May 8

Along the Waterfront

Blog Cabin 2013 Water Views

A big part of Blog Cabin’s appeal is that phenomenal view of Core Sound. How is the remodeling team making the most of the home’s waterfront location? First, by making sure the newly renovated home offers views from every possible vantage point and then by providing a front-row seat to all the action. Rebuilding the dock took some creative thinking but now offers a spot to bask in the sun, nature watch (yes, dolphins play in these waters) and fish for flounder, red drum, croaker, mullet and skates.

To learn more, please visit the Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com where we’ve just launched features on waterfront views and dock reconstruction. I truly appreciate project manager Dylan Eastman’s sensitive, environmentally friendly approach to home remodeling and land development.

1. Good Morning Everyone, I just saw Matt Blashaw over by the Pecan tree with Chris and Crew..^_^ I wondered if he would be doing any of the structural work other than the Patio area and I got my answer..So glad he is involved..The Rustic Style Pergola won and don't think it was painted white, I thought it was a natural wood color but I'm loving the white..I think they have the pergola pretty close to the pecan tree because it looks as though they have trimmed some of the lower branches of the Pecan tree :( but probably needed to so they would have room to set the Pergola under the tree…
    I was thinking and have commented before that all three choices We voted on were great and it would be Nice to have all three pergola/arbors scattered in the yard for settings in different areas around the property…With all the re purposed wood they had from the Cottage, it wouldn't have been that expensive to have all three and the yard is so big they would look lovely in different areas of the property…What do you think???
    Can't keep up with ALL the activity… the Cam is having a hard time pleasing us all— I'm So Excited, I just Can't hide it!!!!!! Back to the Cam B)^_^<3 Have fun trying to keep up…LOL o.0

Jennie/Florida on May 9, 2013 at 10:45 am
  2. There is a beautiful antique piece sitting in the middle of the yard. I wonder what it is going to be used for. Since it will probably disappear while I am busy doing real life things, let me know if you figure it out.

Risinglight on May 9, 2013 at 10:47 am
  3. Not that there are a lot of people there, but it looks like a bunch of ants on a glazed donut.:D

540sam on May 9, 2013 at 10:50 am
  4. Wow ! ! ! ! What a great new picture and project to see! Went on yesterday in AM. Today a big WOW ! __Thank you DIY for a wonderful dock and all the information about the fish. Sounds like fun to watch the Dolphins and "go fishing" for dinner too ! Sorry,but sounds like a delicious meal and we do eat fiish from the market , so why not fresh from our own "back yard. It is great to get to see the new pictures but telling us all about what is there also. The information is teriffic for me to enjoy it even more , if that is possible ! A Huge Thank you Mary all all those responsible for making this such a wonderful project. DIY and all the entire team Thank you! You do a wonderful job and it is appreciated very much. a fortunate person is going to be soooooo happy. ;) <3 best to all Nan

Nan on May 9, 2013 at 11:19 am
  5. Okay, I read through every thing and maby I mist it. But dose any one know if there running Power and lights to the dock? Or water for that matter for washing the fish off? So far the work is great and the view is fantastic!!! B)

asandmancan on May 9, 2013 at 11:59 am
    • I don't know if there is water out to the dock or not….but I thought of another reason to have it…..you need to be able to hose down the ummmm evidence that birds have been resting there….birds are pigs! ;-)

karenlin91 on May 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm
    • LoL.. That works too!!!

asandmancan on May 9, 2013 at 11:27 pm
  6. I don't think that's a pergola by the pecans.

540sam on May 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm
    • You know, I posted below that I thought it must be a shed after all, because of the peaked roof………but why paint the posts and rafters if they are just going to be covered with shingles, etc…….I'm sitting here thinking I still don't know what it's going to be ;-)

karenlin91 on May 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm
    • Pergolas come in all shapes and sizes. I'm pretty sure this is one. It will be a great place to sit back and relax and enjoy a party.

Risinglight on May 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    • Also looks like it would be easy to screen in. Either with screen curtains or traditional fixed screens.

zulumom on May 9, 2013 at 2:39 pm
    • Thats whit I am thinking Zulumom. Since it looks like the porch wont be screened in. Maybe the are going to screen the pergola. It is looking good. I see they are filming someone putting on the shingles.

vicki_in_Utah on May 9, 2013 at 3:44 pm
    • Risinglight you are exactly right! I've seen hundreds of different pergola designs used on the DIY/ HGTV networks over the years. They usually offer shade over a patio providing a touch of definition to give an outdoor space more of a "room" feel.
      If bloggers are questioning this years pergola they should go back and look at the one DIY installed last year on the Maine home. It was a voted on item too. It was technically a pergola (a vine could be grown on it) but very different from what many of us bloggers were expecting. It served the purpose of decoration.

Mel on May 9, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    • Correct, but by definition pergolas don't have a solid roof. This is more like a pavillion. Maybe a protected area for an outdoor kitchen area or rain-proof area to sit near the firepit.

AnniesOwn on May 9, 2013 at 7:37 pm
    • In this hot coastal location the winner would be grateful for a solid roof !

DIY / HGTV has always pushed landscaping creativity to the MAX. In watching their landscaping shows I've seen them countless times change "structure" definitions…their designers don't follow the rules…they Recreate them in the most beautiful of ways! That's why hands down they are the MASTERS of landscaping design!
      I Love the complimentary architectural design of the home the custom pergola reflects, it also offers the winner a lovely outdoor living space with solid protection from the sun.

Mel on May 10, 2013 at 7:48 am
    • Clive mentioned at first he thought it could be a shed. Noy a pergola either I dont think, How about an outdoor entermainment area, screened, picnic tables and BBQ?

540sam on May 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm
    • Could be. I guess we will find out soon…

zulumom on May 9, 2013 at 6:09 pm
    • The more I'm looking at it the more it looks like a dining pavilion, which gives us a chance that it will be screened in, and that the pergola will go near the grape arbor. In any event only time will tell.

Risinglight on May 9, 2013 at 6:14 pm
    • Gardenhouse/Greenhouse???

Grammagail on May 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm
  7. Double WOW ! Just went to the site Mary suggested on Remodeling. Very informative. I learned a lot about the whole process. Thank you so much. My first time there. Will be going there again to lean. Thank you everyone.. Did not know what I was missing…… best to all ;) <3

Nan on May 9, 2013 at 12:05 pm
  8. Looks like Heaven! I can't wait to see more of it and dream, dream, dream!

bonnie on May 9, 2013 at 12:18 pm
  9. Deepest Gratitude & Love to all on the project. I LOVE MY NEW HOME and appreciate each one of you so very much!

Kitty on May 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm
  10. The dock today does not look like the above picture. Just saw on the cabin cam it is sure raining today. The dock still looks nice.

Candy on May 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    • Not sure what you're looking at. The dock above is exactly the same dock as in the Cabin Cam. Maybe the different angle of the photograph is confusing you.:)

Sally on May 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm