May 8

Along the Waterfront

Blog Cabin 2013 Water Views

A big part of Blog Cabin’s appeal is that phenomenal view of Core Sound. How is the remodeling team making the most of the home’s waterfront location? First, by making sure the newly renovated home offers views from every possible vantage point and then by providing a front-row seat to all the action. Rebuilding the dock took some creative thinking but now offers a spot to bask in the sun, nature watch (yes, dolphins play in these waters) and fish for flounder, red drum, croaker, mullet and skates.

To learn more, please visit the Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com where we’ve just launched features on waterfront views and dock reconstruction. I truly appreciate project manager Dylan Eastman’s sensitive, environmentally friendly approach to home remodeling and land development.

1. Wow there still working in the yard painting the pergola. I missed so much today, just peeked in when the crew was rolling in this morning :'(:'(<3 its almost 9 PM.I put on the panning film got filled in and then read the blogs.;);)<3

MaryPA on May 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm
  2. Wow! I was gone all day, but it looks like hosts of people must have descended upon the cabin and worked a great deal of magic! I can't wait to see what is going on with the pergola and the yard! Wish I could see inside the cabin, just a little…. maybe a photo for the next thread? I'm still crossing my fingers for that screen-porch. I can just feel the worn planks of that dock on my bare feet, can't you all? I'm glad to see there will be a light out there–I was beginning to think they had forgotten how we love to wander around at night and look at the stars. Imagine that. Sitting under the stars on the dock, just watching for shooting starts and lightning bugs ;+). Thanks, DIY, for the dreams.

BrookwoodCarolina on May 9, 2013 at 9:08 pm
  3. Gah! I am SO in LOVE with this home….and THIS VIEW!! How awesome a place THIS would be to win/live in/own/LOVE? Ahh! Ill show ya ;)

Angela on May 9, 2013 at 10:16 pm
  4. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I can't even get excited about winning the Blog Cabin because I can't afford to win it because of the income tax I'd have to pay on it. I so wish that this extraordinary sweepstakes was accompanied with at least enough cash to pay the taxes, insurance, etc. like the HGTV Dream Home or Smart Home which comes with $100,000 and a new car. Just saying…..

Ruth Baldwin on May 9, 2013 at 10:31 pm
    • It's a perfectly reasonable question but no one keeps those homes either, even with the cash and cars. Ther winner has to pay tax on those also.

What's the problem with selling it, paying the tax and still having a good profit? Expensive houses cost a lot more in maintenance and general running costs than more modest houses. Keeping the house will involve significantly increased cost of living expenses in perpetuity.

AnniesOwn on May 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm
    • The taxes would be higher, that's for sure. So, if I were to win it, after a HUGE party with all my blog friends, I would set up a B & B, to generate a little extra income, on top of having a job as well. Will it work? I have no idea but if I were lucky enough to win it, I wouldn't want to sell it!!! But, since I'm not a lucky person, I guess I won't really have to worry about that…LOL

TishaStanley on May 10, 2013 at 7:27 am
    • I'm thinking time share with those who would like to have just a few weeks, or maybe vacation rental…we know someone who has a glass house between Tomales Bay and Point Reyes on the Calif coast, and they rent it out, but still have it for themselves sometimes……..;-)

karenlin91 on May 10, 2013 at 7:33 am
    • I am nearly ready to retire, so I could sell my existing home and move here lock, stock and barrell. This home is smaller than my current home and the taxes could not possibly be higher than where I live now. So, once the valuation for tax purposes is set to the real value as opposed to the valuation DIY will place on it, I would be in good shape. That is a long-winded way of saying I am definately going to enter the contest to win this beautiful home. After all of these years having no luck at all, maybe I am due for some good luck. In any case, if you don't try, you sure can't win:p

Windsmurf on May 10, 2013 at 9:17 am
    • Property tax looks like it's low here but compulsory flood insurance could be at least $1000 per month going by the rates that Kitty posted a while back. N. Carolina is in the process of ramping up flood insurance costs dramatically. Howevef, where there's a will there's often a way. Just get good professional advice after you win. Good luck to everyone. :) Potential tax bills are no reason for not entering the sweepstakes.

AnniesOwn on May 10, 2013 at 11:17 am
    • "Compulsory" flood insurance? North Carolina ramping up flood insurance costs? Normally flood insurance, though it is certainly a good idea, is only required by a mortgage lender and flood insursance is either private or federally run. Is North Carolina different in some way?

Ishmael on May 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm
    • Sorry, I wasn't too clear on that. Only compulsory if you have a mortgage or other loan secured on the house. :$

AnniesOwn on May 11, 2013 at 9:14 am
    • $100,000 wouldn't put a dent in either one.

540sam on May 10, 2013 at 10:37 am
    • HI 540Sam, good to see everyone is still dreaming, even though we would probably have to sell it if we win. You know, some rich person could win it and the $400K in taxes wouldn't be an issue… for us, on our social security and small VA disability, we definitely won't be able to 'pay to play' as they say! Unless of course, our Power Ball ticket wins! We got our number–hope everyone else did too! Maybe this time we'll win. If we do, then we'll still watch the Blog Cabin… but definitely will be mega-dreaming…. :=).

BrookwoodCarolina on May 11, 2013 at 9:10 pm
    • We're retired….would sell our current home in MI and still have to cash in some investments in order to pay taxes…..but we would do that for this place. For any of the other places, if we won we would sell the prize home, sell our current home….and build on a lake up here in MI.

RLD on May 10, 2013 at 11:39 am
  5. Does anyone know if the Blog Cabin will be open to tour when it is finished? Have they done that with past houses like they do for the HGTV Dream Home?

Linda Lackey on May 10, 2013 at 2:18 am
  6. I missed most of yesterday, we had a gorgeous beach day here! We didn't get the down pour that the BC got. Yeah for Yard Crashers! The covered area is going to be very nice with the pavers underneath. I can't wait to see more today! Have a blessed Friday everyone!

rsl73 on May 10, 2013 at 5:37 am
  7. Morning, checking things out before I leave. Have a great day everyone. B) B) <3 :D

MaryPA on May 10, 2013 at 6:41 am
  8. Breakfast is being served at the pavilion, happy hour at 5pm.;)

540sam on May 10, 2013 at 6:58 am
    • Darn! I'm late! Anything left? Pavilion is a good word for it.;-)

karenlin91 on May 10, 2013 at 7:24 am
    • OK Karen, brunch for you.

540sam on May 10, 2013 at 8:25 am
    • I'm on my way!!! I have the coffee and tea, and will bring the drink of choice for happy hour @ 5pm…

TishaStanley on May 10, 2013 at 7:28 am
    • Anything left for lunch? I had to give the dog a bath and was late coming to the party.

RLD on May 10, 2013 at 11:42 am
    • Oh Rats did I miss the party?

vicki_in_Utah on May 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm
  9. WooHoo!! I've never seen a property with to much hardscaping! I absolutely freakin' Love hardscape!

Matty Blah Blah you Amaze Me ! Day two of your crash and what a difference you're making….thanks for listening to the bloggers. We have been asking for a shade structure for years over a paver patio. I love the one-of-a-kind custom design you guys brought this year :) It's so unique us bloggers can't agree on what to call it !!
    Doing it Strong Matty and Crew, you guys are Totally ROCKing the yard!!

Mel on May 10, 2013 at 8:24 am
    • Hi Mel, the "Pavilion looks really great and will be so much fun for parties and cookouts, ( that is, If the little mosquito doesn't eat everyone alive) lol. Matt and Chris have been working their Buns off and having a great time…I missed those two waving at the Camera today..
      So many different Crews are working all over the yard, I just wonder if they are going to leave anything for Jason and Desperate Landscapes?? I think Jason is suppose to finish the Dock, maybe he and crew will build the Pergola over by the Grapevines, replace the grapevine post and landscape that area… also around the Foyer "Front" entry door. I think the little porch off of the Master Suite has been done…Boy those landscapers are Worker Bees, aren't they?? I have never seen so many people working at once like they have on this BC! Great fun to watch and trying to figure out what they're doing…Love it ALL :p^_^<3
      Mel, there is a Million Dollar Plus home next door to the north of the BC, but I had rather have this one.
      The family History and the warm feeling I had when I toured the inside just took my heart because I could feel the love and happiness that was in the Cottage^_^:p<3<3 Now it is time for Real dreaming…nighty, nite!!! ^_^:pB)

Jennie/Florida on May 10, 2013 at 11:57 pm
    • DIY did a Fantastic job of marrying the home to the yard with the style of pergola they built. The gables and choosing the white color to match the trim of the home……is just perfect…and the wisdom of using a solid roof for maximum sun protection….again the perfect call. There's no snow load to worry about in this location which would warrant open gables….there is plenty of sun & heat!! Matty & crew provided both cooling & heat to the outdoor living space which will make it much more usable and enjoyable throughout the year!
      Grundy said on Facebook the pergola has a ceiling fan which should help some with mosquitoes. Us Fans of the DIY network landscaping shows have seen the Mosquito Squad used many times to increase the enjoyment of an outdoor room. I Googled them and they do have a Crystal Coast location. I guess if you can afford this home you could afford outdoor misters and chrysanthemum oil :)
      Lastly, I can't wait to here Jason say, "Go Big Or Go Home" one of his popular catch phrases when he adds his magic touch to the dock!
      Here's a link to a little bit of information about gabled pergolas for those curious about them http://www.build.com.au/pergola/pergola-types-and

Mel on May 11, 2013 at 6:33 am
    • One added benefit of doing things on the BC, by the crashers, is they are always surrounded by experienced help, unlike when they crash homes, yards, kitchens, baths, etc. In those cases, the crashers have to pretty much educate those helping, except for the crews they bring with them. In the end, it always turns out to be wonderful.

Builder on May 11, 2013 at 7:30 pm
    • That's a really good point Builder :)

I remember one time when Ahmed was asked on Yard Crashers, "How do you get the grass to stick to the dirt?" as they were installing sod !!
      Ahmed almost fell over laughing and said, " ROOTS " …….that homeowner didn't know nothing about landscaping!!
      The Best of the Best has been working hard on the BC …from Dylan Eastman who has to think of every single possible construction detail, with the added pressure of filming the shows! & Mr Andrew Roby…also mentionable, all of the DIY crews and all of the local sub contractors . They use the best home products that money can buy too.
      Thanks for keeping everything so positive and informative Builder :)

Mel on May 12, 2013 at 8:44 am
    • Yes, just like Mike Holmes always says at the start of his programs, " If you do not know what you are doing, get the heck out, and leave it to someone who knows what they are doing".

Have a terrific Mother's Day to every one.

Builder on May 12, 2013 at 10:24 am
  10. What a gorgeous view!!! This is the most serene spot I've seen yet! Can't wait to see what's next! Love it and you are all doing an exceptional job restoring and renovating this home. So glad it didn't turn to dust and will be loved and cared for by future generations!

mclaughp on May 10, 2013 at 9:08 am