May 8

Along the Waterfront

Blog Cabin 2013 Water Views

A big part of Blog Cabin’s appeal is that phenomenal view of Core Sound. How is the remodeling team making the most of the home’s waterfront location? First, by making sure the newly renovated home offers views from every possible vantage point and then by providing a front-row seat to all the action. Rebuilding the dock took some creative thinking but now offers a spot to bask in the sun, nature watch (yes, dolphins play in these waters) and fish for flounder, red drum, croaker, mullet and skates.

To learn more, please visit the Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com where we’ve just launched features on waterfront views and dock reconstruction. I truly appreciate project manager Dylan Eastman’s sensitive, environmentally friendly approach to home remodeling and land development.

1. My observation from yesterday evening,. (a) Steps installed on the west side @ mudroom entrance(none were shown on the rendering). (b) 21a stone put down and tamped in the posted area under the pecan trees. (c)4×4 posts being painted white(perhaps to be used in landscaping or pergola). (d)Water hook up and relocation of electric to right side ramp of dock. (e) Covering applied to all windows so I cant peek in in the early hours

540sam on May 9, 2013 at 4:56 am
    • I knew that the minute they had the blinds hung, they would use them so we couldn't see in! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr ;-)

karenlin91 on May 9, 2013 at 8:50 am
    • I hope we have running water at the dock, and electricity too, down nearer to the water.

Risinglight on May 9, 2013 at 9:03 am
    • And it looks like the posts for the pergola have been painted white as well.

Risinglight on May 9, 2013 at 9:12 am
    • I doubt that the electrical power will be extended any farther down the dock….too much of a hazard. They did excavate a trench from the pump area down to the end of the dock, so maybe there will be water supplied there. What confused me yesterday were two electrical boxes and some conduit fittings lying on the right side of the dock, opposite the existing live electrical box on the left side. Maybe they will be mounting a light down there.

RLD on May 9, 2013 at 10:28 am
    • I should have read 540sam's post more carefully…..yup, the electrical box on the left side is gone…must have been relocated to the other side….though I can't figure out why.

RLD on May 9, 2013 at 11:25 am
    • Almost all docks that have power extend it all the way to the end. It's no problem with a GFI.

540sam on May 9, 2013 at 11:26 am
    • Sam, was it you or Clive who first said that the posts might be for a storage shed? You seem to have been right! Looks like we ARE getting a shed!! ;-)

karenlin91 on May 9, 2013 at 11:53 am
    • Clive.

540sam on May 9, 2013 at 4:31 pm
  2. Good Morning Everyone!! Sounds like I've missed a lot!! Now I have to go back and see all the pictures….

TishaStanley on May 9, 2013 at 5:57 am
  3. Looks fantastic! Great place to relax and melt the stress away:)

Marie on May 9, 2013 at 7:26 am
  4. Another beautiful morning B) getting ready for work see you when I get in.
    A lot of activity wow what a surprise I'll have to look forward too, can't wait to get home tonight.
    Everyone have a blessed and productive day.;);)<3

MaryPA on May 9, 2013 at 7:35 am
  5. Good Thurs. morn. to all! Gorgeous dock and setting! Lots of activity this morn. at the cabin! Looks like a marked out line for possibly the fence for pets. Also lots of wood delivered. Ooooh sooo exciting! Also did you notice the windows are all blacked out (covered up)! Keeping us all in suspense! He-hee!^_^

amberPA on May 9, 2013 at 8:10 am
    • amberPA,

Good mornin to you, too. I tried looking into the cabin, too. There must be a HUGE surprise. I also thought they had hung some flowers onto the porch. When I zoomed in, realized it was only the special lighting left on the porch. They wouldn't put flowers in when everyone's workin. Excited about seeing this beauty!

Trish on May 9, 2013 at 8:29 am
    • Vicki in utah, says they did that to the windows because they must be filming. Can't wait to see what is going on in there! You are probably right, it must be something huge and/or another wonderful surprise! Have a great eve.!^_^

amberPA on May 9, 2013 at 7:24 pm
    • LOL. That's not the reason. It's for filming inside and to get the paint & decorating done properly. It's fun to speculate but they don't cover the windows to stop us seeing what's happening. ;)

AnniesOwn on May 9, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    • AnniesOwn,
      Oh that is probably more like what they were doing this morning. Vicki did say filming on the inside and getting proper lighting. I never thought about the painting process though! Your so smart! Thanks for the info!

amberPA on May 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm
    • Thanks but it was Clive who told us about the painting and lights. I asked a designer I know an she agreed. It's a lot easier to work in artificial light or indirect sunlight but not direct sunlight with strong shadows. :)

AnniesOwn on May 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm
    • Thats funny, right after I commented on the old windows on the divider wall containing old pictures in the window frames, they covered them, within hours.

540sam on May 10, 2013 at 8:30 am
    • Good Morning, amberPA!!! There is a lot of work going on today…I'm getting more and more excited every day…not sure I can contain it all…LOL. When I tried zooming in, I ended up panning…I will KEEP trying, though

TishaStanley on May 9, 2013 at 9:12 am
    • Tisha,
      How are you doing and your friends? Good to hear from you!!! Hope all are doing better each day. LOL about the panning around the cabin…it usually happens to me when it is extremely busy! Sometimes it takes me off to a patch of grass! He-hee! Other times it will just freeze me where everyone else is looking. It's all good though! Have you been to the dock today? I have not, will try again soon. Have a great eve.^_^

amberPA on May 9, 2013 at 7:22 pm
    • Amber,
      Hi!! My friends, Anthony and Megan, well, Anthony is doing fantastic. He's on the rehab floor making remarkable progress. The doctors didn't expect him to make it but he has and he has his memory and motor skills. Megan can now have visitors and mail, but is not allowed to talk about what happened because it is an ongoing thing. As for me, well, I guess I'm okay, as in I'm working on my last homework assignment and getting ready for 2 finals–one kitchen and one bathroom, Had to make a trip to the ICU for my great-aunt who had to have emergency dialysis. Doctor wanted to talk to my cousin and I about putting her in a nursing home—we had to "skirt" around that, because she would have a canary—we told the doc. that it is a good idea but to put it as she is going to a rehab to gain strength, She's 73, has dementia and today the year is 1960–no 1975…and that's how my day/week has been.

How are you doing? I've not been looking at the cabin tooooo much, I get distracted…LOL, and I can't do that yet…What I have seen, though has made me love this cabin more and more!!!
      Have a wonderful evening, hope to "see" you in the morning.

TishaStanley on May 9, 2013 at 10:07 pm
    • Tisha, talk about distractions! I'm glad Anthony is doing so well, and Megan is at least able to know of your support…..and now you're aunt! Hang in there with your finals and know we are thinking of you ;-)

karenlin91 on May 10, 2013 at 7:38 am
    • Tisha, I am sooooo glad to hear that Anthony is doing so much better! Also, it sounds like Megan is doing as well as she can, my thoughts are still with them both! You must be completely exhausted by now, with finals, and all your cares and worries. I hope when you look at the cabin some of your burdens and cares can be lifted for a moment. You seem to be such a caring person, they are all lucky to have you in their lives. Your great aunt really knows you care, even if she might forget for an instant.

Keep your chin up and I hope you do GREAT on your finals. Have a terrific week and remember…..
      breath that fresh ocean air,
      feel the cool damp breeze in your hair,
      and the warm sunshine on your face,
      listen to the splashing sound of the water lapping against the shoreline,
      as you dangle your feet off of that wonderful dock at the blog cabin!^_^

amberPA on May 13, 2013 at 10:28 pm
    • They black out the windows when they are filming, so the light from the outside doesn't interfere. So we know which room they are filming now. LOL

vicki_in_Utah on May 9, 2013 at 9:55 am
    • Vicki,
      Thanks for the info. Wow, can't wait to see what is going on in there! We will all be so surprised and I am sure it will be wonderful!^_^ Have a great eve.!

amberPA on May 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm
  6. Good morning folks- I hope everyone does not get whiplash, from trying to watch everything happening today. :)
    Have a spectacular Thursday….gotta run.

Builder on May 9, 2013 at 9:51 am
    • We won't be getting whiplash if the camera doesn't respond. :(

Risinglight on May 9, 2013 at 10:16 am
    • Camera seems to be ok now….

RLD on May 9, 2013 at 10:22 am
  7. I love the new pics of the dock, and the rebuilding of, and am super impressed that the posts are 8' into the ground……that should hold 'em for a while! Also the angle from the cam makes it look like the dock doesn't go out very far. The new angle in the pic shows that it does go out as far as the old one! That also makes me think that maybe the pergola (?) isn't quite as close to the pecan trees as it looks from the angle we are seeing……
    As others have said, these guys, all of them, are working their BUTTS off! And in the process creating a beautiful home worthy of the setting! Impressive! Thanks to all involved and to DIY! (Now if you'd just leave us our signs ) ;-)

karenlin91 on May 9, 2013 at 9:56 am
  8. I just viewed the pics of the construction of the dock. Very impressive!

As for the pecan trees……pecans on salads, pecan pies, pecans in baked breads…..Hope the winner appreciates how wonderful they are! I know I would. :)

Trish on May 9, 2013 at 10:13 am
  9. Morning everyone! Looks like it's another beautiful day at the cabin. It's over cast here and raining, but we really need the rain. The dock looks so wonderful, we all see ourselves sitting out on the end with cup of coffee in the morning, or a glass of wine in the evening. ( WELL MAYBE NOT ALL) :) I see that the ropes are still hanging on the tree branch. Hope they stay! Well I'm off , have a wonderful day everyone!B)

WE-Z on May 9, 2013 at 10:25 am
  10. Last week, I was fortunate to be watching the cabin cam as it captured an image of a dolphin jumping back into the water, near the pier. The head was already submerged, but the body was up in the air. In the past, I had only seen fins. Can you imagine watching such a sight from the pier or the balcony.

RitaANewYorker on May 9, 2013 at 10:36 am
    • not a real one(dolphin). Only seen at SeaWorld or tv-watched -Flipper growing up. Can't wait to see in person, esp. my grandson. I'd be as excited as him. Looking forward to pecans -this pecans that pecan and I agree with everyone YOU GUYS are working so hard and doing such a beautiful job I bet you would love a chance to win bc . You should feel very proud of what you do

bogartandbacall on May 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm