May 8

Along the Waterfront

Blog Cabin 2013 Water Views

A big part of Blog Cabin’s appeal is that phenomenal view of Core Sound. How is the remodeling team making the most of the home’s waterfront location? First, by making sure the newly renovated home offers views from every possible vantage point and then by providing a front-row seat to all the action. Rebuilding the dock took some creative thinking but now offers a spot to bask in the sun, nature watch (yes, dolphins play in these waters) and fish for flounder, red drum, croaker, mullet and skates.

To learn more, please visit the Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com where we’ve just launched features on waterfront views and dock reconstruction. I truly appreciate project manager Dylan Eastman’s sensitive, environmentally friendly approach to home remodeling and land development.

1. HI! Looks like alot of activity down at the cabin this morning, those contactor have done a great job. I was sad to see the swings are gone:( maybe they'll build one somewhere else, I hope so. Can't wait to see what Matt and the crew will do with this majestic cabin. LOVE IT!<3 Well I'm off to my yard work, hope you all have a great day!^_^

WE-Z on May 10, 2013 at 9:13 am
  2. Good morning everyone! Sam I'm sorry I am probably too late for breakfast, :S Rebecca, I think Matt must have heard your pleas for a gazebo. I go away for a couple of days and come back to see that gorgeous pavilion/gazebo/party structure almost finished! :o I absolutely love it! <3:*<3 I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with the bloggers choice of a rustic pergola, thinking the more classic white would have looked better with the new home. What they are building looks absolutely incredible! And I love the pavers! Am I gushing? You bet I am!:pB)<3:D:$ Next perhaps they will make 'everyone' just as happy and also repair or replace the grapevine structure with that rustic pergola the bloggers chose? DIY team you are incredible! Thank you so much for the beautiful home you are creating for some very, very lucky winner! <3<3<3

SID on May 10, 2013 at 9:20 am
    • SID I agree, my love of the BC has doubled seeing the custom design of the pergola/pavilion/gazebo/shade structure over the paver patio.

I would love to know the pattern they laid the pavers in. Looks like the border is being laid now in the soldiers course pattern. It's So freakin' Pretty… they've created a beautiful outdoor room for the winner to enjoy during spring rain showers and the really hot summers we have in NC.

Mel on May 10, 2013 at 9:50 am
    • The pavers were all interlocking, too.

Builder on May 11, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    • I'm hoping the pergola is going where the grapevine is.

540sam on May 10, 2013 at 10:36 am
    • Sid ,very well stated. I couldn not agree more. Hurrah for the DIY team ! ! ! ! Wonderful work. I really do not care what they call it , It's a Welcome addition to the Blog Cabin. So Happy to see this really nice structure. This will be secure and last a very long time. What a wonderful place to relax and enjoy this new home. Cann't wait to see the landscaping when it is completed. Thank You DIY for this great choice. You always do such Wonderful homes. Hope you all get a good rest. best to all ;) <3

Nan on May 10, 2013 at 9:18 pm
  3. WoW ,the Dock will be a great place to spend the day.Alot is going on today at B.C., it is going to be fun to watch!

Angelways on May 10, 2013 at 10:16 am
  4. I have been watching handsome Matt all morning. Love the way the cabin is coming along.

RitaANewYorker on May 10, 2013 at 10:43 am
  5. Sweet! IMO That's a fully covered gazebo under the trees to the left (as we look at it) of the house with a large paved area towards the house, possibly for the keyed-in firepit and maybe the BBQ also. That would free-up a lot of room on the porch if the BBQ weren't there. I'm sure the firepit will not be directly under the trees and hope it's not propane.:)

Looks like the outdoor shower is being built to the left of the house outside the mud room, just as many have suggested. Steps on that side were not in the plans but, clearly, necessary.

Some white pipe (electrical conduit or water?) being laid towards the old grape vine so there's still hope that will be the rustic pergola voted on by viewers.

540sam, you were correct in your color coding of the marker flags. What we thought was a water line from the well to the pier was, clearly, a new electrical line (red flags) to the pier. I guess there's a junction box beside the well head too. Also there's power from that to the gazebo.

It's fun to guess so long as we don't get too upset when our guesses aren't always the final outcome. :)

Clive on May 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    • DIY / HGTV landscaping shows do use the terms gazebo/pergola interchangeably so it's all good !! The only descriptive word I would add is "gabled" And Clive it is SWEET !! Wonder if this is the area we will have outdoor music?
      So much is happening all at once. I'm loving the red blooming plantings. Red is very striking with the color of the home and the existing landscaping.

I'm still wanting some "bling" down by the dock to be done by one of the landscaping shows….I'm hoping for a roof to be installed on the end along with built in seating. The dock still holds so much potential as a designers dream space the " Piece de Resistance" IMO :)

Mel on May 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm
    • LOL Clive, look at the location of the firepit. I wonder how roasted pecans taste?

540sam on May 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm
    • :) Saves the effort of roasting them yourself. I'm hoping the camera is giving us a compressed perspective but that pit certainly looks close to being under the tree branches. o.0

Clive on May 10, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    • Yea, I noticed aroun 1pm the shadow of the trees were over the pit.

540sam on May 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm
    • On a similar vein. They've planted shrubs & bushes in front of the deck which (IMHO) is the best thing to hide the gap, not some sort of critter fencing (which never works unless it goes about 6 ft underground ;) ) that will hold things inside should it flood. However, they built an underground drain instead of gutters and downpipes so the rain will hit those plants like Niagara Falls. I hope they're sturdy. :)

Second point on this is I have always understood that on any drain of this type plant roots will grow into the drain as they follow the best water source. Inevitably, roots will find their way into the drain pipe that was installed to the ditch and then block it. I wonder if they have left an inspection hatch or will it be necessary to excavate the drain to unblock it?

Clive on May 10, 2013 at 6:03 pm
    • That is why the landscape fabric was used, to prohibit roots from entering the drain lines. You must have missed the day they cut the large roll into narrow strips. to fit the trench around the house. The guys had the large roll spread out on the ground in from of the house, for easy cutting.

Builder on May 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm
    • Thanks builder! I missed lots of what happened on the cabin cam during the landscaping install. I have seen exactly what you are talking about on the various landscaping shows. These guys are the best of the best when it comes to landscaping and technique. Also they don't skimp on products. I would bet the stone pavers they installed are resistant to sun bleaching. You get a permanence and beauty with stone like no other product!!
      The addition of the landscaping and outdoor room has taken my love of this home into the Stratoshpere!!

Mel on May 11, 2013 at 6:51 am
    • If you go into Chris Grundy's twitter site, you will see the outdoor shelter is farther from the trees than it appears on the cabin cam.

Just a side note- If you look close you will see the shelter has hurricane straps holding the roof to the posts, similar to the house. Nothing but very strong construction. I'll bet the Robinson family would be shell shocked, to see this magnificent home and surroundings. What a difference 100 years can make in construction. If their old home stood for that many years, you can bet it will take one big super hurricane to even wiggle this one.

Builder on May 11, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    • Builder, I had a clearing foreman tell me once that it was easy to see how far he had to go back to start digging up a tree and that was by looking at the spread of the limbs and branches as they will mirror the root system and the tap root is usually as long as the tree is tall. Just a tidbit.

540sam on May 12, 2013 at 6:00 am
  6. Lots of activity outside today. Every where you look someone is working very hard on the exterior. I cannot wait to see this complete. I do love watching the progress. Hope everyone has an awesome Friday and weekend!!!

nanaofsix on May 10, 2013 at 12:29 pm
  7. New thread of before & after pics on Smart Home blog !!

gremol on May 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm
  8. This is turning out to be one of my favorite cabins !!

gremol on May 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm
  9. WOW EE…there are so many crews and people working at the BC this afternoon. I don't know how they don't run over each other. But they are doing a great job.

vicki_in_Utah on May 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm
  10. Came back in from yardwork, and they've been busy with yardwork too……..new plants and a birdbath under the tree limb where the swings were…..I had just finished telling Carl that I guess they weren't putting the swings back then, when I looked right past the birdbath and saw a swing….they just moved to a different limb! :-)

karenlin91 on May 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm
    • Everyone's busy trying to get our yards and outdoor spaces back in springtime/summer time order. I just finished sewing up faux outdoor patio curtains and getting them put up before checking on here.

It truly would be wonderful to see this BC in person. I would almost wish I could take a tour of all the BCs & DHs for a summer trip. OK….if I can't win the BC….Let me win the Smarthome…and then, I'll come up and tour the BC. I just admire the craftmanship & design of beautiful homes!

Trish on May 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    • That's the trapeze swing that Chris was playing on last week. I guess he was testing it. xD It's always been there. They have moved the other two regular swings to make room for the firepit. :)

Clive on May 10, 2013 at 4:31 pm