May 8

Along the Waterfront

Blog Cabin 2013 Water Views

A big part of Blog Cabin’s appeal is that phenomenal view of Core Sound. How is the remodeling team making the most of the home’s waterfront location? First, by making sure the newly renovated home offers views from every possible vantage point and then by providing a front-row seat to all the action. Rebuilding the dock took some creative thinking but now offers a spot to bask in the sun, nature watch (yes, dolphins play in these waters) and fish for flounder, red drum, croaker, mullet and skates.

To learn more, please visit the Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com where we’ve just launched features on waterfront views and dock reconstruction. I truly appreciate project manager Dylan Eastman’s sensitive, environmentally friendly approach to home remodeling and land development.

1. I saw the guys when they used a machine to pull out the grapevine root system.. So heart breaking when I saw that, But maybe We have another Surprise…As I was panning through those bushes they haven't planted yet that's up under the pine trees.. I think I spotted some New Grape Vines plants in pots…..I'm not sure, but they look like Grape vines to me :p^_^:) When you get a chance go back see what you think!!! Maybe there is hope yet:p Of Course it's not the Robinson's hand planted grapes vines but the New Owner will at least get to enjoy the grapes….

Jennie/Florida on May 13, 2013 at 11:31 am
    • PS If those are New grape vines in containers, I think We have to Thank OUR Jason for those because they were brought in this morning in the black truck and I think Jason was driving…:p^_^:)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 13, 2013 at 11:51 am
  2. The porch wired and brown rails are going back up and the stairs are now placed back – looks right where they were before. What was all that about yesterday?:oo.0:oo.0 I am positively super befuddled! The new rustic pergola is going in, unfortunately the location will be partially blocking the cabin cam view of the house. Maybe they'll move the camera over a bit? For those who were worried about the muscadine grapevines being cut down. I kept watching those vines and when they greened up it looked to me like it was just briar vine, a thorny weed vine that grows in the wild. I couldn't see any foliage that looked at all like grapes, so I don't think they removed anything valuable. It will be lovely if they replant the new arbor with grapes.:p<3

SID on May 13, 2013 at 11:39 am
    • Hi Sid, I'm totally confused as to why they keep moving and changing things around..Maybe Everybody wasn't on the Same page and needed to regroup!:) I don't want to miss any of the landscaping..Just love it all!!
      Sid I watched the new growth on the Vines and thought they looked pretty healthy except they needed to be pruned to cut out the dead…Muscadine grapes are wild grapes and the foliage is different from the other grapes…I hope Jason got more to replace them..I think I saw some in containers over by the trees.Yeah! Maybe?
      Sid If Everyone will make a plea to Mary and Mr. Eastman to get the Camera Cam moved We can see
      the rest of the landscaping, maybe they will do it…If not, we won't get to see a big part of the Foyer side completed!!! That's like reading a Good book and not finishing the last chapter because you misplaced the book….Bummer..We're having a beautiful day of 83 degrees, a little breeze and not a cloud in the sky..Just Beautiful B)<3….Going to work in the yard B)<3 Have A Good Day!!!:)^_^B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    • Looks like, "Out with the old, In with the new". Personally, I really like the location of the pergola, and what they are doing around it.

Those bushes in front of the porch are far superior, in my opinion, compared to the plants there before. Jason loves to plant those low growing bushes that hide what is behind, yet does not grow any taller to block the view. He has done this numerous times. He is one very intelligent person, with lots of great ideas. On top of that he has one great personality. Is everyone getting excited, yet ??

Builder on May 13, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    • Builder, Is he married?:D:p<3Boo

Boo on May 13, 2013 at 7:36 pm
    • I'm not Builder, but I think Jason is definitely married!!!

Jennie/Florida on May 13, 2013 at 11:55 pm
    • Jennie, :'(Boo

Boo on May 14, 2013 at 3:51 am
    • I do not know what difference that makes, but, Yes, I am definitely married, with 5 children, and 3 terrific grandchildren. Been a carpenter, craftsman, landscaper, plumber, electrician, etc. my entire life. Hope that answers your question. Have a great day. :) :)

Builder on May 14, 2013 at 7:33 am
    • I think she asked because she thinks you are connected with the build, so she thought you knew Jason.

540sam on May 14, 2013 at 12:24 pm
    • Thank you, 540sam. And sorry, Builder, I was just trying to inject a little humor into your obviously, very complimentary comment on Jason Cameron. And, I was asking if he was married, not if you were married. So, unless you are indeed, Jason Cameron, you need not worry! :D Boo

Boo on May 14, 2013 at 3:20 pm
  3. Pergola: Latin for, view blocker.

540sam on May 13, 2013 at 11:50 am
    • Hi Sam, I'm surprised they are installing the Pergola on the left side of the old G/V arbor facing the Cottage..I thought they would put it on the right side closer to the property line and not block any Cottage views..Oh well,
      maybe from the Camera Cam it just looks like the views will be blocked, can't really tell..Have to wait and see.B)^_^

Jennie/Florida on May 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    • This new pergola is certainly going to block a lot of our view of the cabin……Do you think now is the time to start begging for the camera to be moved over a little?????

karenlin91 on May 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm
    • I'm with you Karen, I was just going to suggest that to All the Bloggers who wants to see the rest of
      the Landscaping done…as I commented to Sam, I think they should have set the Pergola on the right side of the old grapevine Arbor facing Cottage.. Can't see Foyer area and what ever else we might miss because the Pergola has our view blocked!!!:(B)
      BTW… I love the three layered bushes and flowers in front of the porch and the Palm on the end, very attractive and lush looking…Jason has good taste in Plants and flowers and uses the best…:p<3B)

Jennie/Florida on May 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm
  4. I went back to the cam. It was working for a little then went back to panorama mode :S! It is driving me crazy!!! haha I am so excited to see what is going on. I love the bird bath they put under the tree near the firepit. I wanna see…… haha Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 13, 2013 at 11:52 am
  5. I love all the flowers and bushes they are planting infront of the house! It is going to be sooooo pretty. The cam is not working too well for me today. I think we are all trying at the same time. haha Looks like they are going to put a new grape vine area in the same place. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 13, 2013 at 12:03 pm
  6. Hey Kitty, we guessed correctly for the pergola. Not quite what I expected but so glad it's her and not back up under the trees. Now to enjoy the views and watch the kids play on the beach while under some shade too. B)

Clive on May 13, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    • Yup, Clive! But presently there seems to be some view obstruction, which should be eliminated pronto! I sure hope there were no latent muscadine grapevines in that last batch of vines removed from the new pergola! I haven't been on the blog much lately and haven't commented on the outside covered BBQ eating area. I'm not clear as to HOW clear the Pecan branches are from the open fire pit. One of my favorite Southern things to munch upon is taking raw peanuts in-shell, soaking them in salty water, then boiling them till they're kinda' soft/chewable (keep refrigerated and eat when the mood strikes). Not the same as roasted pecans… Actually, I'd prefer to season and roast my pecans in my oven–indoors–outside, they might turn into kindling…. A little concerned about that. Is that a turn-around drive they're making around that area? And yes, Vicki, Palm trees CAN grow in the Southern States, such as NC and VA but we have to wrap the leaves against the stalk to protect them during winters. And it appears we'll now have no more Cabin Cam, based upon latest feed/thread update. So now, let the REAL GUESSING GAMES BEGIN!! Have a great week, Clive and all Bloggies!B);):D Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 13, 2013 at 6:20 pm
  7. Here's a little diversion for over-excited bloggers who are tired of the camera not responding and love a little history and mystery. It involves muscadine vines and the Outer Banks also.

While helping our daughter and two friends research some facts about Sir Walter Raleigh, the English 16th C adventurer, explorer and colony starter in this area, we came across the story / mystery of the Mother Vineyard of Roanoak Island. Concidentally, we came across the article on 'Mothers Day'. ;)

Raleigh is credited with introducing England and eventually the rest of Europe to the potato and tobacco but he reported on other plants too. It also reminds us of just how dependent the early English and European colonists were on the native peoples for their survival. :)

Clive on May 13, 2013 at 1:12 pm
    • Thanks Clive, that was very informative. I would like to taste those.

vicki_in_Utah on May 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm
    • Kinda makes you wonder how they made pizza without tomatoes.xD

540sam on May 13, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    • Thanks, that was interesting.

Ally on May 13, 2013 at 5:44 pm
  8. Do you all see the orange spray paint path winding it's way to the pergola? Is that for a walk way or plants? I can't tell it kind of looks like a guy is planting inside of the orange lines?

rsl73 on May 13, 2013 at 1:25 pm
  9. Dear Mary and Mr. Eastman, We were really enjoying watching Chris, Jason and Desperate Landscapes and all the other talented Guys grooming the yard but once they put up the Pergola where the Grapevines are, We are unable to see most of the Cottage or any activity around the Foyer and other areas that haven't been done. Could You Pleaasseee have them to Move the Camera Cam over closer to the Center of the Yard so we will get to see the "Rest" of the Landscaping??? We Bloggers would really Appreciate it…Pretty Please:p^_^:$:):D<3<3

Jennie/Florida on May 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm
  10. OKay – next question…two pilings placed outside the new pergola; is this a decorative "gateway to the dock? Look for some stepping stones from there to the ramp. And it really looks like those pilings and the timbers making up the pergola are repurposed – possibly from the old dock?

Ishmael on May 13, 2013 at 2:34 pm