someone at home would want to watch this.”

For Grundy, being the Blog Cabin 2013 master of ceremonies has been a blast from the get-go. Although this year’s home is a tad smaller than the 2012 Maine home, the coastal location, beautiful water views and friendly locals make up for the building challenges. Mutual affection amongst crew members also makes for a stellar experience. “I love working with all the people that are here. I like having fun and all these people make me laugh,” he says. “And Alison Victoria — from the moment she shows up in a boat, everything gets better.”

Note: Although Cabin Cam comes down today, we have alot more to share, including a Q&A with our remodeling experts, an interview with the interior designer and content related to HGTVRemodels.com’s Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package. Stay tuned!

1. Wish I could have been there to watch filming! Looks like so much fun transpired and things were getting done! Sad that the Cabin Cam will be down but I'll be excited to see the final reveal! Thanks for the post and the fun photos!

Downonthefarm on May 13, 2013 at 2:44 pm
  2. Mary!! What can we do to keep the cabin cam?? Please? Anything? On my knees here, begging

karenlin91 on May 13, 2013 at 2:50 pm
  3. We REALLY need the cabin cam…..Please, we'll be good, I promise!!!! Don't take it away!!!!:(

Now, who said the "S" word???? It's coming down right now, here in NY, and I think I've said this before–I DON'T WANT ANYMORE!!
    Have a wonderful day!

TishaStanley on May 13, 2013 at 3:03 pm
  4. Is Mr. Grundy describing 'the one that got away'?

Clive on May 13, 2013 at 3:14 pm
    • Looks like it…LOL

TishaStanley on May 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm
    • Yes some of us lonely women need to find our lonely mountain man! Awesome snapshots! I love it! FUN!

Anne Johnson on May 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm
    • This must be getting weird! I will stop please forgive. I know everything comes in its time and place! God bless all you hard working folks and have a great weekend!

Anne Johnson on May 19, 2013 at 4:17 pm
  5. WOW WOW ! Teriffic ! What fun to see everything ! Looks like a lot of hard work, but lots of fun with in the whole event. Sooooo Sad to see the CAM is going down, but can understand that you need to do "stuff' and have Surprises for us to see and love. Really looking forward to the reveal of this wonderful home for a very fortunate person. Thank you all at DIY for giving us the opportunity to try to win.
    Also , anxious to see the Question & Answers coming up.
    Again, Thankks to everyone and the wonderful crew. my very best , Nan ;) <3

Nan on May 13, 2013 at 3:15 pm
  6. I'm certain those are gape vines newly planted at the foot of the pergola pillars. There are horizontal wires for them to grow along also to form a screen around all the sides eccept the sea facing one. I was never certain the old vines were really grape vines as the foliage looked wrong. These look much more like grapes so, hopefuly, there will be muscadines at the cottage for many years to come. Sweet!:D:p

Clive on May 13, 2013 at 3:21 pm
    • My Dear Clive, I know you question the old vines being muscadines, if you go back and read Alicia'a comments on October 24th "Explore the Blog Cabin 2013 Location" she had so many comments about the Cottage, land, the great flowers, fruit trees and bushes in the yard…Her post were Alicia and Alicia9981…You will find out so much about the Cottage and the yard..Alicia was very kind to share so many things with Us and we are so greatful for her comments..I went back and read her comments a few times, they are filled with information and told how much love and happy times were shared in the cozy little Cottage…When you have some time go back and read her comments, they will enlighten you..^_^B)

Jennie/Florida on May 24, 2013 at 9:43 am
    • Oh Clive, She said those were Muscadine vines and as a little girl, she didn't like them!^_^
      Muscadines are Wild grapes so the leaves look different than the tamed Grape leaves!!!o.0B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 24, 2013 at 9:54 am
  7. Hi ,Mary ! Did not mean to neglect you. Thank you so very much for all you do for all of us . You are a good Reporter, Hostess" and Friend. You keep things going for us. This has been an interesting Blog Cabin for me. I have been entering since you started Blog Cabin. However, this is the first year I got into the blogging. What fun ! They are a great group of people and very big help to a novice. You "clues " are there, but I usually do not catch them and fortunately have gotten help from the bloggers.
    Again, many thanks Mary, for a great job. You are appreciated ! my very best , Nan ;) <3

Nan on May 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm
  8. WHAT no cabin cam???? Oh Deer… but it has been fun.

vicki_in_Utah on May 13, 2013 at 3:33 pm
  9. I'm so sad they are removing the cabin cam…I have become addicted to my daily look at this beautiful place. What will I do to pass the time? I guess I will get a lot more of my chores done around the house. I too see the grape vines, I'm sure they will provide a wonderful shady place to sit. I will miss seeing Grundy! Have a blessed day everyone!

rsl73 on May 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm
  10. Gee, what a dunce I am. Mary, Is it the kitchen table from the reclaimed wood ? You said "legs" !
    OK, I am now getting off you ear. Thanks again. Have a great day. Wish you the very best Nan ;) <3

Nan on May 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm