May 8

Along the Waterfront

Blog Cabin 2013 Water Views

A big part of Blog Cabin’s appeal is that phenomenal view of Core Sound. How is the remodeling team making the most of the home’s waterfront location? First, by making sure the newly renovated home offers views from every possible vantage point and then by providing a front-row seat to all the action. Rebuilding the dock took some creative thinking but now offers a spot to bask in the sun, nature watch (yes, dolphins play in these waters) and fish for flounder, red drum, croaker, mullet and skates.

To learn more, please visit the Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com where we’ve just launched features on waterfront views and dock reconstruction. I truly appreciate project manager Dylan Eastman’s sensitive, environmentally friendly approach to home remodeling and land development.

1. LOOOOOOVE IT!!!

Angela on May 12, 2013 at 11:47 pm
  2. WANNNNNT IT!!!

Angela on May 12, 2013 at 11:47 pm
  3. NEEEED IT!!! :) :P

Angela on May 12, 2013 at 11:47 pm
  4. Very confused… what happened to the landscape and porch railings? I see a post digger moving around now and several posts on the ground down toward the pier. I'll have to check in later and see what they are up to. Have a wonderfully blessed Monday all!

rsl73 on May 13, 2013 at 7:06 am
  5. Ok everybody mystery solved the landscape crew is here and they are delivering a truck load of stuff.
    I'll see what happened when I get home tonight all y'all have a great day. B)<3<3;)

MaryPA on May 13, 2013 at 7:33 am
  6. Do Palm trees really grow in NC? I see some in the back of a black truck,with Chris Grundy and Jason looking at them. It looks like they are really going to get a lot done today.

vicki_in_Utah on May 13, 2013 at 8:36 am
    • Vicki, I do know of at least one species of palm tree that is hardy in that climate zone, the Windmill Palm. I have two 12 foot tall Windmill Palms myself, they grow well here in central AR (zone 7b- which I think is the same zone as this years BC). I believe wp can survive as far north as zone 6b. :D

SID on May 13, 2013 at 11:20 am
    • Palmettto palm does just fine there.

540sam on May 13, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    • Thank you SID and 540sam I know they live fine in So. Calif, but they keep trying to grown them in Mesquite Nv (100 miles NE of Vegas) which isn't to far from me. and they keep freezing and dieing. Even though it gets over 120 in the summer, the winters can be cold there.

vicki_in_Utah on May 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm
  7. Yeaaaaaaaa, I'm getting my Palmettos.

540sam on May 13, 2013 at 8:42 am
  8. To all Bloggers who loved the Grapevines…It appears that they have cut them down!!:( If Mr. Eastman and Mary have been reading Our comments, they would know how much the Bloggers wanted the Grapevine Arbor to be repaired an save the Vines…I'm sooo sad!!! :(

Jennie/Florida on May 13, 2013 at 9:49 am
    • Whaaaaaat? Say it isn't so!!!!!!!! Maybe there's only been a pruning back. My hub did this with the tree and our neighbors thought he was nuts. THIS year….full blooms and GORGEOUS! So….I'm hoping this is temporary.

Trish on May 13, 2013 at 9:59 am
    • Sorrry Trish, ain't nothin there.

540sam on May 13, 2013 at 11:47 am
    • Jennie and Trish……I just saw it……looks like a lot more than pruning back……trying not to cry here…one of the things that caught me was the muscadines……..;-(

karenlin91 on May 13, 2013 at 10:11 am
    • I am sure they have something planned for that area that will just amaze us. They definately could not leave it there like that. The design team is just so amazing!! I would be happy to move in right now just as it sits it is so beautiful. haha I do think DIY takes in consideration what the bloggers want. Sometimes it is possible and sometimes it is not. Who knows, they might put is somewhere away from the beautiful backyard. They maybe just moving and will make a garden area also on the other side, who knows. I do know that if they don't put it back I think who ever wins will be just as satisfied. Who could ask for more than what they have already done? Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 13, 2013 at 11:33 am
    • The cam seems to be working again. I think they could possibly be making a new grapevine area in the same place. They are definately making something the could definately grow vines on in the same area. They way it was definately needed to be upgraded to look more beautiful than the way it was. I hope the bloggers do get what they want but like I said I would take the home just as it sits. It is sooooo beautiful one definately couldn't ask for more! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on May 13, 2013 at 11:43 am
    • Hi Jennie, Wow, just another disappointment. I hope that if those are, indeed, new grapevines planted at the end of the pergola, that they will survive and thrive. I keep wanting to turn back the clock to before they

did the porch and balcony treatments. I'm afraid that the steel cable and brown posts are just not doing it for me. Everytime I go to the blog page, there is that ad for Window World that shows a house (larger, but in the style and color of the BC), that shows me how the BC could have, and IMO, should have looked! Well, I guess that whatever they do from now on, we will have no say in, so we need to just sit back and relax. And pray. <3<3Boo

Boo on May 13, 2013 at 8:09 pm
    • I looked at the cam. Oh my! When I showed it to my hub, he said…maybe it had poison ivy. OK…if it had some poison ivy.

Trish on May 13, 2013 at 8:47 pm
    • Jennie I Absolutely believe this is the most SPECTACULAR yard Jason has ever done!!

But along with that I am a Country girl, and I know better than training muscadines on a pergola. We grew muscadines and my father-in-law has vines over 80 years old. You would be sitting under a large bird feeder!! Best to wear a large brim hat, and light colored clothes, because you will get splattered :)
      Plus you could never harvest the grapes from the top of the pergola. I only had a few minutes to see the finished landscaping so I didn't see the new vines. If those are muscadines I would suggest that the winner grow them on a simple arbor back a bit from any outdoor sitting area. This is not a post of criticism if those are muscadine vines, but one of practicality from one who knows how dearly birds would love to sit and eat the grapes and more than likely p-o-o-p as they were doing it.

Mel on May 14, 2013 at 5:14 am
  9. YIKES where did the grape vine go? I thought maybe they just moved the pergola over.. but when I tried to move the camera over it went to pan…

vicki_in_Utah on May 13, 2013 at 10:44 am
  10. WOW the yard is really coming together beautifully! I just love it! I was looking at everything and then the cam went to panorama mode :S. I did see all the new flowers and bushes they had been working on. The paragoda and fire pit is so nice. I am in awww!! What a beautiful place that someone will be able to live in. This is going to be a dream come true for who ever the lucky winner is. I believe out of all of the houses DIY have done this is definately my favorite. It is just the right size for a small family, the property has so much natural beauty and what really amazes me is that they haven't even finished it yet. I have to really give the design team a shout out, "YOU HAVE DONE SUCH AN AMAZING JOB ON THIS ONE!! Much Love!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Rebecca on May 13, 2013 at 11:22 am